|>>|| No. 3031
Just finished trimming one of our yewtrees in the back garden and cut the thicker branches into logs to use as firewood. It yielded well enough wood for one fireplace night. It's now in the basement boiler room, which has excellent conditions for wood to dry.
Yew is quite decent firewood, although it's not used much. It gives off a nice earthy smell as it burns. It was held in very high regard in past centuries due to its hardness and flexibility and was used for longbows in particular as well as furniture and veneer. Which drove yewtrees to near-extinction in Britain, because at some point in the Middle Ages, per royal decree every man over the age of 14 was required to have his own yew longbow. Logging was intense, while the tree itself is very slow growing, much unlike other conifers like spruce or pine. Also, yew is highly poisonous, a few twigs of it contain enough toxin to kill an adult horse, which meant it was a hazard to feeding cattle or horses, so it wasn't normally grown as ornamental trees outside forests.
Burning yew is no problem though despite its toxicity, because the heat from the fire completely breaks down the toxin before it can escape into the ambient air.
Self sage for pointless rambling.