[ rss / options / help ]
post ]
[ b / iq / g / zoo ] [ e / news / lab ] [ v / nom / pol / eco / emo / 101 / shed ]
[ art / A / beat / boo / com / fat / job / lit / map / mph / poof / £$€¥ / spo / uhu / uni / x / y ] [ * | sfw | o ]
logo
games

Return ] Entire Thread ] First 100 posts ] Last 50 posts ]

Posting mode: Reply
Reply ]
Subject   (reply to 18718)
Message
File  []
close
swiggity swooty.jpg
187181871818718
>> No. 18718 Anonymous
9th June 2014
Monday 5:52 pm
18718 E3 thread
Many streams are available but I'm using http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:live:spike.com:64d8ba86-6cac-4baa-9013-318cc5ab810b

I'm not expecting to be amazed by anything but you never know.
Expand all images.
>> No. 18719 Anonymous
9th June 2014
Monday 7:11 pm
18719 spacer
Well Microsoft have set a low bar so I suppose nothing can disappoint me now.
>> No. 18720 Anonymous
9th June 2014
Monday 7:25 pm
18720 spacer
>>18719
It wasn't disastrously bad this time, just very mediocre with little new information.

They essentially did a Sony conference. Games and game montages but nothing really that interesting save for one or two items. I applaud them for not talking about TV, charts and Kinect though.
>> No. 18721 Anonymous
9th June 2014
Monday 7:28 pm
18721 spacer
>>18719
Were you even paying attention? You must have missed the part where they announced a single rerelease of the entire Halo FPS series with 4000 Gamerscore. Christ, you really can't please everybody.
>> No. 18722 Anonymous
9th June 2014
Monday 7:40 pm
18722 spacer
>>18721
>rerelease
That's the problem
>> No. 18723 Anonymous
9th June 2014
Monday 7:42 pm
18723 spacer
>>18721

"Finish the fight" - Halo 3

THEN WHY IS THERE A HALO 4 YOU BASTARDS!?
>> No. 18724 Anonymous
9th June 2014
Monday 7:43 pm
18724 spacer
Anything about Linux/Steambox gaming?
>> No. 18725 Anonymous
9th June 2014
Monday 7:47 pm
18725 spacer
>>18722
pretty sure he was making a joke, sweetheart.

I was admittedly pretty excited to learn that about the Halo re-release, but since it's not on PC there's little to be interested in.
>> No. 18726 Anonymous
9th June 2014
Monday 7:48 pm
18726 spacer

1402338263828[1].jpg
187261872618726
Also the events timetable is attached.
>> No. 18727 Anonymous
9th June 2014
Monday 8:33 pm
18727 spacer
>>18724
That's pretty much the last thing you could reasonably expect from E3.
>> No. 18728 Anonymous
9th June 2014
Monday 9:10 pm
18728 spacer

1381195397001.png
187281872818728
Just watching the Xbox conference and while the ID@Xbox guy was waffling on I noticed it sounds it Idiot Xbox.
>> No. 18729 Anonymous
9th June 2014
Monday 10:49 pm
18729 spacer
10 minutes till Ubisoft.
>> No. 18730 Anonymous
9th June 2014
Monday 11:27 pm
18730 spacer
Excellent you get to play as a stupid fucking white american gap yah kid in FC4.

Great that they carried that over from FC3.

I would enjoy to be proven incorrect.
>> No. 18731 Anonymous
9th June 2014
Monday 11:32 pm
18731 spacer

1375279571001.jpg
187311873118731
I would do horrible things to Aisha Tyler's arse and feet.
>> No. 18732 Anonymous
10th June 2014
Tuesday 12:10 am
18732 spacer
I'm pleased that Ubi have bounced back from WD and barely mentioned it, no doubt for good reason.

Farcry 4 I'm hype for, Rainbow Six I'm hype for. Everything else was just sorta meh.

I'm watching it with the missus and she ranted the whole gameplay demo that textures had a vaseline filter. Unacceptable for a next gen title.

Skipped EA's because SportsSportsSports.

Microsoft I'd give a solid 6/10. Best E3 they've had in years. The only issue with it I had was that they showed about 5mins of people actually playing the games. Too much pre-rendered.

It justified the purchases of people who already have the Xbox, which was the absolute minimum they had to do, but they didn't really give anyone a reason to pick it over the PS4 or Wii U. It was 90% multiplats. They need a system seller.

Overall, 7/10 E3 so far.
>> No. 18733 Anonymous
10th June 2014
Tuesday 12:23 am
18733 spacer
>>18732

>she ranted the whole gameplay demo that textures had a vaseline filter. Unacceptable for a next gen title.

Sorry, was referring to the AC demo.
>> No. 18734 Anonymous
10th June 2014
Tuesday 12:55 am
18734 spacer

rnxRsWm[1].png
187341873418734
>>18730
I got the impression from the trailer that you're playing as the character from FC3, as the villain was talking about him as if he was someone special and good at tearing shit up, and by the end of FC3 you've gone from gap yah cunt to mad cunt.

>>18732
Rainbow Six looks interesting, but I'm hoping it's not just multiplayer-only. I can imagine it getting quite dull if all the multiplayer missions are as small-scale as the one shown in the video.
AC Unity looks good, which I didn't think I'd ever say because I am not a huge fan of the AC series at all. I think I'm just a sucker for the setting, because I adore Notre-Dame de Paris and seeing it looming over the city got me very hyped.
The thing that stood out most to me was that WW1 game. You don't get many WW1 games anyway, and this one looks to be a very unusual take on a game portraying war - obviously the cartoonish 2D appearance of it is unusual, but it also seemed to focus a lot more on the human and emotional elements which is refreshing.
The Crew looked pretty cool, but perhaps a bit too ambitious. Reminds me of FUEL somewhat, which also had a massive area to drive around, but which ended up feeling a bit empty. Overall, 7/10 for Ubi.

EA's conference was alright, didn't show much gameplay of things though. Battlefront 3 early footage, hope they don't fuck it up. Bioware showed some Dragon Age III, announced Mass Effect 4, announced they're working on a new IP too, but Bioware are fucking terrible lately so whatever. The typical NHL/Madden/FIFA/UFC shit, the only highlight of the sports being that Bruce Lee is playable in the next UFC game for some reason. Sims 4 looks fine, hopefully it'll be less focused on microtransactions than Sims 3 was. Mirror's Edge 2 looks how one would expect, things that stood out were that it was said to have more focus on story, and less linearity - multiple routes through levels with fast but difficult freerunning for people good at the game, and slower simpler paths for shit people. Criterion working on a new game, very early in development, but is supposed to marry the carnage and speed of Burnout with more extreme vehicles like helicopters, wingsuits, planes, jetskis, paragliding, that thing where you tie a parachute to a vehicle and drive fast etc. Environments seemed more offroad and mountainous than the Burnout series. Visceral Games working on a Battlefield spin-off, that's basically cops vs robbers, beta is available to download NOW if you have BF4 on PC I think. 5/10, it's fine.

I missed the Microsoft conference, but Platinum Games developing a new game helmed by Hideki Kamiya exclusive to XBone is making me consider buying the console. Kamiya has never made a bad game in my eyes.
>> No. 18735 Anonymous
10th June 2014
Tuesday 1:17 am
18735 spacer
>>18734
Thanks for this. I missed it.
>> No. 18736 Anonymous
10th June 2014
Tuesday 1:48 am
18736 spacer
Sony in 10 minutes.
>> No. 18737 Anonymous
10th June 2014
Tuesday 4:08 am
18737 spacer

tearsofjoy.jpg
187371873718737
GTA V on PC.

Awww.
Yiss.

Aside from that, Project Beast looks very real and No Mans Sky looks like it has some fantastic potential. Also it's beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/v/3m9fmxyHIbk
>> No. 18738 Anonymous
10th June 2014
Tuesday 4:09 am
18738 spacer
All Nintendo have to do now is turn up, Both MS and Sony had lack lustre events. Sure, Sony had more games and Grim-fucking-fandango, but they spent too much time self fellating. MS just didn't turn up. We know Nintendo will announce/reveal most of the following and will most likely "win" E3:

~Zelda U - Confirmed
~X (Working Title) - Confirmed
~F-Zero - Surprise wild card
~Metroid U - Possible
~Bayonetta 2 - Confirmed
~Super Smash Bros. - Confirmed
~Gamecube games on Virtual Console in Wii U Marketplace - Practically confirmed by the release of a GC controller adapter for Wii U

Only two of those are a maybe, and if announced the hype they will create will most likely blow everything I've seen out the water so far with the exception of Rainbow Six and Arkham Knight.
>> No. 18739 Anonymous
10th June 2014
Tuesday 6:11 am
18739 spacer
>>18738
Nintendo is barely in the same industry as Sony and Microsoft. As a company, they do not fit in well at E3 as an event, to the point that they've given up their press conference slot. They will not "most likely "win"" at a game they're not even playing.
>> No. 18743 Anonymous
10th June 2014
Tuesday 12:13 pm
18743 spacer
>>18739

That is my point. They aren't even having a proper conference, however they are doing the SSB Invitational tournament and have a ton of games to show off.

They are going to come out of this shiny.
>> No. 18744 Anonymous
10th June 2014
Tuesday 3:57 pm
18744 spacer
Just had a flick through the Wikipedia article for Arkham Knight, and it says
>Describing the scale of difference between Arkham Knight and earlier games, lead character artist Albert Feliu said that a single character model in Arkham Knight could contain the same amount of polygons used to render the entirety of Arkham Asylum's environment.

Well, fuck. Looks like I'll have to buy a whole new rig if I want to play it.
>> No. 18746 Anonymous
10th June 2014
Tuesday 7:40 pm
18746 spacer
I can tell I'm getting old, almost none of this interests me.
>> No. 18747 Anonymous
10th June 2014
Tuesday 8:26 pm
18747 spacer
>>18746
None of E3 has interested me and I'm only 22. Recognising that mass market video games are all terrible doesn't make you an old fogey.
>> No. 18748 Anonymous
10th June 2014
Tuesday 8:59 pm
18748 spacer
I thought Zelda's art looked nice.

I have a Wii U so I was looking for some good things and I got a few. Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 bundle looks brilliant, and the Wii U got Devil's Third as an exclusive. Looks good, made by the ninja Gaiden crew.

I'm pretty happy with what I saw, so will Xbox fans; Halo: Cubed Edition, but Sony was a bit strange. The have that new From Software IP, though. Looks promising, but alas no PC.
>> No. 18754 Anonymous
12th June 2014
Thursday 12:24 am
18754 spacer
>>18746
For me, it's remasters of several games I've already played, and a sequel.
>> No. 18755 Anonymous
12th June 2014
Thursday 12:33 am
18755 spacer
No Man's Sky looks pretty good. I'm not going to get my hopes up, though. Watch_Dogs reminded me that that's never a good idea.
>> No. 18756 Anonymous
12th June 2014
Thursday 5:10 pm
18756 spacer
>GrimFandago
Fucking YES.
>ps4
Fuck YOU.
>> No. 18757 Anonymous
12th June 2014
Thursday 6:06 pm
18757 spacer
>>18756
it's coming to PC too.
>> No. 18758 Anonymous
12th June 2014
Thursday 7:36 pm
18758 spacer
>>18757
I don't recall them saying that. It's a PS4 exclusive. Wouldn't make business sense otherwise.
>> No. 18759 Anonymous
12th June 2014
Thursday 7:54 pm
18759 spacer
>>18758
Sony announced it as a game that would debut exclusively on PS4.

https://twitter.com/TimOfLegend/status/476179637987315714
>> No. 18760 Anonymous
12th June 2014
Thursday 9:40 pm
18760 spacer
>>18756
The moment that always sticks in my mind is the transfer from year 1 to 2, how it swings up, then down again and a year s gone by, Manny has the casino, it felt pretty good.
>> No. 18762 Anonymous
12th June 2014
Thursday 11:41 pm
18762 spacer
>>18758

It is coming to PC, do 30 seconds of research and you'd see that.

Splatoon was the most interesting game I seen all E3, it looks like a right laugh. Shame it'll probably die a death a few months after release, I hope it sells well.
>> No. 18763 Anonymous
13th June 2014
Friday 12:05 pm
18763 spacer
>>18762
Again, the curse of the Wii-U.
>> No. 18764 Anonymous
13th June 2014
Friday 4:06 pm
18764 spacer
>>18758
>Wouldn't make business sense otherwise.
Selling a game on more than one platform? Yeah that's terrible business sense.

Splatoon does look fun. It reminds me a lot of Super Mario Sunshine, which is probably no coincidence.
>> No. 18765 Anonymous
15th June 2014
Sunday 11:19 pm
18765 spacer
>>18759
>>18762
So you think the grievance of >>18756 is that he thought it would never come to PC? Again, that doesn't make business sense.
>> No. 18766 Anonymous
15th June 2014
Sunday 11:37 pm
18766 spacer

138222081846.gif
187661876618766
>>18765

PC getting it doesn't make business sense or it being exclusive to PS4 doesn't make business sense?

Regardless, it being on PC increases the amount of people that will buy it because PS4 is the CoD machine of this generation and it wouldn't appeal to them. I think it was possibly developed with the PC market in mind, with it also coming to PS4, rather than it also coming to PC.

If that makes sense. It is the only thing that makes business sense anyway. Can we stop talking about business sense?
>> No. 18784 Anonymous
17th June 2014
Tuesday 12:56 am
18784 spacer
>>18766
No, because we're talking about the decisions of a business i.e. Sony.

It never coming to PC doesn't make business sense, because that would ignore a market for the game even more lucrative than the PS4.

Conversely, it coming to PC at the same time as the PS4 doesn't make business sense, because an exclusive title of this nature will help drive sales of the console.

I'm not sure why me pointing this out has generated such a large amount of confusion among other posters. It's a simple concept to grasp.
>> No. 18794 Anonymous
17th June 2014
Tuesday 2:17 am
18794 spacer
>>18784
" It's a simple concept to grasp" is not a synonym for "I am right, ya boo sucks".
>> No. 18824 Anonymous
17th June 2014
Tuesday 4:04 pm
18824 spacer
>>18784

The type of people who will buy PS4s this gen, proper lads, wont like Grimfandango and it wont be a system seller for them; it is too niche now, whereas it is beloved among the PC community.

Even if Grimfandango is being published by Sony, they'd be mad not to release it on PC and they've realised that which is why it is, in fact, coming to PC. Otherwise it simply would not be able to compete with Fifa, CoD, etc.
>> No. 18847 Anonymous
18th June 2014
Wednesday 6:52 pm
18847 spacer
>>18824
Grim Fandango the new version is coming to PC? Praise the lord!
>> No. 18870 Anonymous
21st June 2014
Saturday 2:40 am
18870 spacer
>>18824
Your rebuttal to my point that it being an exclusive will help drive sales of the console is that it won't make the type of people who will buy a PS4 buy a PS4?
>> No. 18871 Anonymous
21st June 2014
Saturday 3:44 am
18871 spacer
>>18870

The majority of people who own or will own a PS4 wont buy Grimfandango, because it isn't CoD or Fifa. Unfortunate, but true.

It will sell a considerable amount more on PC than on PS4 as a result of this, keeping it exclusive to PS4 would do nothing to help its sales and it would bomb spectacularly.

Why is this a difficult concept for you to understand? PS4 is the ladm8 console of the gen and ladm8s don't even know what a Grimfandango is.
>> No. 18872 Anonymous
21st June 2014
Saturday 3:55 am
18872 spacer
>>18871
>"Why is this a difficult concept for you to understand? "

This has to stop.
>> No. 18873 Anonymous
21st June 2014
Saturday 9:04 am
18873 spacer

image.jpg
188731887318873
>>18718
>> No. 18874 Anonymous
21st June 2014
Saturday 9:07 am
18874 spacer
>>18873

7/10 elicited a smirk.
>> No. 18875 Anonymous
21st June 2014
Saturday 9:09 am
18875 spacer
>>18872

I agree, it's really not hard to understand why all this needs to stop.
>> No. 18879 Anonymous
21st June 2014
Saturday 3:30 pm
18879 spacer
>>18871
This lad is right. I am a ladm8 with a PS4 and I don't know what Fandango is. I thought it was some Mediterranean type of cheese.
>> No. 18888 Anonymous
21st June 2014
Saturday 8:14 pm
18888 spacer
>>18879

I always thought it was a dance of some sort.

scaramouche scaramouche will you do the fandango
>> No. 18889 Anonymous
21st June 2014
Saturday 8:16 pm
18889 spacer
>>18888
It is. That's what the title refers to.
>> No. 18900 Anonymous
21st June 2014
Saturday 10:25 pm
18900 spacer
Grim Fandango is a Spanish version of Danse Macbre basically.
>> No. 18901 Anonymous
21st June 2014
Saturday 10:55 pm
18901 spacer
>>18871

This makes me really sad.
>> No. 18902 Anonymous
21st June 2014
Saturday 11:30 pm
18902 spacer
>>18871
>The majority of people who own or will own a PS4 wont buy Grimfandango
Again, you're missing my fucking point completely. It's not about selling Grim Fandango to fans of the PS4. It's about selling the PS4 to fans of Grim Fandango.
>> No. 18903 Anonymous
21st June 2014
Saturday 11:53 pm
18903 spacer
>>18902
> It's about selling the PS4 to fans of Grim Fandango.
Like selling a car to people who like AC.
>> No. 18905 Anonymous
22nd June 2014
Sunday 12:23 am
18905 spacer
>>18903
It was only last year that Sony was widely claimed to have "won" E3 by having weird shit like fucking Octodad on the main stage. These games obviously don't do the same business as CoD or Fifa or whatever, but Sony is targeting a very specific audience who appreciate the non-mainstream for the simple reason that they are the ones that "ladm8s" go to when they're deciding PS4 or Xbox One.

Support for independent development and smaller games does not necessarily lead directly to a massive amount of game sales, but it does generate a lot of goodwill and that's extremely valuable in the long run.

If you want to know how successful gunning directly for the CoD crowd is, ask Microsoft how helpful Titanfall has been for their One sales. Or ask how many units their timed exclusivity deal for CoD DLC has helped shift. Most people buying a console to occasionally play stuff like CoD and Fifa don't know about the timed exclusivity deal and don't know that Titanfall is made by the same guys behind MW1. What they do know is that the PS4 is cheaper, and that their mate who's really into games says it's better.
>> No. 18920 Anonymous
22nd June 2014
Sunday 10:28 pm
18920 spacer
>>18905

Any goodwill Sony had will be completely eroded by PS Now.

They have removed all the PS and PS2 classics from the PS store and will over you the opportunity to rent them, via their game streaming service, a service they will also be using to provide their PS3 content to PS4.

You cannot buy these games anymore, digitally at least, if you want to "own" them you have to illegally download them.
>> No. 18924 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 12:22 am
18924 spacer
>>18920
I think the benefits of a streaming service (which you don't have to rent from, actually, they'll be offering a subscription service once Now's out of beta) far outweigh entirely academic concerns about ownership. I don't own any music or films any more, but through Netflix and Google Play Music I have unlimited access to an absolutely massive catalogue of both. Having the same service with games would be great.

Also in the coming months and years people will mostly stop giving a shit about playing PS3 games on their PS4. The only reason people care now is that they have a lot of the former and very few of the latter. I had a launch 60gb PS3 with full PS2 backwards capability. I didn't use that function once from 2008 onwards.
>> No. 18925 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 12:35 am
18925 spacer
>>18920
Have they removed them from the store? I notice that the classics section is no longer there, but the games still seem to be on there they just take more effort to find.
>> No. 18926 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 12:42 am
18926 spacer
>>18924

Netflix has a frankly mediocre selection of media, and by no means does it have even a fraction of the available movies that exist on disk. If it was comprehensive, then I could see it being a valid alternative to physical media, but it isn't.

Sony have removed their entire PS and PS2 back catalogue from the PS Store. You can't buy them anymore digitally, you have to pay them to stream it. They are putting their games behind a pay wall that you have no choice but pay if you want to play Final Fantasy 7 again. You can't buy it, download it and play it offline, oh no. You have to stream it over their servers at a premium.

I'm surprised, truly, that you are comfortable with this. This does nothing to benefit the consumer and only serves to line the pockets of Sony's shareholders.
>> No. 18927 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 12:45 am
18927 spacer
>>18924

>subscription service

So, you are paying a static monthly fee regardless of how many games a month you choose to rent? That changes nothing.
>> No. 18929 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 12:47 am
18929 spacer
>>18920
They're still there lad, lumped together in the Classic games section.

I know it confused me earlier when I couldn't find the specific sections.
>> No. 18930 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 12:49 am
18930 spacer
>>18926
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-gb/games/final-fantasy-vii/cid=EP0082-NPEF00069_00-GFINALFANT000001?gclid=CNbhoPTVjr8CFSbKtAod3woAjw

u wot m8.
>> No. 18931 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 12:54 am
18931 spacer
>>18924

>I didn't use that function once from 2008 onwards.

There hasn't been a year since their release that I haven't gone back and played Metal Gear Solid 3, Devil May Cry 3, Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy X/XII, Kingdom Hearts 1/2.

I didn't have to pay Sony a penny for the privilege beyond PoS either, because I own the media and I'm not beholden to arbitrarily defined rental fees to gain access to them.
>> No. 18932 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 1:22 am
18932 spacer
>>18926
It's a hell of a lot easier for Sony to provide a streaming service than to ensure that every generation of their consoles is capable of playing the last generations games while maintaining profitability. That was one the main thing that obliged them to take a massive loss on every launch PS3 they sold.

>>18927
Apart from the fact that it totally changes the economics of the service, of course.

>>18931
You're still able to play those games. Nobody's confiscating them.
>> No. 18933 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 1:26 am
18933 spacer
>>18930

The clue is the "Playable on" section underneath the price.

PS4 omitted, so you no longer have access to that game on PS4 even though your account is unified across all systems and you do, technically, still own it. Want to play it? Well, you can rent it... Even Nintendo are starting to get this shit down, Sony has no excuse for this other than profiteering. The ability to emulate those titles is not hardware based and hasn't been for 6 years.
>> No. 18934 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 1:29 am
18934 spacer
>>18926
>only serves to line the pockets of Sony's shareholders
Yeah, god forbid Sony actually makes a profit.
>> No. 18936 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 1:32 am
18936 spacer
>>18932

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths some people will go to defend their favourite multinational corporations.

Truly we live in the end of days, the next video game crash cannot come soon enough.
>> No. 18937 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 1:37 am
18937 spacer
>>18934

I presume Monsanto are a group of innocent business professionals just trying to make a living in your eyes also?

Please refrain from shillposting on this website, it looks ridiculous.
>> No. 18938 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 1:39 am
18938 spacer
>>18937
I think you misunderstood me. Sony is in absolutely dire financial shape right now, and they have been for the last decade. Nobody's lining their pockets with Sony's profits because Sony is far from profitable.
>> No. 18939 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 1:41 am
18939 spacer
>>18936
Don't have any "favourite multinational corporations", mate. I don't actually care about Sony in the slightest. That doesn't change the fact that what their doing makes sense and has a lot of potential though!
>> No. 18940 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 1:42 am
18940 spacer
>>18939
Grammar error! Forty-three year ban!

(A good day to you Sir!)
>> No. 18942 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 1:51 am
18942 spacer
>>18940
It's 1:40am, and I haven't been sober since Friday. The fact that anything I'm posting is grammatically correct's amazing.
>> No. 18943 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 1:51 am
18943 spacer
>>18940
We're still to account for the Y2038 problem, so count your blessings you're only banned for the next 24 years I guess.
>> No. 18944 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 1:56 am
18944 spacer
>>18939

It has a lot of potential to make Sony money at the expense of the only thing that can save them as a company at this point; PS4 users.

There will be a lot of angry customers complaining about the fact they can't play their bought-and-paid-for library of PS/PS2 Classics on PS4 without paying a premium for the privilege.

It will alienate users and drive away potential adopters, who will just stick with PS3. I know I'm not buy a PS4 anytime in the next 2 years at least and this has further confirmed to me that none of the next gen consoles are worth lubeless fisting they seem to marketing as if it's chocolate cocks.
>> No. 18945 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 2:03 am
18945 spacer
>>18942
>I haven't been sober since Friday
That's a piss-poor excuse, he says while frantically searching for a coat.
>> No. 18946 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 2:06 am
18946 spacer
>>18936
What lengths?
>> No. 18947 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 2:07 am
18947 spacer
>>18943
Oh that explains it. I was thinking, 'not only did they take the bait, but they can't even fucking count'.
>> No. 18948 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 2:08 am
18948 spacer
>>18944
I think you're seriously overestimating the degree to which people in 2014 give a shit about PS1/PS2 games. It sure doesn't look like potential adopters are being driven away from here.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/12/12/playstation-4-had-largest-console-launch-in-history

Also, if someone was really into PS1/PS2 games I don't see why they wouldn't be happy at the prospect of being able to access the back catalogue of both systems for a small monthly fee.
>> No. 18949 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 2:09 am
18949 spacer
>>18948
Yeah, why wouldn't I mind giving Sony money to play something I already own?
>> No. 18950 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 2:11 am
18950 spacer
>>18948
Not him, but you're right. I can't see how they'd fail to be happy at the prospect of paying to play all those games they've already paid to play.
>> No. 18952 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 2:13 am
18952 spacer
>>18949
How is it stopping you from playing PS1/2/3 games you own on the PS1/2/3 consoles respectively?
>> No. 18953 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 2:13 am
18953 spacer
>>18949
>>18950
You don't have to pay to play the games you already own. You already can play those games you own on a console you, presumably, already own.
>> No. 18955 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 2:33 am
18955 spacer
>>18953

You are being deliberately obtuse now. Cross platform licenses aren't exactly a recent concept, do try and keep up.

Your license doesn't extend to the PS4 specifically because they want to charge people to rent these games on PS4. This is what we've been talking about the entire time.

From Gen 8 and onwards, these games will not be available to own digitally.

What possible reason could someone have, that isn't affiliated with Sony, for defending this? If people were "ok" with policies like this then Microsoft wouldn't have made a U-turn on their no used games E3 blunder from last year.
>> No. 18957 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 2:43 am
18957 spacer
>>18955
Nobody's going to stop using the Play store because of it, are they.
>> No. 18959 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 2:52 am
18959 spacer
>>18955
>You are being deliberately obtuse now. Cross platform licenses aren't exactly a recent concept, do try and keep up.
But you didn't buy a cross platform license, did you mate?
>> No. 18960 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 2:54 am
18960 spacer
I don't like the idea of games being streaming only, because if I have an internet problem or don't fancy subscribing for a month, I'll lose a lot of my game library. They shouldn't remove the option to buy PS1/PS2 classics outright, because that's bullshit and completely fucks over anyone who doesn't have a constant broadband internet connection.
>> No. 18961 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 2:54 am
18961 spacer
>>18955
>If people were "ok" with policies like this then Microsoft wouldn't have made a U-turn on their no used games E3 blunder from last year
Microsoft made a U-turn because masses of people complained about their policies. I've heard literally nobody crying about Playstation Now except for you.
>> No. 18962 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 2:59 am
18962 spacer
>>18960
All indications seem to be that it won't be exclusively done through streaming. Ahsan Rasheed has indicated that Sony's been working on improving native playback with upscaling.
>> No. 18964 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 3:42 am
18964 spacer
>>18962
Problem is, with EPSXE you can make some PS1 games look bloody stunning, comparatively. Sony could have really gone for it with the PS4, and built in genuinely good PS1 & PS2 emulators which upscaled and polish to the same degree.

But nope.
>> No. 18965 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 3:50 am
18965 spacer
>>18964
I don't think the demand for PS1 and PS2 emulation is significant enough to justify making it a top priority.
>> No. 18966 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 4:25 am
18966 spacer
>>18965
Yeah, who cares about games like MGS 1-3, Shadow of the Colossus or the other games they grew up with, nobody cares about those or plays them anymore.
>> No. 18967 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 5:09 am
18967 spacer
>>18966

I just play them on my ps2.
>> No. 18969 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 6:06 am
18969 spacer
>>18966
Nobody's taking away your ability to play them you massive fucking crybaby wanker.
>> No. 18970 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 6:21 am
18970 spacer
>>18969
I remember being a corporate apologist teenlad, too, it's a phase which should pass in a few years.
>> No. 18971 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 6:30 am
18971 spacer
>>18970
>I remember being a corporate apologist teenlad
Hahaha fuck me. I bet you were popular.
>> No. 18972 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 8:18 am
18972 spacer
>>18970

Eventually. I remember one such lad, a right Billy No Mates, he was. A mate bumped into him last year, ten years since 6th form. Apparently he turned out to have become a reasonable chap.
>> No. 18973 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 8:42 am
18973 spacer
>>18970
>>18972
"Watch out lads, here comes the corporate apologist!"

Did you go to school at fucking Risinghill or something?
>> No. 18974 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 9:03 am
18974 spacer
>>18973
What are you on about? Being oblivious as to how much you're being ripped off as a child/teenager is fairly normal, be it with pokemon cards or Xbox games.
>> No. 18975 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 9:12 am
18975 spacer
>>18959

Everyone who bought a PS Classic on the store did, including me.
>> No. 18976 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 9:20 am
18976 spacer
>>18974

I still don't get how you are being ripped off and I'm not banker lad, PS2s and their games are dirt cheap, I wouldn't want to pay £20 for a PS4 marketplace version of DMC2 when I can get it off the bloke down the market for a few quid.

I mean it isn't like when these games came out on PS4 they activated the kill switches in the millions of old copies around the world. Oh dear, what if that is the next step?
>> No. 18977 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 9:29 am
18977 spacer
>>18961

>crying

Jesus Christ, lad. Anyone who complained about this would be doing so legitimately.

The only way to play these games legitimately from now on if you don't already own a physical copy is to rent them or pay an Ebay or Amazon seller £50. This policy is bad for consumers, because Ebay scalpers will start making money again hand over fist now they are the only place to outright buy these games.

Barely anything was shown about this at E3 and no prices were mentioned, because Sony aren't stupid. From what people have been posting on boards all across the gamesphere, in America obviously, prices will start from $2.99 for 4 measly fucking hours rising to $15.99 for 90 days. $15.99 is more than these games cost to buy on PS Store for PS3 to keep forever.

And you are suggesting a monthly subscription would somehow solve this issue?

I'd love to see you defend that, corporateshilllad.
>> No. 18978 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 9:41 am
18978 spacer
>>18975
Not for the platform being discussed you didn't. If there's a term in the license that promises to make the PS Classic game natively playable on every future console Sony ever brings out I'll happily admit that I'm wrong. There's not though. And there's no reason why there should be.
>> No. 18979 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 9:51 am
18979 spacer
>>18977
Or you could, you know, buy them on the PSN store and play them on PS3. Which you're still able to do and there's no indication that you won't be in future. In fact there's every reason to believe that native emulation will at some point be extended to the PS4 (see http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131754-PlayStation-Now-May-Exclude-PS1-PS2-Games-PS4-To-Get-Emulators http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2014/03/27/ps4-ps2-1-emulation-ranges-from-amazing-1080p-to-terribly-buggy-single-fps/ )

No prices were mentioned because the prices are yet to be determined. That's part of the beta.

I'm suggesting that maybe you should wait until a subscription model exists and has announced price points before you get outraged about it.
>> No. 18980 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 9:54 am
18980 spacer
>>18978

How about they were available on the PS4 up until recently and were removed behind a paywall. You know, the point of this discussion.

Actually, you know what I'm not banging my head against a wall trying to argue with a shameless corporate apologist. Sony are the wise masters, the consumers the oblivious chattel and you are the loyal Shepherds dog circling the herd reigning in stragglers in unquestioning servitude to the glorious Nippon.

You are right. Who gives a fuck about old games, they are old and gross.

>>18976

DMC2? There is a reason that is so cheap, it is fucking terrible.
>> No. 18981 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 9:59 am
18981 spacer
>>18980
>How about they were available on the PS4 up until recently and were removed behind a paywall. You know, the point of this discussion.
They were never playable on PS4, and you did not buy a license that entitles you to play them on PS4 is the point. Whether you can see them on a store page is irrelevant.
>> No. 18982 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 10:06 am
18982 spacer

image.jpg
189821898218982
>>18979

Not everyone who will buy a PS4 has ever or will ever own a PS3 or indeed a PS/PS2. People who were born in 1996 are now 18 years old and their first consoles will have overwhelmingly been a generation 7 console, and they will upgrade to a PS4 perhaps from a 360 or a Wii with no way to buy classic games which still hold universal appeal and sell on PS Store still because good games don't stop being good because they get old.

I say no way to buy, because there is no reason to think Sony will implement the ability to buy them either. Not when will be willing to pay this sort of money for the privilege of holding them for a bit.
>> No. 18983 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 10:10 am
18983 spacer
>>18980

DMC2 was just an example and fuck off I liked it but maybe that's because I am an insufferable twat like are lad Dante.

But don't fuck old games, they're amazing and a vast majority of the good ones still hold up to this day, fuck new ports of old games, the only reason I can see behind getting a PS3/4 port of one is for the trophies and gamer score.
>> No. 18984 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 10:12 am
18984 spacer
>>18981

>you did not buy a license that entitles you to play them on PS4

Thanks, Uncle SONYTM!
>> No. 18985 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 10:19 am
18985 spacer

toejam-earl-20110930002334927-000.jpg
189851898518985
>>18982

>good games don't stop being good

I was so pleased that they released Toe Jam and Earl for the PS3 a while back.

Best game of my childhood and still so much fun to play.
>> No. 18986 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 10:34 am
18986 spacer
Remember how fucking thoroughly arseblasted Microsoft got over people complaining about the always online? Sony said the PS4 was playable offline, it sells double the units literally outsells it 2/1.

Now they are introducing a way to play games that is not only fucking extortionate, is only available online. Do they truly believe that people wont just sell their PS4s and get something else? The only way Sony makes money is on Software and doing something like this will drive away users.

Me and my Uni friends, 4 guys, used some of our loan to buy one each at launch. All but 1 of us has said we will trade the thing in to CeX if they charge to play all the games they already own from the PS store on PS4, with the other going into full damage control and calling us entitled babies and ending up getting a kick in one night because of it when we had a drink round his.

My mates aren't exactly tech savvy either, neither am I really, and they are noticeably aggrieved at the prospect of getting shafted like that, because it is expensive and they are students and all our internet connections are shite.
>> No. 18987 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 10:34 am
18987 spacer
>>18982
If emulation/classics on the store aren't implemented on PS4 and somebody who doesn't have a PS3 wants to play old Playstation games so much they can... buy a PS3. I'm really struggling to see what your issue is here.

>Not when will be willing to pay this sort of money for the privilege of holding them for a bit
Do you not understand what a beta is or something? Those prices are literally making headlines, and Sony have gone out of their way to explain that they're testing out pricing models. Again, why don't you wait until the actual prices are announced before you complain about them?

Also, the prices for the classics were fucking terrible anyway. I paid £8 for FF VII, which is not great value for a game that's more than a decade old!

>>18984
Shit, I didn't realise that pointing out that you're wrong about what your license entitles you to was yet another instance of me being a Corporate Shill. My bad.
>> No. 18988 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 10:37 am
18988 spacer
>>18986

>and ending up getting a kick in one night because of it when we had a drink round his.

This sounds like something that entitled babies would do.
>> No. 18989 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 10:42 am
18989 spacer
>>18987

>I paid £8 for FF VII, which is not great value for a game that's more than a decade old!

But renting it for £8 quid for 30 days is?
>> No. 18990 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 10:44 am
18990 spacer
>>18989
>Do you not understand what a beta is or something? Those prices are literally making headlines, and Sony have gone out of their way to explain that they're testing out pricing models. Again, why don't you wait until the actual prices are announced before you complain about them?
>> No. 18991 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 10:45 am
18991 spacer
>>18987

"We have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360."

Don Mattrick, ladies and gents. Quits MS to shitpost on .gs...
>> No. 18992 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 10:47 am
18992 spacer
>>18990

So your argument at this point is "Lets just see where this goes, guys! It might not be that bad!"

Sounds like damage control to me.
>> No. 18993 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 10:50 am
18993 spacer
>>18988

Yeah, because insulting your friends and calling them an exotic selection of expletives for daring to question Sony's motives with this streaming pish is the epitome of reasoned and logical debate.
>> No. 18994 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 10:50 am
18994 spacer
>>18991
"People who don't have a PS2 or PS3 and want to play old playstation games and are also averse to joining a subscription service that allows them to do so" is a bit more of a niche than "people with poor internet connections".
>> No. 18995 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 10:51 am
18995 spacer
>>18992
Yeah, fair enough, why not just complain about things that don't exist.
>> No. 18996 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 11:03 am
18996 spacer
>>18994

You do realise that this is an online only streaming service, right?
>> No. 18997 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 11:08 am
18997 spacer
>>18995

It does exist and in its current format it will be a colossal rip off.

If I truly am the only nay sayer then you can sure as shit believe that £29.99 for a 90 day rental of a PS3 game will become a reality. And isn't that what you want? As you said, god forbid Sony make a profit.
>> No. 18998 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 11:11 am
18998 spacer
>>18959
>>18981
Sorry mate, I'm going to have to report you. Your licence to post from home doesn't cover you for posting from work.
>> No. 18999 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 11:35 am
18999 spacer
>>18997
Its current format is a beta. I suggest you research that term. Not to mention the fact that the subscription rates haven't been announced.

You're the only person I've seen throwing a hissyfit about streaming, not the only person complaining about the beta prices. As I said, they've made headlines.
>> No. 19000 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 11:38 am
19000 spacer
>>18999
Streaming is fucking retarded and the whole scheme is a fucking con. Not the guy you're responding to so give the "you're the only one complaining!!!" spiel a rest.
>> No. 19001 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 11:39 am
19001 spacer
>>18996
You do realise that there's a difference between suggesting that people who want to play old games should buy old hardware and suggesting that people who want to play new games should make do with old hardware?
>> No. 19002 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 11:51 am
19002 spacer
To be fair. Built in backward compatibility only became a thing with the PS2. I know you could buy an adapter for the Megdrive to play Master System games yes.
But how many generations do you really expect it to carry on for?
>> No. 19003 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 12:02 pm
19003 spacer
>>19001

That old hardware is no longer being manufactured, PS1s in particular are hard to come by. That doesn't even start to take into account how much the games cost to get a hold of nowadays. Compared to £40 quid for a physical copy of FF7, £8 is a steal and they are removing that option to concentrate on maximum profit.

Nintendo has released the majority of their back catalogue of 1st party titles from their legacy consoles online to buy and if you buy it on one, you will have it on the other. Wii U and 3DS have a unified account system now. Anything you bought for the Virtual Console on Wii can be transferred over to your Wii U account also.

The only problem there is because the Wii isn't a part of the unified account system you have to pay a quid to do it. Nintendo have always been a step behind with their online, but at least they are making an effort and you still own the titles you pay for.

There is going to be a massive video games crash again and mobile gaming will rise from the ashes like a soiled gusset and people will claim it was always this way, "why are you complaining about microtransactions you Dinosaur? Who cares about video game streaming, it's just like netflix."

And all will be lost.
>> No. 19004 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 12:06 pm
19004 spacer
>>19003
PS3s no longer being manufactured. You heard it here first.
>> No. 19005 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 12:10 pm
19005 spacer
>>19002

Digitally? There is absolutely no reason they couldn't do it on PS4, the infrastructure is already in place. Do you think whatever will be running these games over the stream will be a PS/PS2? Of course it wont, they have had in house emulators for that for years. The PS4 could play PS/PS2 games with an update, and the PSN titles for PS3 that will be streamed could be ported on a toaster for the price of bread.

The majority of them are already on PC and wouldn't even need ported to the x86 architecture.

This is just a cynical, profit-minded manoeuvre from a financially struggling corporation and may erode all the good will they've garnered over the years with gamers by locking games behind a pay wall and not letting you buy them outright.
>> No. 19006 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 12:19 pm
19006 spacer
>>19004

Yeah m8, attacking his wording instead of his argument. Wont no wot hit im, etc.

>>19002

They've been able to emulate PS1 and PS2 games for years without stuttering or framedrops, there is nothing stopping them from updating the PS4 to do the same. They don't need the hardware in the machine anymore for backwards compatibility to be viable.

A lot of the PSN only games that never had disk releases or were on PC as well could easily be made available to download on the PS4 too. The issue is that they are locking them behind a subscription pay wall and not letting you buy them to keep.
>> No. 19007 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 12:27 pm
19007 spacer
I don't think anyone posting about emulation here is qualified to talk about how easy it is to achieve on the PS4. If you are you might want to give the lads at Sony a tip because by all accounts they're having a bit of trouble with it!
>> No. 19008 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 12:47 pm
19008 spacer
>>19007
>I don't think anyone posting about emulation here is qualified to talk about how easy it is to achieve on the PS4.

I'd agree, but then we'd both be wrong.
>> No. 19009 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 1:06 pm
19009 spacer
>>19004

Isn't the emulation software of the original ps3 an actual ps2 slim inside of it? So yeah, kind ov m8eroony.
>> No. 19012 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 2:02 pm
19012 spacer
>>19008
The bsnes guy might want a word with you about that. Emulation is easy if you assume the devs implemented everything correctly. Unfortunately trusting games devs not to rely on unspecified behaviour is like trusting England to win on penalties.
>> No. 19013 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 2:04 pm
19013 spacer
>>19012
Yeah, emulation software for a decade-old console must be so fucking difficult to implement.
>> No. 19014 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 2:40 pm
19014 spacer
>>19013
Feel free to show us your own efforts. Alternatively stop acting as if you know what you're talking about.
>> No. 19015 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 2:48 pm
19015 spacer
>>19014
Oooh, a scary ultimatum from some corporate apologist, I'm shaking.
>> No. 19016 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 3:26 pm
19016 spacer
>>19015
I don't know what's apologetic about Sony doing what they want with their own products.
>> No. 19017 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 3:37 pm
19017 spacer
>>19016

I doubt you'll change his opinion, after all it's his Playstation isn't it mister?
>> No. 19018 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 3:49 pm
19018 spacer
>>19016

They don't own the vast majority of the software, they distribute it under license. Which means the Publishers and the Developers are complicit in this fucking charade.

>doing what they want with their own products.

To reiterate an early point made by someone ese in this thread, I'm sure you'll agree Monsanto are perfectly innocent businessmen protecting their IPs when they sue farmers into the ground for daring to grow crops with seed not bought from then within a mile of a farm they own?

I mean, what if there was cross contamination and that filthy thief decided to re-use his seed instead of buying more from them and ended up growing their seed, THEIR SEED, by accident?! The fucking horror, I'm sorry I had to share that scenario I'm sure you are sweating into your Sony branded underwear right now.
>> No. 19020 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 4:38 pm
19020 spacer
Strange argument you're all having. Sony are potentially going to move their shitty, overpriced emulator service to a rental/streaming-only affair, is that it? I'm surprised anyone even noticed, much less gave a fuck about it. There's usually so many alternative ways to play the classics (buy the game and a PS1/PS2, buy the game on PS3, download the ISO and get a chipped console/use a free emulator etc), why are you all getting so worked up about this? It's particularly weird seeing people saying they're going to flog their console because of it - "not being able to play retro games in quite the manner I was expecting" doesn't feel like it'd be a dealbreaker to me if I owned a PS4.

>>19003
>PS1s in particular are hard to come by.
Haha, what? I still see them at car boots, even bought one for £2, though admittedly that was a year or two back. There's loads around, anyway, ~500 of them on ebay right now.

>There is going to be a massive video games crash again
I've been reading this for the last decade and a half. Still no crash.

>>19013
>Yeah, emulation software for a decade-old console must be so fucking difficult to implement.
If you think PS2 emulation is easy then you really have no idea what you're talking about.
>> No. 19021 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 4:43 pm
19021 spacer
>>19020
>If you think PS2 emulation is easy then you really have no idea what you're talking about.
Right, yeah, I guess it was so hard to provide for the PS3 Sony have to take a breather and send the emulator specialists on a 4-year sabbatical to the Caribbean to prevent them burning out.
>> No. 19024 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 4:50 pm
19024 spacer
>>19021
PS2 BC was provided in the PS3 mostly through hardware, not emulation.
>> No. 19026 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 4:59 pm
19026 spacer
>>19020

It isn't just the classics though, they are moving everything that isn't a PS4 title behind the PS Now pay wall, the classics are just the example being thrown around the most because they had a cross platform license that has effectively been rescinded for the PS4. You can't even trade up from the PS3 version to a PS4 version for a fee like from the Wii to the Wii U, once the PS3 support gets dropped all those games are gone.

You no longer own any of these titles, you just rent them. It is a horrible idea and is anti-consumer as it takes control out of the hands of the user and puts it squarely in the lap of Sony.

Using the screen posted in this thread of $29.99 price tag for a 90 day rental of FF XIII, what do you have to show for your money at the end of that 90 days? A dent in your bank balance and that is it. Even if I completed it, I would have to pay another rental fee to revisit it. It is pure profiteering.

That is why I'll be getting shot of it, because I don't want to support a service that actively seeks to restrict your access to media in such a way. If I can't buy the stuff, if I don't own it I'm not paying them a penny. It is only a matter of time before they stop supporting the PS3 and then all those purchases will be effectively voided and money down the drain and to play them again I'll have to rent them.

CeX can have it and sell it to a young gullible fella who doesn't mind paying for Netflix: Games edition.
>> No. 19027 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 5:07 pm
19027 spacer
>>19024

On the original release model, yes. Later models couldn't play them at all and the functionality to play them was patched in via a firmware update. It started with patching in functionality to play the PS2 Singstar games from disk and led to a pretty impressive back catalogue of PS2 games on the store. They put a lot of work into PS2 software emulation and it paid off. What is stopping them using it for PS4 other than the fees they are wanting for the rentals?

Are they wanting the R&D money recouped? Regardless, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to buy them outright. That is the central issue here.
>> No. 19028 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 5:11 pm
19028 spacer
>>19027

Maybe they need to figure out a way to emulate a PS3 that can then use the PS3 PS2 emulation software.
>> No. 19029 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 5:20 pm
19029 spacer
>>19026
>You can't even trade up from the PS3 version to a PS4 version for a fee like from the Wii to the Wii U
Whilst the Wii and Wii U are broadly comparable under the hood the PS3 and PS4 are fundamentally different, any game programmed (solely) for the PS3 will need substantial work to get it going on PS4. This is not free, so of course anyone who does so is probably going to try and recoup their costs, and that means cross-platform licences go out the window. The alternative is not porting it.

Fair enough though, if it's that big a deal for you then at least you're putting your money where your mouth is.
>> No. 19031 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 5:25 pm
19031 spacer
>>19029

The Wii and Wii U are totally different, lad. Wii U is on x86 architecture same as the other Gen 8 consoles, it just isn't as powerful. It has the equivalent of a Radeon HD 4850 in it, which isn't much but is a damn site better than the Wii which was basically a Gamecube with more RAM.
>> No. 19032 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 5:26 pm
19032 spacer
Who else is excited for The Last of Us 2? I'll be getting the season pass immediately.
>> No. 19033 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 5:31 pm
19033 spacer
>>19027
>Later models couldn't play them at all and the functionality to play them was patched in via a firmware update. It started with patching in functionality to play the PS2 Singstar games from disk and led to a pretty impressive back catalogue of PS2 games on the store.
I'd imagine they're basically ports, or highly optimised custom emulators with lots of game-specific hacks.

>What is stopping them using it for PS4 other than the fees they are wanting for the rentals?
The Cell CPU is very different to the x86 that replaced it in the PS4. They'd have to throw pretty much all their code out the window and start from scratch.
>> No. 19034 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 5:37 pm
19034 spacer
>>19031
>The Wii and Wii U are totally different, lad. Wii U is on x86 architecture same as the other Gen 8 consoles, it just isn't as powerful.
Not true. Go do your research.

>It has the equivalent of a Radeon HD 4850 in it, which isn't much but is a damn site better than the Wii which was basically a Gamecube with more RAM.
Wii U has functionality built into the CPU/GPU to scale back to the older designs to retain compatibility with older titles; Wii/Wii U are further apart than the Gamecube/Wii in performance but the Wii U is still very much a direct descendent. (Also, it's "damn sight".)
>> No. 19035 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 5:38 pm
19035 spacer
>>19033

Some of them will have PC ports though, like FF VII and Max Payne, etc. Why are they removing the ability to buy the games, though? It is a bloody con, I'm really bugged by it.

I think I'm going to mostly avoid this generation of consoles and maybe just get a Wii U for Zelda when that evetually materialises, but I think I'll just spend the money I would have spent on a PS4 on a new graphics card.

This thread has put me off.
>> No. 19036 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 5:40 pm
19036 spacer
>>19035
Mission accomplished!
>> No. 19037 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 5:42 pm
19037 spacer
>>19032
Man I hope they go with TLoU2 rather than a new Crash Bandicoot game or whatever. I'm pretty excited to see what the "Remastered" edition of the first game looks like, too.
>> No. 19038 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 5:47 pm
19038 spacer
>>19035
>Some of them will have PC ports though, like FF VII and Max Payne, etc.
The source code to the PC version of FFVII may well be lost to time, and even if it isn't, who knows whether it'd be any use - it'd be ancient at this point, and probably full of proprietary middleware (for the sound engine/FMV playback etc). Same with Max Payne, although I know Rockstar ported it to Android recently so I dare say they'd be in a better position.

>Why are they removing the ability to buy the games, though?
Fuck knows. Is that actually confirmed?
>> No. 19040 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 5:57 pm
19040 spacer
>>19034

2GB DDR3, Tri-Core PowerPC "Espresso" CPU and an AMD "Latte" 550 MHz GPU with 320 shaders vs... I can't find Wii or GC stats for some reason, my google fu is weak today.

So, are IBM CPUs not x86? I am not that savvy when it comes to the specifics of how these things work.
>> No. 19041 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 6:00 pm
19041 spacer
>>19038

Pretty much confirmed, I'd say. All the screens available from the beta are sans a buy it option and there are a few up online at this point all showing the same UI without the option to buy, so I doubt they're fakes.
>> No. 19042 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 6:03 pm
19042 spacer
>>19040
>So, are IBM CPUs not x86?
Nope. It's an IBM PowerPC CPU, much like the Xbox 360's, and of the same lineage as what used to be in Mac PCs/laptops before they made the jump to x86 in 2006 or so.
>> No. 19043 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 6:07 pm
19043 spacer

hmmm.jpg
190431904319043
>>19032
>>19037

It was good, but not good enough to buy it twice... Do Naughty Dog even own the Crash IP nowadays?
>> No. 19044 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 6:07 pm
19044 spacer
>>19042

Interesting. Thanks for explaining that.
>> No. 19045 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 6:52 pm
19045 spacer
>>19018
Yeah people having their lives being ruined by crippling lawsuits is exactly comparable to you not being able to play old games exactly how you want to on every console.

Do you read this shit before you post it mate?
>> No. 19046 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 6:59 pm
19046 spacer
>>19045

The are just doing what the want to do with their product, what is your problem?
>> No. 19047 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:00 pm
19047 spacer
>>19045
It's the same principle - letting corporations get away with exploitative bullshit. The stakes are different but the underlying mechanics are the same.

Maybe you should read your own shit before you post it, you dick.
>> No. 19048 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:07 pm
19048 spacer
>>19047
Nobody's exploiting you for fuck sake. You have no idea how the streaming service is going to work and it has been pointed out to you several times that native emulation on PS4 is being worked on anyway.
>> No. 19049 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:10 pm
19049 spacer
>>19045

Ah, the "EA defense"

There are much worse companies than us, guys! God, you're all so entitled! All we are trying to do is raise awareness for bi-gendered, non-cis queerians! Please buy Battlefield 4...

Actually, I could go on at length about the EA LGBT smokescreen fronted by Bioware. It is fucking offensive.
>> No. 19050 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:12 pm
19050 spacer
>>19048

You aren't replying to who you think you are, i.e. me. Looks like you've annoyed someone else enough that they cracked.
>> No. 19051 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:15 pm
19051 spacer
>>19049
Except I'm not the one who brought worse companies up, dickhead.
>> No. 19053 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:17 pm
19053 spacer
>>19050
So you're not the only self-entitled manchild complaining on the internet about your mistreatment at the hands of videogame companies? That's a shocker.
>> No. 19054 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:18 pm
19054 spacer
I didn't think console brand-fanboys still existed, I thought we'd all be able to see past their rampant bullshit by now. Apparently not.
>> No. 19055 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:19 pm
19055 spacer
>>19051

>dickhead

If you are going to be a histrionic arsehole, we can just stop for a while till you dry your eyes. Yeah? Bless.

I drew parallels because the principle is the same, that one involves video games and one farmers is irrelevant. You were the one that attempted to differentiate based on what was worse, not me. Hence, the "EA Defense" which was trotted out when they were voted the worst company in America two years running.
>> No. 19056 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:21 pm
19056 spacer
>>19054
The only console I own is a DS Lite. I couldn't give a fuck about Sony. Try again mate.
>> No. 19057 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:22 pm
19057 spacer
>>19054

There is a, and I really do wish I was kidding, actual real life Sony Defense Force.

They have their own website. I reckon this guy is probably a member.
>> No. 19058 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:24 pm
19058 spacer
>>19056

>"Sony Defense Force Rule 1: Deflect criticism by claiming to be from a rival camp. "I don't even own a console, I only play on Nintendo handhelds."
>> No. 19059 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:25 pm
19059 spacer
>>19056
You own a DS and you're calling other people a manchild? That's tragic comedy.
>> No. 19060 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:26 pm
19060 spacer
>>19055
You literally compared a minor inconvenience to how you play videogames to people having their lives ruined, and you're calling me histrionic. Sometimes there are no words.
>> No. 19061 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:27 pm
19061 spacer
>>19056

For someone who doesn't give a fuck about Sony, you just spent a hell of a lot of time defending their corporate business practises.
>> No. 19062 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:29 pm
19062 spacer
>>19060

>minor inconvenience

Haha, oh my.

"Hand over the fucking money, or the Bandicoot gets it!"
>> No. 19063 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:32 pm
19063 spacer
>>19058
I didn't say I play on Nintendo handhelds. I own one in a drawer somewhere. The only actual games I play nowadays are on PC if you're really interested.

Is it really so unimagineable to you that there doesn't have to be an internet-wide conspiracy against you, and you might just be coming across as unreasonable?

>>19059
Boy you got me there. Don't know how I'll recover from that one.
>> No. 19064 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:33 pm
19064 spacer
>>19059

Hey, woah! Nothing wrong with the DS, friend. Be reasonable! For the love of god, be reasonable!

Some of the best RPGs of last gen were on it.
>> No. 19065 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:35 pm
19065 spacer

poke-olymp-bigguy[1].jpg
190651906519065
>>19064
I was lashing out a bit, but there's no denying that 'playing a handheld games console' is a staple of the manchild trope.

I used to own one but it broke when I was 17.
>> No. 19066 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:35 pm
19066 spacer
>>19063

You just did exactly what he implied you were doing again by stating you game on PC.

Next you'll be telling us you don't even own a television, you pretentious twat.
>> No. 19067 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:37 pm
19067 spacer
>>19061
I can't deny that. I just mentioned that I think cloud gaming has a decent future and not many people give much of a shit about backwards compatibility and things kind of spiralled out of control!
>> No. 19068 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:41 pm
19068 spacer
>>19066
Since when has PC gaming been pretentious?

I don't personally. There's one in our front room, but it actually belongs to the landlord. Oh shit, it's a Bravia. Rumbled.
>> No. 19069 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:45 pm
19069 spacer
>>19068

Don't start straw manning, for Christ's sake. How long have people not been getting that reference? What fucking year is this?
>> No. 19070 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 7:47 pm
19070 spacer
>>19060
Why are you such a cunt? Do you work for Sony?
>> No. 19074 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 8:34 pm
19074 spacer
Well.

This escalated quickly.
>> No. 19080 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 8:58 pm
19080 spacer
>>19074

It's been a lovely, sunny day, video game types don't like that sort of thing. The smell of BBQ's, the sounds of laughter, bloody glare, it's a right pin to the urethra when you're trying to level grind.

Pin.To.The.Urethra.
>> No. 19081 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 9:14 pm
19081 spacer
>>19080
You've been reading too much Crossed lad.
>> No. 19083 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 10:27 pm
19083 spacer
>>19081

It's weird I'm a minority in finding comic-ised snuff films being so popular, umm, weird.
>> No. 19084 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 10:38 pm
19084 spacer
>>19083
I thought they were just shitty.
Horsecock was funny though.
>> No. 19085 Anonymous
23rd June 2014
Monday 11:04 pm
19085 spacer
Hurrah, I leave this place for one day and miss yet another fifty-post cunt-off, and all because some prick has difficulty accepting the twin realities that demanding payment for something that's already been paid for is a cunt's trick, and hardware-accurate emulation is so fucking hard sometimes it's cheaper to just put the guts of what you're emulating inside the box.

Never change, .gs. Never change.

Return ] Entire Thread ] First 100 posts ] Last 50 posts ]
whiteline

Delete Post []
Password