[ rss / options / help ]
post ]
[ b / iq / g / zoo ] [ e / news / lab ] [ v / nom / pol / eco / emo / 101 / shed ]
[ art / A / beat / boo / com / fat / job / lit / map / mph / poof / £$€¥ / spo / uhu / uni / x / y ] [ * | sfw | o ]
logo
politics

Return ]

Posting mode: Reply
Reply ]
Subject   (reply to 83382)
Message
File  []
close
eddie-mul-jrm_3572149b.jpg
833828338283382
>> No. 83382 Anonymous
27th August 2017
Sunday 9:19 am
83382 spacer
Beleagured Theresa May 'to quit as Prime Minister on August 30, 2019 in a bid to stop a leadership challenge' - as she tries to calm rivals with a prosecco party at Chequers

Theresa May is said to have revealed the date she will quit as Prime Minister - giving herself two years to see Brexit through first.

She has chosen Friday August 30th 2019 as the day she will step down from 10 Downing Street, it has been reported.

It comes amid a major charm offensive by Mrs May in a bid to win the support of her MPs and avoid an awkward leadership challenge.


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4826482/Theresa-sets-date-quit-Prime-Minister.html

This man is going to become Prime Minister on 1st September 2019 and it's going to be fucking awesome.
Expand all images.
>> No. 83383 Anonymous
27th August 2017
Sunday 11:39 am
83383 spacer

55acbb5bac9f7.png
833838338383383
>>83382
ITYM "Erit dictator, et erit omnium optimum maxime."
>> No. 83384 Anonymous
27th August 2017
Sunday 2:22 pm
83384 spacer
Mildly worried by this development.
I expect a recession before the next election, but 2019 is cutting it fine. Corbyn's fucked if he takes office just before another crisis.

Doubly worrying because It's not certain that the current arrangement will break down and force a new election before then. Theresa May is the greatest asset to the Labour party since Transport House was sold off.
>> No. 83385 Anonymous
27th August 2017
Sunday 5:40 pm
83385 spacer
>>83384
>Corbyn's fucked if he takes office just before another crisis.

Corbyn's fucked regardless, it's just a question of whether he takes the country down with him.
>> No. 83386 Anonymous
27th August 2017
Sunday 5:59 pm
83386 spacer
>>83384
Theresa May will not stand in another general election, even if that is before 2019.
>> No. 83387 Anonymous
27th August 2017
Sunday 8:01 pm
83387 spacer

Democracy live.jpg
833878338783387
So she will definitely not be quitting as Prime Minister on August 30, 2019?

>This man is going to become Prime Minister on 1st September 2019 and it's going to be fucking awesome.

This is starting to irritate me now. Jacob Rees-Mogg has stated many times that he has no interest in becoming Prime Minister for the foreseeable future and why would he when he is perfectly suited to the life of a backbencher.

You are more likely to see BoJo take power even though he is increasingly looking like the Jeb Bush of British politics.

>>83384
>I expect a recession before the next election

What make you think that? By the looks of things the arseache of Brexit will keep things in limbo for a good few years after 2019.
>> No. 83388 Anonymous
27th August 2017
Sunday 8:08 pm
83388 spacer
>>83387
>What make you think that? By the looks of things the arseache of Brexit will keep things in limbo for a good few years after 2019.

Doom mongers have been claiming there's going to be a crash any day now ever since the last one.
>> No. 83389 Anonymous
27th August 2017
Sunday 9:11 pm
83389 spacer
>>83387
>Jacob Rees-Mogg has stated many times that he has no interest in becoming Prime Minister for the foreseeable future


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzTCaEclz1w
>> No. 83390 Anonymous
27th August 2017
Sunday 9:32 pm
83390 spacer
>>83385
More whether he's seen to do so.

>>83386
She wouldn't have much choice if she was forced into one. For argument's sake assume she loses a confidence vote - what's she going to do, resign and start a leadership contest in the midst of an election campaign?

>>83387
>What make you think that?
The US has a recession about every 10 years (even if to keep this statistical regularity, you need to factor in the post-9/11 baby one.), The UK has been about one a decade as well since the 50s except between 1990-1 and 2008 where it was 17/18. Assuming (For argument) that the current government makes it to 2021 and a Corbyn government is in power until 2026, you've run up to 18 years.
Economically rigorous? No, but a relatively low-effort, low risk thing to take a gamble on. There are perhaps other discouraging signs (though more in other commonwealth countries), plus of course Brexit which could be a shitshow, but to analyse those would risk moving from pattern-matching to economics, so to hell with that.

Although it's probably worth wondering aloud whether poor economic circumstances would scare people back to the Conservatives and 1992 Labour rather than removing the Conservative reputation for economic competence. (Though in any case a repeat of 1992 is better for Labour than one of 2008.)
>> No. 83391 Anonymous
27th August 2017
Sunday 9:39 pm
83391 spacer
>>83387
Moggy isn't the PM we want, but he's the PM we deserve. When Great Britain calls he will emerge from the shadows wielding his pipe of justice and iron slippers of stoicism and take his rightful place at No. 10.
>> No. 83392 Anonymous
27th August 2017
Sunday 10:14 pm
83392 spacer
>>83390

I'm inclined to think that we aren't due a recession any time soon, simply because we haven't recovered from the last one. A lot of the apparent recovery has been illusory due to population growth; GDP might have recovered, but GDP per capita is still well below the 2007 high water mark. A boom-and-bust cycle requires a boom.

Looking at GDP per capita, we already had our second recession in 2014, despite the Bank of England insisting that there was no double-dip. GDP per capita dropped by nearly $12,000 between 2007 and 2009, but again dropped by $6,500 between 2014 and 2016.

I'm loath to suggest that our current situation is unprecedented, but I do think we're in an unusually long period of economic stagnation. It feels more like Japan's lost decade than the kind of recessions we're used to.
>> No. 83393 Anonymous
27th August 2017
Sunday 11:21 pm
83393 spacer
Wasn't she going to step down before? Why should we believe this?
>> No. 83394 Anonymous
27th August 2017
Sunday 11:29 pm
83394 spacer
>>83393
The next election is due for 2020, and she says we're definitely not going to have another one before then. Oh, wait ...
>> No. 83411 Anonymous
31st August 2017
Thursday 1:04 am
83411 spacer
>Theresa May has said she wants to lead the Conservatives into the next general election, telling the BBC she intends to remain in power "for the long term".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41093516

Let's just admit that nobody has any idea what is happening anymore.
>> No. 83412 Anonymous
31st August 2017
Thursday 6:23 am
83412 spacer
>>83411
I don't believe a word that comes out of her mouth. She's managed to be even more slippery than Cameron, which is quite the achievement.
>> No. 83413 Anonymous
31st August 2017
Thursday 7:15 pm
83413 spacer
>>83412
So you instead trust the Daily Mail?
>> No. 83414 Anonymous
31st August 2017
Thursday 7:22 pm
83414 spacer
>>83413
Yeah mate, because the only people to contradict Theresa May are the Daily Mail???
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41106679
>> No. 83415 Anonymous
31st August 2017
Thursday 7:30 pm
83415 spacer
>>83414
If you had a real source, why didn't you post that instead of the Mail in the first place?
>> No. 83416 Anonymous
31st August 2017
Thursday 7:45 pm
83416 spacer
>>83413>>83415
Because twats like you are "triggered" by the Mail and have had steam coming out of your ears every time it's been linked to for years now.
>> No. 83417 Anonymous
31st August 2017
Thursday 7:50 pm
83417 spacer
>>83416

Because it's a dog shit newspaper, famous for gaffs, lies and controversy baiting bollocks.
>> No. 83418 Anonymous
31st August 2017
Thursday 7:52 pm
83418 spacer
>>83417
You say that like it's a bad thing.
>> No. 83419 Anonymous
31st August 2017
Thursday 8:21 pm
83419 spacer
>>83418

You dropped your mask, Agent of Chaos.
>> No. 83420 Anonymous
1st September 2017
Friday 3:05 pm
83420 spacer
>>83417

I feel like that description can be easily pointed at the guardian. Oh the guardian does do some valuable work, but they don't half print a load of bollocks in the space inbetween.
>> No. 83421 Anonymous
1st September 2017
Friday 7:40 pm
83421 spacer

Jacob-Rees-Mogg-_3093191k[1].jpg
834218342183421
Pretty sure Mogg is grooming his own brood to be Prime Ministers.

Forget spiderman and spaghetti hoops. It's going to be a life of ill-fitting suits, Thatcher colouring books and the Conservative manifesto for a nice bedtime story.

Poor fuckers never had a chance. Pushy parents should be illegal.
>> No. 83423 Anonymous
1st September 2017
Friday 8:04 pm
83423 spacer
>>83420
Perhaps we shouldn't trust newspapers when they quote 'sources' with explosive revelations?
>> No. 83426 Anonymous
2nd September 2017
Saturday 10:23 pm
83426 spacer
>Theresa May faced a growing Tory revolt over her leadership as it emerged that Remain-supporting Conservative MPs are being told by party whips that they will be seen as “supporting Jeremy Corbyn” if they attempt to soften the Brexit bill.

>Furious Conservatives, including former ministers, said such threats and arm-twisting from the whips’ office would “backfire” spectacularly, making it more likely the prime minister would face a leadership challenge this autumn.

>Tory tensions over Brexit, coupled with dismay over May’s insistence last week that she wants to lead the party into a 2022 general election, reached new heights as MPs prepared to debate the European Union (withdrawal) bill when parliament returns after the summer break on Tuesday.

>One former cabinet minister told the Observer that May’s determination to cling on to office, and her hardline position on Brexit, would “definitely” trigger letters to Graham Brady, chairman of the backbench 1922 committee, over coming weeks. If 15% of Tory MPs write to Brady expressing no confidence in her, a leadership contest has to be called.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/sep/02/tory-mps-threaten-theresa-may-over-brexit-votes

Do you think she's deliberately making her position untenable?
>> No. 83427 Anonymous
3rd September 2017
Sunday 7:52 am
83427 spacer
>>83426
>Do you think she's deliberately making her position untenable?
Or she's just a bit senile and can't remember what happened as far back as June.
>> No. 83454 Anonymous
6th September 2017
Wednesday 9:24 pm
83454 spacer
I don't get why people are getting so pissy about Moggy's comments today on abortion and same-sex marriage. As a Catholic he is morally opposed to them but, most importantly, he respects the rule of the law and wouldn't change it.
>> No. 83455 Anonymous
6th September 2017
Wednesday 9:32 pm
83455 spacer
>>83454
Why should we agree with someone just because their views are "heartfelt" or "genuine" ?
>> No. 83456 Anonymous
6th September 2017
Wednesday 9:45 pm
83456 spacer
>>83455
Who said we have to agree with him? He respects the rule of law, even if it's against his beliefs.
>> No. 83457 Anonymous
6th September 2017
Wednesday 11:16 pm
83457 spacer
>>83456
Where have we heard that one before?
>> No. 83458 Anonymous
6th September 2017
Wednesday 11:34 pm
83458 spacer

tim-farron-frown.jpg
834588345883458
>>83457
>> No. 83459 Anonymous
6th September 2017
Wednesday 11:43 pm
83459 spacer
Why does it appear impossible to phrase religious convictions without it turning into a massive cunt-off?

At any rate the actual interview put this in better context AND he appears to state that he won't be running, never say never aside:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8WWu2bEiUM

>>83457
Bakunin? Chomsky?
>> No. 83460 Anonymous
6th September 2017
Wednesday 11:47 pm
83460 spacer

HiRes-630x390.jpg
834608346083460
>>83459
>Why does it appear impossible to phrase religious convictions without it turning into a massive cunt-off?

Good question. Probably because the majority of us don't believe in the sky fairies, and therefore don't really want political leaders who do, either.
>> No. 83461 Anonymous
7th September 2017
Thursday 12:11 am
83461 spacer
>>83456
The respecting the rule of law thing seems entirely irrelevant.
Neil "Law makers must not be law breakers" Kinnock respected the rule of law when the poll tax was in place (the snivelling hero.) but that didn't change the fact that his intention was to change the law. Respect for the rule of law is not respect for the specific law itself, or willing acceptance of it. Just for the approved structure of resolving disagreements with that specific legislation.

Furthermore "I believe abortion is morally abhorrent, but I'm content to let it continue because that's the law and nobody will vote for me if I promise to change it" is a display of unsullied conviction rivalled only by Neil Kinnock's latter day conversion to belief in nuclear deterrence.
>> No. 83462 Anonymous
7th September 2017
Thursday 3:02 am
83462 spacer
>>83459

I thought he couldn't be more repellent, then he outed himself as a Catholic.
>> No. 83463 Anonymous
7th September 2017
Thursday 6:55 am
83463 spacer
>>83460
Tony Blair was a Catholic and he was alright, on the whole.
>> No. 83464 Anonymous
7th September 2017
Thursday 8:54 am
83464 spacer
>>83459
He's totally running. Vox populi, vox dei and all that.
>> No. 83465 Anonymous
7th September 2017
Thursday 9:03 am
83465 spacer
>>83463
No, it was Kinnock who was alright. Blair was a pretty straight sort of guy.
>> No. 83466 Anonymous
7th September 2017
Thursday 5:56 pm
83466 spacer
>>83460
I'd wait until the next census before you make a wild statement like that given even the most alarmist stories I can find put it at 53% in E+W (obviously the western isles etc. are still putting people in the wicker man).

My non-scientific opinion is that although most people wouldn't fit the definition of devout Christian they are more receptive to fluffy statements like 'everything happens for a reason' and 'something is watching over us'. The problem is as the majority are completely uneducated in theology they're shocked when they encounter doctrines that find sex a sin.

>therefore don't really want political leaders who do

I doubt most people care. On the flip-side only a tiny minority gave a damn about Corbyn's floppy answer to religion despite it's potential to shape the last election given May's religious nationalism.

>>83461
You seem to struggle with the concept of compromise in politics. The PM is not a dictator nor does it seem like Mogg wants to create a theocracy -indeed, despite his religious views he has always come across as someone wedded to British natural law traditions.

I think there is something to be said of the nature of British culture where we can have evangelicals who don't presume to enforce their beliefs onto others.
>> No. 83467 Anonymous
7th September 2017
Thursday 7:26 pm
83467 spacer
>>83466
>You seem to struggle with the concept of compromise in politics.
No, I struggle with poor messaging. Better a liar than muddled.
>The PM is not a dictator nor does it seem like Mogg wants to create a theocracy
I don't see the relevance. It's not a theocracy to buzz it through with private members bills like an evil Roy Jenkins.

I'm not going to press too far on this. I just like making fun of Neil Kinnock.
>> No. 83468 Anonymous
8th September 2017
Friday 3:08 pm
83468 spacer
>>83466
>The PM is not a dictator
Not yet, but she's getting there.
>> No. 83480 Anonymous
13th September 2017
Wednesday 2:59 am
83480 spacer
So have we all said our fond farewells to democracy now ARE TERRI is building her dictatorship?
>> No. 83540 Anonymous
3rd October 2017
Tuesday 7:31 pm
83540 spacer
>Jacob Rees-Mogg has compared this year’s Conservative conference to a North Korea-style rally, saying the party will face a crisis unless members are given more stake in it.

>The backbencher, who has been packing out fringe meetings, said ordinary party members had no power to debate policy compared to when he entered politics.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/03/rees-mogg-tory-conference-like-north-korea-rally

It says "power", but I think they meant "ability". Anyway, when's the Tory leadership deathmatch on?

Return ]
whiteline

Delete Post []
Password