[ rss / options / help ]
post ]
[ b / iq / g / zoo ] [ e / news / lab ] [ v / nom / pol / eco / emo / 101 / shed ]
[ art / A / beat / boo / com / fat / job / lit / map / mph / poof / £$€¥ / spo / uhu / uni / x / y ] [ * | sfw | o ]
logo
film/video
Subject   (new thread)
Message
File  [] []
close
whiteline
Untitled.png
218742187421874
>> No. 21874 Anonymous
30th October 2017
Monday 5:18 pm
21874 Youtube Recommendations
The other thread got me wondering about what youtube channels you lads can recommend. Topic can be anything, just what you find to be good and interesting to watch.

Learning:
>Issac Arthur
I posted one of his videos awhile ago but it's well worth repeating. Every Thursday he does a really interesting and in-depth look at science and futurism concepts and does a really good job of explaining them simply but also covering the unnoticed drawbacks and benefits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7fLNvpl0c8

>ElectroBOOM
He has kind of gone to shit over the past few months but this is still a good channel for basic electrical engineering fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7foDiXX-CcE

>Tom Scott
Mostly for his 'Things You Might Not Know' series. He goes over some pretty interesting things that you might never notice but are all around us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm5khEUIBx0

Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
11 posts and 1 image omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 21887 Anonymous
6th November 2017
Monday 7:58 pm
21887 spacer
>>21886
I love him.
>> No. 21888 Anonymous
7th November 2017
Tuesday 2:49 pm
21888 spacer
>>21884
The gold plating is stupid, but the cable is less than a tenner on Amazon. Anyone got $7,200 for an audio interconnect cable? They're dead good. You'll hear a soundstage and warmth unlike any other cable you've ever used, I promise. Comes with a free bridge.
http://www.pearcable.com/sub_products_anjou_sc.htm
>> No. 21911 Anonymous
9th November 2017
Thursday 1:31 am
21911 spacer
Just came across these channels

> LockPickingLawyer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ

> BosnianBill
https://www.youtube.com/user/bosnianbill

For a nice lock-autist diversion.
>> No. 21920 Anonymous
17th November 2017
Friday 4:48 am
21920 spacer
>>21874
>Tom Scott
I always presumed I liked him I really liked I remember being amused by his welcome to life video years ago, but I keep on finding videos of him explaining that there are exceptions to a rule that he presents really badly.

They all go the exact same way

"This is a thing that is understood by this quite simple concept but there is an exception to the rule, but then there is another exception to the rule, but then there is THIS exception to the rule, but then all that is fine, but there is an exception to the rule, and once you've understood all that there is an exception to the rule, so in conclusion it is this but then there is an exception to the rule."
None of the exceptions seemed that hard to wrap my head around, in fact he has done it for fields I've worked in, but his presentation is as if he were revealing some daunting truth that you should never even bother trying to understand in the first place like niche knowledge were some sort of elder god that must not be disturbed from it's slumber at any cost. This is a prime example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY

I think my problem is I don't like it when authors repeatedly produce video essays that follows the same structure, it feels like he went out of his way to try make the thing sound more complicated and dramatic just because that is the way he puts on a performance. I think his style actually discourages learning, as he makes things sound like these things are too intimidating to even try.
>> No. 21921 Anonymous
17th November 2017
Friday 8:53 am
21921 spacer
>>21920

As a software developer, I can tell you that he understated the difficulty and complexity of handling time zones. They're one of the trickiest problems in distributed database systems and have caused horrendously expensive bugs. The weirdness of how humans keep track of time has some really nasty interactions with the PACELC theorem. Like crypto, it's something that 99.9% of developers should never handle themselves, because it's just too easy to fuck up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PACELC_theorem

Most of Tom Scott's videos on his own channel don't fit the template that you described. He mostly talks about cool research infrastructure (Built for Science) or quirky little bits of trivia (Things You Might Not Know).

I think his overall message is really positive. Science and technology is often presented in a really dry, didactic way, but he shows that it's full of unexpected surprises. He shows that science isn't a body of knowledge guarded by an elite, but a dynamic system of exploration and discovery.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diPiSHxfGyE


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvJzi0BXcGI

whiteline
>> No. 21860 Anonymous
29th October 2017
Sunday 3:12 am
21860 YouTube's Lowest Quality Dreck, post what YOU find.
So because I'm a miserable, contrarian, bastard the whole Five Night's at Freddie's craze rather passed me by. But I was watching some blokes short and surly review of it and I decided to look at some of the YouTube content as it was something the reviewer mentioned. Now obnoxious "let's players" screeching into their webcams hasn't passed me by but this shite right here is a brand new world of wank for me: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr8O6yAciPCGKWBEIASK2lg/videos


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nDJSnJY-x4

It's just so mindless and cynical, every episode begins with a thirty second appeal for the presumably pre-teen viewers to like, subscribe, check the notification bell and visit their store, even before the show has started. They have almost half a dozen channels of this dogshit, and while it's not popular enough for me to tar every kid under the age of sixteen as a mush-brain it's not exactly Noggin The Nog, who apart from having a nearly racist name is basically a master work compared to FNaF MineCraft RP. In the the first minute of Noggin the Nog you learn that a windmill makes flour; in the first minute of FNaF MC RP we find out they've got a discount code, for their own store, I suppose? Which makes it not even really a discount code. I wasn't even raised on Noggin, but I think Kerching definitely gave me a healthier view of capitalism than "buy shit, idiot".

I've thrown a lot of shit at the wall in this OP, but with seventy gigawatts of video uploaded to the internet every millisecond I'd be interested to see what crap you lads have seen.
33 posts and 1 image omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 21910 Anonymous
9th November 2017
Thursday 12:25 am
21910 spacer
>>21909

It's just a Youtube client that recommends "kids" content and filters out "adult" content. Obviously that'll bring that kind of generated content to the fore (for reasons outlined above), but at least now I can block it a whole damn channel at a time. If it doesn't work out then I'll probably have to go full nuclear and just restrict youtube altogether (or just rip his favourite stuff off there with youtube-dl and show him how to work vlc).
>> No. 21912 Anonymous
9th November 2017
Thursday 10:29 am
21912 spacer
>>21910
An app or browser extension which shows you only whitelisted youtube channels or videos seems like it would be hugely popular, not just for parents but for people who are frustrated with youtube's ecosystem in general.

How hard would it be to make something like this for someone with no prior background in programming? Also would Google allow such a thing in their Play store or would we have to be content with browser add-ons?
>> No. 21913 Anonymous
9th November 2017
Thursday 6:12 pm
21913 spacer
>>21912

My guess would be that Google would most definitely not allow it, for the same reasons they don't allow add blockers. Also good luck interacting with the official youtube app.

I think your best bet would be to write your own youtube frontend as an Android app. I would start (other than by learning how to write a basic Android video app in Java) by taking a shuftie at https://github.com/TeamNewPipe/NewPipe and going from there. It's probable that adding a channel and video whitelist to NewPipe would be less complex than writing your own client from scratch.
>> No. 21914 Anonymous
10th November 2017
Friday 12:38 am
21914 spacer
Lads,

Having read this thread and given it a few moments more thought than I would usually give, most of the debate around here (including that Medium article) appears to view the internet and dangers therein as one where Kid's lack of ability to choose and/or filter content. Can I suggest that it may be more productive to think of it in physical terms as more like a library, or a little more absurdly, like popping out onto the street. You wouldn't leave little timmy to wander around the bookshop, or to amuse himself out on the road, not because you think he'd make poor choices but because of the obvious dangers present, and because he probably wouldn't have much fun. You'd take him to the right section and let him have a look, or to the park. I think to treat the internet like it's something new or even more threatening thing to kids because of some implied lack of control or filtering is purely down to poor parenting.

Similarly, it's not the internet which is ruining our brains but the way we choose to not engage with the the production of content and instead passively consume. Most of us are really just poking that 'Next Video' button when we click on links to medium articles, read to news or hop on redtube, and leaving a vaguely structured form of fjierjfierfjirjf in the comments.

Sage for ramble.
>> No. 21916 Anonymous
10th November 2017
Friday 1:58 am
21916 spacer
>>21914
> Similarly, it's not the internet which is ruining our brains but the way we choose to not engage with the the production of content and instead passively consume. Most of us are really just poking that 'Next Video' button when we click on links to medium articles, read to news or hop on redtube, and leaving a vaguely structured form of fjierjfierfjirjf in the comments.

Mumble, mumble, something, something, my addiction to internet Skinner boxes.

whiteline
Startrek.png
204732047320473
>> No. 20473 Anonymous
8th March 2016
Tuesday 8:00 pm
20473 Star Trek
If anyone's interested, Voyager and TNG are continually playing at http://vaughnlive.tv/downlorrd .

Also general Star Trek thread, what do you think of the new movies? What setting would you want a new series to be in?
65 posts and 6 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 21828 Anonymous
5th October 2017
Thursday 2:17 am
21828 spacer
>>21820
I can't bring myself to watch it, I had very little interest before it aired and even less now. I'm re-watching DS9 then I'll try Voyager again.

Why the FUCK can't we get a proper continuation instead of another prequel? ENT was alright, shame it was never given a chance, but that was enough to bridge the gap between TOS and TNG. After TNG found it's footing was there a single person pining for a return to TOS? The lack of imagination is astounding, there is so much potential for a post DS9/VOY series but we're stuck referencing a show which ended in the fucking 60's. The least they could do is admit this is an Abramsverse show so I could think about watching it without getting unfathomably angry.
>> No. 21829 Anonymous
5th October 2017
Thursday 2:11 pm
21829 spacer
>>21820

I realised that it was mostly the visuals that were updated, and I definitely felt it was just as Star Trekky under the surface. The main difference is that it's mostly focussed on a single character's journey, rather than the ship as a whole, and that there is a strong focus on the series arc rather than (apparently) self-contained adventures. That's fine in my book.

We're seeing a dark side of the Federation because the Federation was always supposed to be an idealised, elevated version of liberal America. That was at a time when people still viewed America as the Land of the Free. Now, that vision is frayed and failing. Consequently we're seeing a hard look taken at Starfleet's authoritarianism, and its relationship to the civilian population. I like that.
>> No. 21830 Anonymous
5th October 2017
Thursday 10:09 pm
21830 spacer
>>21828
I agree entirely with the need to stop making prequels and other nonsense.

However:
>but that was enough to bridge the gap between TOS and TNG

Actually ENT was set a hundred years after First Contact. TOS comes much later with a season being planned in ENT for the Earth-Romulan War referenced in 'Balance of Terror'.

>>21829
>We're seeing a dark side of the Federation

I hate this meme and yes, I used the term 'meme' because STD is just a simulacrum. The charm and uniqueness of Star Trek is it's brightness where everything works out and that vision adds a unique spin that keeps Trek iterations relevant even when they look dated owing to context.

"but what about DS9?" I hear you say.

Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
>> No. 21858 Anonymous
26th October 2017
Thursday 1:31 am
21858 spacer

FB_IMG_1508067535776.jpg
218582185821858

>> No. 21859 Anonymous
26th October 2017
Thursday 9:12 am
21859 spacer
>>21830
>We're seeing a dark side of the Federation

>I hate this meme

This just struck a note with me. It is the post-modernist obsession, 'I'm going to remake this much beloved classic, but I'm going to change it so that good is now evil and the evil is now good, I’m so clever and subversive'.

whiteline
Rick_and_Morty_opening_credits.jpg
166461664616646
>> No. 16646 Anonymous
12th May 2014
Monday 9:01 am
16646 Rick and Morty
I can't be the only one here to have stumbled upon this utter gem.

Without a doubt, this has become my favourite adult cartoon and I can't wait for the next season.

Dark, clever, brilliantly amusing. Really fucking dark in places.

There are episodes on YT but some of these have had the voices altered to avoid automatic take downs I guess?

Here's a link to the first where a TV box has been used instead; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68IH4u-t7Zc

And one of my favourite clips:

http://www.youtube.com/v/ekP0LQEsUh0

3+3 = 6
91 posts and 8 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 21853 Anonymous
18th October 2017
Wednesday 10:39 pm
21853 spacer
>>21847

It is difficult to write intelligent characters , but no more difficult than not writing something derivative. Laziness bleeds into creativity because doing better is hard work and requires you to fight for integrity so creatives pick the path of least resistance and good enough, becomes good enough. That doesn't mean they can't do better just that people aren't willing to try.
>> No. 21854 Anonymous
18th October 2017
Wednesday 11:43 pm
21854 spacer
>>21853
>It is difficult to write intelligent characters
Is it, though? An intelligent character can make a split-second decision that a less intelligent person would take weeks of thought or research to realise was the better thing to do. Luckily for writers, they can take weeks to think about it because that's how fiction works.
>> No. 21855 Anonymous
19th October 2017
Thursday 12:52 am
21855 spacer
>>21853

It's incredibly easy to write intelligent characters. You only need to write about them succeeding at mentally taxing tasks, and/or impressing or bamboozling other characters with their mental prowess. You're talking about an author proving their intelligence by writing things that will impress an intelligent audience. That's totally different and also likely impossible, because you can only write in such a way as to flatter the reader's intelligence whether they are intelligent or not. The intelligent ones know this, and therefore never know if they're really intelligent or just being flattered.
>> No. 21856 Anonymous
19th October 2017
Thursday 8:09 am
21856 spacer
>>21854

Intelligent people often think more slowly, but come to better conclusions. They think in entirely different ways to averagely intelligent people and have access to a different set of tools. Stamina is a vital part of intelligence - really smart people have an almost endless capacity for deep thought. It's very difficult to represent deep and nuanced thinking on screen and damned near impossible if you're not a deep and nuanced thinker yourself.

Elon Musk springs to mind. The engineers who have worked with him at Tesla and SpaceX have commented that there's only one truly exceptional thing about Musk - he asks incredibly good questions. He's quick on the uptake and has a very good capacity for technical knowledge, but his defining trait is his ability to ask a single question about a topic that forces an expert to re-evaluate the received wisdom. He patiently listens to someone explain the state of the art, then unerringly hones in on the part of their explanation that doesn't quite add up. What matters isn't that Musk is smart, but that he makes everyone around him smarter.

I've been lucky enough to work with some incredibly smart people - ACM Turing winners, MacArthur grant recipients, Fellows of the Royal Society. To a man, they've struck me as quiet, humble and generous. They're often remarkably ordinary in any context other than their field of expertise. They play in terrible rock bands and get winded at five-a-side, they lose pub quizzes and forget where they put their car keys. I don't see geniuses represented in fiction who look anything like the bona-fide geniuses I've met.
>> No. 21857 Anonymous
19th October 2017
Thursday 10:16 am
21857 spacer
>>21856
I think it's something to do with detective novels. It's boring to watch or read about someone doing actual research, but the way a detective novel is structured you can create quite a strong narrative while dropping lots of little clues that the viewer/reader can look out for and try to assemble themselves (which is part of the draw, even if the writers cheat and give the detective information the viewer doesn't have, they can find it educational) all leading up to the reveal.
>Of course! He was shot with the rifle that was hanging on the wall at the start!
House is a detective show, Lie to me is a detective show, Bull is a detective show, but so many other things tweak the pattern a little further. They keep repeating the same formula in slightly different contexts.

whiteline
unnamed-file.jpg
218062180621806
>> No. 21806 Anonymous
11th September 2017
Monday 8:19 pm
21806 Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams is a sci-fi anthology series of ten epic, ambitious and moving standalone episodes, each set in a different and unique world – some which lie in the far reaches of the universe and time and others which are much, much closer to home. While the stories may be worlds apart, central to each is the poignant and warm exploration of the importance and significance of humanity.

Each episode is inspired by one of Philip K. Dick’s renowned shorts stories and has been adapted by an exciting list of leading British and American writers and directors. The series also features an all-star roster of cast who head up this thrilling, audacious and emotional journey into the far reaches of imagination.


http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/philip-k-dicks-electric-dreams

Starts this Sunday at 9pm.
7 posts omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 21822 Anonymous
3rd October 2017
Tuesday 10:09 pm
21822 spacer
>>21821
I've been meaning to but haven't got around to it yet.
>> No. 21823 Anonymous
3rd October 2017
Tuesday 11:17 pm
21823 spacer
>>21821
I thought episode 1 was crap for various reasons, 2 much better. 3's out but not seen it yet.
>> No. 21824 Anonymous
3rd October 2017
Tuesday 11:26 pm
21824 spacer
>>21821
I actually watched the first episode a few hours ago*. With the proviso that I've never been much of a fan of Dick it was pretty weak; the story is some telepathy nonsense, the acting was awful and the speed of the plot made it unbelievable which could've easily been fixed with a flash forward or two.

However, the show itself has some signs of promise just because every episode will be different like how most Black Mirror episodes are pretty tedious and apparently it gets much better by the third episode.

*because it turns out the leaked episodes of CYE have some hacker bullshit over the bottom which makes them unwatchable for me.
>> No. 21825 Anonymous
3rd October 2017
Tuesday 11:31 pm
21825 spacer
>>21824
the PKD story E1 is based on is almost entirely unrelated to the episode itself
>> No. 21831 Anonymous
5th October 2017
Thursday 10:16 pm
21831 spacer
>>21824
Just finished episode 3 and yeah each episode gets progressively better. I mean that by the way, episode two jumped the quality up to Dr Who writing and the last episode was genuinely enjoyable thanks to Timothy Spall. Although it seems like a no brainer that a parent would never sacrifice their child no matter how much damage they do.

I look forwards to seeing how Steve Buscemi gets on.

whiteline
Bear.jpg
217952179521795
>> No. 21795 Anonymous
6th September 2017
Wednesday 8:45 pm
21795 Absolutely beautiful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnf_GFJFAAw
9 posts and 1 image omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 21812 Anonymous
11th September 2017
Monday 10:13 pm
21812 spacer
>>21804
Must have been her first day.
>> No. 21814 Anonymous
12th September 2017
Tuesday 12:10 am
21814 spacer
I want to ask him if I can go and camp out with him. I never tried camping.
>> No. 21815 Anonymous
12th September 2017
Tuesday 9:13 pm
21815 spacer
>>21814
He looks like the sort of person who sleeps in bivvie bags under a bush. It won't be glamping.
>> No. 21816 Anonymous
12th September 2017
Tuesday 9:33 pm
21816 spacer
>>21815
>Glamping
Such a thing exists? I'm too poor for that sort of thing.
>> No. 21817 Anonymous
12th September 2017
Tuesday 10:27 pm
21817 spacer
>>21816
Oh it really does. In a big way - it started out as a festival thing, but has spread and there are now many companies offering similar. Avoid. Lad in the OP has the right idea.

whiteline
Gregor.png
164551645516455
>> No. 16455 Anonymous
14th April 2014
Monday 11:11 am
16455 Game of Thrones
Are you all just going to pretend this isn't happening?

I assume everyone's already illegally downloaded last nights episode? If so you'll definitely understand my next question...

WHO DONE THE DOINGS WHAT DID GET DONE!?

I'm reckoning Cersei at a daring 50/1.
497 posts and 37 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 21788 Anonymous
28th August 2017
Monday 11:11 pm
21788 spacer
inb4 Gendry spends the next 4 series digging himself out from under The Wall.
>> No. 21789 Anonymous
29th August 2017
Tuesday 5:15 am
21789 spacer

lidl finger.jpg
217892178921789
RIP the only good character in the show apart from that cheeky mercenary guy
>> No. 21790 Anonymous
29th August 2017
Tuesday 5:50 am
21790 spacer
Arya was Littlefinger all along. It's why his accent changed every five seconds. Also, are we meant overlook the fact the Knights of the Vale witnessed Sansa give him an alibi for her aunt's death?
>> No. 21793 Anonymous
29th August 2017
Tuesday 5:06 pm
21793 spacer
>>21783
Haven't we had a cunt-off before about the relative sophistication of Medieval medicine?

>>21787
Presumably he has gone AWOL because Brienne told him too. She probably owes him a handjob so fair play.

>>21788
Better yet it transitions into a Dwarf Fortress tv series.
>> No. 21794 Anonymous
29th August 2017
Tuesday 5:07 pm
21794 spacer

Aunt.png
217942179421794


whiteline
>> No. 21760 Anonymous
23rd August 2017
Wednesday 12:35 am
21760 spacer
How do we escape this sort of shit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTBWfkE7BXU
This chan itself is a manifestation of something propaganda. How do we think around it?
10 posts and 1 image omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 21773 Anonymous
24th August 2017
Thursday 8:32 pm
21773 spacer
>>21772
It has always annoyed me too. Calling 4chan "the other place" has never been a rule. It is perhaps an allusion to the Commons referring to the Lords, perhaps. Or its just someone being a bit of a cock.
>> No. 21774 Anonymous
27th August 2017
Sunday 9:06 pm
21774 spacer
>>21773
>an allusion to the Commons referring to the Lords
That's what I thought it was, nothing pissy about it.
>> No. 21784 Anonymous
28th August 2017
Monday 7:15 pm
21784 spacer
>>21774

I recall a thread in the shed years ago, complaining how britfa had lost its way from the lovely olden days because people were using the word "memes" ("We've always called them in-jokes!", except for all that time before they were being called that when we didn't) and freely discussing 4chan ("I've always thought of us as being a step above that, certainly not a chan.")
>> No. 21791 Anonymous
29th August 2017
Tuesday 11:15 am
21791 spacer
It's advisable to switch off from the mass media if you can. Dispassionately researching facts and drawing your own conclusions is the best you can do. You won't have an accurate perception of the world, but at least you won't be believing someone else's lie.

The real question is; what sort of information should I seek, ultimately, and what sort of information should I seek next in furtherance of that? How much detail do I need to know? How much time should I devote to learning one thing over another? It's a really puzzling question.

What we can say for certain is that of the information available, it's in our best interests to omit the set of information presented to us which is intended to control our behavior and so limit our pursuit of personally relevant information in our interests. Thus; cut out the mass media. The mass media is and always has been there to serve a political function; it was never meant to give people an accurate and relevant perception of the world and its goings on.
>> No. 21792 Anonymous
29th August 2017
Tuesday 3:29 pm
21792 spacer
I think one of the most important things to remember is that these type of medias focus on issues happening in the Americas, not the UK (so much at least). It's easy to overlook this and make significantly paranoid and panic stricken changes to your lifes because you're worried about floride, food additives (or whatever). This isn't to say conspiracies don't happen here, but consider this; While you're investigating the corrupt goings on in a country on the other side of the globe, you're missing what's happening here, possibly on your doorstep. Distraction, you know?

>If people try to enter the system who don't have [the manufactured] point of view, they're likely to be excluded somewhere along the way. After all no institution is going to happily design a mechanism to self destruct. So they all work to exclude, marginalise or eliminate dissenting voices or alternative perspectives because they're disfuntional to the institution itself.

What I find interesting about this is there seems to be a split going on in America at the moment regarding 'alternate facts', race groups, etc. Who's behind this destabilisation of the status quo; could multiple parties be battling it out or is it all a ploy by those in power?

It's an interesting time to be alive.

whiteline
cashback_ver5_xlg.jpg
153191531915319
>> No. 15319 Anonymous
29th October 2013
Tuesday 10:52 pm
15319 Hidden Gems?
I found this bad boy on netflix, I watched for the tits stayed for the rest of the film. Brilliantly funny and touching. Anyone got any other hidden gems?
204 posts and 38 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 21268 Anonymous
30th October 2016
Sunday 3:28 pm
21268 spacer
>>21266

That was quite wonderfully Burroughsian. I applaud.
>> No. 21709 Anonymous
15th August 2017
Tuesday 10:51 pm
21709 spacer

large_large_9BdJz7b4WdJul0KVu42YFEgqzyp.jpg
217092170921709
I can't work out whether I liked this or not.

It's not something I'd watch again in a hurry.
>> No. 21710 Anonymous
15th August 2017
Tuesday 11:13 pm
21710 spacer
>>21268
What does that mean?
>> No. 21711 Anonymous
15th August 2017
Tuesday 11:32 pm
21711 spacer
Treat yourself to Headhunters the film of the jonesbo book. Also I rarely enjoy horror films, but I liked REC.
>> No. 21712 Anonymous
16th August 2017
Wednesday 11:05 am
21712 spacer
>>21711
I started reading Headhunters and was bored stiff by the end of the first chapter. Something about the narrator being an arrogant prick art dealer is all I remember.

whiteline
image.jpg
215882158821588
>> No. 21588 Anonymous
16th July 2017
Sunday 8:02 pm
21588 New Dr.
Noncelad must be taking this pretty badly.
43 posts and 2 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 21652 Anonymous
19th July 2017
Wednesday 12:30 am
21652 spacer
>>21648
Mental illness fundamentally affects how you interact with people though, I don't think it ever can be thought of in the same way. It's a part of your personality, to some degree inextricable.
>> No. 21653 Anonymous
19th July 2017
Wednesday 12:33 am
21653 spacer
>>21648
>mentally ill should be equivalent to saying I've got a cold, or the flu, or I sprained my ankle.

Not really, mental health has a stigma for a good reason because it can mean that you are a danger to yourself and to society at large. Obviously not all mental illnesses are the same but there is a reason we associate manics with violence, schizophrenics will paranoid destructive behavior, depressives with wallowing and self destruction, and autists with actually caring about doctor who canon.

I'm saying this as a person who has friends and family crippled by all of the above. In all seriousness I've had to deal with manics and depressives who have used being open about their problems as a way to absolve themselves of guilt for their shitty behavior and lack of self control, and people think they are helping by being 'understanding' and shifting the burned of their behavior on to everyone in their path, but this is tacit to abuse. Your cause is more short sighted than you think.

I agree an openness about depression for the introverted is a positive as it is for anxiety, and any learning disorder where people need to admit they fall short would be a benefit and there are plenty of milder cases where it would be relevant, but you can't treat all mental illnesses as being helped by people being accepting and open, and like it would always be of benefit to the problem, sometimes the best thing is for people to feel they should solider on and strive for a life of managing normality without drawing attention to themselves and people moving the bar to excusing their failures.
>> No. 21654 Anonymous
19th July 2017
Wednesday 3:08 pm
21654 spacer
Why is the main discussion in a Dr Who thread about mental health?
>> No. 21655 Anonymous
19th July 2017
Wednesday 3:29 pm
21655 spacer
>>21654
Too easy.
>> No. 21696 Anonymous
13th August 2017
Sunday 3:11 pm
21696 Speaking of Dr Who fans and mental illness...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LMA_AbDyBk

whiteline
>> No. 21682 Anonymous
10th August 2017
Thursday 1:21 am
21682 MarbleLympics 2017 Qualification round

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05VXgM6KrhM
Expand all images.
>> No. 21684 Anonymous
10th August 2017
Thursday 1:17 pm
21684 spacer
I spent an hours watching these last night and was late for work this morning.
>> No. 21685 Anonymous
10th August 2017
Thursday 11:10 pm
21685 spacer
Thank you for this.
>> No. 21687 Anonymous
11th August 2017
Friday 1:30 pm
21687 spacer
>>21684
I have spent some time watching them too - they are brilliant. How do people find the time and energy (and space) to set this all up.
>> No. 21688 Anonymous
11th August 2017
Friday 6:07 pm
21688 spacer
>>21687
By not being in Britain.
>> No. 21689 Anonymous
11th August 2017
Friday 6:27 pm
21689 spacer
If this was just shown dry without the commentary and graphical overlays it would be interesting, but boring. The addition of commentary and narrative makes this weirdly compelling.

whiteline
firbasefb.jpg
215632156321563
>> No. 21563 Anonymous
7th July 2017
Friday 6:51 pm
21563 Short Films
It looks like the old thread fell off the catalogue but Neill Blomkamp have been releasing a series of experimental short films that are insanely good. He's doing youtube installments of concepts to try and bypass controlling studios.

>Firebase
>Sci-Fi/Horror
Set in the Vietnam War. What the locals have called a river God goes on the warpath while having some sort of control over the fabric of reality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm0V24IEHao

>Rakka
>Sci-Fi/Action
In 2020 Alien lizards take over the Earth and push mankind to the brink of extinction as they use people for human experiments and start changing our planet to suit them. Staring Sigourney Weaver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjQ2t_yNHQs
Expand all images.
>> No. 21564 Anonymous
7th July 2017
Friday 7:22 pm
21564 spacer
>Rakka
All respect to Ms. Weaver but watching Rakka feels like an episode-length Previously on...
>> No. 21565 Anonymous
7th July 2017
Friday 8:24 pm
21565 spacer
>>21564

The conversation between Ripley and the Mad Bomber is awful, sound like it was written by an amateur.
>> No. 21566 Anonymous
8th July 2017
Saturday 9:13 am
21566 spacer
>>21565
The fire base thing has great effects but also feels adolescent in terms of plot/back story.
>> No. 21683 Anonymous
10th August 2017
Thursday 3:38 am
21683 spacer
>Tulip, Texas and Us
A girl falls for a tuba player. It has that style to it that you get in Wes Anderson films. Very enjoyable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56lIkBASYIY
(NSFW)

whiteline
The_Crystal_Maze_2017_title_card[1].jpg
215862158621586
>> No. 21586 Anonymous
15th July 2017
Saturday 6:16 pm
21586 spacer
I might be having a moment but can anyone tell me why the answer to the riddle is 3 bananas?

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-crystal-maze-celebrity-specials

Also let's discuss the reboot. I like Ayoade but the hand thing is a bit weird but I get it, it's part of his schtick. Could they not get Ed Tudor-Pole back? He has not aged well
Expand all images.
>> No. 21608 Anonymous
17th July 2017
Monday 1:12 am
21608 spacer
Tudor Pole doesn't like to even talk about it now. He was interviewed a while back and said he didn't really have much to say about what amounted to a few weeks' filming he did twenty odd years ago. He also rather snottily said "God didn't put me on this earth to be a gameshow host". Fuck him, he was never as good as Richard O'Brien
>> No. 21633 Anonymous
17th July 2017
Monday 9:09 pm
21633 spacer
>>21586
>I might be having a moment but can anyone tell me why the answer to the riddle is 3 bananas?
2 peppers
3 aubergines
1 plum
4 cauliflowers

ba-na-nas = 3 syllables
>> No. 21638 Anonymous
18th July 2017
Tuesday 2:22 am
21638 spacer
>>21633

You fucking clever dick
>> No. 21649 Anonymous
18th July 2017
Tuesday 11:07 pm
21649 spacer
>>21638
He's just outed himself as the sort of person that passes the GCHQ/MI5 recruitment tests.
>> No. 21650 Anonymous
18th July 2017
Tuesday 11:33 pm
21650 spacer
>>21649

The test seems to mostly be about not being the sort of person who talks about even considering a job with them and what is on the test, which is why I failed before I even started.

whiteline
90s.jpg
215042150421504
>> No. 21504 Anonymous
12th March 2017
Sunday 10:36 pm
21504 The 90s
Has anyone else noticed that over the past few months there's been a lot of 90s nostalgia "documentaries"? I swear I've seen 3 in the last few weeks.

Is there any reason for this? Has everyone decided that one of the most bland, unexciting decades has suddenly become amazing halcyon days?
23 posts and 8 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 21605 Anonymous
16th July 2017
Sunday 11:25 pm
21605 spacer
>>21585>>21587

Now I understand this a lot better.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXfKVTq8i7k

The comments are definitely worth a gander.

>>21603

And I guess this was the genesis for Videogaiden.

I am learning so, so much right now.
>> No. 21609 Anonymous
17th July 2017
Monday 2:02 am
21609 spacer
>>21605

It really is a pitch-perfect pisstake.

While we're on an obscure late-night vibe, does anyone remember Gaytime TV? It's amazing how far we've come in twenty-odd years.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn14pbJSFVo
>> No. 21610 Anonymous
17th July 2017
Monday 2:43 am
21610 spacer
>>21609
The first five minutes talk about how this or that is the first ever such-and-such for gays and lesbians. I wonder if this is what they called the pink pound. "We've got a new perfume coming out, let's say it's the first one specifically for gays and it'll sell loads."
>> No. 21611 Anonymous
17th July 2017
Monday 3:46 am
21611 spacer
>>21610

>I wonder if this is what they called the pink pound.

Very much so, but it marked a really important change for gay and lesbian people.

Back in 1995, Section 28 was still in force, a law stating that no local authority may "promote the teaching in any maintained school of the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship". Homosexuality had been officially decriminalised in 1967, but gay men were still being arrested well into the 80s on charges of "outraging public decency". The age of consent wouldn't be equalised until 2000. The trauma of the AIDS epidemic was still very raw - just a few years previously, an HIV diagnosis was a death sentence. A lot of people saw a lot of friends die, eaten away by tumours and infections and god knows what.

As laughable as it seems now, the idea of a gay advert or a gay perfume was genuinely thrilling. Those little tokens of acceptance really meant something. The attitude of "your money is as good as anyone else's" marked a real sea change. We weren't quite normal yet, but we weren't perverts or plague carriers any more.
>> No. 21630 Anonymous
17th July 2017
Monday 7:29 pm
21630 spacer
>>21603
We need some GET STUFFED

whiteline
Delete Post []
Password  
Previous[0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8]