recent posts
[ b / iq / g / zoo ] [ e / news / lab ] [ v / nom / pol / eco / emo / 101 / shed ]
[ art / A / beat / boo / com / fat / job / lit / map / mph / poof / £$€¥ / spo / uhu / uni / x / y ] [ * | sfw | o ]
Subject   (new thread)
Message
File  []
close
dragqueens_0.jpg
150411504115041
>> No. 15041 Anonymous
10th May 2018
Thursday 5:43 pm
/news/15041 spacer
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/drag-queens-banned-from-performing-at-free-pride-glasgow-event-over-fears-acts-will-offend-trans-10405214.html

>Drag queens banned from performing at Free Pride Glasgow event over fears acts will offend trans people

[...]

>The organisation said in a statement that it hopes to create a safe space for all members of the LGBTQIA+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, intersex, asexual) community, and that while the decision may "disappoint" some people "the needs of the most marginalised groups within our community come first."

[...]

>Free Pride Glasgow said: “It was felt that it [drag performance] would make some of those who were transgender or questioning their gender uncomfortable. It was felt by the group within the Trans/Non Binary Caucus that some drag performance, particularly cis drag, hinges on the social view of gender and making it into a joke, however transgender individuals do not feel as though their gender identity is a joke.”


Life rarely takes the piss out of itself like this. It almost sounds like the plot of a South Park episode.
441 posts and 27 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 18419 Anonymous
26th February 2019
Tuesday 7:09 pm
18419 spacer
>>18418

The intersectionalists know the rhetoric well enough of the left yet they choose to ignore the greatest defining factor of power, wealth. The answer is simple; This is not empowerment for the masses but for the elite, the most telling factor is the obsession with CEOs a group so niche and powerful anyway that the idea I should weep for the female CEO that she isn't paid as much as the male should be laughably insulting, and yet this is the obsession. I dont know how everyone became brainwashed to take up their mantle, yet here we are.
>> No. 18420 Anonymous
26th February 2019
Tuesday 8:03 pm
18420 spacer
>>18419

A female CEO who earns £10 million a year while a man in a similar position gets £15m is hardly below the poverty line. It's all a mater of perspective, as I think we are agreeing upon here.

Also, we have to ask ourselves whether it is really such a fundamental mark of equality of society that there exists such a thing as gender parity in boardrooms. What is true enough is that women should have the same opportunities as men. A woman who wants to assume a leadership role within a company should get to do so if she is qualified and puts in enough hard work to get there. Just as any man. But in the end, when you look at surveys, being at the top of a company or corporation just isn't a career goal that is as widespread among women as it is among men. A lot of women say they will be just as happy with a career that either doesn't demand quite as much of them, or where they have more time to spend with their family and all that kind of thing. So in essence the problem then isn't that there are too few women in top executive positions, but that it just isn't what as many women want for themselves as men tend to do.

The Norwegians were among the first countries to mandate gender parity in top executive positions, but the problem is that there just aren't enough qualified and ambitious women to fill all those positions, at least not up to actual parity. So the Norwegians have now coined the term "golden skirts", which means that women get to go to the top simply because otherwise there just wouldn't be enough women to fill the required quota.

But that's a problem you see on a lot of social political issues. The idea of equal opportunity gets confused with the idea of equal results. And having gender parity in boardrooms is not the same as equal opportunity. You've got equal results, but that doesn't mean everything's peachy. And if I remember correctly, the actual economic performance as a company or corporation has proved to not really be significantly better just because there are more women at the helm. At least there is no strong correlation indicating that companies with boardroom gender parity are doing better than others.
>> No. 18421 Anonymous
26th February 2019
Tuesday 11:09 pm
18421 spacer
>>18420

You've made three paragraphs trying to discredit an idea that really should be simpler to tackle to that. After all, when was the last time you heard of an executive, male or female, who wasn't a sleazy weasel bastard who back-stabbed and arse-licked their way to the top? These are the same people who drive companies bankrupt and run off with the pensions, it's hardly a laudable ideal in life.

Modern feminism isn't about equality at all. It's not even about feminism. It's just another tool of division and manufactured consent.
>> No. 18422 Anonymous
27th February 2019
Wednesday 12:58 am
18422 spacer
>>18421
Yes! And the solution to this problem is to continue discouraging women from corporate careers whilst doing nothing to tackle corporate dominance in society. That'll show em.
>> No. 18423 Anonymous
27th February 2019
Wednesday 10:11 am
18423 spacer
>>18422

>And the solution to this problem is to continue discouraging women from corporate careers whilst doing nothing to tackle corporate dominance in society.

Are you deliberately being thick?

whiteline

>> No. 22481 Anonymous
13th November 2018
Tuesday 5:14 pm
/v/22481 Detective Pikachu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1roy4o4tqQM

What?
1 post omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 22483 Anonymous
14th November 2018
Wednesday 2:28 pm
22483 spacer
I think they're trying to test the theory that Ryan Reynolds can make anything brilliant. I can only assume they haven't seen Green Lantern.
>> No. 22484 Anonymous
14th November 2018
Wednesday 2:37 pm
22484 spacer
It's aimed at people who grew up with Pokémon Red/Blue, who are now in their thirties.
>> No. 22486 Anonymous
14th November 2018
Wednesday 2:59 pm
22486 spacer
>>22484
Why would people in their thirties want to watch a children's film? You mean parents?
>> No. 22488 Anonymous
14th November 2018
Wednesday 3:07 pm
22488 spacer
>>22486

Because people in their thirties grew up with pokemon. Nostalgia is big business. It does look like it's been made to look like a gritty netflix special, despite it obviously being a kiddie film.
>> No. 22576 Anonymous
27th February 2019
Wednesday 6:47 am
22576 spacer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bILE5BEyhdo

whiteline

LagoasSaoMiguel_7.jpg
418566418566418566
>> No. 418566 Anonymous
8th July 2018
Sunday 11:58 am
/b/418566 spacer
Lads, I've been having a think. How much do you plan your life? As in:-

• "I want to live in a nice house in that lovely village I always pass through. Here's how I'm going to achieve it."
• "The ultimate aim in my career is to be doing x.
• "I want to retire by the time I'm 60. I'm going to put away x amount of money every month to try and achieve this."
• "By the time I'm 40 I'd like to have traveled to the Azores, Japan, New Zealand and the Galapagos islands."
• "I want to learn a new language in the next two years."
• "This summer I'm going to walk the Three Peaks, go white water rafting and start training for my first 10k."

You get the idea. I have a milestone birthday later this month and, whilst my life isn't without direction, I could probably do with some more concrete end goals and how these are to be achieved.
64 posts and 5 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 424525 Anonymous
26th February 2019
Tuesday 12:58 pm
424525 spacer
Has anyone here tried YNAB? It sounds interesting but I'm put off somewhat by the monthly fee and its functionality being aimed primarily at North Americans.

https://www.youneedabudget.com
>> No. 424526 Anonymous
26th February 2019
Tuesday 1:38 pm
424526 spacer
>>424525
I bought YNAB 4 on Steam, and I see it's no longer available. Back then it was just software you paid once for. I had no idea that it had switched to a subscription-based service. That's awful. You have to budget for your budgeting software?

Anyway, YNAB 4 worked fine for me. You don't even need the software, because YNAB is a method composed of simple rules:
1. Give Every Dollar a Job (i.e. categorise all your money each month, you don't have any 'spare' cash, and if you do, you put it in a specific 'spare' category)
2. Save for a Rainy Day (i.e. set up categories for any emergencies and allocate savings for them so you aren't taken by surprise when the worst happens)
3. Roll with the Punches (i.e. if you overspend in one category, no worries, next month just increase your budget for that category)
4. Live on Last Month's Income (i.e. if you can pay this month's bills with the money you made last month, you don't need to worry about money any more).
>> No. 424562 Anonymous
26th February 2019
Tuesday 7:16 pm
424562 spacer
>>424526
They claim that you will save far more than the subscription cost. Its main selling points seem to be that it can integrate with US bank accounts to breakdown and analyse your spending and also it can be used to set and measure progress towards financial goals.

I've been spending a fair bit of time on r/UKPersonalFinance after seeing it mentioned on here a few time; the key things I've gleaned from it are get some form of budgeting software, change jobs every 3-5 years if your salary is falling below the market rate and to invest any money you can tie away into index trackers to benefit from compound growth.
>> No. 424568 Anonymous
26th February 2019
Tuesday 9:00 pm
424568 spacer
>>424525

The American functionality absolutely ruined it in my opinion.
>> No. 424569 Anonymous
26th February 2019
Tuesday 9:12 pm
424569 spacer
>>424525
It is very good indeed. Use it and pay for it.

whiteline

24372093861_c4acd9dda2_b.jpg
626556265562655
>> No. 62655 YubYub
26th February 2019
Tuesday 8:40 pm
/iq/62655 spacer
Yer mam shops at nettos.

whiteline

xxxx.png
746974697469
>> No. 7469 Anonymous
26th February 2019
Tuesday 5:11 pm
/£$€¥/7469 spacer
Friend's bag was stolen from my car, and a card from their wallet was used to make 4 contactless payments (3 pictured). I asked my friend to ask the bank to send a more detailed breakdown of transactions (times and locations), and she was told by the bank's fraud team that they don't have location information available to them -- just what you can see. Is this really true, or has there been a miscommunication somewhere? My supposition was that there's something like a location ID for each transaction, that could be used to determine in which of the 3 within-walking-distance Sainsburys' the card was used.
Expand all images.
>> No. 7470 Anonymous
26th February 2019
Tuesday 5:13 pm
7470 spacer
my mistake -- only 2 of the 3 payments pictured.
>> No. 7471 Anonymous
26th February 2019
Tuesday 5:18 pm
7471 spacer
>>7469
What use do you hope to gain from that information? Just report the thing stolen and dispute the charges.
>> No. 7472 Anonymous
26th February 2019
Tuesday 5:33 pm
7472 spacer
>>7471
What's the point of all this modern tracking information if we can't use it to go all Liam Neeson in Taken on petty thieves? Or real life Liam Neeson if they happen to be black?
>> No. 7473 Anonymous
26th February 2019
Tuesday 5:47 pm
7473 spacer
>>7472

Even if the banks have this information (which I really don't know if they do, but you'd assume so) this is exactly the reason why they don't give it out to the public, particularly the angry public wot just got his wallet nicked.
>> No. 7474 Anonymous
26th February 2019
Tuesday 5:48 pm
7474 spacer
>>7473
The bank won't have that information, but Sainsburys would. They aren't going to give it out unless the police come knocking.

whiteline

>> No. 11608 Anonymous
25th February 2019
Monday 11:31 pm
/beat/11608 Mark Hollis, Talk Talk


Goodnight sweet, sweet prince.
2 posts omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 11612 Anonymous
25th February 2019
Monday 11:51 pm
11612 spacer
If you don't know what the fuss is about when it's all written over the next few days, spend 3.5 hours listening to the following albums

The Colour of Spring
Spirit of Eden
The Party's Over
Talk Talk

These four albums were the best bits of the Eighties that you might not know about.
>> No. 11613 Anonymous
25th February 2019
Monday 11:54 pm
11613 spacer

>> No. 11614 Anonymous
25th February 2019
Monday 11:55 pm
11614 spacer
A huge loss for music, this is the first musician death that's really hurt me. Talk Talk's music was really important to me when I was going through some hard times.

>>11612
I'd highly recommend Laughing Stock and Mark Hollis' s/t album too, everything that man worked on is amazing.
>> No. 11615 Anonymous
25th February 2019
Monday 11:56 pm
11615 spacer

>> No. 11616 Anonymous
25th February 2019
Monday 11:59 pm
11616 spacer
>>11614
Me too - the first one. I've played every one of these tracks hundreds of times, from the first time around as a moody teenlad when they came out, to literally a couple of days ago.

whiteline

082036_72e615fe.jpg
510351035103
>> No. 5103 Anonymous
22nd September 2011
Thursday 9:56 pm
/101/5103 spacer
THERE'S TRAFFIC AT THE OTHER SIDE OF THE JUNCTION BUT INSTEAD OF LETTING YOU PULL OUT I'M GOING TO CREEP MY CAR FORWARD A FEW METRES AND BLOCK YOU IN BECAUSE I'M AN INCONSIDERATE CUNT WHO WOULD RATHER INCONVENIENCE OTHERS JUST SO I CAN SPEED UP MY OWN JOURNEY BY A FEW SECONDS.
614 posts and 42 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 27941 Anonymous
3rd December 2018
Monday 5:45 pm
27941 spacer
Some car headlights are just too fucking bright.
>> No. 27942 Anonymous
3rd December 2018
Monday 5:49 pm
27942 spacer
>>27941
Typically they're compensating for the driver.
>> No. 27943 Anonymous
3rd December 2018
Monday 5:51 pm
27943 spacer
>>27924
If a driver revs their engine while I'm crossing I go back and stand in front of their car until the lights go red again.
>> No. 27958 Anonymous
6th December 2018
Thursday 8:24 am
27958 spacer
I think someone has been in my car last night, judging by the glovebox being open and things from there and the compartment next to the gearbox being on the floor. I suppose it was inevitable, having a car that tucks in the wing mirrors when it is locked and a scatterbrained girlfriend who doesn't always remember to lock the car. At least there was nothing for them worth pinching.
>> No. 28392 Anonymous
25th February 2019
Monday 5:08 pm
28392 spacer
I was about two-thirds of the way past a bus when it simultaneously indicated and swerved out from the stop, almost hitting me. Bus drivers are right cunts.

whiteline

artworks-000230163085-9t2z20-t500x500.jpg
270472704727047
>> No. 27047 Anonymous
12th July 2018
Thursday 2:03 pm
/emo/27047 Where to meet birds
So, I've decided to try and not be that guy, a relationship-less virgin, into my mid-20s, which doesn't leave me with very long. I'm home from uni for the summer and have decided it's time to sort my act out.

The only problem - where to meet women?

I've completed tinder in a 15 mile radius, likewise for Bumble - zero (0) matches. I've messaged pretty much every girl on OKCupid with a match >75%; not one has replied.

What can I do now? The few local schoolfriends I am still in contact with are all male, everyone at my job is male, and all the women I talk to (from uni) are either in a relationship or otherwise not an option.

Going out to clubs doesn't work because a) I don't have anyone to go with, and b) when I try and do anything but stand at the bar drinking in a club (ie dance) I look like a tortoise trying to pilot a motorcycle.

Any ideas?
227 posts and 21 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 28054 Anonymous
6th February 2019
Wednesday 6:47 am
28054 spacer
>>28052
Try Bumble?
>> No. 28055 Anonymous
6th February 2019
Wednesday 11:15 am
28055 spacer

picrel.jpg
280552805528055
>>28053
>>28000
>My Tinder profile has:
>1. Me on a mountain (so they can identify me)
>2. Me in the pub with a couple of m8s
>3. Me with my parents' dog
>4. Me with some m8s on a night out

I went to three different society events last week (one of which I run), and went out twice.


>>28054
Pic related.
>> No. 28060 Anonymous
6th February 2019
Wednesday 4:19 pm
28060 spacer
>>28054

(Not OP) Bumble was an utter non starter for me, I literally didn't get a single match all the time I used it and ended up giving up on it. Tinder is a bit of disgrace, but the fact that you can wade in and have a go rather than wait for that one in a zillion woman who's going to message you first at least gives you some kind of competitive edge.
>> No. 28190 Anonymous
25th February 2019
Monday 1:18 am
28190 spacer
I went out 7 days in a row, so much so I had to turn stuff down this weekend because I was so exhausted - it's absolutely not a social life issue - it may have been a couple of years ago, but now I have too much on, if anything.

Going to get on the blower to the doctor to see if I can get a diagnosis; I guess the signs do point to me being on the spectrum, somewhere.
>> No. 28191 Anonymous
25th February 2019
Monday 1:22 am
28191 spacer

picrel.png
281912819128191
>>28190
Pic related.

whiteline

>> No. 11069 Anonymous
13th July 2018
Friday 7:22 pm
/beat/11069 Hip hop head thread

104 posts and 5 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 11509 Anonymous
14th January 2019
Monday 1:30 pm
11509 spacer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osnCVm0lCdE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL4fG3TIMdc
>> No. 11540 Anonymous
22nd January 2019
Tuesday 2:00 am
11540 spacer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIi1dett7ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzOhLNDRLNA
>> No. 11548 Anonymous
26th January 2019
Saturday 6:17 pm
11548 spacer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9BDLChKzIU
>> No. 11581 Anonymous
8th February 2019
Friday 8:55 pm
11581 spacer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Ekc-7hkK0
>> No. 11607 Anonymous
25th February 2019
Monday 12:33 am
11607 spacer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqGB7Zuza_U

whiteline

pet-shop-boys.jpg
870787078707
>> No. 8707 Anonymous
27th October 2014
Monday 6:03 pm
/beat/8707 Cover songs
The Pet Shop Boys' Always On My Mind has been voted the top cover version of all time in a BBC Music vote.

The song, written by John Christopher, Mark James and Wayne Carson, was first made famous by Brenda Lee and Elvis Presley in 1972.

Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails' Hurt came in second place, followed by The Stranglers' version of Dionne Warwick's Walk On By. Jimi Hendrix's take on Bob Dylan's All Along The Watchtower came fourth. Jeff Buckley's cover of Leonard Cohen's classic Hallelujah completed the top five.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29791820

Not keen on that version of Walk On By but I like the rest. I reckon I'd have to have a good think about my favourite covers and I'm sure I'd still forget some.
111 posts and 1 image omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 11585 Anonymous
11th February 2019
Monday 7:28 am
11585 spacer
An old favourite from the days of mislabeled songs on Kazaa and Limewire.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh_j9xrwUb0
>> No. 11599 Anonymous
13th February 2019
Wednesday 7:32 pm
11599 spacer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yKwYaq5Kf4
>> No. 11604 Anonymous
22nd February 2019
Friday 7:07 pm
11604 spacer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twQlpFrm5iM
>> No. 11605 Anonymous
22nd February 2019
Friday 7:18 pm
11605 spacer

>> No. 11606 Anonymous
24th February 2019
Sunday 11:54 pm
11606 spacer

This girl's voice.

whiteline

I_wonder_what_boo_would_make_of_this.jpg
289028902890
>> No. 2890 Anonymous
6th July 2014
Sunday 5:12 pm
/boo/2890 Please explain what the fuck is going on here boo-lads
Mr Danczuk described the warning that came after a vote in the House of Commons on Monday night when a senior Conservative MP “stepped out of the shadows” to confront him.

He said: “I’d never spoken to him before my life but he blocked my way and ushered me to one side.

“He warned me to think very carefully about what I was going to say the next day before the Home Affairs Select Committee when I’d be answering questions on child abuse.

“’I hear you’re about to challenge Lord Brittan about when he knew about child sex abuse,’ he said. ‘It wouldn’t be a wise move', he advised me. 'It was all put to bed a long time ago.’ He warned me I could even be responsible for his death.

“We looked at each other in silence for a second. I knew straight away he wasn’t telling me this out of concern or the man’s welfare. There was no compassion in his voice.

Writing in the Mail on Sunday, he added: “As politicians made their way out of Westminster, I had no doubt that other conversations like this were taking place.

“Indeed this was confirmed when I spoke to other members of the Select Committee the next day. They’d been paid similar visits. Phone calls had been made.”

- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10949366/Simon-Danczuk-I-was-warned-not-to-challenge-Leon-Brittan-over-paedophile-dossier.html
919 posts and 106 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 4726 Anonymous
23rd January 2019
Wednesday 10:31 am
4726 spacer
>>4718
They are going to railroad this poor man for having the courage to try and stop them.
>> No. 4727 Anonymous
24th February 2019
Sunday 3:04 am
4727 spacer
One of Britain’s top spy chiefs quit after it emerged that he helped a paedophile Catholic priest avoid jail, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.

Prime Minister Theresa May was last night accused of a cover-up over the scandal as she knew of GCHQ director Robert Hannigan’s connection to the child sex offender when he stood down in 2017. At the time, Mr Hannigan had cited ‘family reasons’, with this crucial link kept secret.

The high-flying civil servant, who was lauded for his role in striking peace in Northern Ireland, stunned Whitehall with his exit after just two years in charge of GCHQ.

This newspaper has learned he stepped down after the National Crime Agency discovered that he helped a close family friend avoid a custodial sentence for possessing 174 child pornography images After Mr Hannigan provided a character reference for Father Edmund Higgins at his 2013 trial, the priest’s eight-month sentence was suspended. The judge said Higgins had ‘struggled with his sexuality’. But Higgins went on to reoffend, and during an NCA probe his links to Mr Hannigan were discovered and No 10 was alerted.

The powerful mandarin gave the reference ‘in good faith’ a year before his appointment as director of the 5,000-strong Government Communications Headquarters, the notoriously secretive eavesdropping agency. After his conviction, Edmund Higgins, who had served at St Elizabeth’s Church in Richmond, South-West London, was defrocked and changed his name to Edmund Black.

With the Prime Minister’s blessing, he was allowed to resign on January 23, 2017, citing family commitments. Anonymous briefings were given to the media that he would be caring for sick relatives. That same year, Mrs May said: ‘The sunlight of transparency acts… as an important check and balance, and helps ensure the highest standards of public life among senior Government representatives.’

Last night Mr Hannigan, who began to train as a priest before joining the civil service, confirmed that Higgins had been a family friend for two decades. But he admitted his ‘judgment was completely wrong’ in providing the character reference. After his conviction, Higgins, who had served at St Elizabeth’s Church in Richmond, South-West London, was defrocked and changed his name to Edmund Black, but continued to offend.

The Mail on Sunday has learned that No 10 was alerted in early 2017 that the NCA was investigating Higgins as part of a major probe into online chatrooms that hosted abuse of babies. His connection to Mr Hannigan was highlighted to figures at the very top of Government, including the Prime Minister.

Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
>> No. 4728 Anonymous
24th February 2019
Sunday 10:07 am
4728 spacer
>>4727
This was the first thing I read after waking up and I consistently misread it as "spy chef" which was confusing.
>online chatrooms that hosted abuse of babies
christ
>> No. 4729 Anonymous
24th February 2019
Sunday 6:05 pm
4729 spacer
>>4727
It's an incredible story, proper /boo/ shit. WTF would anyone take the risk of appearing / writing a character reference for someone accused of kiddie-fiddling.

Exceptionally poor judgement - which is not what you want in the head of GCHQ, so entirely right that he had to go.
>> No. 4730 Anonymous
24th February 2019
Sunday 7:56 pm
4730 spacer


whiteline

Dickens_Gurney_head.jpg
688168816881
>> No. 6881 Anonymous
5th January 2019
Saturday 7:04 pm
/lit/6881 Why is British literature so shit?
Dickens literally sucks dick.
Why haven't we had a smash hit since good ol' Willy Shakespeare?
21 posts and 1 image omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 6911 Anonymous
7th January 2019
Monday 8:22 am
6911 spacer
>>6901
The Quiet American is a very good film. It's based on a work by Graham Greene, who, incidentally, is a superb British novelist.
>> No. 6912 Anonymous
7th January 2019
Monday 3:25 pm
6912 spacer
>>6911
I've only read his Our Man in Havana. Midly amusing and just had some bits I could relate to.
>> No. 6913 Anonymous
7th January 2019
Monday 5:26 pm
6913 spacer
>>6912

The Travels With My Aunt film was decent. I have the book but didn't get around to it yet.
>> No. 6914 Anonymous
7th January 2019
Monday 6:53 pm
6914 spacer
>>6898
Fair points.
>> No. 6959 Anonymous
24th February 2019
Sunday 6:11 pm
6959 spacer
Dickens isn't a great example of prime British literature. IIRC, Orwell said that he (Dickens) was out of touch with real life because he'd done nothing but write for a living. So he needed to fill pages with melodrama and conversation in lieu of description, which is what I, and probably plenty of others, dislike about him.

I personally will look at a book by a British author before anything else. Not that there aren't plenty of stinkers out there, but other writers don't ever reach the same level of proficiency with their language. I'd even argue that they exceed the best writers in non-English languages, although of course I'm biased.

>Why haven't we had a smash hit since good ol' Willy Shakespeare?

That would be Harry Potter, whether you want to admit it or not.

whiteline

weeworm.jpg
172271722717227
>> No. 17227 Anonymous
6th November 2013
Wednesday 10:41 am
/e/17227 spacer
I bought the worms bundle twice absent mindedly so here are the extra keys .gs

Superfrog HD https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=sMmGPe2yUKPMm3HC
Worms Blast https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=DRYGuGM38VdnxfuF
Worms Crazy Golf https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=eYEPWANxqsCnqkfY
Worms Ultimate Mayhem https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=xbqFPzD2SDRXmNSz
Worms Armageddon https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=U7TeH7v3r64aWT74
Worms Pinball https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=B73d2Xh85TTbdGyE

One each, that means you bikethief and stickyfingerslad.

https://www.humblebundle.com/ is Batman GOTY editions and FEAR.
611 posts and 49 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 22734 Anonymous
24th February 2019
Sunday 10:17 am
22734 spacer
This point and click adventure is free on epic games right now

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/thimbleweed-park/home
>> No. 22735 Anonymous
24th February 2019
Sunday 1:58 pm
22735 spacer
>>22734
There are many different clients which have free game incentives. If I didn't know better, I would be inclined towards the assumption that you want people to download the launcher and the free game is irrelevant.
>> No. 22736 Anonymous
24th February 2019
Sunday 2:20 pm
22736 spacer
>>22735
Not at all. People have shared games here which I have enjoyed in the past so I thought I'd contribute. I saw this on efreebies and I thought some people might like it. I'm not the same lad who mentioned it earlier.
>> No. 22737 Anonymous
24th February 2019
Sunday 2:20 pm
22737 spacer
>>22735

You reckon anyone is doing to bother directly marketing to the three of us?
>> No. 22738 Anonymous
24th February 2019
Sunday 2:33 pm
22738 spacer
>>22737
Fortnite must really be getting worried by Apex Legends if they're marketing directly to us.

whiteline

thumbnail-5e53328468e7fc1732f5eee4e31a3252-1024x68.jpg
746474647464
>> No. 7464 Anonymous
24th February 2019
Sunday 3:15 am
/£$€¥/7464 spacer
I've come to seek some very serious financial advice. I'm in my mid thirties but I've never borrowed a penny from an official institution. I'm not quite a pikey but I'm not that far removed if I'm being honest. I've grown up in a culture of working for cash and buying things for cash. Debt is a dirty word in my family and I've always lived within my means.

I've been quite frugal over the years and have managed to put together about 90k in savings. My employment history is sketchy at best and although I've been working since I left school, there are some serious gaps in the official records when it comes to my income.

For the past six months I've been self employed with about 80k a year coming in. All declared and above board.

I've always assumed that I couldn't get a mortgage and I'm still doubtful but I thought it might be worth asking some strangers whether I'm right.

My current overheads are pretty low and at a push I can save a good few grand a month after tax and rent etc. That means I could potentially have a lot more in the bank in the near future.

I desperately want to own a house and I know I could buy something tiny in a shit place with the money I have but I've recently been wondering what I could get if a bank would lend me a big chunk. I don't want anything fancy but it would be nice to have some space in a nice area.

As I said I know nothing about debt so my main questions are do I have any chance of getting a mortgage with only 6 months of official financial stability (and no credit history), and if so, how much would they lend me with 90ish as a deposit?


Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
Expand all images.
>> No. 7465 Anonymous
24th February 2019
Sunday 3:18 am
7465 spacer
Go and see a mortgage broker.
>> No. 7466 Anonymous
24th February 2019
Sunday 8:41 am
7466 spacer
You can normally borrow about 4.5x of your salary on top of your deposit. You'll probably need a longer history of income, especially if self-employed. That could take a year or two.

It might be worth getting a credit card and spending a bit each month, making sure it's paid off in full to avoid interest. It's an easy way to demonstrate that you manage money well. Having no evidence of debt management can be a negative thing, I suppose the logic is 'if we can't see you managing small debts, we're unsure about your personality with larger debts'.

I often check both moneysavingexpert and r/ukpersonalfinance because they'll have a lot of info on this sort of thing.
>> No. 7467 Anonymous
24th February 2019
Sunday 9:45 am
7467 spacer
>>7466
Seconded for r/ukpersonalfinance , there's some absolutely stellar advice given there on this sort of thing.
>> No. 7468 Anonymous
24th February 2019
Sunday 10:32 am
7468 spacer
>>7464
Okay - a mortgage broker will definitely help as they will have actual offers from lenders. I can recommend Charles Cameron.

There are three variables to a mortgage - how much you earn (£80k), how much deposit you have (£90k) and how affordable your monthly payments are going to be. On the downside, you're self-employed, which means you have to do a little bit more proving you can still earn that much in the future. Your £90k deposit is a very good upside though. You can generally borrow between 3x and 5x your earnings depending on how dependable they are and the lender/offer.

On the affordability side, the general rule of thumb is you should be spending no more than 28% of your monthly income after tax is paid, which for you is about 1200 quid per month. The last variable is how many years you are taking the mortgage for, this varies between 10 and 30 years. Based on all that I would think you could be getting a mortgage of about £250k which added to your deposit means you can buy a property of £300k-ish.

You should get a mortgage that allows you to overpay - if you're as good a saver as you say, this means that you can overpay it every month, which dramatically shortens the term. There are mortgages (offset mortgages) that also allow you to keep your savings and balance the mortgage against it - again, a broker will help here as they can get actual offers to talk about.

When you speak to a broker, and they talk to lenders, you'll have to do some extra work because of being self-employed and the fact that rules have tightened up around affordability recently, but you have a good deposit and that really helps.

whiteline

>> No. 28149 Anonymous
19th February 2019
Tuesday 10:45 pm
/emo/28149 Help from experienced people
Guys, what do you do if you're in a relationship where you feel like the main reason for being there is compassion rather than it actually being fulfilling? I love my girlfriend, but I also feel like I'm the only person in her life (I'm not really exaggerating). Sometimes I feel like for what we've been through together, good and bad, we have something great and special. But we don't have a great sex life to be honest (I could go in to this a lot), and generally feel 'out of sync' a lot of the time in a way that makes things difficult for us. I also feel like I can't talk about how I really feel about things with her, and that I 'act' a lot around her just to get by. She has also had a very complex life in many ways. I know this sounds very smug and patronising, but knowing how she gets by with life, I get a terrible feeling if I think about how her life would go without me, and this makes me want to stick with her even if I'm not happy with how things are between us. She is good in lots of ways and never tries to guilt me about what I've mentioned, and having read everything I've written the obvious answer seems to be to work on things, but I'd value a second opinion from someone impartial, often I get the feeling I'm compromising my life for this.
3 posts omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 28161 Anonymous
22nd February 2019
Friday 3:37 am
28161 spacer
>>28149

It may not be all that useful, but as it's all I have, I'll share my own personal experience with you.

In a situation much like yours, I continued my relationship with my wife long after I knew that, for me, the relationship was over. I like to pretend it's somewhere in my top three regrets, but really I know that it's right up there at number one.

I didn't finish things with her because I didn't want to break her heart or, as pitiful as it sounds, to be the "bad guy" in the story. This because there was no real reason for ending things other than the horrible, inconvenient, fact that I'd met someone who I liked a lot more.

Four years later I finally pulled the plug and we've been living separately for about a year now. I've met someone new but it's not really even in the same ball park as that girl I knew all those years ago. We still email back and forth every now and then and joke "maybe when we're old and stable we'll finally get together" and to be honest it breaks my heart all over again.

"A time for everything, and everything in its own time."

Sage for nothing very much of value at all.
>> No. 28177 Anonymous
23rd February 2019
Saturday 12:21 am
28177 spacer
>>28151
>It might be helpful to think about this in terms of where you'll both be in 5 or 10 years or so.

This is a pretty good metric for working out how you feel about someone deep down. Does the thought of staying in this situation in 5 years time fill you with a sense of dread? Or can you actually entertain the idea of things getting better and feeling satisfied? It sounds like even if the second is true, you probably won't get there without communicating these things to her at some point. You shouldn't feel beholden to someone's ability to take care of themselves, as others have said you need to draw a line somewhere between being a crutch for someone and being in a mutual partnership. What may or may not happen to her without you, or even what she does with her life with you, is largely her responsibility. It might help you to try and paint a picture in your mind of what would be a fulfilling relationship for you, and see if you can pin down some specifics for yourself compared with the situation right now that you can then take to her. But yeah, you're not going to get anywhere fast without actually talking to her, mate. Good luck.
>> No. 28184 Anonymous
23rd February 2019
Saturday 12:50 pm
28184 spacer
>>28149

> I also feel like I can't talk about how I really feel about things with her, and that I 'act' a lot around her just to get by.


Unfortunately, this is a pretty straightforward and critical sign that the two of you aren't a good match and aren't meant for each other.

If this is a persistent thing, then the two of you are better off just breaking it off. You may think that it wouldn't be fair on her to just leave her to bumble about through life without you, but it also isn't fair on you to have to stick with her just because the thought of her being on her own worries you. You're supposed to be her boyfriend, not her social worker.

I'm also not sure that this is something that can really be worked out. You aren't just magically going to become soul mates just because you sit down and have a talk about all these things. You either are, or you aren't. And I've seen couples like you two stick together for many years, but in the end always coming back to the realisation that all this time, they were never able to talk to each other, which then made them feel like their relationship was a big waste of time looking back.

I had a relationship like that once, and right after we broke up, a friend actually asked me why I was sad to no longer be with somebody that I very obviously never had much to talk to about. I got angry at him at the time, but probably more because he had hit a nerve. And the revelation came a few months later when I met another lass, and we spent six hours nonstop, without interruption, just talking to each other in my car in a car park on our first date. And I remember going home that night just feeling dumbstruck that that kind of thing was possible. We didn't end up becoming an actual couple because despite our ability to keep a conversation going together for hours on end, we were just too different. But it was a revelation nonetheless, and it opened my eyes for the first time to the fact that if nobody else, your partner really should be the person you can talk to better than anybody else.
>> No. 28188 Anonymous
23rd February 2019
Saturday 7:46 pm
28188 spacer
>>28149

I could have very well written this post myself nine months ago.

Other lads have given some insightful advice, and I'm probably going to be clouded in judgement because of how much it feels like it hits home, but what I can tell you is that I got out of there and I'm completely glad that I did.

With distance and separation, it became clear to me that my sense of duty, care, and compassion towards a girl I perceived as naive and helpless were utterly misguided. She may have seemed defenceless and innocent but in reality she was perfectly capable of looking after herself- Better so than me, in fact, and I have to seriously question whether she was purposely exploiting and emotionally blackmailing me. I'm not saying it's the case for you, lad, but it's very easy not to realise when you are being manipulated; and the people who do that kind of thing to you will make it very difficult to judge with clarity.

What really made it apparent for me, is how she spent a couple of hours crying and begging me not to leave her- But after that, it was like a switch had flipped. She dropped the act and I saw I side of her I never imagined, a vengeful and nasty woman who I can only assume never really cared for me as a person, but merely for the status of being a "successful adult" in a relationship and had a flat together etc etc. She had no friends to speak of while we were together, but she didn't have any problem making new ones the moment I broke up with her. It was a revelation.

The most important part of this is, as another lad has said, you don't feel like you can talk to her. I was the same. When I look back on it it was crazy, sometimes I felt genuinely afraid to show my true feelings in case it started an argument, and that's a big indicator something is wrong. The times I did talk to her, nothing changed. If you can't open up to a person, and if that person dismisses it when you do, it simply cannot last.

Obviously I am assuming a lot from an imageboard post but I feel like you could do with hearing this kind of perspective.
>> No. 28189 Anonymous
24th February 2019
Sunday 12:05 am
28189 spacer
>>28188

>you don't feel like you can talk to her. I was the same. When I look back on it it was crazy, sometimes I felt genuinely afraid to show my true feelings in case it started an argument, and that's a big indicator something is wrong.

That is definitely not good. And it is often something that didn't just happen because a relationship took a wrong turn somewhere, something that you can just go back to and undo, but it's been that way from the beginning. Because quite often, when you first meet somebody, you know instinctively that you need to play a certain role in order for that person to really find you attractive and go out with you. And a relationship then unfolds on the false premise that you are a kind of person that you really aren't.

whiteline

withnail-pics4jpg.jpg
213021302130
>> No. 2130 Anonymous
31st March 2010
Wednesday 11:01 am
/A/2130 Alcoholics
Are there any 'resting actors' out there?

I'm back up to about a litre of whisky a day again. :(
340 posts and 10 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 8257 Anonymous
28th January 2019
Monday 6:20 pm
8257 spacer
>>8256
>I'm going to try getting shitfaced tonight and hopefully get whatever shit is going on in my head out of my system.
I find it doesn't help do that at all, just puts it off until tomorrow night when you'll want to use it as an excuse to do the same thing again.
>> No. 8258 Anonymous
28th January 2019
Monday 6:20 pm
8258 spacer
>>8256
Well done. You need a hobby, something which eequires focus. You’ll be alright.
>> No. 8259 Anonymous
23rd February 2019
Saturday 12:00 am
8259 spacer
Today I woke up at 2pm, dawdled for as long as I could, and went to get booze around 6ish. My attempts to force myself to be sensible have backfired as I bought a "small" amount of booze which is about to run out. The last offy within walking distance closes/stops serving booze at midnight but I won't be rushing out, I'll be suffering through the alkie's worst nightmare, a waking hangover. Because I deliberately sat here and fucked around typing this post when I realised I might just about have enough time to still rush there.

If I hadn't done this I would have bought maybe 6 cans of stella, 6 cans of desperados, probably a bottle of WKD because they've been on special offer for ages and they offer a great deal of sentimental value to me, plus a little bottle of some kind of cleanish tasting vodka that I could nip at my bedside between lapsing in and out of consciousness between now and Sunday morning by which time I'd be back at the off-licence looking for more. This would have cost me a lot of money that I probably need for bills and stuff but would happily spend on booze anyway.

Cheers.
>> No. 8260 Anonymous
23rd February 2019
Saturday 12:58 am
8260 spacer
>>8259

12 cans between now and Sunday isn't much of a habit lad. Talk to your GP, get on naltrexone and get clean (if you want to). Naltrexone can take a habit down from 24 cans a day to 6 cans a day in under a week, even in a hardened alkie like me, you just need to want to stop. 6 cans is practically social drinking.
>> No. 8261 Anonymous
23rd February 2019
Saturday 1:58 pm
8261 spacer
>>8260
I drink cans on Champions league nights almost exclusively these days and feel anxious about if 4 will do me till the footy ends, which does make his habit seem small fry, but he could be a she or just be alcohol intolerant.

On the topic of quitting though, I don't know how I manage to keep it just to 4 once a week as I used to have a 6 a night weekday habit and a two bottle of bourbon weekend one, but I do (for now) and motivation to stop is definitely the key. I didn't get a prescription to help me quit, I never asked for help actually, I just weaned myself down over the course of two years. I get anxious if I don't have alcohol in the house, but don't drink it unless there is football on. I don't know how I conditioned that aversion, but it's powerful.

Sage for rambling.

whiteline

359px-EuskadiTaAskatasunaMural.jpg
181081810818108
>> No. 18108 Anonymous
17th February 2019
Sunday 2:03 pm
/news/18108 Clicking on terrorist propaganda even once could mean 15 years in prison
> Clicking on daft militant wog propaganda even once could mean 15 years in prison under new law

> Anyone who views daft militant wog propaganda once online can be jailed for up to 15 years under new laws that have sparked human rights concerns.

> MPs had urged the government to scrap plans to criminalise viewing “information useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism”, which goes further than much-used laws that made physically collecting, downloading or disseminating the material illegal.

> A United Nations inspector accused the government of straying towards “thought crime” with the proposal, which originally stated that people would have to access propaganda “on three or more different occasions” to commit a terror offence.

> But the benchmark was removed from the draft law, meaning a single click is now illegal.

> Journalists, academic researchers or people who had “no reason to believe” they were accessing daft militant wog propaganda are exempt.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/daft militant wog-propaganda-website-online-prison-sentence-uk-isis-a8776226.html

What is this bollocks?
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
46 posts and 4 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 18271 Anonymous
20th February 2019
Wednesday 1:10 am
18271 spacer
>>18270

Fair point - a lot of IoT stuff is complete dogshit in terms of security and maintainability.
>> No. 18272 Anonymous
20th February 2019
Wednesday 2:23 am
18272 spacer
>>18271
It's like they say, the "S" in IoT stands for "security".
>> No. 18283 Anonymous
21st February 2019
Thursday 12:47 pm
18283 spacer
>>18271
>>18272
I swear this seems to be general knowledge now and yet everybody is still buying all this crap.
>> No. 18284 Anonymous
21st February 2019
Thursday 5:19 pm
18284 spacer
>>18283

Because it's still convenient. My mum doesn't give a shit if the government listens to her, she's an old woman and just wants to be able to ask Alexa to play her music for her so she doesn't have to learn how Spotify works. Also in her words - "well they say my phone does the same thing don't they? What's the difference?" and she does sort of have a point, doesn't she? ECHELON is still a thing and even us paranoid nerds won't go as far as refusing to carry a GPS linked microphone in our pockets everywhere we go.
>> No. 18296 Anonymous
22nd February 2019
Friday 5:19 pm
18296 spacer
>>18245
Didn't someone get burnt once for ordering pressure cookers and something else?
All online purchases and cc transactions are most assuredly monitored by dozens of third parties anyway, for various reasons.

whiteline

Screenshot_20161027-134124.png
393639363936
>> No. 3936 Anonymous
27th October 2016
Thursday 1:45 pm
/fat/3936 Fat bastard weight loss thread
Get in here fatlads.

I've made an effort to properly lose weight but have stalled in the last 2 months - and it's starting to creep up. I used to lift weights 3x/week and control the diet, but I can't lift for a while until some medical stuff gets sorted. This has taken a bit of a hit on my progress - or more likely,ive used it an excuse to slack.

What's your story?

P.s. I track calories and weight using my fitness pal.
190 posts and 20 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 4757 Anonymous
9th February 2019
Saturday 11:21 am
4757 spacer
>>4756

I too have no real routine, the best thing I've found for sticking to a healthy diet is just basically any amount of exercise. Even 20 minutes of jogging or cycling or even walking every couple of days and I stay in that 'fitness' mindset and I'm far, far less likely to forget my MFP logging or want to eat an entire cake etc.
>> No. 4758 Anonymous
9th February 2019
Saturday 1:46 pm
4758 spacer
Does anyone here have any experience with weight loss surgery?
>> No. 4759 Anonymous
9th February 2019
Saturday 3:13 pm
4759 spacer
>>4758
I've cut it out entirely, mate, and the pounds are falling away.
>> No. 4760 Anonymous
21st February 2019
Thursday 9:07 pm
4760 spacer
>>4757
MFP that good? I've thought about it but my laziness gets in the way.
>> No. 4761 Anonymous
21st February 2019
Thursday 9:50 pm
4761 spacer
>>4760
I think it's really good - worth the 30 quid. I learned a lot about how many actual calories are in the meals I eat and once you get past the first couple of days and have figured out how to record what you eat, it's very easy to use.

whiteline

>> No. 2487 Anonymous
21st February 2019
Thursday 8:21 pm
/uhu/2487 Securing a UPVC window
I have a UPVC window in my house, one of those ones where the top panel opens from the bottom and it opens towards the outside rather than inside. There's something wrong with the handle meaning it won't turn, which means the window can't be locked shut. Although it's only a small window, it's still a possible route for intruders to get in, so I want to find some way of securing it. Had someone come out to take a look at it, and apparently the locking mechanism is fucked and can't be repaired without getting a totally new window, which the landlord isn't prepared to pay for.

I was wondering if there were any security things I could buy and install myself to stop it being opened from the outside? I've looked at window restrictors but they seem to be more useful as a child safety mechanism than an anti-intruder mechanism.
Expand all images.
>> No. 2489 Anonymous
21st February 2019
Thursday 8:26 pm
2489 spacer
>>2487
Here you go lad I think this will work.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/era-pvcu-locking-window-snaplock-white/9600t
>> No. 2490 Anonymous
21st February 2019
Thursday 8:33 pm
2490 spacer
>>2487
or one of these if you really don't give a fuck.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-locke-heavy-duty-hasp-staple-zinc-158mm/7353p
>> No. 2491 Anonymous
21st February 2019
Thursday 8:56 pm
2491 spacer
>>2489
That's perfect, thank you.

whiteline

>> No. 22292 Anonymous
17th February 2018
Saturday 11:27 pm
/e/22292 spacer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g-la83RpEc
Expand all images.
>> No. 22293 Anonymous
19th February 2018
Monday 7:21 pm
22293 spacer
Nope. Nope. As soon as I heard his voice, I stopped the video. Not watching that.
>> No. 22294 Anonymous
19th February 2018
Monday 7:40 pm
22294 spacer
>>22293

Good for you, it is badly delivered meandering tedious crap.
>> No. 22295 Anonymous
20th February 2018
Tuesday 2:16 pm
22295 spacer
I thought it was a very well made review of an existential masterpiece of a game.
>> No. 22296 Anonymous
20th February 2018
Tuesday 3:42 pm
22296 spacer
I've watched a lot of Kim Justice videos in the past and they've always been very good, not seen that one mind.
>> No. 22731 Anonymous
21st February 2019
Thursday 7:49 pm
22731 Dave Perry
I'll just leave this here:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i62K01nSla4

whiteline

[0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9]