[ rss / options / help ]
post ]
[ b / iq / g / zoo ] [ e / news / lab ] [ v / nom / pol / eco / emo / 101 / shed ]
[ art / A / beat / boo / com / fat / job / lit / map / mph / poof / £$€¥ / spo / uhu / uni / x / y ] [ * | sfw | o ]
logo
news

Return ]

Posting mode: Reply
Reply ]
Subject   (reply to 14869)
Message
File  []
close
These-Funny-Dog-Videos-Are-the-Break-You-Need-Righ.jpg
148691486914869
>> No. 14869 Anonymous
26th April 2018
Thursday 10:54 pm
14869 spacer
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/25/dogs-cannot-get-autism-british-veterinary-association-warns/

>Dogs cannot get ‘autism’, the British Veterinary Association has warned, after the ‘anti-vaccine’ movement spread to pets.

>'Anti-vaxxers' believe that immunisations have harmful side effects and may be the cause of autism in children - beliefs widely debunked by the medical community.[/i]

>This theory is increasingly being applied to pets, particularly in the US, and there are fears it is spreading to the UK and could cause already low vaccination rates to fall.

>The BVA said: “We are aware of an increase in anti-vaccination pet owners in the US who have voiced concerns that vaccinations may lead to their dogs developing autism-like behaviour.

>“But there is currently no scientific evidence to suggest autism in dogs or a link between vaccination and autism.”
Expand all images.
>> No. 14870 Anonymous
26th April 2018
Thursday 11:19 pm
14870 spacer
>>14869
Can we make anti-vaxxers live somewhere else, like some sort of thicko ethno-state where everyone has TB and no one knows what the spots on their kids mean?
>> No. 14873 Anonymous
27th April 2018
Friday 11:34 am
14873 spacer
>>14870

If we exiled everybody who believed in something daft there would be no one left.

Our society would never scientifically progress because some of the core ideas the evidence suggests are true are utterly bizarre (the floor isn't flat and it spins 'upside down' rather then the sun going round it). There are probably medicines out there right now having side effects that will get them banned when they are discovered but how are you going to allow the people who discover that to come forward when there is a multi million industry built on that drug and a culture that wants to send them to plague island for being crazy because they question the status quo?
>> No. 14875 Anonymous
27th April 2018
Friday 12:36 pm
14875 spacer
>>14873
Questioning the status quo only makes sense if the status quo is uncertain. We know that vaccines don't cause autism and we know that skipping vaccinations impairs herd immunity to the point where it's the 21st century and we still get fatal measles clusters in the UK.
>> No. 14876 Anonymous
27th April 2018
Friday 1:22 pm
14876 spacer
>>14875
That isn't how positivism works we don't know that vacines don't cause autism. We know that no correlation between the two has been established yet. The status quo is always uncertain in the scientific method, otherwise it wouldn't function.
>> No. 14877 Anonymous
27th April 2018
Friday 3:15 pm
14877 spacer
>>14876
>we don't know that vacines don't cause autism
No, we really do know that. It has been conclusively shown and the matter is settled.
>> No. 14878 Anonymous
27th April 2018
Friday 4:49 pm
14878 spacer
>>14877
That isn't how it works. We don't know for certain they don't cause autism. We just don't have any objective evidence it does.
>> No. 14879 Anonymous
27th April 2018
Friday 5:29 pm
14879 spacer
>>14878

There's no reason to believe that vaccines cause autism. There's no correlation, there's no plausible causal mechanism. It's perfectly reasonable to dismiss antivaxxers as irrational cranks.

>>14873

>There are probably medicines out there right now having side effects that will get them banned when they are discovered but how are you going to allow the people who discover that to come forward when there is a multi million industry built on that drug and a culture that wants to send them to plague island for being crazy because they question the status quo?

We're constantly looking for those effects through a huge international collaboration. Dozens of drugs have their warning labels changed or their market authorisation restricted every month based on a serious scientific effort to discover unexpected drug interactions and effects.

If anyone believes that a vaccine caused a case of autism, they're entitled to raise a concern through the MHRA's Yellow Card scheme, which will be fed into the WHO's pharmacovigilance database. A full-time team at the Uppsala Monitoring Centre analyse that data, looking for signals that might indicate a drug safety risk.

Those Yellow Card reports have been filed, the data is in VigiBase, multiple studies have been conducted and no link has been found. If anyone has data demonstrating that vaccines do indeed increase the risk of autism, then international action will be taken in a matter of weeks. Nobody has such data, but there are thousands of people who like to spend their free time slandering and intimidating scientists and clinicians based on their completely spurious beliefs.
>> No. 14880 Anonymous
27th April 2018
Friday 6:19 pm
14880 spacer
All dogs have autism. They chase their own fucking tails for fucks sake.
>> No. 14881 Anonymous
27th April 2018
Friday 6:49 pm
14881 spacer
>>14876
On the other hand we do positively know that the doctor who started this fiasco in the first place had a shitload of financial interests which would have profited him hugely had the MMR been officially withdrawn.
>> No. 14882 Anonymous
27th April 2018
Friday 6:59 pm
14882 spacer
>>14878
>That isn't how it works
Repeating yourself isn't going to make it correct, lad.
>> No. 14883 Anonymous
27th April 2018
Friday 7:19 pm
14883 spacer
>>14881
We also know he fiddled his numbers. He still makes a good living off the affair, appearing as a contributor on alleged news outlets like Fox News and RT, hawking his pseudodocumentary.
>> No. 14884 Anonymous
27th April 2018
Friday 7:22 pm
14884 spacer
>>14882

It doesn't make it any less correct. What makes it correct is that it it isnt how it works.

>>14879

If you agree with me why are you retorting?
>> No. 14885 Anonymous
27th April 2018
Friday 7:29 pm
14885 spacer
>>14884
>If you agree with me why are you retorting?

Because he's retorted.
>> No. 14887 Anonymous
27th April 2018
Friday 7:46 pm
14887 spacer
I was walking down the street and got hit in the face with a cake. I cleaned myself up but further down the street it happened again. Fucking retorted m8.
>> No. 14888 Anonymous
27th April 2018
Friday 7:52 pm
14888 spacer
>>14884
>What makes it correct is that it it isnt how it works
If you say so, babes.
>> No. 14891 Anonymous
27th April 2018
Friday 8:59 pm
14891 spacer
Why is it when you google "autistic dog" one of the top results is a bird that can bark?
>> No. 14892 Anonymous
27th April 2018
Friday 9:05 pm
14892 spacer
>>14884
>What makes it correct is that it it isnt how it works.
You might want to let the CDC know. Their summary of the evidence falls under the headings "Vaccines do not cause autism" and "Vaccine ingredients do not cause autism".

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/autism.html
>> No. 14894 Anonymous
27th April 2018
Friday 11:57 pm
14894 spacer
>>14892t

That isn't evidence that is a press release. The point is you can't prove a negative you can only say you haven't found a positive in science (ie we havent found any signs of x and we therefore believe there is no x) You can only go by the sample size you have and make presumptions. There might very well be yettis living in Nepal but since we have never seen objective evidence for them we presume there aren't. But to say we know there are no yettis would be inaccurate. The mmr might cause autism in 1 in 10 million people but since we have never observed that we presume it isn't true.
>> No. 14895 Anonymous
28th April 2018
Saturday 12:11 am
14895 spacer
>>14891

I don't know, but this is one of the first things it gave me.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsZGkTJuvvY

Looks to me like that particular dog is simply a little dim.
>> No. 14896 Anonymous
28th April 2018
Saturday 12:23 am
14896 spacer
>>14894
>The point is you can't prove a negative
FFS, not this bollocks again. Go away and learn how to reason.
>> No. 14897 Anonymous
28th April 2018
Saturday 12:28 am
14897 spacer
>>14895
If you keep collies as house pets and don't socialise them and exercise them properly they actually go insane.

I always get annoyed when I visit my friend with a collie and they let it out into the garden and call it a day. I always suggest we go for a walk and the dog is so calm afterwards they never fail to comment on it and I'm just like "... seriously? Have you ever walked this dog when I'm not here?"
>> No. 14898 Anonymous
28th April 2018
Saturday 8:03 am
14898 spacer
>>14897
This.

I would absolutely love to have a collie, but living on my own and spending 9 or more hours at at work and doing chores every day, there's just no way I could give any breed of dog the attention they need.
>> No. 14899 Anonymous
28th April 2018
Saturday 10:01 am
14899 spacer
>>14898

Get a cat then. They don't mind being left alone all day.

And most dogs go nuts if nobody's home all day. My neighbours in the flat downstairs have a poodle, and they work changing shifts at a factory here. Sometimes when they work late shift, I can hear their dog howl at their door from the inside all evening and it echoes through the whole building.
>> No. 14902 Anonymous
28th April 2018
Saturday 12:24 pm
14902 spacer
>>14899
Cats are shit.
>> No. 14903 Anonymous
28th April 2018
Saturday 1:03 pm
14903 spacer
>>14902

and why is that?
>> No. 14906 Anonymous
28th April 2018
Saturday 2:01 pm
14906 spacer
>>14899
You don't get a cat. The cat gets you. You're the help.
>> No. 14908 Anonymous
28th April 2018
Saturday 2:10 pm
14908 spacer
>>14906

I don't think that there's anything wrong with that. It shows that cats have many times more personality than dogs.
>> No. 14909 Anonymous
28th April 2018
Saturday 2:17 pm
14909 spacer
I personally like cats and dogs for different reasons as they're different animals with different behaviours. Have never really understood the need to pick a side and have pointless repetitive arguments about it online.
>> No. 14910 Anonymous
28th April 2018
Saturday 2:44 pm
14910 spacer
>>14909

It comes down to what kind of person you are.

I think I read somewhere once that people who tend to be more conformist and fixed in their views will usually prefer dogs. While non-conformist leaning people with a more independent and fluid view on life will largely prefer cats as pets.

When you think about it, dogs are really the ultimate conformist animals. Their whole existence is centered around obeying their owner and master. While cats just can't be arsed and will do whatever the fuck they please instead of doing anything that you expect of them.
>> No. 14911 Anonymous
28th April 2018
Saturday 3:01 pm
14911 spacer
>>14910

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/weird-news/cat-people-more-intelligent-than-dog-people-study-claims-9479741.html

>Much like their preferred animal, "cat people" are introverted, open-minded, non-conformist and just plain more intelligent than their canine loving counterparts, at least according to a new study.

I'm really not a good example of being "more intelligent", all things considered, but I have always preferred cats all my life.
>> No. 14914 Anonymous
28th April 2018
Saturday 4:32 pm
14914 spacer

2013-11-12-image-16.jpg
149141491414914
>>14909

Cats are aloof pricks, dogs are needy arseholes.

My pet never tears up the furniture, never barks at the postman and cleans up after itself.
>> No. 14915 Anonymous
28th April 2018
Saturday 5:57 pm
14915 spacer
>>14914
Women aren’t pets.
>> No. 14916 Anonymous
28th April 2018
Saturday 7:15 pm
14916 spacer
>>14909 >>14910
And here we see both types of person in action: the cat fancier starts the debates, the dog person just joins in out of a sense of duty.
>> No. 14917 Anonymous
28th April 2018
Saturday 8:20 pm
14917 spacer
>>14915
Of course. Pets should be allowed out of the kitchen.
>> No. 14918 Anonymous
28th April 2018
Saturday 10:34 pm
14918 spacer
>>14916

You've kind of guessed it the wrong way round. I'm >>14910 lad, and therefore the one who joined in. But I'm a complete cat person and would never ever get a dog.

Dogs somehow always seemed like dirty, unclean animals to me. Everything they do tends to smell pretty nasty, from the way they smell when they get wet, to the way they handle their faeces (cats at least have the decency to bury their dookies under some dirt) or what dog food smells like. And it's nowhere near as gross when a cat licks your face compared to a dog. Like, really, one of my mates used to have a Labrador, and he let the fucking thing slobber all over his face and give him "dog kisses".

It's not a dog's fault that he's a dog, but dogs just don't do anything for me.
>> No. 14919 Anonymous
29th April 2018
Sunday 12:37 am
14919 spacer
>>14918

Couldn't agree more.
>> No. 14922 Anonymous
30th April 2018
Monday 5:40 am
14922 spacer
>>14910
Is liking both (and rabbits to boot) why I'm an unstable mess then?

>>14918
>or what dog food smells like
I won't stand for this. Everything else is broadly true, or at least defensible, but dog food doesn't smell anywhere near as revolting as catfood. It looks worse, and it's more of a pain in the arse to get into the bowl (although it rarely splashes that disgusting jelly onto your hands.) but it doesn't smell anywhere near as strongly as what you give a cat.
>> No. 14923 Anonymous
30th April 2018
Monday 8:09 am
14923 spacer
I really like seeing the rabbits running wild around here (even though they're a pain in the arse), but I can't really see the pleasure in having them as pets.
Cats & dogs are sort of sentient, but rabbits, like fish & insects? More like captives than companions?
Then again, I'm getting sheep this week, so that'll be a new and different question - pet, or dinner? (Or both, I guess)
>> No. 14924 Anonymous
30th April 2018
Monday 8:49 am
14924 spacer
>>14923

I lived with a couple who had a rabbit as a pet, it wasn't as thick as you're making out. I'm not saying it could solve a puzzle like a Labrador could or work out how to get itself into the fridge to nick food like a cat can, but it was definitely more aware than a fish or an insect. It'd respond to its name and wander about the flat and all that.

I still sort of agree with you, mind, you could get a fluffier, docile cat and have much the same experience. They had to keep it in a pen that took up half their bedroom. Bit daft really.
>> No. 14925 Anonymous
30th April 2018
Monday 12:42 pm
14925 spacer
>>14924

I think rabbits are simply unremarkable animals. Cats and dogs are really personalities, they have character.

Each of the three family cats we had over the years while I was growing up had its distinct quirks and behaviours.

One of my exes had a pet rabbit, and it would just sit in its cage all day either asleep or munching on some lettuce leaves or carrots. That was basically all it ever did. Even when you let it out to run around the flat, it struck me as quite an unexciting kind of animal.
>> No. 14926 Anonymous
30th April 2018
Monday 1:56 pm
14926 spacer
>>14925

Cats sleep most of the day too, I don't think they're objectively more entertaining, and I say that as a cat person.

The cat I had as a kid was very active and friendly, mind, she was great. I think if I retire early I'll get a nice energetic dog though, and we'll go on adventures and that.
>> No. 14927 Anonymous
30th April 2018
Monday 2:31 pm
14927 spacer
>>14926

Fair point, but when cats aren't asleep, I find them massively entertaining.
>> No. 14928 Anonymous
30th April 2018
Monday 2:46 pm
14928 spacer
>>14925

If you ever look at a "funny rabbit video" on youtube, it will just be doing some extremely unfunny eating.

Return ]
whiteline

Delete Post []
Password