[ rss / options / help ]
post ]
[ b / iq / g / zoo ] [ e / news / lab ] [ v / nom / pol / eco / emo / 101 / shed ]
[ art / A / beat / boo / com / fat / job / lit / map / mph / poof / £$€¥ / spo / uhu / uni / x / y ] [ * | sfw | o ]
logo
random
Subject   (new thread)
Message
File  []
close
whiteline
_106024950_052666919-1.jpg
425684425684425684
>> No. 425684 Anonymous
5th April 2019
Friday 11:36 pm
425684 spacer
So am I the only one who is getting a bit annoyed by this whole Greta Thunberg cult, or am I just too much of a cold hearted cynic that the world would be better off without?

I don't doubt the legitimate concern of her generation over climate change, after all it will fall to them to sort out the utter fucking mess that we have left the planet in, but all the awards that she is now being showered with are IMO just middle aged and old people's guilt over their own failure to save the planet's climate despite having had decades of prior warning, and who lost their way and succumbed to high carbon footprint consumerism somewhere between 1990s road protest villages and today's school runs in a 4x4. None of it feels sincere or genuine, it's more like, yeah, just take all these awards and shut the hell up already.

And parents whose children now protest every Friday or so are now engaging in pissing matches on twitter and Instagram to show off which one of their kids gets the most involved. As one commenter said, nothing good has ever come of a youth protest movement that was applauded by parents.
115 posts and 14 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 426070 Anonymous
19th April 2019
Friday 9:50 pm
426070 spacer
>>426068

>>426068

>Presumably the figure is being dragged right down by short flights

That'd be my assumption too. There are a lot of domestic short hauls with small planes that will bring that down. Even just looking at my local airport for the last couple of hours, there's been three or four 70-odd seat Dash 8 for every 150-300 pax jet, and the former are rarely fully loaded mid-week.

I reckon yank city hoppers like Austin to Dallas are underpopulated and flown frequently, too.
>> No. 426071 Anonymous
19th April 2019
Friday 11:30 pm
426071 spacer
>>426064
I guess if you don't like one of your coworkers we should just acidify the oceans and abandon green energy wholesale then, it's the only possibly conclusion to you having an annoying workmate who may or may not exist.
>> No. 426072 Anonymous
19th April 2019
Friday 11:34 pm
426072 spacer
>>426061
I get the feeling that a lot of the professional whiners who complained about Emma Thompson flying to London might have missed a crucial detail about the commercial flight she took to get there. With or without her, that plane was going to fly anyway. The inefficiencies in flying are related to large shipments of fresh air being flown across a continent.

People are right to notice that action on the individual level is a marginal gain at best, but go ask Sir David Brailsford what he thinks of marginal gains.
>> No. 426073 Anonymous
19th April 2019
Friday 11:48 pm
426073 spacer
>>426068

The average scheduled long-haul flight does about 114g/CO2e per passenger kilometre. An economy-only charter aircraft with near-100% occupancy can manage 68g/pkm. After applying a conservative 1.9x multiplier to account for altitude effects, the climate impact per mile is roughly equivalent to a single occupant in a large SUV. In the best case scenario, aviation is still pretty bad.

There's also the obvious fact that the speed of jet aviation allows people to rack up massive mileages without really noticing it. The sustainable limit is about 2,000kg/CO2e per person per year, which would be gobbled up by a transatlantic return flight. Driving 7,000 miles in a big car over the course of a year feels like a lot of travel, but a long weekend in New York sort of doesn't. It's really hard to see how jet aviation can possibly fit into a sustainable transport mix.

http://lipasto.vtt.fi/yksikkopaastot/henkiloliikennee/ilmaliikennee/ilmae.htm
>> No. 426074 Anonymous
19th April 2019
Friday 11:58 pm
426074 spacer
>>426060

>Anyone who criticises air travel usually misses the critical detail that for miles travelled and the number of people serviced it is profoundly efficient in terms of carbon footprint.

The point that you are missing though is that it's not a question about airplanes using less fuel per distance per person than your car, which they undoubtedly do, but that you choose to go to those far away destinations in the first place instead of spending your holiday somewhere closer. Even if you drive your car to the south of Spain, with two occupants and luggage, in total, you will have burned less fuel than you would on your round trip to Australia. Say you go to Gibraltar by car. Google Maps says that's about 1,475 miles from London. Let's assume your car gets 25 miles to the gallon, that means 118 gallons of fuel will be needed for the round trip.

If you take a plane to Australia and back, that's roughly 20,000 miles, and a Boeing 747 is said to get around 100 miles per gallon per person. That's 200 gallons of fuel burned on your round trip, per person. But if there are two people going to Gibraltar in your car, you will have consumed only 59 gallons per person. So your trip to Australia has used nearly three and a half times as much fuel as driving your car to Gibraltar and back.

So even if you argue that passenger airplanes are more fuel efficient than cars (you could also rightly say that flying to Gibraltar would use even less fuel per person), the problem is that too many people go on long-distance flights too often, mainly because commercial air travel has simply become too cheap. And part of the problem are all the no-frills airlines of the last 20 years. It may be all good fun to go on a stag do to Latvia for 100 quid round trip, but it just isn't an environmentally friendly business model, because it means air traffic as a whole has become too much. I remember we once flew to Alicante some 25 years ago, and the price per person round-trip for the tickets was around £300. As I said, 25 years ago. In today's money, that would probably be around £500. And people accepted that air travel was expensive, and that it meant that you could only afford it about once a year, and usually not much further afield than Alicante. A friend of my dad's used to fly to Los Angeles for business occasionally around the same time, and he always said something that it cost his employer £600 to £700 each time with British Airways.

whiteline
133_Hearty_Bangers_Mash_plated.jpg
424669424669424669
>> No. 424669 Anonymous
2nd March 2019
Saturday 2:35 pm
424669 spacer
Weekend thread: bangers and mash edition.

If that lad with all the instant mash is about then I may have a business proposition for him; I went a bit overboard buying wholesale bags of Quorn sausages from Farmfoods.
219 posts and 21 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 426052 Anonymous
19th April 2019
Friday 7:01 pm
426052 spacer

Untitled.png
426052426052426052
I still have a bit of a cold and I'm supposed to be going out with a bird tomorrow. Anyway, my cold was better this morning but I wanted to clean myself out a bit so I looked online for things to do:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sinusitis-sinus-infection/

Turns out I'm a bit thick though. Maybe it was the substituting bicarbinet of soda with baking soda or getting frustrated with the hand sniffing and opting for a bottle I can squeeze water into my nose with. Maybe I just used too much salt. At any rate, my sinuses are now very, very angry with me. I'm sure some /A/ lads will know the pain.

What can I do? She's done a good job getting in my head. I like her and had planned on asking if she wanted to take this into a relationship. Hence the stupidity.
>> No. 426057 Anonymous
19th April 2019
Friday 7:20 pm
426057 spacer
>>426052

Most 'cold relief' tablets will ease sinus inflammation, as will ibuprofen.

I wouldn't fuck about squirting salt up your nose again m8. A teaspoon in a pint still seems like it'd irritate your mucous membranes.

Also, bicarb of soda and baking soda are exactly the same thing. Baking powder is different, that's bicarb with an acid added, so if you used baking powder no fucking wonder your head hurts, that's like snorting a bag of Tangfastics flavouring.
>> No. 426065 Anonymous
19th April 2019
Friday 8:13 pm
426065 spacer
>>426057
Oh don't worry, I shan't. Bit surprised the NHS would put something like this out.

>Baking powder is different, that's bicarb with an acid added, so if you used baking powder no fucking wonder your head hurts, that's like snorting a bag of Tangfastics flavouring.

Yeah that's the one. God help me.
>> No. 426066 Anonymous
19th April 2019
Friday 8:34 pm
426066 spacer

640x360.jpg
426066426066426066
"You know how the BBC have Inside The Factory and Channel Four have Food Unwrapped? We should make our own copycat version, but we'll have to make it shite because that's what we do here at Channel Five."

"I know just the man."
>> No. 426075 Anonymous
20th April 2019
Saturday 12:12 am
426075 spacer
>>426066

For a split second, I thought that was Jeremy Clarkson in that picture.

He could indeed make an Inside the Factory knock off that would be mind-numbingly shite.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the biggest industrial meat grinder IN THE WORRRRLLD!"

whiteline
5472.jpg
425967425967425967
>> No. 425967 Anonymous
18th April 2019
Thursday 2:14 am
425967 spacer
so porn is comming to an end my friends

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/apr/17/online-pornography-age-checks-to-be-mandatory-in-uk-from-15-july

what are you going to do now
25 posts and 2 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 426013 Anonymous
19th April 2019
Friday 4:42 am
426013 spacer
This story isn't about porn, it's about corruption and ineptitude.

The main corporate backers of age verification are a company called MindGeek, who provided extensive technical advice to DCMS. MindGeek are the world's largest internet porn company. Coincidentally, MindGeek also own AgeID, which was the first age verification platform to be approved as compliant with the legislation.

It's a blatant land grab by MindGeek. They own nearly all of the most popular free and paid porn sites; as of July, they'll also own the main platform that will allow UK consumers to access online porn. The manifold conflicts of interest should be obvious. They'll gain vast amounts of personal data on porn viewers, they'll gain huge amounts of leverage over smaller porn companies and they'll have an obvious route to push people towards paid products, because the most convenient way of verifying your age is by using a credit card.

The biggest porn company in the world spoke to the British government, said "we'd love to help you implement this age verification law" and nobody in government expressed the slightest bit of skepticism about their interest. The government effectively gave a private company carte blanche to change the law of the land, and they did so in a way that gives them a massive commercial advantage.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/23/17043978/uk-porn-age-verification-law-mindgeek
>> No. 426017 Anonymous
19th April 2019
Friday 10:27 am
426017 spacer
>>426006
>Culture influences people.

It does and it doesn't, that's why I'm asking for clear facts and figures on how it's has influenced people. We can't make laws that so heavily censor the internet and leave us with serious privacy concerns on a hunch that "culture influences people" because you got tango'd twenty years ago. Even when that happened no one set up a soft-drink drinkers register and required people to bring photo ID if they wanted a dandilion and burdock.
>> No. 426049 Anonymous
19th April 2019
Friday 5:00 pm
426049 spacer
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/apr/19/uks-porn-age-verification-rules-can-be-circumvented-in-minutes

If they maintain this level of incompetence, then bypassing it will be easy.
>> No. 426050 Anonymous
19th April 2019
Friday 5:37 pm
426050 spacer
Can we assume that the ID providers will do the absolute minimum possible? What's the benefit to them in making it robust, s long as it's deemed adequate?
If they start needing to pull a token penny off a credit card, there are going to be a lot of pre-paids being used once and snuffed. That, or I'll take paypal payments, give me a quid and I'll load a penny onto my card for you to use.
It's just all so cretinous. Still, hardly worse than government gateway, eh?
>> No. 426053 Anonymous
19th April 2019
Friday 7:05 pm
426053 spacer
>>426050
One of the two main providers owns the majority of the free "tube" sites, and are less than rigorous when it comes to enforcing the copyright of their paid competitors whose content end up uploaded to said sites, so if they want to be competitive they'll have to do more than the bare minimum to get by.

whiteline
fosters-advert-medium.jpg
364298364298364298
>> No. 364298 Anonymous
14th November 2013
Thursday 4:47 pm
364298 spacer
ITT: Weird dreams you've had lately.

I actually dreamed last night that I was in Australia, visiting the two blokes from the Foster's adverts in their beach hut. Sure enough, they gave me a Foster's, and I said "cheers, guys"... and then one of them said to me "oh no mayt, we don't say cheers heere. We say 'You little ripper!'"

Quite bizarre... has this dream got any deeper meaning, or have I just been watching too much telly lately?
1917 posts and 161 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 425683 Anonymous
5th April 2019
Friday 11:34 pm
425683 spacer
>>425630

Did you have to Stand Back?
>> No. 425832 Anonymous
12th April 2019
Friday 2:20 pm
425832 spacer
I woke and came on here to discover the post number and Anonymous had swapped sides. Then I woke up properly and they've always been that way.
>> No. 425858 Anonymous
13th April 2019
Saturday 9:03 am
425858 spacer
I was editing together an episode of It's Always Sunny where the gang turn into the Fly from the film The Fly, and also George Lucas was in the episode, also turning into a Fly monster.
>> No. 425917 Anonymous
15th April 2019
Monday 9:40 am
425917 spacer
I just now had a dream where I was toying around with bottle rockets that I had modified and wanted to get to fly 500 metres high and explode with a particularly big boom. But the rocket that I then lit up failed miserably and exploded on a neighbour's roof. My neighbour was getting ready to call the police, and I had to persuade him not to, by promising that I would never do something like that again.
>> No. 426010 Anonymous
19th April 2019
Friday 1:21 am
426010 spacer
I had a dream last night that my indoor plants, like my ficus and dracaena and rubber tree, had grown into kind of an indoor forest that was consuming my whole livingroom.

Kind of a cool thought, to have your place covered in vegetation like that. Maybe I will do that for real someday.

whiteline
honeymonster.jpg
425247425247425247
>> No. 425247 Anonymous
18th March 2019
Monday 1:45 pm
425247 spacer
New mid-week thread.

I've got the feeling I was meant to look something up but I can't remember what and it's bugging me.
216 posts and 17 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 425952 Anonymous
17th April 2019
Wednesday 8:12 pm
425952 spacer
>>425951
I've got this album on CD. It's fucking amazing. I want a live show of it.

Get another Kickstarter going, Kunt.
>> No. 425961 Anonymous
17th April 2019
Wednesday 10:12 pm
425961 spacer

IDShot_540x540.jpg
425961425961425961
I made the mistake of buying Smarties mini eggs because they were 90g for £1 whereas Cadbury's are 80g for the same price. I should have gone with quality over quantity.
>> No. 425969 Anonymous
18th April 2019
Thursday 2:37 am
425969 spacer
>>425961
I cannot believe it is Easter already.
>> No. 425997 Anonymous
18th April 2019
Thursday 3:45 pm
425997 spacer
>>425436
>I've always liked Michael Young's framing of meritocracy: a term he coined in the negative, describing a class unto itself.

Does the rise in the so-called meritocracy coincide with the decline of industry in this country? If you back 50/60 years then it didn't matter if you didn't try hard at school because it was almost guaranteed that there'd be a job for you for life at the local factory, down the pit or whatever. There may have been lower social mobility but those at the bottom were still able to build a nice, if somewhat modest, life for themselves where they could afford to buy a house from a relatively early age.

My Dad left school at the age of 14 and spent almost 35 years working in the same factory, a job he got because his brother worked there. I don't think he ever earned much more than £20,000 before he retired in his late fifties due to being a member of a final salary pension scheme. That was enough for him to buy a house, raise two kids, own a nearly new Rover 400 and go abroad on holiday almost every year.

Once those industries were decimated then if you didn't try hard at school or have much in the way of aspiration then you were pretty much fucked and apparently it's all your fault for not having the benefit of hindsight. Throw in some people becoming docile because of the welfare state and others believing their brilliant entrepreneurs solely because their wealth has grown due to house price rises and you can see why we are where we are now.
>> No. 426007 Anonymous
18th April 2019
Thursday 9:50 pm
426007 spacer
>>425997

It's all about wealth generation and the distribution thereof. Back when your dad was in the workforce, work productivity was a tiny fraction of what it is today in terms of output per man hour. With today's technology, a single worker can output ten times as much in a given time period as in the mid-20th century. This stark rise in productivity was anticipated by sociologists and futurists alike in the 50s and 60s.

The fallacy that they then committed, however, was that they assumed that all that increase in productivity and fewer man hours needed to maintain a certain level of output would mean that workers would get to spend more time off with no loss of pay. I've got stacks of old issues of Popular Mechanics in my basement still from my dad from the late 1950s to early 60s, and in them, you can read loopy visions of the future, of people barely working three days a week as early as the 1980s, and spending their income and all their free time on holidays to space stations orbiting Earth.

What went wrong was that all these increases in productivity ended up not being paid out to workers and employees, but they led to competitors undercutting each other on prices per unit on goods markets. And it kind of makes sense from an economist's view point. In industries were you have oligopolic competiton, enterprises will tend to see increases in productivity as a cost advantage against other competitors. So the price for a good goes down nearly the same way as productivity has increased. This in turn means that not only do workers not see wage increases, but as time goes by and technology evolves yet more, workers will be made redundant because machines tend to outperform human workers many times over and at much lower cost. And therefore, increases in productivity have not generated more wealth for the common worker.

Also, you have to consider the role of capital. Capital wants to see interest, and as that interest is generated through investment returns, for example from investments in factories and companies, that money then needs to appreciate as well. So what you have is an enormous feedback loop of compounded interest over decades that has made certain segments of the population obscenely wealthy in the last 150 years and especially in the globalised world of the last 20 to 30 years, but today, there is just so much capital that all of it will not appreciate unless you take chunks out of the paychecks of the people who actually generate that wealth through their own hands' work. From that perspective, every quid that is paid to workers won't go into somebody's return on investment.

And then you notice very quickly where it has been going from there. Nearly all industrialised countries in the last 25 years have seen countless "job market reforms", ostensibly to make the job markets more flexible, but what they really did was take away most of the workers' share of the wealth that they generate. And it isn't just your actual monthly pay, but also things like job security and other marks of a person's standard of living that have eroded.

whiteline
charlie.jpg
425307425307425307
>> No. 425307 Anonymous
19th March 2019
Tuesday 4:02 pm
425307 A picture is worth a thousand words Locked
Anyone seen this before or know where it was taken?
That's evelyn de rotschild poking charlie in the chest btw - seriously, who could get away with this?
23 posts and 2 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 425971 Anonymous
18th April 2019
Thursday 2:46 am
425971 spacer
>>425966

You more likely got banned for using 'tactical' where 'strategic' is the correct term.
>> No. 425974 Anonymous
18th April 2019
Thursday 3:05 am
425974 spacer

hillary begging.jpg
425974425974425974
Seriously though, why was I permanently banned and my post memory-holed for posting this image?

It's no real skin off my nose since I just got a VPN in preparation for the upcoming porn blockage so I'm just curious about what motivated the mod to do it.

(A good day to you Sir!)
>> No. 425975 Anonymous
18th April 2019
Thursday 3:17 am
425975 spacer
>>425974
Because you're being a tedious cunt. WTF cares about some email that Hillary wrote to someone else? This is a British site and this bullshit is absolutely nothing to do with us, and you're a tedious cunt.
>> No. 425989 Anonymous
18th April 2019
Thursday 11:15 am
425989 spacer
>>425974
Obviously because the mods are a cadet branch of the Rochchild dynasty and need to keep you shtum so the servers can stay funded.

Or you're a dickhead.
>> No. 425991 Anonymous
18th April 2019
Thursday 11:24 am
425991 spacer
>>425974

Why would Hillary's email address be HDR22 on her own website? I feel like the real conspiracy here is who are HDR 1-21???

whiteline
image.jpg
425809425809425809
>> No. 425809 Anonymous
11th April 2019
Thursday 7:47 pm
425809 spacer
Confess, lads.

My brain has been addled from watching so much porn that whenever one of you recommends CBT I assume you're advocating a Cock and Ball Torture session.
47 posts and 2 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 425897 Anonymous
14th April 2019
Sunday 10:58 am
425897 spacer
>>425894
I wonder if its a smell thing. I've definitely met people like that.
>> No. 425898 Anonymous
14th April 2019
Sunday 11:46 am
425898 spacer
>>425896
Does she look like your son's girlfriend?
>> No. 425899 Anonymous
14th April 2019
Sunday 1:29 pm
425899 spacer
>>425897

I think you might be right. Now that I think about it, I must have seen her on Instagram etc before meeting her, and don't remember going mental just looking at those. So she must just have the exact sort of pheromones that I like. I suppose that means we'd make exceptionally good children together, though I have absolutely no interest in doing that, either.
>> No. 425900 Anonymous
14th April 2019
Sunday 1:53 pm
425900 spacer
>>425896
Do you want to give her a good old fashioned Arse Pissing?
>> No. 425915 Anonymous
15th April 2019
Monday 12:16 am
425915 spacer
>>425899

There is one of my missus female friends with a similar things, but with an ugly twist: it looks like everybody wants to beat and/or rape her. She always looks like she has just been scared into submission. AFAIK, every one of her boyfriends either beat her like a punching bag or raped her. I cannot deny that I feel some strange urges every time I look at her, and she's not attractive or offensive at all, there is no reason why I should feel like this. No idea, I just keep her as far away as possible and I tell the missus that I do not like her.

whiteline
cv_Custom40___Mockuppinkfade.jpg
425579425579425579
>> No. 425579 Anonymous
31st March 2019
Sunday 10:48 pm
425579 spacer
Which of these looks best, lads?

Number one's fade should actually look as gradual as all the others, I'm just shit at photoshop, so bear that in mind.
34 posts and 9 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 425793 Anonymous
11th April 2019
Thursday 1:13 pm
425793 spacer
>>425768

Just noticed there's no battery in that kit. I knew the price was too good to be true.
>> No. 425794 Anonymous
11th April 2019
Thursday 1:38 pm
425794 spacer
>>425768

You can buy a (very good) electric kick-scooter for about the same price. They're technically illegal to use on the road in the UK, but you aren't going to get any bother unless you ride like a twat.

https://uk.gearbest.com/skateboard/pp_596618.html
>> No. 425795 Anonymous
11th April 2019
Thursday 1:51 pm
425795 spacer
>>425794

I don't want a scooter though.
>> No. 425798 Anonymous
11th April 2019
Thursday 2:54 pm
425798 spacer
>>425795

Honestly, they're brilliant. E-bikes aren't great for long-distance stuff, because the battery conks out after an hour or so and you're left lugging a load of useless weight. They aren't great for short-range stuff, because they're too bulky to take inside. If you get a cheap kit, the waterproofing won't be great and you risk short-circuits if you leave it parked outside; if you get a fancy bike with an integrated Bosch drivetrain, it's too nice to leave locked up outside work.

Electric scooters are absolutely effortless for last-mile transport around town. Undo one clip and it folds up small enough to take on the bus or carry into a pub. You do look like a bit of a bell-end, but they're so much fun that you won't care.

I'd rather have a Brompton most of the time, but electric kick scooters just make a huge amount of sense.
>> No. 425808 Anonymous
11th April 2019
Thursday 7:02 pm
425808 spacer
>>425798

You ever tried to do the groceries on a kick scooter? I didn't ask about ebike kits because I wanted a scooter m8.

Having said that I was in Austin last year and they have those Lime rental scooters all over the shop, they're great, and a much better solution than owning one. Far superior to the Mobikes up here.

whiteline
GN.png
425641425641425641
>> No. 425641 Anonymous
4th April 2019
Thursday 6:29 pm
425641 spacer
Lads, it's that time of year again. Choose your filly.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/8789683/aintree-lasses-fashion-style-grand-national/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6885233/Aintree-Festival-2019-Day-1-Racegoers-glamorous-ensembles-day-1-horse-racing.html
28 posts and 9 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 425677 Anonymous
5th April 2019
Friday 8:32 pm
425677 spacer
>>425672

Hm. Public menstruation.
>> No. 425679 Anonymous
5th April 2019
Friday 9:11 pm
425679 spacer

article-6890911-11916898-816_964x426.jpg
425679425679425679
Who wore it best?
>> No. 425680 Anonymous
5th April 2019
Friday 9:19 pm
425680 spacer
>>425679

You mean which turd has been polished the best?

Those flabby tits on the left look a bit sad.
>> No. 425681 Anonymous
5th April 2019
Friday 9:57 pm
425681 spacer
>>425680
I think it's more a case of sprinkling glitter on a turd than polishing it.
>> No. 425682 Anonymous
5th April 2019
Friday 10:07 pm
425682 spacer
>>425681

It's still going to stink either way.

whiteline
Thinking_Face_Emoji_large.png
425195425195425195
>> No. 425195 Anonymous
17th March 2019
Sunday 12:08 pm
425195 thinking
What is the best thing you have learnt from this, or similar, sites?

I guess one should ask the worst, too.
54 posts and 3 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 425357 Anonymous
20th March 2019
Wednesday 8:30 pm
425357 spacer
>>425356

Just listen to Necro's "Dead Body Disposal" for a basic recap.
>> No. 425359 Anonymous
20th March 2019
Wednesday 8:50 pm
425359 spacer
>>425353

I moved into student housing my second semester, and we had our own subnet server on which we could share folders. I downloaded ludicrous amounts of music, but also stand up comedy and other material off other people's folders. There was an American studentlad living in the same building who had plenty of George Carlin and Chris Rock audio stand up material in his folder, and that was pretty much the first time I heard of either of the two. Movies in decent quality were few and far between around the subnet, and this being the days of 100 Mbit intranet bandwidth shared by up to 255 users, file transfers could be slow at peak times. But with our own T2 line to the outside world and file sharing clients slowly gaining a following, you had all the movies you wanted at your disposal off the Internet. Well, until student housing informed us of new copyright guidelines that both commanded server admins to block most HTTP ports used for filesharing, and meant that we had to sign agreements that we would not use the subnet server or the Internet connection to violate copyright laws regarding films and music. And that was kind of when all the fun stopped. By then I was just a month away from moving out, but it kind of ruined the fun for everybody else. Enforcement of the new rules was hit and miss I was told, but you could risk losing all user privileges.

Self sage for derailing the thread. Do talk more about what you've learnt on here.
>> No. 425360 Anonymous
20th March 2019
Wednesday 9:26 pm
425360 spacer
Walk quietly among other men but know their power for they are your enemies; quietly crush them as you work diligently through the night. Pay attention to the man behind the curtain for he is your ally. Drink deeply and lustfully from the foamy draught of evil. Do it to the other guy before he does it to you. Generally just be bad to the bone.

Thanks ladm8s
>> No. 425549 Anonymous
31st March 2019
Sunday 10:04 am
425549 spacer
>A few people have commented, unprompted, about how they enjoy a particular sort of post I sometimes make, and it's such an amazing feeling to have someone complement you completely blindly like that.
Yeah. It's embarrassing how much that perks me up.
>> No. 425552 Anonymous
31st March 2019
Sunday 10:44 am
425552 spacer
>>425549

I've said it before but Datalounge has a "WW" (wit and wisdom) button you can click to like someone's post, and it sends them a push notification, but doesn't publicly say how many likes a post got. It's a lovely feature.

whiteline
bulk-cash-smuggling-photo.jpg
425508425508425508
>> No. 425508 Anonymous
30th March 2019
Saturday 10:00 am
425508 spacer
This might well be a daft question but, if I flew to Japan, bought a bike there, stuck it in a bike bag as my luggage and flew it back here, am I supposed to declare that? It'd be taxed if I had it delivered, so I assume so. But would they notice? Would anyone figure out I'd just bought the bike over there and hadn't just been returning with my own bike? It'd be hard to prove either way which country I bought it in as it'd be second hand anyway.
8 posts and 1 image omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 425523 Anonymous
30th March 2019
Saturday 2:21 pm
425523 spacer
>>425518

You'll be charged VAT and duty if customs reasonably believe that you're importing goods rather than re-importing your own belongings. A Japanese bicycle frame in your suitcase will probably attract import charges if it's spotted by customs; a fully built bicycle in a bike bag probably won't.

I used to bring in camera equipment in my hand luggage and posted the boxes and paperwork back to myself. A brand new camera bag full of brand new equipment would almost certainly arouse suspicion, but a slightly tatty bag with a mix of new and used kit didn't.
>> No. 425525 Anonymous
30th March 2019
Saturday 3:03 pm
425525 spacer
>>425515

HMCE keep up on this kind of thing. They follow up on certain trends and listen to what travellers that they search at airports tell them. Apparently, Singapore among other Southeast Asian hubs has had a reputation now for a couple of years for top quality custom suits and other business attire at extremely reasonable prices, so then when they see a businessman or -woman travelling alone arriving from Singapore at Heathrow, and if then through questioning them they find out that they didn't just seamlessly change planes in Singapore coming from Australia but stayed there one or two days, they will investigate further if you've brought home certain items that are subject to import duty in the UK. Apparently, expensive looking suits without brand name tags are one of those red flags if they go through your luggage. And the problem doesn't go away if you stick on fake Armani tags, because they can then charge you with importing counterfeit goods. They really have special staff at big international airports now who can spot these things.
>> No. 425526 Anonymous
30th March 2019
Saturday 3:16 pm
425526 spacer
>>425525

What happened to the old wheeze of saying they're yours and they came with you on the way out?
>> No. 425527 Anonymous
30th March 2019
Saturday 3:17 pm
425527 spacer
>>425525
How would they even detect that you're importing suits though? Do they scan your suitcase and compare the contents to an archived image of the contents it had on your outbound flight or summat?
>> No. 425529 Anonymous
30th March 2019
Saturday 3:51 pm
425529 spacer
>>425527 

I would guess they simply know what kind of person to watch out for. Not everyone of them will probably actually be importing goods, but they will probably do spot checks on travellers that they consider most likely. 

The same way that for reasons I can't fathom, I get checked on every other flight for drugs residue on my hands with a swab test. I've talked about this with a few people, and none of them can remember getting checked as frequently for drugs as me. 

So far they've only done hand swabs with me during boarding though. Even that one time I came home from a holiday in South America, nobody went through my stuff as such looking for drugs.

whiteline
1024px-Fence_Formwork_2[1].jpg
425438425438425438
>> No. 425438 Anonymous
27th March 2019
Wednesday 3:33 pm
425438 spacer
A neighbour installed a fence between our houses. A survey shows that it's on our land. They refuse to remove it. Are we legally allowed to remove it?
19 posts omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 425481 Anonymous
28th March 2019
Thursday 9:23 pm
425481 spacer
>>425463
>>425464
I agree with these, lads. Dickheads are always solved by the application of immediate and maximum force. No point in being a lawyer about it because that's what they feed off.

Not that I'd tell you to commit arson or anything.
>> No. 425489 Anonymous
29th March 2019
Friday 3:01 pm
425489 spacer
>>425455
They're first generation devout Christians, so I doubt they'd do anything like that.
>> No. 425520 Anonymous
30th March 2019
Saturday 2:01 pm
425520 spacer
I can see both sides of this debate, and, well...

Nope, I don't have anything to contribute. I just wanted to let you know that I can see both sides of this debate.
>> No. 425521 Anonymous
30th March 2019
Saturday 2:13 pm
425521 spacer
>>425520

Would you say you're on the fence?
>> No. 425524 Anonymous
30th March 2019
Saturday 2:22 pm
425524 spacer
>>425520
>I can see both sides of this debate
So clearly the fence isn't that much of an obstruction.

whiteline
flockdraw goblin.png
425340425340425340
>> No. 425340 Anonymous
20th March 2019
Wednesday 8:05 am
425340 spacer
Locked
Hypothetically speaking, would it be legal to download the video of the Christchurch shooting?

(A good day to you Sir!)
Expand all images.
>> No. 425341 Anonymous
20th March 2019
Wednesday 9:28 am
425341 spacer
I could give you the answer but the lack of honesty of your post sickens me.

I don't know why people think saying stupid phrases before what they intend somehow removes culpability.
>> No. 425342 Anonymous
20th March 2019
Wednesday 10:35 am
425342 spacer
Not sure why you would want to, but why would it be illegal? There are death and shock videos all over the web. We are not in the dark ages of the video nasty era anymore.

whiteline
1024.jpg
424829424829424829
>> No. 424829 Anonymous
7th March 2019
Thursday 10:33 pm
424829 Such a great image
Almost poetic.
178 posts and 12 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 425230 Anonymous
17th March 2019
Sunday 9:05 pm
425230 spacer
>>425196

Is that you, author of How to Lose Friends and Not Influence People?
>> No. 425297 Anonymous
19th March 2019
Tuesday 8:24 am
425297 spacer
>>425196
I repeat call centre jockies' names back to them when I greet them - semi-sincerely because I know they are only instructed to tell us their name, but I bet hardly anyone else remembers what it is when they are told it so what's the point otherwise.
>> No. 425300 Anonymous
19th March 2019
Tuesday 11:28 am
425300 spacer
>>425297
If you have a problem, it's good to know the name of the person you spoke to, so I make a note, and acknowledge their name. At the end of the call, I thank them by name for their time. If it's a complaint, I remind them that it's not personal. It also helps me remember that behind the script there's an actual person, and the poor sod has probably had to put up with all kinds of bullshit from other callers. I'm not naive or self-centred enough to think it'll be the highlight of their day, but I would like to think I haven't made their day any worse.
>> No. 425302 Anonymous
19th March 2019
Tuesday 12:39 pm
425302 spacer
>>425297
When I have to ring another company at work I always take a note of the name of the other person at the other end of the line; often you can tell they're pleased you remembered their name if use it later on in the conversation. I mainly do it because I'm primarily ringing life companies like Prudential so I'm talking to young Scottish lasses and their accent seriously gives me the horn.
>> No. 425303 Anonymous
19th March 2019
Tuesday 12:54 pm
425303 spacer
>>425300
>>425302
This is probably the right way about it, but there are some absolute Carnegie Cunts as t'otherlad puts it, the sort of person who'll try to crowbar your name into every other sentence. That sort of shit makes me rapidly dislike someone, it's obvious they're just trying to be manipulative.

What Carnegie said about using people's names in terms of naming projects or whatever after them to make them more motivated to do the work relating to them well sounds like decent advice however.

whiteline
Delete Post []
Password  
Previous[0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14]