[ rss / options / help ]
post ]
[ b / iq / g / zoo ] [ e / news / lab ] [ v / nom / pol / eco / emo / 101 / shed ]
[ art / A / beat / boo / com / fat / job / lit / map / mph / poof / £$€¥ / spo / uhu / uni / x / y ] [ * | sfw | o ]
logo
random

Return ] Entire Thread ] Last 50 posts ]

Posting mode: Reply
Reply ]
Subject   (reply to 423282)
Message
File  []
close
Funny-Happy-New-Year-GIF-4.gif
423282423282423282
>> No. 423282 Anonymous
31st December 2018
Monday 8:52 pm
423282 New Year New Thread
Happy New Year lads. You got anything going on? Any resolutions you want to share?

This year I'm doing my annual tradition of foregoing the parties to stay in being a complete manchild. Made dinner with the Aquabats blaring and later on I'm going to watch some anime. All while getting pissed and seeing if the phone I ordered is actually going to be delivered today like the UPS website suggests.

My resolution this year is to budget responsibly which I've already been making cracking progress on these past couple of months. I've set up a little tally with budgeted amounts a little in excess so each category builds a nest egg for months I overspend. Things are looking good so long as I keep it up.
Expand all images.
>> No. 423283 Anonymous
31st December 2018
Monday 10:05 pm
423283 spacer
>>423282
I'm watching Ninja play Fortnite live from Times Square POGGERS
>> No. 423284 Anonymous
31st December 2018
Monday 10:10 pm
423284 spacer
Most important NYE tradition sorted: the Chinese has been ordered.
>> No. 423292 Anonymous
1st January 2019
Tuesday 2:42 am
423292 spacer
>>423283
Are you really? Because if yout are... then welcome. Settle in, have a dram and see where it takes you.
>> No. 423293 Anonymous
1st January 2019
Tuesday 3:04 am
423293 spacer
I might try and read a book in 2019.
>> No. 423294 Anonymous
1st January 2019
Tuesday 7:21 am
423294 spacer

1546221530511.jpg
423294423294423294
>>423283
Listen to the utter despair in his voice in that clip as he realizes that nobody is doing the floss when he's trying to get millions of people to floss.
>> No. 423296 Anonymous
1st January 2019
Tuesday 11:56 am
423296 spacer

_20190101_115117.jpg
423296423296423296
I'm reading the new issue of Viz which I subscribed to because it was suggested here, judging by the adverts this is an old man magazine though so idk.
>> No. 423297 Anonymous
1st January 2019
Tuesday 12:48 pm
423297 spacer
>>423296

Since anyone can just buy Viagra now it might well be aimed at young horny weirdos like myself.

I always figured viz's market to be late twenties males.
>> No. 423299 Anonymous
1st January 2019
Tuesday 2:04 pm
423299 spacer
Never made any resolutions, not going to do it now.
I've had enough events in my life over the last two weeks and thusly spent the New Year Eve in complete solitude. Needed that recharge period quite desperately, I have to note.

Can't say anything good about the past year. At best, nothing turned to complete shit. Nor like anything improved noticeably.
>> No. 423300 Anonymous
1st January 2019
Tuesday 2:08 pm
423300 spacer
>>423296
Don't worry, you're not just old (although you might be old). Those ads are just fucking everywhere. They're in every Tube carriage.
>> No. 423302 Anonymous
1st January 2019
Tuesday 2:14 pm
423302 spacer
It would kind of be a worthwhile resolution to try to get rid of this constant low feeling in my life. The last couple of years, I have been in and out of midlife crisis, but the realisation is beginning to be that things just won't get better ever again. Life will be all downhill from here, and has been for some time.

I don't know where it will lead me, but at times when I wake up in the morning now, it's starting to be like, "Really, all this again?".
>> No. 423303 Anonymous
1st January 2019
Tuesday 2:17 pm
423303 spacer
>>423302
I've had that since I was about 19.
>> No. 423304 Anonymous
1st January 2019
Tuesday 3:00 pm
423304 spacer
>>423302
I wake up asking myself why did I wake up [again] almost each morning. It gets slightly better on week-ends and days off but it remains present in the background.
> It would kind of be a worthwhile
Perhaps not. I've yet to build a solid argument for it but all this happy-shmappy stuff feels contrived, like trying to outrun your own shadow or to reach the horizon.
>> No. 423305 Anonymous
1st January 2019
Tuesday 3:07 pm
423305 spacer
>>423296
>>423297
I seem to be out the loop on this. Are young people doing Viagra now? Is it one of those things where everyone is doing it so you need to pop some to keep up?

>>423299
>Never made any resolutions, not going to do it now.

Thanks for letting us know!
>> No. 423306 Anonymous
1st January 2019
Tuesday 3:15 pm
423306 spacer
>>423305
Thanks for reacting.
>> No. 423307 Anonymous
1st January 2019
Tuesday 3:28 pm
423307 spacer
>>423306
We've almost got a successful YouTube channel on our hands.
>> No. 423308 Anonymous
1st January 2019
Tuesday 3:47 pm
423308 spacer
>>423307
So technically, is this the first cunt-off of the year?
>> No. 423309 Anonymous
1st January 2019
Tuesday 5:17 pm
423309 spacer
>>423305

>I seem to be out the loop on this. Are young people doing Viagra now?

Viagra is certainly used by people who don't particularly need it so they can shag all night long, I've known lads who've done it to do the rounds in a red light district in the 'Dam, or just to have a few extra rounds with the missus/tinder date.

It's also incredibly useful for when you're coked up, or on speed, or MDMA, or drunk, as all of those substances can interfere with your erection even in the sprightliest young men. I don't know if I'd recommend any of that, just seems like a shortcut to a heart attack, but plenty do recreational viagra.
>> No. 423310 Anonymous
1st January 2019
Tuesday 7:39 pm
423310 spacer
>>423309

Viagra and coke is the most dangerous cocktail since Molotov.
>> No. 423311 Anonymous
1st January 2019
Tuesday 8:09 pm
423311 spacer
>>423310

I can imagine. I don't think I've actually ever known someone who's done that, it's usually with speed or MDMA instead.

I went to the gym a couple of times coked up when I was younger and didn't realise how fucking terrible an idea that was.
>> No. 423312 Anonymous
1st January 2019
Tuesday 11:54 pm
423312 spacer
>>423310
This is old news. The Daily Mail reported on it in 2014.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2558502/The-rise-Viagra-abuse-Doctors-warn-against-worrying-sextacy-trend-ecstasy-mixed-drug-enhance-euphoria.html
>> No. 423313 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 3:33 pm
423313 spacer
Has anyone used Uber Eats on any occasion?
It tells you who's delivering your stuff and what their mode of transport is. I'm not sure why, I don't really care provided they don't fuck up. I'm just puzzled as all the accounts show blonde women with Eastern European names on bicycles but all the drivers are very clearly Middle Eastern/Indianish* men on mopeds. Some sort of precaution against moped thieves?


*I'm not being racist they wear helmets it's hard to tell.
>> No. 423314 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 3:49 pm
423314 spacer
>>423313
Round here bicycle means they turn up in a car.
No blonde eastern european women though.
>> No. 423316 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 3:52 pm
423316 spacer
>>423313
My guess is that it's likely people without the right to work in the UK who recruited stooges to complete the onboarding for them.
>> No. 423317 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 4:27 pm
423317 spacer
>>423313

Round here the picture is always of the actual person who shows up. The reason they do it is basically because the system is already there for the normal Uber app, so you don't accidentally get into the wrong rapists Skoda.

I can't understand why they'd be using someone else's likeness or false information unless something very dodgy is going on. You should probably snitch to uber if you're into that sort of thing.
>> No. 423318 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 4:36 pm
423318 spacer
>>423317
You might as well vote BNP after reporting right-to-work fraud.
>> No. 423319 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 4:39 pm
423319 spacer
>>423318

Not really, it's so fucking easy to get your papers here that I don't really see why someone wouldn't unless they were extra dodgy. I've worked with more foreigners than Englishmen so I know the craic.
>> No. 423320 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 4:47 pm
423320 spacer
>>423319
Calm down, Theresa.
>> No. 423321 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 4:57 pm
423321 spacer
>>423319
So you've concluded that all illegal immigrants can gain papers by surveying only those who have gained papers. Do you work for YouGov?
>> No. 423322 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 5:54 pm
423322 spacer
>>423321

You don't think I might have gained some insight into the processes and requirements this way? I'm sure your point sounded clever in your head but I'm not sure of a better way to know how something works than to have talked about how it works with countless folks who have done it. Knowing the sorts of people who make the cut also means I know just how low the bar is set.
>> No. 423323 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 6:25 pm
423323 spacer
>>423317
>I can't understand why they'd be using someone else's likeness or false information unless something very dodgy is going on.

I'm trying to get my head around exactly what. It seems a bit daft to list a bicycle when you can claim business expenses with HMRC- the Polish lasses are probably enslaved somewhere anyway so you could just as well list the vehicle in their name.

I reckon it would be an idea to report it. If nothing else then because Uber might tell us what this is usually about and it would make >>423318 have a teary.
>> No. 423324 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 6:36 pm
423324 spacer
>>423323
Point is someone is doing an honest but shitty day's work for no money, delivering food to your lazy arse, and you want to disrupt that without knowing the first thing about why they might have a dodgy profile. Try asking them and see what they say.

It strikes me as you're attacking people at the bottom of society to preserve this middle class notion we have that our country is less corrupt than the average, where rules are followed and everything is in order, when most corporations are rotten to the core anyway. It's fucking Uber.
>> No. 423325 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 6:43 pm
423325 spacer
>>423324

The answer is probably something to do with human trafficking mate. If you want to turn a blind eye to that because you don't want to tread on the lower classes then fine.
>> No. 423326 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 6:52 pm
423326 spacer
>>423323

The Eastern European lasses have the legal right to live and work in the UK; the Indian-looking blokes don't. If you don't have a residency permit or a work permit, you'd be pretty fucking daft to put your real name, address and photo in an easily searchable database. You're practically inviting Border Force to come and deport you. Is it just me, or is that the shittest imaginable name for a government department? It sounds like a range of knock-off action figures from the pound shop.

Fair play to the lads, I wouldn't have the nerve.
>> No. 423327 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 6:54 pm
423327 spacer
>>423325
Even if that were true, what do you think is the likelihood of doing any good at all by reporting it? And to whom? Uber? It seems to me if you're right, no resolution will be achieved, and if you're wrong you might damage someone's semi-legitimate life for no reason.
>> No. 423328 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 6:59 pm
423328 spacer
I don't know if I believe they're doing something unethical or not. Even if I thought they were, I wouldn't report them because I sincerely doubt Uber give a fuck.

I was just relieved they weren't on a bike because then the food would be cold by the time they got here.
>> No. 423329 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 7:02 pm
423329 spacer
Besides, if I have to answer the door in my working-from-home outfit then I'd prefer it was some scuzzy bloke with a dirty tache than a cute blonde.
>> No. 423330 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 7:05 pm
423330 spacer
Started my new year in the dark in a flooded kitchen, with water pouring through the ceiling as some wrong'un had taken an absolute monster shit at my party, blocked the toilet, manically tried to flush it and broke the flush, leading the toilet to overflow and flood the bathroom for several hours, eventually pouring through the light fixture of the room below and fucking the power.

That was eventful.
>> No. 423331 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 7:12 pm
423331 spacer
>>423324
>Point is someone is doing an honest but shitty day's work

By definition they aren't doing an honest days work. At the very least there is identity theft and illegal immigration going on.

>>423326
Nah, I mean you put the lasses names on the vehicle to claim back on the fuel. You'd be bit fucked if you get pulled over by the police but if you're here illegally that's a given.
>> No. 423332 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 7:22 pm
423332 spacer
>>423331
By your definition.
>> No. 423333 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 7:28 pm
423333 spacer
>>423332

Whose definition of 'honest' includes lying to your employer about who you are to enable you to work in a country illegally?
>> No. 423334 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 7:28 pm
423334 spacer
>All while getting pissed and seeing if the phone I ordered is actually going to be delivered today like the UPS website suggests.

It's still sitting at the fucking depot and I ordered it on the 27th. This would never have happened if we had more Polish bicycles like the good ol' days.

>>423328
Don't be a fanny all your life. I want you to find out from uber what's going on so this can get some closure.
>> No. 423335 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 7:41 pm
423335 spacer
>>423333
By definition they're not employees of an employer.
>> No. 423336 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 7:52 pm
423336 spacer
>>423335

How does that change the definition of honesty, goalpostlad?
>> No. 423338 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 8:08 pm
423338 spacer
>>423335
Actually they are regarded as employees although Uber is now taking this to the Supreme Court:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46617584
>> No. 423342 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 8:31 pm
423342 spacer
>>423338
1) A worker is distinct from an employee and enjoys less rights than an employee
2) They are yet to be treated as workers precisely because it's under appeal
>> No. 423343 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 9:00 pm
423343 spacer
>>423338

Uber has a remarkable model for spreading its business around the globe.

Most companies, before they decide to enter a foreign market, will spend a lot of money and resources on market research to familiarise themselves with the new target country's legal frameworks as well as other market determinants. Entire branches of marketing/management science then deal with the question of what is the best way to enter that market and establish your company and your brand in it. Specifically, among other things, to ensure that your product is legally airtight in the new target market, or that adverse legal repercussions, if they present themselves, will be minimal.

Well, what Uber has been doing differently around the world is that due to the novelty still of the whole idea of getting a random person to give you a lift at the touch of a smartphone app, most countries have few legal frameworks to govern that exact kind of business model. So Uber tends to operate under the assumption that if it isn't positively illegal, it's perfectly legal. And courts and lawmakers are just now growing wise to Uber's business strategies and are now pretty much attempting to work out the legal implications after the fact.

So Uber's approach is pretty much to hope they'll get away with most of their tactics due to the novelty of the whole business model, and attempt to persuade courts and lawmakers to look the other way in a particular country.

Not always successfully. Germany, for example, has outright banned Uber because unlike most other European countries including the UK, it has very strict rules (which long preceded Uber's arrival in Germany) on who can, and who can't chauffeur another person around in exchange for money. Pretty much the only kind of people who are allowed to do so are certified cab drivers who have passed a written exam and who have a valid taxi driver's licence. And courts have already upheld those laws against Uber's attempts to win the German market. So that effectively, Uber itself is almost entirely illegal in Germany at the moment, and it has suspended most of its operations there for the time being.
>> No. 423344 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 9:06 pm
423344 spacer
Last year I started lifting weights which went very well. I'm going to keep that going and get my squat to at least 100kg this year.

With money and like OP, I have been budgeting very well in the last six months. The plan is to keep a healthy emergency fund and add to a S&S ISA when able. For work, I'm currently in a field that I'm not really interested in. While it's good, steady income (which is what I need at the moment) it's a bit of a nightmare making it through a full day- ideally I'll find something better by summer. Alternatively, might see if I can setup some sort of copywriting/editing service on the side.

For housing, I'm looking for a new room that's a bit closer to work, the gym, and the supermarket. Currently losing a lot of time due to endless bus rides (and it's probably making work feel more a chore than it actually is)

And lastly, I'll keep up my writing and painting, as well as actually making an effort to get out and about more. My social circle is quite small at the moment and I find it a bit hard.
>> No. 423346 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 9:22 pm
423346 spacer
>>423343
Uber faced down cease and desists from state government before it was even called Uber.

https://soundcloud.com/the-dollop/271-uber
>> No. 423348 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 9:29 pm
423348 spacer

UberReqs.png
423348423348423348
>>423334
They're not going to tell me anything just because I reported it. I'll just get an automated "Thanks for getting in touch" and that's it.

Looking at https://www.uber.com/en-GB/drive/delivery/ they probably just don't have a driver's license or the right insurance. Maybe there's something to the whole human trafficking theory but more easily they might just be paying random 18+ girls who have British ID to sign up for them.
>> No. 423352 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 11:41 pm
423352 spacer
>>423344
>For housing, I'm looking for a new room that's a bit closer to work, the gym, and the supermarket. Currently losing a lot of time due to endless bus rides (and it's probably making work feel more a chore than it actually is)

Where bouts? It sounds like the recipe for an endless cunt-off but I'm paying way too much in rent for my place. Failing that, having done a bullshit job with a long commute in the past I found reading helps and can make you genuinely look forward to the journey.

>>423348
Call it a stupid question but I assume by drivers licence they actually mean a Scooter/Motorbike license on this?
>> No. 423353 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 11:47 pm
423353 spacer
>>423282
I want to learn to 3D Model this year, but I think I was telling myself the same this time last year.
Perhaps Blender 2.8's new user interface will make it less of a pipe-dream.
>> No. 423354 Anonymous
2nd January 2019
Wednesday 11:58 pm
423354 spacer
>>423352

>Call it a stupid question but I assume by drivers licence they actually mean a Scooter/Motorbike license on this?

That's very likely what they mean, yeah.

As an aside I looked into this sort of thing (self-employed delivery drivers) for another business and from what I can tell the 'delivery insurance' can really cut your pay right down to nothing, particularly if your car isn't the most fuel efficient. I'm not sure how so many lads seem to make a living on it, I have to assume they're not properly insured and are running their cars on red diesel or summat.
>> No. 423355 Anonymous
3rd January 2019
Thursday 12:00 am
423355 spacer
I think I'm going to try and not buy any drugs this year. I'm getting a bit too old for that sort of thing.
>> No. 423356 Anonymous
3rd January 2019
Thursday 12:20 am
423356 spacer
>>423354
That's probably what it is then.
>> No. 423357 Anonymous
3rd January 2019
Thursday 12:22 am
423357 spacer
>>423355
I've thought and wondered the same. I think all three of us are getting on a bit.
>> No. 423359 Anonymous
3rd January 2019
Thursday 1:27 am
423359 spacer
>>423356

That still doesn't make much sense as you'd still have to pay for the polish bird's insurance, and even if you fake your documents for uber the police can still do you for not being properly insured (though I suspect they rarely do, if you were already running around as an illegal you'd probably not want the risk)
>> No. 423360 Anonymous
3rd January 2019
Thursday 1:36 am
423360 spacer
>>423357

I know it's not much to some of you lads but I'm 30 this year. I don't feel like I'm falling apart yet, other than having to shave my bonce because of the creeping bald patch.

I was fat for a fair bit of my twenties, so I feel like physically I'm doing the reverse of most of my mates. They were all buff as fuck for the last decade and are rapidly giving up and letting the beer belly settle in, I'm ramping the fitness up to make up for the fat cunt years. My missus's knees and back make all sorts of creaks and clicks that I don't seem to have adopted yet, much to her disappointment.

Nonetheless, a comedown still feels like I'm literally, actually dying now, when it used to just feel like a vague representation of dying.
>> No. 423362 Anonymous
3rd January 2019
Thursday 5:18 am
423362 spacer
>>423359
They don't need insurance if they're just on a bicycle though is the point.
>> No. 423366 Anonymous
3rd January 2019
Thursday 1:43 pm
423366 spacer
>>423360

One of the personal trainers at my gym told me once that from about age 25, there is a growing divide between people on the one hand who keep fit and keep doing regular exercise and sport, and those that don't, and just begin to fall more and more into the usual adult routine of long-hour desk jobs and late-night takeaways.

I'm in my 40s, so at my age you really see the effects of either 15 and more years of doing nothing anymore or indeed staying fit. One of my old friends was a triathlete in his younger years and took up cycling in his 20s, even competed in bicycle racing for a while, and now still does around 30 miles a week through parks and wilderness on his cross country bike around where he lives. He continues to be very health conscious, and as a result, if you disregard his thin greying hair and the odd slight wrinkle, he is lean and ripped and has the body of a 30-year-old.

Whereas the lad at the local service station here, who is in his early 30s at the most, is becoming more massive with every year that passes. He's worked there off and on a good eight to ten years as far as I am aware, and as a younglad back then he was really of relatively normal size and build. But now, he looks 20 stone and gets out of breath even walking over to the bistro area and making me a coffee. And I've spotted him on various occasions smoking fags on his break behind the building. He looks like a perfect picture of the kind of person who won't live to age 50 if he goes on like that.

So it's a very good idea to stay fit, and even if at age 30 you are just now starting to live healthy (again), then that means you'll still have plenty of good years ahead of you.
>> No. 423397 Anonymous
6th January 2019
Sunday 11:16 am
423397 spacer
>>423360
I'm nearing 30 as well and the creeping feeling for me is that I'm becoming too old for anything.
Besides, a few events from two years ago had thrown me into the deep lake of apathy and it's been a pain since. About the only thing I do regularly is exercising.
It's slightly ironic because I hated PT at school.
>> No. 423453 Anonymous
8th January 2019
Tuesday 12:54 pm
423453 spacer
>>423397

>I'm nearing 30 as well and the creeping feeling for me is that I'm becoming too old for anything.

30 is the new 18, don't you know.

Especially if you're in good physical shape, as you appear to be, then there's loads you can still do with your life at 30, or not even quite 30, as you say you're only now nearing age 30.

Get out of your funk and do something with your life now. Because there will be a time when such considerations really will be a tad bit late.
>> No. 423461 Anonymous
8th January 2019
Tuesday 4:26 pm
423461 spacer
>>423366

One thing I do like about the muscle Mary bodybuilding crowd is that building appreciable size takes so long that you have to see it all as a long-term change. Probably the best decision I made in my life from a health standpoint was tagging along with my older brothers, first to our shabby home gym then into the weightlifting room.
>> No. 423499 Anonymous
10th January 2019
Thursday 4:43 pm
423499 spacer
>>423453
Is it?
I hear you but I just feel strange, like I'm still 20-22 but the implied number in the passport suggests otherwise.
It's about time when death becomes something tangible, not too far from now. It sounds like it should motivate one into doing but it turned out it can demotivate just as well.

My grand-dad would have rightly told me to get off his lawn for this rant though. But he was a different kind of man, also lots more measures of a man than I am.
>> No. 423524 Anonymous
12th January 2019
Saturday 1:21 pm
423524 spacer

qax4h.jpg
423524423524423524
>>423499

>I hear you but I just feel strange, like I'm still 20-22 but the implied number in the passport suggests otherwise.

I'm 44. That's right, I am forty fucking four. How do you think I feel? Personally I'd say not a day older than 30, but then it hits me again that 30 was 14 years ago for me. If you knew me personally you'd probably say I don't look, or act 44, and not in an infantile but a jovial way, and that I am pretty good with young people. But it's no use, I am as old as I am, and so I alternate between looking at myself in the mirror in the morning saying to myself, "How the fuck did you allow yourself to get this old?", and manning up and accepting it and telling myself that age isn't a stigma, but that I have earned every single candle on my imaginary birthday cake. But that at the same time, nobody has a right to tell me how I should behave at 44.

>My grand-dad would have rightly told me to get off his lawn for this rant though.

Your granddad was likely the generation that had to seek shelter from V2 rockets as a child. There's no telling somebody like that that you are going through some sort of identity crisis because you're essentially Edward Norton in Fight Club.
>> No. 423527 Anonymous
12th January 2019
Saturday 2:36 pm
423527 spacer
>>423524 I'm forty-fucking-seven. Fuckety-fuck. Feel fine, in better nick than I have been since 25, but I've just had the sobering thought that the new job I'm about to take is probably my last. That's just weird.
>> No. 423541 Anonymous
13th January 2019
Sunday 2:31 pm
423541 spacer
>>423524
> How do you think I feel?
You tell me ladm8.
> then it hits me again that 30 was 14 years ago for me.
I feel exactly this way when I want to say that 2006 wasn't that long time ago and then I realise that it was 13 bloody years ago.
That thing about regretting things you didn't do over thing you did has also become noticeable. Thankfully I was informed about it at a rather tender age and managed to dodge a few bullets there but still.
> Your granddad was likely the generation that had to seek shelter from V2 rockets as a child.
True. But again, being more measure of a man prolly applies notwithstanding the war horrors.
>> No. 423543 Anonymous
13th January 2019
Sunday 5:14 pm
423543 spacer
I'd say something about how you were allowed to be a man back then, but it will only cause a shitstorm. How do we as modern gentlemen reconcile our apparently redundant place in the world with actually having some self esteem, rather than drinking heavily and playing games about the conflicts our grandfathers fought in, telling ourselves "that's just how society is now, it's not your fault", then buying a motorbike and spending more time working on it in the shed than riding it...

I'm younger than you chaps but I think I've been made to feel older than I really am (I'm a literal millennial, and peers of my age group have said something similar) because of the stark contrast between generations. I still remember the time before everything was internet and social media, most ofmy formative years were spent there. But I'm expected to be young enough to know how to keep up with snapchat and instagram and all that nonsense. I never even liked facebook. What was wrong with phoning up your mates and asking if they fancied a drink.

I've no idea what I'm on about anyway. I've already done some things this year that vaguely count as productive. It's not too late to get some little weights and start doing a bit of exercise is it? I've been a skinny bastard all my life but I'm starting to get a beer belly and it's actually bothering me quite a bit.
>> No. 423544 Anonymous
13th January 2019
Sunday 5:38 pm
423544 spacer
>>423543

Be a gentleman, not a man. Be the kind of dad/brother/uncle/neighbour/friend/mentor that you wish you had. Pop in on your elderly neighbours to see if they need any little jobs doing. Volunteer at a community group. Join a sports club. Go to church. Organise an outing. Take evening classes and learn a trade. Phone up your mates and ask them if they fancy a drink. Phone up your nan for a chat. Start a five-a-side team.

A lot of the "men aren't allowed to be men" mob want all of the power with none of the responsibility. They want women to fawn over them, but they don't want to put in the effort to be a good provider. They want to be respected by their community, but they don't want to do anything to earn that respect. They want the kudos of being a practical man, but they aren't willing to get off their arse and learn how to do things.

It's easier to grow a beard and wear a checked shirt than to learn carpentry. It's easier to guzzle creatine and whey and spend hours in an air-conditioned gym than it is to get calloused hands from hard work. It's easier to moan about the throwaway society than to learn how to mend your own appliances. The modern affectations of masculinity feel hollow because they are hollow. The satisfaction of being useful has to be earned.
>> No. 423548 Anonymous
13th January 2019
Sunday 7:49 pm
423548 spacer
>>423544
Solid. Not sure about the carpentry or hard graft, but I like the other stuff.
>> No. 423549 Anonymous
13th January 2019
Sunday 7:55 pm
423549 spacer
>>423544
>"men aren't allowed to be men"
The fuck does this even mean though? It's just antiquated rubbish. There is no rulebook on 'how to be a man' in the 21st Century. There is a rulebook on how to be a decent and interesting human being, which I think you've kind of outlined, and it applies to all genders equally.
>> No. 423550 Anonymous
13th January 2019
Sunday 8:37 pm
423550 spacer
>>423549

You've sort of illustrated the point though. Playing devil's advocate here, I don't really buy into the idea that you should "be" anything, but the argument is that most of those typical masculine ideals are, in modern world, looked down on as negative traits. Being a provider is patronising and controlling, playing sports is condescendingly old-fashioned macho, being confident and assertive is mansplaining etc.

Personally I don't buy into it but I think there's something to be said for the malaise a lot of young lads feel. Nowadays nobody teaches them the gist of >>423544 because we're all about empowering young women, we've forgotten about the lads and assumed they know how to do things automatically; that's why all those cancerous alt-right and related groups have sprung up on the internet. In the old days it was pretty easy for a man to know how to be decent and respectful person, and by extension Be A Man. Nowadays there are a lot of competing ideals and marketing forces pushing young blokes in a lot of confusing directions.
>> No. 423551 Anonymous
13th January 2019
Sunday 9:05 pm
423551 spacer
>>423550

Exactly this. We encourage just about everyone else in society to 'be who they are', to follow the path of whoever they identify themselves as, but it does increasingly feel like if the thing you identify yourself as is a man who likes stereotypically 'manly' things you're seen as either limiting yourself or being a sad, antiquated example of the evils of gender roles.

I've been eyerolled and accused of 'trying too hard' for mentioning that I like straight scotch - I wasn't bragging or anything, this was a discussion about liquor. Having said that, I'm not sure that one individuals comments represent society at large, it just so happens that this sort of person is the most vocal and is given a prominent platform.
>> No. 423552 Anonymous
13th January 2019
Sunday 9:43 pm
423552 spacer
>>423550
>>423551
>Nowadays nobody teaches them the gist of >>423544 because we're all about empowering young women, we've forgotten about the lads and assumed they know how to do things automatically; that's why all those cancerous alt-right and related groups have sprung up
Can you lads start a youtube channel or something because if you can continue to put that same message across while giving useful advice it'd probably solve a lot of contemporary problems.
>> No. 423553 Anonymous
13th January 2019
Sunday 9:46 pm
423553 spacer
>>423551
>for mentioning that I like straight scotch

What do you mean by mentioning? If someone asked what you wanted to drink and then berated your choice that's one thing but otherwise....
>> No. 423555 Anonymous
13th January 2019
Sunday 9:54 pm
423555 spacer
>>423553

Like I said, it was in a discussion about liquor, and what people liked to drink. Now that I think about it I didn't even say 'scotch', just whisky.

When would it be a bad thing to say, though? Apropos of nothing it would just be odd, and maybe if I introduced myself like "Hi, I'm anon, I like young women and old scotch" or something I'd definitely be a cunt.
>> No. 423556 Anonymous
13th January 2019
Sunday 10:54 pm
423556 spacer
>>423552
I don't think that's what we need, plus Jordan Peterson seems to have that particular niche cornered.

What we need is better male role models.
>> No. 423558 Anonymous
13th January 2019
Sunday 11:56 pm
423558 spacer
>>423548

Honestly, try it. Making stuff is great for your mental health. Most of us have weird modern jobs where nothing ever really gets done, we just constantly chip away at an endless inbox of slightly pointless tasks. The economy evidently finds it to be profitable, but it's hard to feel genuinely useful when you just sit in meetings and fiddle about on a computer all day.

Spending some part of your free time doing something practical is very grounding. It reminds you that you actually have some modicum of control over the world around you. Any craft-based hobby is good, but I think (particularly for men) there's an advantage to doing something with a functionally useful outcome. There are lots of skills you could choose to learn, it just so happens that woodwork is the easiest to get into. With a surprisingly modest investment of time and money, you can make something that improves your life in some small way. You can make something that will last, something that your grandkids might want to keep when you're gone.

It might seem ludicrously trivial, but stirring your pasta sauce with a wooden spoon that you carved from an apple tree branch from your garden is a powerful feeling. We're surrounded by stuff that just appeared in a box from China as if by magic, but that spoon is real. It exists in the world because of your efforts. You can look out of the window and see the tree that it came from, you remember the smell of the shavings, you've still got a little mark on your thumb from where the knife slipped. You can't buy that.

When you start gaining the skills and confidence to make and fix your own stuff, you feel a bit less adrift in the world, a bit less like a cog in an incomprehensible capitalist machine. You look at things that you use every day and think "I could make one of those". You secretly look forward to things breaking, because then you've got an excuse to get the tools out. You gain the sense that if the apocalypse did come, you might be a useful survivor. In the best possible sense of the word, that's a very manly feeling.

>>423556

Seconded. I don't know enough about sociology to hazard a guess at the reasons, but there seems to have been a precipitous decline in the quality of dads over the last couple of generations. Half my mates didn't know their dads growing up and most of the rest had obviously crap dads.
>> No. 423560 Anonymous
14th January 2019
Monday 1:04 am
423560 spacer
>>423558

Your way of putting that really hits home to me. That's exactly what it's like.

I don't know what to think about the father figure thing, though. My dad was fully absent for my formative years, and though I had a good solid grandad, he wasn't particularly a guiding influence and didn't really teach me to Be A Man either. I taught myself Man Things despite, or possibly in spite of, my missing male role models. I got into cars because I liked them, not because I got shown them by any other bloke, I started taking electronic stuff apart to see how it worked because I wanted to know, not because my dad suggested it, and I learned to build stuff out of wood because I needed something built out of wood and realised I could find out how to do that myself. Same with camping, fishing, bushcraft, all the other shite I do.

I think the internet helped a lot with that. I can't imagine someone born much earlier than me ('89) realising they can just find out how to hunt and skin a rabbit on YouTube if they want, but that's the reality of today's youth.

Maybe I'm being naive and I just happen to be more of a self starter than the average young lad, but I'm not so sure I'd give myself that credit.

I know a lot of lads from eastern Europe who do all the things I've listed as a matter of course, just because that's what they do. Perhaps they all had great father figures who taught them too, I don't know, but they see it differently there. For everyone in my office over here that calls me Bear Grylls or Ron Swanson for knowing how to put up a tent or fix a hole in plasterboard, there's a dozen Romanians who tell me they were astonished that these are niche skills over here.
>> No. 423561 Anonymous
14th January 2019
Monday 2:09 am
423561 spacer

lennycarlchillispoon.png
423561423561423561
>>423558
>They say he carved it himself... from a bigger spoon...
>> No. 423562 Anonymous
14th January 2019
Monday 2:43 am
423562 spacer
>>423560
You learned to hunt from watching youtube?
>> No. 423564 Anonymous
14th January 2019
Monday 3:15 am
423564 spacer
>>423562

Personally I only learned how to make snares and trap small animals, because I live in England and have no particular desire or need to hunt bigger game, but there's absolutely YouTube videos on how to track and hunt, and lots and lots of pre youtube texts, too. It shouldn't be so surprising that you can find out how to do pretty much anything online, there's always some weirdo/hobbyist who wants to share their knowledge.
>> No. 423565 Anonymous
14th January 2019
Monday 7:08 am
423565 spacer
>>423560
>I can't imagine someone born much earlier than me ('89) realising they can just find out how to hunt and skin a rabbit on YouTube if they want, but that's the reality of today's youth.


They teach that in the Scouts. A lot of it depends on the leaders, but if you live in a rough area then it's more likely they'll teach you things like rifle shooting and skinning rabbits to make themselves appeal to the kids.
>> No. 423566 Anonymous
14th January 2019
Monday 11:05 am
423566 spacer
>>423565

YouTube didn't touch me in my no-no place.
>> No. 423610 Anonymous
16th January 2019
Wednesday 12:13 pm
423610 spacer
>>423565
True. I got taught to gut a rabbit in cubs.

I've never used the skill irl but I always wink at rabbits just so they know that if they try something on me they're getting skinned.
>> No. 423611 Anonymous
16th January 2019
Wednesday 12:20 pm
423611 spacer
>>423610
Did they teach you how to catch them though? You can hardly expect to skin them if you can't catch them.
>> No. 423612 Anonymous
16th January 2019
Wednesday 12:47 pm
423612 spacer
>>423611

Not him but they never taught me anything remotely useful in cubs. I got hit by a firework the leader bloke set up wrong and got a cool scar on my arm, though.

Never bothered with scouts but I think they taught how to trap.

It's not hard to catch a rabbit, mind. You can basically shout at one until it dies of shock.
>> No. 423613 Anonymous
16th January 2019
Wednesday 12:52 pm
423613 spacer
>>423612
It depends entirely on the group; there's a lot of pot luck. My son went to Scouts last night and he did ironing, cooking and washing up. Then again, they have done things like potholing, rock climbing and steering a narrow boat so it's swings and roundabouts.
>> No. 423632 Anonymous
17th January 2019
Thursday 11:15 am
423632 spacer
>>423611
No, original poster here.
One of the leaders turned up with a dead rabbit. Don't know how he got it. The only thing that I actually learned from the shouting movement was how to masturbate and put up a tent.
>> No. 423637 Anonymous
17th January 2019
Thursday 12:21 pm
423637 spacer
>>423543
I don't really have problems with reconciling my or whoever else's place in the world. More so if it's war, of which my granddad told never to glorify one unless there's profit to be made.
I just feel inadequate, incompetent and infantile, and probably am.
Possibly lack of self-love and low levels of self-respect and that I was never taught about these things.

Return ] Entire Thread ] Last 50 posts ]
whiteline

Delete Post []
Password