[ rss / options / help ]
post ]
[ b / iq / g / zoo ] [ e / news / lab ] [ v / nom / pol / eco / emo / 101 / shed ]
[ art / A / beat / boo / com / fat / job / lit / map / mph / poof / £$€¥ / spo / uhu / uni / x / y ] [ * | sfw | o ]
logo
technology
Subject   (new thread)
Message
File  [] []
close
whiteline
11.png
231392313923139
>> No. 23139 Anonymous
24th September 2014
Wednesday 10:35 am
23139 Opera Silliness
I keep getting this nonsense when I try to access FunChan (purely for espionage purposes of course).

It only seems to effect Opera, and only for the last week or so. I've added 4Chan to the "secure websites" list that Opera has, but it doesn't seem to give a shit.

Is there anyway to just outright stop this crap, 4Chan isn't the only website I've seen effected, just the only one I use regularly.
4 posts omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 23144 Anonymous
24th September 2014
Wednesday 12:44 pm
23144 spacer
>>23142
Then he should've said "4chan isn't the only website that has effected change in this browser" or something like that. It doesn't make sense as written.
>> No. 23146 Anonymous
24th September 2014
Wednesday 1:46 pm
23146 spacer
>>23145
> This post is already in the report list
Top work otherlad.
>> No. 23153 Anonymous
25th September 2014
Thursday 4:32 am
23153 spacer
>>23146
Either you're Purple, Purple posted it, or Purple is reporting it to himself. I'm not Purple, I didn't post it, and I'm not you.


Four.
>> No. 23160 Anonymous
25th September 2014
Thursday 4:06 pm
23160 spacer
>>23139

What opera version are you using? Old (12.x) versions (with the Presto engine) seem to possibly now have out of date root certs, meaning HTTPS is now broken. If you're seeing this is new (Chromium-based) Opera then I really have no idea what's up.
>> No. 23163 Anonymous
25th September 2014
Thursday 6:48 pm
23163 spacer

dont_let_him_in_review.jpg
231632316323163
>>23153
ITZ

whiteline
BxG-Ub-CEAAvDvi.jpg-medium.jpg
231262312623126
>> No. 23126 Anonymous
17th September 2014
Wednesday 2:25 pm
23126 spacer
Hello both of you. It's IOS 8 day, as if you cared.
6 posts and 1 image omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 23148 Anonymous
24th September 2014
Wednesday 4:00 pm
23148 spacer
>>23147
I'd be careful if I were you. Apple have a trademark on the letter "i" - they even sued when people used iScotland in referendum coverage, because it may have caused confusion with its own products which were mostly white, cost too much and typically didn't work.
>> No. 23150 Anonymous
24th September 2014
Wednesday 4:50 pm
23150 spacer
>>23148

Only difference between the two is that one runs on electricity and the other runs at the first sight of polis.
>> No. 23151 Anonymous
24th September 2014
Wednesday 9:51 pm
23151 spacer
DA NU IPHONE IS 4 BUMDERZ M8

ITS WELL BENT LOL
>> No. 23152 Anonymous
24th September 2014
Wednesday 10:04 pm
23152 spacer
Absolutely irrelevant to the thread, I'm sure, but I was using Lumosity on my phone recently, a pretty little app designed as one of those 'brain trainers'. As I was dutifully solving arithmetic tests and swiping in the correct direction that a cluster of little virtual leaves drifting on a stream were pointing (not moving), I thought of a comment made by Brooker in an ancient article for the Guardian before he, too, sold himself to Apple products . He was talking about Macs, but I think this extends to a lot of tech including smartphones; they really are Fisher-Price play centres for adults. I now use my phone to inform me of meetings, tasks, check communications with people, to manage my finances, and it's all presented to me with lovely colours and sounds. I'm not sure I like the 'gamification' of my entire life.

The latest set of ads where Apple try to present the act of making music as another product also irks the shit out of me. The enrichment that music can bring to your life is in the creative act itself, not in the means you use to make it. In fact, the only person I know who downloaded 'MyFitnessPal' hasn't been to the gym with me since March. Beware the mindtrickery of these little machines, they can convince you that you're doing something when all you've actually done is blown smoke up your own arse.

Massive sageru for talking about nothing in particular.
>> No. 23159 Anonymous
25th September 2014
Thursday 3:28 pm
23159 spacer
>>23152
> I'm not sure I like the 'gamification' of my entire life
I concur.
> Beware the mindtrickery of these little machines, they can convince you that you're doing something when all you've actually done is blown smoke up your own arse.
As my older bro has always been saying, 'If you are going to do something, do it, don't waste your time on nonsensical banter and shite'.

whiteline
looplength.png
230862308623086
>> No. 23086 Anonymous
7th September 2014
Sunday 4:52 am
23086 spacer
Good morning, you two.

I am soon to move. My new home is a whopping two miles straight-line from the exchange. According to Sam, I should be set for BT fibre, but it would appear that Virgin's availability checker is sleeping off a massive bender so while I know there's cable I don't know which service levels it's capable of sustaining. I'm assuming that at this great distance my ADSL speed would be on par with treacle, so I'm effectively limited to BT Infinity or Virgin. Am I right in thinking this? If so, which of them is less shit? Decent upload speed appreciated, but more important is not being tied into crap hardware (e.g. the BT Home Hub that's being left behind because it insists on periodically going into a coma or telling clients they're still associated while refusing to actually handle any data).
1 post omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 23088 Anonymous
7th September 2014
Sunday 10:59 am
23088 spacer

btspeedcheck.png
230882308823088
>>23087
That's refreshing to know. But then I went and put both old home and new home into BT's availability checker and got picrelated. Looks like I can get 80/20 where I am, but not where I'm going. I can only assume I've managed to not only find somewhere that's miles from the exchange but also miles from the cabinet. On the upside, someone has apparently within the last month done speed checks via Uswitch and recorded 30/4 on BT, against 35/3 on Virgin (admittedly it doesn't reveal what package they were on, though I'm working on the assumption that it doesn't matter much if that's the result).

FWIW, while looking around, I did see some flyers for Hyperoptic, who would install their own fibre, but it seems that for where I'm living they're still only at the EOI stage, and so I'd have to tie myself up with someone else for at least a year.
>> No. 23089 Anonymous
7th September 2014
Sunday 11:18 am
23089 spacer
>>23086

Well, Virgin let you use your own router if that makes a difference. Belkin are quite good in that regard, never had an issue that couldn't be solved by Virgin's tech team as they "unofficially" support Belkin routers.

I don't know how it would work on BT.
>> No. 23090 Anonymous
7th September 2014
Sunday 11:58 am
23090 spacer
>>23088
Hmm ... on closer inspection, it seems that part of this is because I'm on the top floor, as BT's checker tells me that the ground-floor flats can get 80/20. FFS ...
>> No. 23091 Anonymous
7th September 2014
Sunday 1:14 pm
23091 spacer
>>23090

It could be that BT's checker is trying to guess the length of street by your number, it might be trying to assume that you're the other end of the street and an extra half a mile away.
Or it could possibly be that the flats have shitty internal wiring.
>> No. 23125 Anonymous
14th September 2014
Sunday 8:23 pm
23125 spacer
Having been in the new flat, it appears the previous tenant was a Virgin customer. In general, they didn't do a very good job of moving out, and have left the boxes behind. There was no brick for the TiVo, but the Superhub still worked, and the default passwords applied. Anyway, SpeedTest told me it was giving about 40Mbit down and 2Mbit up. There is also a communal aerial point, but this was initially installed by Virgin and apparently hasn't worked in about a year or so, with no estimate on getting it fixed (ever). That narrows my options somewhat. Apparently I can get a rather substantial broadband/TV/phone bundle for £45pm (+ line rental), which seems cheaper than some of fibre offerings (where I've seen prices of around £60pm + line rental quoted). In general, do I assume that when evaluating the BT FTTC that I can essentially take service from practically any ISP advertising "fibre" services? On a related note, I'm disappointed at the lack of anything that allows me to compare ISPs on anything other than price, or to bung in some features and see what fits. For instance, I can't find a comparison site that would let me exclude ISPs that have stupidly small limits (1GB/month? On a 40Mbit line in 2014? Really?), and none of them provide any kind of comparison on traffic management policies, etc.

On a /101/ side note, I have just seen a comparison site that lists providers with allowances of "unlimited" and "truly unlimited". Why the ASA never clamped down on that nonsense years ago I'll never know.

whiteline
red_apple_on_tree_1.jpg
230972309723097
>> No. 23097 Anonymous
9th September 2014
Tuesday 12:03 am
23097 spacer
It's about to drop
12 posts omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 23118 Anonymous
10th September 2014
Wednesday 3:55 am
23118 spacer
>>23116

That. Japan uses a lot of weird proprietary technology which tends not to be well-supported by international brands. It's not that Japanese consumers are luddites, but that they demand a unique set of features. The iPhone has done relatively well, mainly due to fashion, but Android adoption has been very slow. The Android market in Japan is dominated by local brands like Sony and Sharp, who produce handsets specifically for the domestic market.

Mobile data is relatively expensive in Japan (partly due to the dominance of the old monopoly NTT, partly due to the difficulty of providing good coverage in a country with such an unevenly-distributed population), which has slowed the adoption of modern web technologies; The Japanese mobile internet is still dominated by i-Mode services, which are very bandwidth-efficient.

To give a couple of examples of the Galapagos effect:

Japan has a very well-developed mobile TV system. Most of their featurephones have a 1seg receiver, which allows you to watch live TV on your phone. Because it's a broadcast system, coverage is excellent and it works well in crowded areas where 3G bandwidth would be too saturated for streaming, or on fast trains where 3G would break up.

Contactless technology is ubiquitous in Japan and works in nearly all shops, on vending machines and on public transport; It's also used for things like library cards and workplace identity passes. Their contactless system isn't compatible with NFC and so only works with Japanese phones.
>> No. 23120 Anonymous
10th September 2014
Wednesday 4:19 am
23120 spacer
>>23116
>>23118
That's impressive. In some ways, their galapagos phones seem better than smartphones.
>> No. 23122 Anonymous
10th September 2014
Wednesday 1:08 pm
23122 spacer
>>23120
One benefit of the NTT monopoly that >>23118 mentioned is that they got this stuff early; if you're the only game in town you tend to have the resources and clout to quite quickly roll out broad new technologies. I remember being shown impressive 3D games on relatively cheap NTT DoCoMo handsets circa 2004, back when we were still pissing around with glorified versions of Snake, and I'm told they had 3G internet back in 2001. Then, as is so often the case with holders of a monopoly position, stagnation set in; a friend of mine in 2009 or so was bemoaning the fact that the phones in Japan just weren't getting any better whilst the smartphone revolution was soaring abroad, and it sounds like that transition has been pretty painful and isn't nearly over yet.
>> No. 23123 Anonymous
10th September 2014
Wednesday 2:08 pm
23123 spacer
>>23122

Miles ahead to miles behind.

The French had a similar situation with Minitel, a computer terminal system launched by France Télécom in 1982. It was a proto-internet service, providing dial-up access to a variety of information services including banking and mail order shopping.

Takeup was massive, because the telecoms monopoly gave away the terminals for free with the expectation of recouping the cost with per-minute usage charges. This worked, and by the 1990s they were making hundreds of millions a year from Minitel; Unsurprisingly, efforts to roll out broadband were rather hampered by the fear of killing their golden goose.

Japan is doubly hampered by its weird business culture, that is hugely hostile to foreign companies and where most companies seem to behave like arthritic old monopolies. Japanese businesses are still reliant on fax machines, for crying out loud:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/14/world/asia/in-japan-the-fax-machine-is-anything-but-a-relic.html
>> No. 23124 Anonymous
10th September 2014
Wednesday 2:54 pm
23124 spacer
>>23123
>Faxes continue to appeal to older Japanese, who often feel uncomfortable with keyboards, experts say.
I've often wondered how much of an impact this has had on Japan, and for other similar logographic written languages that don't lend themselves naturally to computer keyboards.

whiteline
scrn-rambam.png
230682306823068
>> No. 23068 Anonymous
5th September 2014
Friday 4:13 pm
23068 Rambam's talk at HOPE X
Kinda late but nonetheless. In case some of you haven't seen it.
Long (2 hours and 20 minutes, plus 18 minutes of Q&A) but IMO worth it. Creepy too.

He talks mostly about surveillance facilitated by private sector, focussing on the so-called open-source intelligence and emphasising there is no difference between the government and corporate surveillance — the former being outsourced to the latter and other data from the latter may be gathered by the former with or without a warrant/subpoena. He also mentions Snowden's material and covers some of the not so recent stuff. The conclusion is not very bright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNZrq2iK87k
6 posts and 1 image omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 23083 Anonymous
7th September 2014
Sunday 12:38 am
23083 spacer
Saw this a while ago.

What I love is how ten years ago this was tinfoil hat crazy talk. Nowadays it's commonplace fact.

And to think we are only on the iceberg tip. This technology is only going to get more advanced and more integrated with society. I'm not sure I like the shape of the future.
>> No. 23084 Anonymous
7th September 2014
Sunday 12:48 am
23084 spacer
>>23083

Don't worry, a decade or two of pseudo-fascistic hell and then the oil run out and make the whole thing unsustainable.
>> No. 23085 Anonymous
7th September 2014
Sunday 12:50 am
23085 spacer
>>23083
He has apparently been giving this same talk with the same slides for twenty years. Each time he gets to add more details.
>> No. 23092 Anonymous
7th September 2014
Sunday 4:22 pm
23092 spacer
>>23085
Well, I certainly remember reading a transcript of at least one of them.
>>23083
Agreed.
One particularly ugly problem is when you cannot afford not to to give in to something, although it may be presented as if you 'have a choice'. Say, the public buys into this recent 'Quantified Self' HealthKit-type hype and starts to meticulously track themselves and their state. Of course, the data flows everywhere, from doctors to marketers and insurers. Then this tracking becomes mandatory—and you are fucked.

Not sure if not tin-foil but sage anyway.
>> No. 23098 Anonymous
9th September 2014
Tuesday 3:41 pm
23098 spacer
And, what was the last question in the Q&A? I couldn't discern it.

whiteline
youre-a-shit-cunt.jpg
230162301623016
>> No. 23016 Anonymous
27th August 2014
Wednesday 4:58 pm
23016 spacer
Is it just me or is Firefox getting slower with every update?
9 posts and 1 image omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 23063 Anonymous
3rd September 2014
Wednesday 10:45 pm
23063 spacer
>>23024

If the chaps from that mobile phone thread are to be believed, it's because "waaahhh programming is like, so hard you guys".
>> No. 23064 Anonymous
3rd September 2014
Wednesday 11:08 pm
23064 spacer
>>23024

Firefox just don't have the development resources. They're a small and relatively underfunded open source project, competing against huge multinationals.

They have the oldest layout engine of any modern browser (Gecko, dating back to early 1997), which means dealing with a lot of legacy code. Maintaining old code is immeasurably harder than writing it from scratch. Gecko is also burdened by a lot of early engineering decisions that bloated the scope to be much more than 'just' a browser layout engine, which makes the architecture hugely overcomplicated.

Chrome is based on WebKit, which was the layout engine used by Apple for Safari. Their combined resources were vast, giving them a huge competitive advantage. Google recently forked their layout engine from the core WebKit branch, to further simplify and optimise the codebase. Chrome is a very young browser (launched in 2008), which means that the design is much more elegant than other browsers and benefits from a lot of lessons learned. Google also benefit from having some of the most brilliant computer scientists in the world working on Chrome, most notably Lars Bak, the genius who more or less single-handedly designed their JavaScript engine.
>> No. 23065 Anonymous
4th September 2014
Thursday 2:50 pm
23065 spacer
>>23064
Why don't Mozilla switch to WebKit? Didn't Opera do exactly that?
>> No. 23066 Anonymous
4th September 2014
Thursday 3:35 pm
23066 spacer
>>23064

WebKit is one of the worst code bases ever written. Blink is making leaps and bounds towards rectifying this, but it's going to take a while.

Chrome also involved a bunch of design decisions that sped things but weren't great for security (for example it's been a nightmare to get something approaching noscript functionality in Chrome), and instead relied far too much on the sandboxing aspect, which at least on Windows systems is a pretty terrible idea.
>> No. 23067 Anonymous
4th September 2014
Thursday 9:27 pm
23067 spacer
>>23063

Mate, playing with QBASIC as a child does not make you an authority on technology...

whiteline
GingerKids.png
230582305823058
>> No. 23058 Anonymous
1st September 2014
Monday 3:05 pm
23058 spacer
WTF is carrot browsing?
Expand all images.
>> No. 23059 Anonymous
1st September 2014
Monday 3:10 pm
23059 spacer
>>23058
Erm, browsing for carrots?

Maybe be a bit more specific?
>> No. 23060 Anonymous
1st September 2014
Monday 3:13 pm
23060 spacer
>>23059

Press F7 in Firefox.
>> No. 23061 Anonymous
1st September 2014
Monday 4:08 pm
23061 spacer
I've always mentally pronounced 'caret' with a silent 't'. So I suppose I learned something.
>> No. 23062 Anonymous
1st September 2014
Monday 10:24 pm
23062 spacer
You know how sometimes when you're reading erotic literature or britfa.gs/iq on the internet and you can't quite manipulate the mouse accurately with your left hand you use the up and down arrow keys to move the page up and down? Caret browsing exists solely to frustrate you when you try to do that by making the cursor act like the web page is a word document.

whiteline
6_drive_stencil_parking_lot__80143.1405319317.750..png
230532305323053
>> No. 23053 Anonymous
29th August 2014
Friday 6:04 pm
23053 spacer
I want to set up a full disk encryption on my laptop. I am using GNU/Linux and frequently work with virtual machines on it.

Will setting up FDE hinder i/o performance significantly? Are there any other drawbacks I might face?
Expand all images.
>> No. 23054 Anonymous
29th August 2014
Friday 6:22 pm
23054 spacer
>>23053

I work with VMs extensively and use LUKS full disk encryption on all my computers. I don't notice any slowdown at all.
>> No. 23055 Anonymous
29th August 2014
Friday 6:29 pm
23055 spacer
>>23053
I have the default FDE using xubuntu on my laptop, but don't use VMs much at all.

From what I have read it slows i/o a little (it has to decrypt everything as it goes) but not much to be bothered about from what I can see. I have a SSD though.
>> No. 23056 Anonymous
29th August 2014
Friday 10:15 pm
23056 spacer
The performance impact is negligible on most workloads. There are a few edge cases where performance can be seriously impacted, but they're rare enough as to be insignificant.

Do give some careful thought to key management, as errors in this regard can result in catastrophic data loss.
>> No. 23057 Anonymous
29th August 2014
Friday 10:23 pm
23057 spacer
>>23056
> The performance impact is negligible on most workloads. There are a few edge cases where performance can be seriously impacted, but they're rare enough as to be insignificant.

For the sake of curiosity, can you please elaborate?

whiteline
1024px-Vertex_2_Solid_State_Drive_by_OCZ-top_obliq.jpg
230402304023040
>> No. 23040 Anonymous
28th August 2014
Thursday 9:57 pm
23040 spacer
So I'm getting a little fed up with my laptop. It's mostly alright except that it takes an absolute age to boot into Windows and get shit running. I have a suspicion that the hard drive might be going as after just running an in-built diagnostic test on it everything came up fine except the HDD which just said FAIL and nothing more.

My idea is instead of buying another cheap laptop (because I'm a student and I can't afford no ultrabooks) I could try and build a desktop PC. I happen to have managed to blag myself a rather flashy 1TB SSD so I'm thinking if I can build a computer around this it might work out better value.

Just a couple of questions: firstly, is putting an SSD in an otherwise fairly standard PC akin to trying to fit a turbocharged V12 into a shitbox Saxo (i.e a stupid idea that will result in everything blowing up)? If not then what are the best resources to gauge cost and time for a complete beginner?
5 posts omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 23046 Anonymous
29th August 2014
Friday 4:05 am
23046 spacer
>>23044

Of course you can. If you upgrade everything apart from the hard drive, you're just putting the hard drive in a different computer, aren't you?
>> No. 23047 Anonymous
29th August 2014
Friday 6:45 am
23047 spacer
>>23045
>Is there some reason you wouldn't put the SSD in the laptop and save yourself the cost of the desktop?
This. Unless by some quirk of fate you've managed to somehow land yourself with a 3.5" unit, it should fit inside the laptop.
>> No. 23048 Anonymous
29th August 2014
Friday 8:54 am
23048 spacer
>in-built diagnostic test

Where/what is that?
>> No. 23051 Anonymous
29th August 2014
Friday 4:12 pm
23051 spacer
>>23046
It depends on the OS. Windows OEM copies, for instance, are tied to the motherboard, and wouldn't work in a different machine.
>> No. 23052 Anonymous
29th August 2014
Friday 5:16 pm
23052 spacer
>>23051
*actually of course it depends on lots of things, this was just an obvious one.

whiteline
Fart2.jpg
230362303623036
>> No. 23036 Anonymous
28th August 2014
Thursday 4:16 pm
23036 spacer
Locked
Why don't image boards like this let users edit thier posts? It's really annoying.

(A good day to you Sir!)
Expand all images.
>> No. 23037 Anonymous
28th August 2014
Thursday 4:17 pm
23037 spacer
* their posts
>> No. 23038 Anonymous
28th August 2014
Thursday 4:19 pm
23038 spacer

You_gonna_get_banned.jpg
230382303823038
>>23036
>> No. 23039 Anonymous
28th August 2014
Thursday 4:21 pm
23039 spacer
>>/shed/11391

whiteline
image.jpg
222372223722237
>> No. 22237 Anonymous
12th June 2014
Thursday 12:14 pm
22237 spacer
Is anyone else having trouble with Virgin Internet ever since the storms at the weekend? My internet is losing connection completely from about 7am to anywhere between 4 and 10pm every day. I have an engineer coming out at the weekend, but it's odd that they say it's not a problem on their end.
34 posts and 4 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 23028 Anonymous
27th August 2014
Wednesday 7:56 pm
23028 spacer
The biggest fuckoff is line rental. I pay Plusnet 9.99 a month for 19mb speed unlimited download which is yeah, ace, alright for me pal. 14.99 arssfuck for the privilige and I don't even use a landline phone. Fuckinlinerentalbastards.
>> No. 23031 Anonymous
27th August 2014
Wednesday 8:34 pm
23031 spacer
Now I have to wait two weeks before they send an engineer. I could easily join a new ISP in that time. Can they still charge me for 0.5 Mbps download speed when they promised 30+ Mbps?
>> No. 23033 Anonymous
28th August 2014
Thursday 12:55 pm
23033 spacer
>>23023
>>23031

Shoddy customer service. When I rang VM last week on Saturday or Sunday they put me down for a Tuesday appointment, that's even with the Monday having been a bank holiday. They apologised profusely for such a long delay and gave me a credit on my next bill to make up for the delay and service lost in the meantime. I'm not near the end of my contract either, so it wasn't just a sweetener, I've been with them for a good few years and I renewed for another year last month.
>> No. 23034 Anonymous
28th August 2014
Thursday 1:43 pm
23034 spacer
>>23033
I called them back today and I asked for my MAC code. I told them I was switching to VM because the two weeks it would take for Talktalk to send out an engineer, VM could set up a new FibreOptic for me. They started apologising and told me that they could send out an engineer tomorrow.

Why must everything be so difficult?
>> No. 23035 Anonymous
28th August 2014
Thursday 2:06 pm
23035 spacer
>>23034
Ofcom rules state that you should get a PAC within 2 (two) hours. When I got a new phone and needed it, Orange kept saying they need 24 hours. It is of course bollocks - they can generate the code there and then. Even worse, after spending 30 minutes arguing over it, the code they gave me was wrong anyway. I'd have been slightly less annoyed were I not just moving from one EE plan to another.

whiteline
obookmarkobookmark.png
230102301023010
>> No. 23010 Anonymous
24th August 2014
Sunday 4:14 pm
23010 Firefox Bookmark Menu
/g/ood afternoon.

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me. (I have searched but to no avail). Basically, I'd like the bookmark menu to display all of the folders I've set up and not just 5 most recently accessed under "Choose". I've got folders within the folders you can see and having to go through the "Choose" process is annoying.

It's purely a matter a convenience but if anyone can offer some insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

pic related.

whiteline
kryten.jpg
229132291322913
>> No. 22913 Anonymous
17th August 2014
Sunday 5:23 pm
22913 Smartphones.
Right, sorry tome make "one of those" threads, but it's time for me to get a new phone.

I've had a Galaxy SII for about 4 years now, gone through the initial contract and then another couple of years on a reduced tarriff just because I couldn't be arsed upgrading, but it might be time to get something flashier now. Problem is I have no idea what's out there.

Mainly I want something that's good as a music player. My main use apart from calling/texting people is for playing music over bluetooth in the car. After that, I suppose I'd like one that can play the fanciest games- What's the deal with those nVidia mobile graphics chips nowadays?

The only thing that's really important to me- And it's the main reason I haven't upgraded until now, actually- is the operating system. I hate the 3rd party bloat that comes with most Android phones now, my current phone was perfect right up until they forced it to upgrade to android 4.1, and after that I have hated it for the most part. I can't say that I enjoy the Apple interface either. Are Windows phones any better? Or are there any phones still out there that come with a completely vanilla, bloat-free Android installation? Or can you still "jailbreak" phones and do what you like with them?

I really don't know, just, give me recommendations if you please, chaps.
54 posts and 2 images omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 22996 Anonymous
23rd August 2014
Saturday 12:45 am
22996 spacer
>>22988
I don't think it's surprising that they're not going to go out of their way to make it easy for people to fuck around with things they don't intend to be fucked around with.

>>22990
>I basically concluded on the Sony because like I said, I will mainly want to use it for music, and I imagine the whole walkman lark will make that slightly more tolerable
Nope. There's nothing particularly phenomenal about the Z2's sound quality. It's about as good as you'd expect from a decent smartphone, no more, no less.

>But yeah I'm interested in the customisation aspect of CM- I'm the kind of person who never leaves my computer with the standard Windows theme, I always have to make it look nice and use custom icons and whatnot. I've seen threads on the other place where people have tricked their phones out in some very snazzy ways, is this what makes that possible?
That's nothing to do with CM. Stock Android is very much open to customisation with custom launchers and icons etc. Samsung have something called Touchwiz on top of the stock android interface which prevents you from easily messing around with it.

There isn't really any compelling reason for the average "power user" (ugh) to root their phone or install a custom ROM any more. It used to be mandatory if you wanted to get the most out of your phone, now it's the opposite: you're giving yourself the potential for serious headaches for not much reward. Even if you want the tweaks CM offers which you can't get through stock, the Xposed module Gravitybox allows you to access pretty much all of them with less fuss.

>The flaw with the Z2 is that it seems to be fucking massive
Honestly it doesn't sound like the Z2 is the phone for you at all. I'd suggest waiting for the Z2 compact, or picking up the Z1 compact now. Or getting a Moto G 4G, seeing as you really don't seem to need the higher end features those phones offer, and its OS is somewhat closer to stock.
>> No. 22997 Anonymous
23rd August 2014
Saturday 1:55 am
22997 spacer
>>22991

In what way? Going to have to be a bit more specific chap.

>>22996

Hmm, I see. Well that's food for thought- It seems I know less about these things than I had previously thought. Admittedly I am a complete ignorant cunt when it comes to Android as frankly I simply don't like it, I just accept that it's pretty much the only choice in mobiles right now.

The compact phones don't appeal to me much because the trend seems to be that the specs are cut down along with the size. I want something reasonably futureproof, so I seem to be stuck looking at the fucking massive shit they call "portable" nowadays. Funny how a few years ago it was the smaller the better.

Honestly the entire mobile market right now kind of disagrees with me. I really just don't like the way things have gone, so whatever I get, it's probably going to be a comprimise of features I do and don't like. Cheers for the advice anyway though lads.
>> No. 22998 Anonymous
23rd August 2014
Saturday 2:46 am
22998 spacer
>>22997

>The compact phones don't appeal to me much because the trend seems to be that the specs are cut down along with the size. I want something reasonably futureproof, so I seem to be stuck looking at the fucking massive shit they call "portable" nowadays. Funny how a few years ago it was the smaller the better.

Bigger is definitely better with modern phones. Old phones could be miniaturised because they did absolutely bugger all, so it didn't matter if they had a tiny screen and a puny battery. These days, screen size is vitally important because phones are typically used like mini-tablets; Bigger phones can cram in a much bigger battery, necessary for powering multi-core processors and 4G radios. Screen surface area increases with the square of the diagonal, so a 6" screen has 44% more area than a 5" screen and 224% more area than a 4" screen. Screen sizes have been progressively increasing as users have understood the value of having a big screen for web browsing, video watching and ebook reading.

The general rule is to go for the biggest phone that will fit your pockets and your hands. I prefer devices in the 6" class because I nearly always wear a blazer or suit jacket. Keeping a phone in your trouser pockets generally limits you to about 5", give or take half an inch. Most women struggle to get a secure grip on anything much bigger than 5" or at least that's what I keep telling my wife.

A lot of people find it useful to have a small, cheap second phone that they don't mind losing or breaking - a Samsung Galaxy Y or a basic Nokia makes an ideal phone for going out on the piss or going jogging with.

If you really don't care at all about screen size, then a touchscreen phone might not be the best choice; There is still a lot of merit in having a physical keyboard, as on a Blackberry.
>> No. 22999 Anonymous
23rd August 2014
Saturday 1:10 pm
22999 spacer
>>22990
>I basically concluded on the Sony because like I said, I will mainly want to use it for music, and I imagine the whole walkman lark will make that slightly more tolerable. I'm not even going to consider Samsung; despite being very happy with my SII, every model subsequenlty has been ugly, and the software crap (hated using my girlfriends S4).
I have an Experia E and it's rammed full of Sony shitware that can't be removed. If you're trying to dodge proprietary software I wouldn't go looking for a Sony smartphone.
>> No. 23000 Anonymous
23rd August 2014
Saturday 1:44 pm
23000 spacer
>>22997
>The compact phones don't appeal to me much because the trend seems to be that the specs are cut down along with the size. I want something reasonably futureproof, so I seem to be stuck looking at the fucking massive shit they call "portable" nowadays. Funny how a few years ago it was the smaller the better.
Not really with Sony. The Z1 compact was notable for going against trend and retaining an almost identical featureset to the Z1 in a smaller handset. The Z2 looks to do the same.

Also, when you say you want something futureproof, what do you mean? What is it you actually intend to do with your phone?

whiteline
Capture.jpg
229742297422974
>> No. 22974 Anonymous
22nd August 2014
Friday 3:15 pm
22974 spacer
Do any of the free audio editors have an autoplay feature on their open dialogue?
2 posts omitted. Expand all images.
>> No. 22977 Anonymous
22nd August 2014
Friday 3:24 pm
22977 spacer
>>22976
Oh, you might be screwed then. Ardour is a Linux/Mac only program.
>> No. 22978 Anonymous
22nd August 2014
Friday 3:29 pm
22978 spacer
I used to use SoundForge for one-click previewing of waves but my old bootlegs won't work on Windows 7 and it looks like newer versions are bloated monstrosities which are a lot of faffing about to crack (judging by torrent comments).
>> No. 22979 Anonymous
22nd August 2014
Friday 4:09 pm
22979 spacer
I've just found an obscure old piece of freeware which does it. It's called SampleTagger.
>> No. 22980 Anonymous
22nd August 2014
Friday 4:18 pm
22980 spacer
>>22974
Have you tried any of them? If so, have you Rd asking them to put that feature in?
>> No. 22982 Anonymous
22nd August 2014
Friday 4:52 pm
22982 spacer
>>22980

I tried Wavosaur and WaveShop and Wave Editor and none of them have it. I haven't asked anyone to put the feature in because I've only looked at the aforenamed programs very briefly so it's not like I have a particular loyalty to any one or its features.

I just wanted the most SoundForge-ish one really. I haven't even checked if you can zoom in and out with the arrow keys on the free ones or anything. I've not had cause to edit audio for months. I just had a load of samples I wanted to preview quickly.

whiteline
Delete Post []
Password  
[0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18]Next