[ rss / options / help ]
post ]
[ b / iq / g / zoo ] [ e / news / lab ] [ v / nom / pol / eco / emo / 101 / shed ]
[ art / A / beat / boo / com / fat / job / lit / map / mph / poof / £$€¥ / spo / uhu / uni / x / y ] [ * | sfw | o ]
logo
random

Return ]

Posting mode: Reply
Reply ]
Subject   (reply to 428279)
Message
File  []
close
Stamp_album_sleeve.jpg
428279428279428279
>> No. 428279 Anonymous
1st July 2019
Monday 3:00 pm
428279 spacer
Has anyone else noticed public social events and groups have begun attaching non-sequentially political stances to themselves lately or is it just the weird circles I move in?

Things like and I'm not making any of these up:

non trans excusionary dance group
fisherperson rave
kink board gaming
Non-binary collectable card game meet up.

Maybe I'm cynical because I assume, you don't need to say you don't drown puppies, for people to assume you don't drown puppies. And because I once attended a left wing comedy night where we were given a speech before hand about how to react to the performers and not show any discord that taints my view of anything like this.
Expand all images.
>> No. 428282 Anonymous
1st July 2019
Monday 3:48 pm
428282 spacer
People still don't always feel safe or comfortable or included in general society, so advertising a social even that specifically mentions that you're included is probably very encouraging.

Fisherperson rave is obvious too, a place to go dance or whatever with like minded people and not get felt up by lairy blokes.

Kink board gaming is pretty obvious too - meet BDSM people to fuck while playing monopoly.

To summarise, get woke mate. Not every event has to be for you, some people need the reassurance and guarantee of how they'll be treated in a group setting, and none of the things you've listed are political, aside from possibly fisherpeople.
>> No. 428283 Anonymous
1st July 2019
Monday 4:09 pm
428283 spacer
While some of theese are a bit silly sounding and I dislike aspects of the plethora of safe space policies and trigger warnings that have invaded life recently, I generally agree with >>428282

Large groups of boring lads drinking and talking about football and shagging birds can be very intimidating, maybe without having the understanding that they are intimidating. I'm a pretty much het fella who actually likes shagging birds and drinking and if I can see and get to that I don't know why anyone else would have to pull the old political correctness gone mad card unless they are basically a cunt or intimidated themselves by people who have different views of the world.
>> No. 428286 Anonymous
1st July 2019
Monday 4:29 pm
428286 spacer

no homers.jpg
428286428286428286
>>428282

>To summarise, get woke mate. Not every event has to be for you,

You are quite mistaken I could blend into many of these groups and have been asked to, but I find it fucking boring, and internalizing labels sickens me, because it reduces people to these labels. Maybe you are happy being 'the gay friend' or describing someone that way but I'm not.

One of the issues I have seen these groups appear when there has been no called for it (the collectible card game for example I don't recall anyone non-binary being excuded from the local group) , or where they seem to out number the normal groups.

>some people need the reassurance and guarantee of how they'll be treated in a group setting,

And I'd say that is probably the root of the problem here. I don't approve of self segregation. I don't think it is healthy for them or society. And I think it is a pretty low self esteem to feel threaterened in your self identiy.

>and none of the things you've listed are political, aside from possibly fisherpeople.


If you don't think those are political keywords then you don't pay much attention to the world around you.

>Kink board gaming is pretty obvious too - meet BDSM people to fuck while playing monopoly.

I hate to disappoint you, but no it wasn't even close to that interesting or sexual. It is just a way to be exclusive.
>> No. 428287 Anonymous
1st July 2019
Monday 4:39 pm
428287 spacer
>>428286
> I think it is a pretty low self esteem to feel threaterened in your self identiy.

Large groups of boring drunk heterosexuals talking about football or Love Island are de facto threatening to people with minority interests.
>> No. 428288 Anonymous
1st July 2019
Monday 4:42 pm
428288 spacer
Three posts in and we're already at the breaking down posts into several quotes and making lengthy replies stage. Wahey.

>>428282
>Fisherperson rave is obvious too, a place to go dance or whatever with like minded people and not get felt up by lairy blokes.

Some of the men I know with the worst attitudes to women pretend to be fisherpersons to try and get in their knickers.
>> No. 428289 Anonymous
1st July 2019
Monday 4:44 pm
428289 spacer
>>428287

There is a whole lot of middle ground in society full of normal people who aren't the rugby club and out number them significantly. Your idea that that is the only other option is disingenuous.
>> No. 428290 Anonymous
1st July 2019
Monday 4:46 pm
428290 spacer
>>428288
Excellent point, example of case being disgraced 'woke' 'fisherperson' indie musician fella from the band Hookworms who it turned out was pretty rapey behind the rhetoric.
>> No. 428291 Anonymous
1st July 2019
Monday 4:46 pm
428291 spacer
>>428286
You say it "reduces people to labels" but I don't see why that's inherently the case, especially when it's regarding someone's sexuality and gender. I think if it was more definitively political stuff like "coffee morning for people who really want a £10 minimum wage" I'd, even as someone who likes coffee, being up early and the idea of a £10 minimum wage, agree that it was boring cobblers. However, if it's something much more personal and pertinent to someone's life I do get it. At the very least it saves time having to explain themselves to cis scum like you and I.

I do empathise that stuff like this can give off the vague feeling that you've done something wrong, as if you were surreptitiously being labled a badger baiting, psuedo-cetacean, carpet-bagger by proxy, but unless you are those things, you aren't the problem these folks have isn't you.
>> No. 428292 Anonymous
1st July 2019
Monday 4:50 pm
428292 spacer
>>428287
>Large groups of boring drunk heterosexuals talking about football or Love Island are de facto threatening to people with minority interests.
They're also quite boring, which is a perfectly good reason to avoid them.
>> No. 428293 Anonymous
1st July 2019
Monday 4:50 pm
428293 spacer
>>428288

>Some of the men I know with the worst attitudes to women pretend to be fisherpersons to try and get in their knickers.

True
And the women I've met with the worst attitude to men have all been vocal 'fisherpersons' I wonder if there is a self fulfilling prophecy feedback loop where they treat the other group like shit so double down of these things.
>> No. 428294 Anonymous
1st July 2019
Monday 5:36 pm
428294 spacer
>>428293
You've got to question the motives of anyone for joining a particular group. A lot of the people behind organisations which try to 'cure' gayness in America are actually themselves latent homosexuals.
>> No. 428305 Anonymous
1st July 2019
Monday 9:35 pm
428305 spacer
I hear you OP. I'm guessing you get a lot of your social invites off Fetlife too, but that sort of "scene" will always tend towards this sort of nonsense. So in answer to your initial question, I'd say it's a little of column A, a little of column B.

I think it's just an aspect of the very narcissistic society we currently exist under, the whole social media circus where every individual has to be a cult of personality. People find it hard to resist making these labels into an active part of who they are rather than just a helpful, descriptive word for a part of their sexuality or worldview.

I agree that some people can feel threatened in a more "normal" social mix, and sometimes you might want to gather with others who share a particular interest. But you're right that sometimes it gets daft. You don't have to go to a special non-binary poly-friendly Magic The Gathering group, for example, because frankly, sex and sexuality is as far removed from Magic The Gathering as it's possible to fucking be. On the other hand, I can see why you might want a fisherperson book club or something like that.

I've been to one of those kink board game nights because my Mrs dragged me along once. It was almost as if it was just a normal, non-kink board game night, except that people were marginally less visibly awkward about me wearing a collar and her occasionally calling me "good boy".
>> No. 428308 Anonymous
1st July 2019
Monday 10:19 pm
428308 spacer
If these socials didn't attract enough people, they would shut down. I think that in itself answers your question about how necessary or 'weird' they are.

>I once attended a left wing comedy night where we were given a speech before hand about how to react to the performers and not show any discord
Was it Lolitics? That Chris Coltrane is a bit of an arse.
>> No. 428311 Anonymous
1st July 2019
Monday 11:20 pm
428311 spacer
>>428308
>If these socials didn't attract enough people, they would shut down. I think that in itself answers your question about how necessary or 'weird' they are.

I'm willing to believe more than a few continue out of sheer stubbornness and a rightiousness. We live in the days of the internet, even horse fuckers probably have pub meet ups

>Was it Lolitics? That Chris Coltrane is a bit of an arse.

It was, I wrote about it on here a few years back. There was one comedian there who had stumbled into the wrong venue who was genuinely entertaining at least.

Chris seems like the kind who would run a totalitarian state out of a complete lack of self awareness, have a good sneer at anyone who lost out in the revolution, and just stand on the dock giving the finger when they all leave due to brain drain.
>> No. 428317 Anonymous
2nd July 2019
Tuesday 12:37 am
428317 spacer
>>428305

>I think it's just an aspect of the very narcissistic society we currently exist under, the whole social media circus where every individual has to be a cult of personality. People find it hard to resist making these labels into an active part of who they are rather than just a helpful, descriptive word for a part of their sexuality or worldview.

OP here I think you might have hit the nail on the head (good boy), that is why I see it as a political. Because it all fits into the pargim of treating disriptive class qualities as being the most important thing where as my philosophy has always been to treat them as irrelivant to judgement. It is a shift most people seemed to not notice or got tired of fighting and just accepted but I think is toxic to society.

>On the other hand, I can see why you might want a fisherperson book club or something like that.

Well yes there is a reason I said 'attaching non-sequentially political stances'. If that's your bag fair play. But to have it dominate every other aspect of your life that you can't stand the idea of doing activities with people who are part of the tribe, is disturbing to me.
>> No. 428318 Anonymous
2nd July 2019
Tuesday 5:38 am
428318 spacer
>>428279
No. If you have you're either subconsciously seeking it out or live in a weird area. The reason these things are considered abnormal is because they are.

>>428317
I feel like you can trace all of this back to early internet culture. Back in the 2000s internet communities were based in shared interests, and so your interests=your community and your community=your identity.
>> No. 428319 Anonymous
2nd July 2019
Tuesday 5:42 am
428319 spacer
>>428311
>even horse fuckers probably have pub meet ups
Horse fuckers fall into the same category as lolicons where they're discomfortingly normal people irl.
>> No. 428321 Anonymous
2nd July 2019
Tuesday 8:23 am
428321 spacer
>>428311
I once went to Lolitics and forgot about the no-heckling rule. The comedian on stage said something like "this isn't pantomime" and I good-naturedly shouted "oh yes it is!" which got a few laughs. Coltrane swooped down on me, grabbed my shoulder and whispered in my ear "don't do that again". Probably should have lamped him.
>> No. 428322 Anonymous
2nd July 2019
Tuesday 9:33 am
428322 spacer
This is pretty much why i haven't joined social/support groups and volunteer in charity shops. It's essentially laberling yourself as lonely and getting together with other loners.
>> No. 428324 Anonymous
2nd July 2019
Tuesday 10:46 am
428324 spacer
The spelling in this thread is terrible.
>> No. 428325 Anonymous
2nd July 2019
Tuesday 11:55 am
428325 spacer
>>428324
The mods have stopped enforcing spelling and grammar, even when it is reported to them.
>> No. 428326 Anonymous
2nd July 2019
Tuesday 12:05 pm
428326 spacer
I'm sure a lot of people are acting in good faith, but I suspect there's a social signalling element to this and a profit motive element. What better way to signal that you hold the nice opinions on matters of social inclusion, or to encourage people to buy an otherwise substitutable board game than to appeal to their politics? Especially if the advantages for doing so outweigh slightly awkward naming conventions.
There's even a little bit of post-ironic humour that comes from how unexpected it is to have a trans inclusionary fisherperson railway company. It's a sentence you can only really parse as "good politics railway company."
>> No. 428330 Anonymous
2nd July 2019
Tuesday 5:20 pm
428330 spacer
>>428326
I kind of doubt it's that cynical. Having grow up in a fairly liberal area with two very liberal sisters, I can say there's very few hardcore liberals who are outright bad or even disingenuous people. They're mostly just really stupid and lack self awareness
>> No. 428331 Anonymous
2nd July 2019
Tuesday 5:32 pm
428331 spacer
>>428330

I find it a mixture of both, with a higher prominence of the more vocal ones being the secret arseholes. As the other lad said

> A lot of the people behind organisations which try to 'cure' gayness in America are actually themselves latent homosexuals.
>> No. 428336 Anonymous
2nd July 2019
Tuesday 7:29 pm
428336 spacer
>>428330

Anecdotally, my partner tells me she's been involved with plenty of people who were utter cunts, but hid behind the fact they were progressive and liberal as if it somehow offset the fact they were a huge bellend. I feel like you see that displayed a lot in online discourse- It doesn't matter which side people claim to be on, what they often share is a very mean spirited kind of desire to soak up praise from their peers while outright mocking and belittling those who hold differing opinions.

We had a rather eye opening conversation early on in the relationship, when I expressed concern that she might not like me in the long run because I am at best ambivalent, and most often simply exasperated, by the whole woke/progressive/identity politics kind of crowd. It's almost as if there is more to people than whatever labels they chose to identify with or have placed on them by others. But that's pretty much the quintessence of the whole situation really, isn't it.
>> No. 428348 Anonymous
2nd July 2019
Tuesday 11:26 pm
428348 spacer
>>428336

>It's almost as if there is more to people than whatever labels they chose to identify with or have placed on them by others. But that's pretty much the quintessence of the whole situation really, isn't it.

Personally, I reject any kind of labelling of my beliefs and what I stand for. And I'm really just too much all over the place for that. But as Chris Rock once said - Crime, I'm conservative about. Prostitution, I'm liberal about!

Also, some of the most closed-minded people I have ever met were indeed hiding behind a kind of left-wing liberal, faux open-minded, minority-including, tolerance wonderland kind of world view. The only problem with that was usually that they were completely blind and oblivious towards the fact that they themselves tolerated very little deviation in other people's opinions from what they themselves thought was the only way to see the world.
>> No. 428352 Anonymous
3rd July 2019
Wednesday 7:33 am
428352 spacer
The thing is stuff like playing board games, Magic or D&D should be inclusive. You just don't need to label it as such. The D&D group I am in has 2 women and a gay in it, it was posted on the message board in my local games shop as a fortnightly gaming session. Not as a LGBTQ+, eskimo friendly gaming group, because it shouldn't have to be. It's just people getting imaginary woke points, so they can show off how inclusive they are.
>> No. 428354 Anonymous
3rd July 2019
Wednesday 11:51 am
428354 spacer
>>428352

> It's just people getting imaginary woke points, so they can show off how inclusive they are.

That's the point though. A lot of times, it's more about showboating your inclusiveness than it is about actually being inclusive.
>> No. 428356 Anonymous
3rd July 2019
Wednesday 12:00 pm
428356 spacer

tumblr_pt3gyieHKi1qg1n95_1280.png
428356428356428356
I don't entirely disagree but this thread did remind me of this.
>> No. 428357 Anonymous
3rd July 2019
Wednesday 12:16 pm
428357 spacer
>>428356
Had the pleasure of meeting Alex Norris at a comic convention once. (S)he was surprisingly down to earth, and VERY funny.

They're queer / non-binary as you might have guessed.
>> No. 428360 Anonymous
3rd July 2019
Wednesday 1:02 pm
428360 spacer
>>428357

Do you do impressions of anyone other than Limmy?
>> No. 428361 Anonymous
3rd July 2019
Wednesday 1:56 pm
428361 spacer
>>428357
>(S)he
Are you sure this is Alex's pronoun?
>> No. 428362 Anonymous
3rd July 2019
Wednesday 2:12 pm
428362 spacer
>>428354
This reminds me: I really dislike the way 'gatekeeping' is the current word of the moment. Communities that are inherently exclusionary (I'm particularly sensitive to communities that are expensive to join or to be active in) seem to complain about 'gatekeeping' the most. Of course, they never about the unnecessary gatekeeping that costs or social status creates, it's always about some petty internal drama where some mid status individual said only people who like blue are TRUE members of the group, at which point higher status types can show fans of other colours they're welcome without actually sacrificing anything.
>> No. 428363 Anonymous
3rd July 2019
Wednesday 2:53 pm
428363 spacer
>>428361
"They were" as opposed to "he/she was" has always seemed sinisterly final to me as if you're referring to the subject in an obituary.

Alex is a pretty sound person and I doubt would mind much if somebody got their preferred pronoun wrong in an innocent enough context.

>>428356
Used to do Jim Davidson impressions but I kept getting asked to speak at BXP conferences.
>> No. 428364 Anonymous
3rd July 2019
Wednesday 2:56 pm
428364 spacer
>>428363

>"They were" as opposed to "he/she was" has always seemed sinisterly final to me as if you're referring to the subject in an obituary.

You say that as if you didn't just use Limmy's obituary joke anyway. I assumed this person actually was dead.
>> No. 428367 Anonymous
3rd July 2019
Wednesday 3:01 pm
428367 spacer
>>428362

One thing that really puts me off is the incessant churning out of ever-new vocabulary and pseudo definitions among those types. So now it's gatekeeping, in the past it has been anything from microaggression to cultural appropriation. All of them not necessarily invalid concepts (except for microaggression, which is a fucking joke commonly perpetuated by people who can't deal with even the most mild baseline harshness of everyday life), but certainly words that were overused to death and lost much of their meaning in the process because everybody would just shout them at this, that, and the other.
>> No. 428368 Anonymous
3rd July 2019
Wednesday 3:02 pm
428368 spacer
Still can't find the "now he gets it" sketch from Limmy's Show on YouTube anymore, so annoyed it got taken down.

Sage for not really caring about this thread.
>> No. 428704 Anonymous
11th July 2019
Thursday 2:05 pm
428704 spacer
>>428348
Yet again reminds me of that chapter about Randy, his then-girlfriend and their 'friends' in Cryptonomicon.
Especially the part when they broke up.

Return ]
whiteline

Delete Post []
Password