[ rss / options / help ]
post ]
[ b / iq / g / zoo ] [ e / news / lab ] [ v / nom / pol / eco / emo / 101 / shed ]
[ art / A / beat / boo / com / fat / job / lit / map / mph / poof / £$€¥ / spo / uhu / uni / x / y ] [ * | sfw | o ]
logo
news

Return ] Entire Thread ] First 100 posts ] Last 50 posts ]

Posting mode: Reply
Reply ]
Subject   (reply to 21041)
Message
File  []
close
_110636571_mediaitem110636567[1].jpg
210412104121041
>> No. 21041 Anonymous
24th January 2020
Friday 5:58 pm
21041 ITZ
Lads are you worried about the coronavirus?

I've purposely not read up about it. Mainly because the SARS, Swine Flu, Bird Flu and Ebola threat was over-hyped by the media. Prediction wise, I think after several months it will be contained and everyone will eventually forget about it.

What do you think?
Expand all images.
>> No. 21042 Anonymous
24th January 2020
Friday 6:04 pm
21042 spacer
>>21041
Dividing the death count in China by the confirmed cases count gives a mortality rate of 3%. Big deal.
>> No. 21043 Anonymous
24th January 2020
Friday 6:18 pm
21043 spacer

82831624_10218023601476176_8007484954478903296_n.jpg
210432104321043

>> No. 21044 Anonymous
24th January 2020
Friday 6:44 pm
21044 spacer
No, I'm not worried. Public health agencies are employing the precautionary principle because we don't properly understand the virus yet. It's overwhelmingly likely that coronavirus will be a damp squib, but acting on that assumption is a dangerous gamble. You put your seatbelt on even though you're not expecting to crash.
>> No. 21045 Anonymous
24th January 2020
Friday 7:29 pm
21045 spacer
>>21042
The death count we have no idea about because China is intentionally covering up and fudging the numbers. We have no idea of the scale of it in reality because of this and it's what the WHO has been struggling with on whether or not to declare an emergency. 3 cities have been quarantined, that's over 20 million already, people are collapsing in the street and hospitals are already struggling. China pretending nothing is happening is the real danger here, all news coming from locals are saying it's much worse than is being said.
>> No. 21048 Anonymous
24th January 2020
Friday 8:36 pm
21048 spacer
If you look at what China is actually doing, vs what they are saying, the situation looks slightly worse than they are letting on.
They say 830 cases, 26 dead. In action, they've quarantined 13 cities/36 million people, and they're knocking up hospitals in 5 days to deal with the sick. Not like they've got a history of covering stuff up.
>> No. 21052 Anonymous
24th January 2020
Friday 9:03 pm
21052 spacer
>>21048

26 deaths out of 1.4 billion people is still fuck all though, even if that number is massively understated. As mentioned in >>21044, the fact that they're acting decisively doesn't mean that they think that coronavirus is particularly dangerous, just that they're responding cautiously to the scientific uncertainty.
>> No. 21056 Anonymous
24th January 2020
Friday 9:41 pm
21056 spacer
Heads up, two cases have been confirmed in France. Best hope it's just the sniffles.
>> No. 21057 Anonymous
24th January 2020
Friday 9:45 pm
21057 spacer
>>21056
I, for one, don't even own a single day of food. It will be fine.
>> No. 21061 Anonymous
24th January 2020
Friday 11:26 pm
21061 spacer
AliExpress is showing some pretty big discounts at the moment. Sorry, lads.

>>21045
I'm sick of this. The WHO has confirmed that China has been entirely open and transparent about the epidemic which is partly why Coronavirus hasn't been declared an international public health emergency unlike Ebola.

Next you'll share that conspiracy theory that has immediately sprung up that a germ warfare lab in Wuhan caused the outbreak and that the same cities on lock-down have labs.

>>21052
>The new virus, according to World Health Organization (WHO) scientists, has a reproductive rate of as high as 2.5, meaning each infected individual on average infects as many as 2.5 more people. That might not seem so bad when an epidemic of four people expands after a few days to 14 more cases, but when 500 cases swells to 1,750, things get serious. On Jan. 3, China officially reported 44 cases of Wuhan pneumonia; two weeks later the toll jumped to 198 cases; on the morning of Jan. 21 the government said 444 patients in Wuhan’s surrounding province of Hubei were confirmed as infected by the virus. By Jan. 23, the situation was unfolding so rapidly that WHO said at midday in the eastern United States that a total of 575 cases were confirmed in mainland China, then the Chinese government issued a new total of 644 an hour later, and by the next day the tally hit 830 cases with 26 deaths.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/24/wuhan-virus-china-belt-and-road-pandemic/

The article goes on to point out that; Wuhan is the transit hub of China with the high-speed rail in walking distance of the animal market the virus spread from and that China failed to stop 300,000 people fleeing the city. Of course, you can only get it from contact so only touchy people with weakened immune systems will die in Europe but if it hits Africa then SHTF.
>> No. 21063 Anonymous
25th January 2020
Saturday 12:22 am
21063 spacer
Microlad here. This one's nothing to worry about. It'll end up overrated and dissapointing just like its cousins MERS and SARS.

I had my hopes up for ebola for a while but I don't think we're going to have a decent epidemic any time soon. People are just too bastard hygienic nowadays.

Had a midwife phone up panicking about zika the other day. Remember that one?
>> No. 21064 Anonymous
25th January 2020
Saturday 12:33 am
21064 spacer
>>21061
>The WHO has confirmed

They've said "for now" and that it "may become one". They don't have enough data as of yet because of shit like this: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/22/health/virus-corona.html

>It is censoring criticism. It is detaining people for spreading what it calls “rumors.” It is suppressing information it deems alarming.

How open and transparent of them.
>> No. 21066 Anonymous
25th January 2020
Saturday 12:39 am
21066 spacer
>>21061

I'm not big on conspiracies, even 9/11 seems like a pretty clear cut case of incompetence to me. As does this virus, only the 7th of its type in recorded medical history right on the doorstep of a lab that was working on ahem, the coronavirus? Come on lad. Some Chinky cunt forgot to wash his hands on the way to the rice bar, that much is obvious. Or are we supposed to believe it's bats again?

If this wild conspiracy theory that a microbiology lab housing a rare virus that happened to appear in the same city as said microbiology lab is so obviously false why don't you go ahead and debunk it for the class? Using snarky smug cunt language as in the quoted post will result in a maximum score of 3/10.
>> No. 21072 Anonymous
25th January 2020
Saturday 5:19 am
21072 spacer
>>21061
>Next you'll share that conspiracy theory that has immediately sprung up that a germ warfare lab in Wuhan caused the outbreak and that the same cities on lock-down have labs.

I thought it was because of Chinks eating koalas or snakes or something like that?
>> No. 21078 Anonymous
25th January 2020
Saturday 4:15 pm
21078 spacer
>>21066
>Some Chinky cunt forgot to wash his hands on the way to the rice bar
The biggest shock for me was hearing it's not normal to wash your hands in China, even among medical staff.
>> No. 21084 Anonymous
26th January 2020
Sunday 5:44 am
21084 spacer
>>21063
> Had a midwife phone up panicking about zika the other day. Remember that one?

Zika and Chikungunya are both very much still active in Brazil, as is Dengue and now Yellow Fever. Global spread seems to be low as most tourists (not that Brazil deserves any) probably aren't going anywhere where they're going to get bitten by the right kind of mosquito.

Sage for rambling over a pest-spread virus when this virus is spread person to person.

Missus asked if I wanted Chinese tonight, told her to get fucked and order a curry. Fucks sake.
>> No. 21085 Anonymous
26th January 2020
Sunday 8:05 am
21085 spacer
I work in airports and see and even go quite near people returning from China every day. I suppose I'll act as the .gs canary, I'll let you know when the hazsuits come for me.
>> No. 21086 Anonymous
26th January 2020
Sunday 8:13 am
21086 spacer
There are stories coming out about the swarms of people trying to get spaces in hospitals and people collapsing on the streets, but I would comfortably bet that only a tiny fraction of these people actually have the corona virus, the majority probably have a simple flu and are succumbing to hysteria.
>> No. 21087 Anonymous
26th January 2020
Sunday 8:51 am
21087 spacer
>>21086

I, for one, collapse in the streets all the time when there's an epidemic on. You should have seen me during Live Aid, I was crawling through the streets pretending to be starving, nobody bought my story that my massive gut was the result of kwashiorkor.
>> No. 21089 Anonymous
26th January 2020
Sunday 10:34 am
21089 spacer
>>21088
>whether or not certain places on the planet tend to have people with healthier immune systems?
Careful lad, next you'll be inquiring as to whether some groups of people are naturally more predisposed to commit violent crime, rather than being influenced purely by economic factors.
>> No. 21090 Anonymous
26th January 2020
Sunday 11:53 am
21090 spacer

HWCO7T6KR5ECDF3WEU7265AY34.jpg
210902109021090
Was it the bat soup or something else?
>> No. 21091 Anonymous
26th January 2020
Sunday 12:06 pm
21091 spacer
>>21090

>I find this act distasteful therefore it must have caused the plague

Has anyone suggested why it might be bats or are we just doing the modern day equivalent of blaming the gays for earthquakes?
>> No. 21093 Anonymous
26th January 2020
Sunday 12:24 pm
21093 spacer
>>21091
Coronaviruses jump from animals to people. It's almost certainly something they've eaten, so flying rats is one of the main suspects at the moment.
>> No. 21094 Anonymous
26th January 2020
Sunday 12:56 pm
21094 spacer
>>21091
Yes. Do you remembers MERS? As >>21093 said, it jumps from animals to people. SARS also came from bats. Bats (as well as birds) are a reservoir species for viruses of this ilk. I don't think it's confirmed yet, but it's incredibly likely and with good reason.
>> No. 21095 Anonymous
26th January 2020
Sunday 1:16 pm
21095 spacer
>>21089

Having a resistance to diseases is the most obvious evolutionary trait there is. Not dying when everyone else around you is tends to mean your genes pass on and theirs don't. It is the only instance I can think where a gene would become entirely dominant in a species within a generation. It does of course require diseases to take their natural course and kill millions of people so it isn't really a relevant mechanism in 21st century society.
>> No. 21096 Anonymous
26th January 2020
Sunday 1:34 pm
21096 spacer
>>21091

>>I find this act distasteful

As far as something can be objectively distaseful I believe this might literally be it, it's covered in fur and skin and looks like it was boiled. I'm not really sure it was meant to be eaten, and if it was well god help anyone with a palate like that. Probably just included for mystical medicinal powers or some bullshit.
>> No. 21097 Anonymous
26th January 2020
Sunday 10:15 pm
21097 spacer
>>21093
> It's almost certainly something they've eaten
Or bummed.
>> No. 21099 Anonymous
27th January 2020
Monday 6:48 am
21099 spacer
>>21097
Or been bummed by.
>> No. 21100 Anonymous
27th January 2020
Monday 12:21 pm
21100 spacer
>>21043
I just looked these up, and they were outbreaks of the plague and cholera - which are obviously not virus-borne.

Dunno why I'm the first to mention it, maybe I'm too much of a pedant, or maybe everyone else was ignoring 'bait', I dunno.
>> No. 21101 Anonymous
27th January 2020
Monday 7:03 pm
21101 spacer
I crossed the street when I saw a Chinese lad walking towards me today.

Is it a bit over the top?
>> No. 21102 Anonymous
27th January 2020
Monday 7:10 pm
21102 spacer
>>21101
You can't be too careful.
>> No. 21103 Anonymous
27th January 2020
Monday 7:40 pm
21103 spacer

tumblr_c17b343697604522f0d25ef5adece9a0_b6b5273e_1.jpg
211032110321103
>>21101

>Is it a bit over the top?

Slightly perhaps.

It might be a good idea though to avoid international flights at the moment, of course especially to and from Asia. If movies like Twelve Monkeys or World War Z have taught us anything, then long-haul flights are a significant carrier mechanism for these kinds of pandemics.
>> No. 21105 Anonymous
28th January 2020
Tuesday 12:18 am
21105 spacer
The WHO has just said the global risk is now high. Pack your rice lads. Also here's a fun interactive tracker:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
>> No. 21106 Anonymous
28th January 2020
Tuesday 12:27 am
21106 spacer
>>21105


>The WHO

Let's hope we won't get fooled again.
>> No. 21107 Anonymous
28th January 2020
Tuesday 1:20 am
21107 spacer
>>21105
I’m generally sanguine about these things, but this illness being such an unknown and emerging in a place as vast and busy as China is giving me a distinct sense of unease. Even if it only has a mortality percentage in the the single digits it be really rather awful.
>> No. 21108 Anonymous
28th January 2020
Tuesday 12:49 pm
21108 spacer
>>21107
I agree, if China had been more honest with everybody as to what's been going on it probably wouldn't seem as bad as it does, but even now nobody has all the data they need on this. The death toll is now at 106 too, but it's seeming like it could just be the usual high risk age ranges, young children and the elderly.
>> No. 21110 Anonymous
28th January 2020
Tuesday 6:43 pm
21110 spacer
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/coronavirus-birmingham-qe-flu-harborne-17641214

This lad came back from Wuhan on Dec 31st and has been knocking around Birmingham since, before being picked up yesterday. He came down with a 'Flu-like' illness before getting better and THEN going to the doctors, who hopefully stuck him with a painfull needle.

Probably isn't anything corona-ry about it, but better pack your rice just in case. Moan for potential fear-mongering.
>> No. 21111 Anonymous
28th January 2020
Tuesday 6:55 pm
21111 spacer
>>21110

This is it then. Last post of the internet lads.

I feel a great sadness. If there's an apoco on I'll make sure to use the phrase I, for one, ... if I ever have to mug anyone for food. Here's hoping we never meet lads.
>> No. 21112 Anonymous
28th January 2020
Tuesday 7:08 pm
21112 spacer
>>21110
ITZ COMING
>> No. 21113 Anonymous
28th January 2020
Tuesday 7:43 pm
21113 spacer
>>21110
Potential fear mongering? The tale you share has happened near enough 100 times in the UK by now and all the tests came back negative.
>> No. 21115 Anonymous
28th January 2020
Tuesday 7:58 pm
21115 spacer
>>21113
So you're saying an outbreak is well overdue?
>> No. 21116 Anonymous
28th January 2020
Tuesday 9:15 pm
21116 spacer

tumblr_d113d1b85a81321cef9f4c7a7162d6b0_9a825555_2.gif
211162111621116
>>21111

>I feel a great sadness. If there's an apoco on

There are worse things that could happen in terms of an apocalypse.

Kind of a shit apocalypse as it goes, really. I always had my bets on us nuking each other. The whole world dying of a virus seems kind of pedestrian.
>> No. 21117 Anonymous
29th January 2020
Wednesday 1:25 am
21117 spacer

sars vs corona.png
211172111721117
Even going by downplayed Chinese statistics, it's still happening
>> No. 21118 Anonymous
29th January 2020
Wednesday 7:17 am
21118 spacer
>A German man who contracted coronavirus from a Chinese work colleague is thought to be the first person in Europe to catch the disease via human transmission, health officials have said.

>The 33-year-old infected man has not been to China or Wuhan - the city where the strain first emerged in December - but had been in contact with a Chinese colleague at a work training session who later became unwell and tested positive for the virus. Speaking at a press conference, Bavarian State head of health and food safety, Andreas Zapf, said the co-worker was a woman from Shanghai who “started to feel sick” on a fight home on January 23. Her parents from the Wuhan region ​had visited her a few days before her trip.

>The German man had attended a training session given by his Chinese colleague on January 21 at the office of a car parts supplier Webasto in Stockdorf in Bavaria. He tested positive for the virus, which has an incubation period of one to 14 days, on Monday evening. Webasto confirmed that both the visiting colleague and the infected German man were employees of the company.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/coronavirus-europe-germany-china-a4346766.html

ITZ
>> No. 21119 Anonymous
29th January 2020
Wednesday 11:44 am
21119 spacer
>>21116

Virus apocalypse might not be too bad for the survivors. True there is the risk of the infection for a long time afterwards, and the logistics of burning the corpses. But the infrastructure remains nearly wholly intact. Resources might actually be bountiful.
>> No. 21120 Anonymous
29th January 2020
Wednesday 2:01 pm
21120 spacer
>>21119

The Great Plague in mediaeval Europe led to a prolonged period of prosperity among the survivors. Because it wiped out nearly 50 percent of the population indiscriminately, the survivors inherited sometimes massive wealth in land, livestock, and other assets from their dead family members. It is thought that cultural movements like the Renaissance also greatly benefited from the fact that there was much more personal wealth available to aristocrats and the upper classes to commission the kind of elaborate works of art that the 16th Century is famous for still today.

It's even speculated that the reduced use of land for farming, because fewer people needed food to eat, and the subsequent regrowth of forests on it contributed to the Little Ice Age.
>> No. 21121 Anonymous
29th January 2020
Wednesday 3:32 pm
21121 spacer
>>21120

Are you advocating for eco-fascism again, you racist Malthusian bigot?
>> No. 21122 Anonymous
29th January 2020
Wednesday 3:47 pm
21122 spacer
>>21121

Have another teary mate.
>> No. 21123 Anonymous
29th January 2020
Wednesday 4:40 pm
21123 spacer
>>21121

No, just stating historic fact.
>> No. 21156 Anonymous
30th January 2020
Thursday 7:49 pm
21156 spacer
Coronavirus declared global health emergency

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51318246
>> No. 21157 Anonymous
30th January 2020
Thursday 8:07 pm
21157 spacer
>>21156

Couldn't give a fuck about that tbh, but I'm furious that China Post is shut until the 10th.
>> No. 21158 Anonymous
30th January 2020
Thursday 9:10 pm
21158 spacer
>>21156
How can eight cases of human-to-human transmission make a global emergency? Does the lad own pharma stock or something?
>> No. 21163 Anonymous
31st January 2020
Friday 10:06 am
21163 spacer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51325192

I'll see you fellas on the other side.
>> No. 21165 Anonymous
31st January 2020
Friday 11:12 am
21165 spacer

_20200131_111232.jpg
211652116521165
>>21158

The alarming thing is that it's legitimately airborne. Not just shitty old droplet aerosolisation airborne, but legit contagious survives on its own airborne.

So no it isn't massive and it isn't actually all that deadly, the trouble is it could spread like wildfire if we don't act immediately to shut it down.
>> No. 21166 Anonymous
31st January 2020
Friday 12:21 pm
21166 spacer
I'm slightly worried for my elderly parents, who are increasingly frail as it is. I've suggested they avoid public spaces with large crowds of people for the time being.
>> No. 21172 Anonymous
31st January 2020
Friday 6:04 pm
21172 spacer
>>21166
It's a bit early for that really. And besides, elderly people tend to be more likely to catch a virus from family members rather than the general public.
>> No. 21179 Anonymous
31st January 2020
Friday 8:11 pm
21179 spacer
>>21163
Chinese tourists in York. No mention of whether they've been anywhere else in the country.
>> No. 21188 Anonymous
1st February 2020
Saturday 10:19 am
21188 spacer
>>21179

My social media has been circulating pictures of a Chinese woman in Pontefract wearing a mask.

We're fucked.
>> No. 21189 Anonymous
1st February 2020
Saturday 10:37 am
21189 spacer
>>21165
Didn't this comic originally say 'someone in Brazil is coughing' or something? Which is far more relevant for a real pandemic.
>> No. 21190 Anonymous
1st February 2020
Saturday 10:39 am
21190 spacer
>>21188
Asian people wear masks when they have a cold, or they think someone else has a cold, or it's a bit cold out.

It's hardly panicworthy.
>> No. 21202 Anonymous
1st February 2020
Saturday 2:35 pm
21202 spacer
>>21190
This should be standard practice for everybody, honestly. I was at a bus stop recently and the woman behind me was obviously in a rush and too eager about the bus arriving, but she kept having a coughing fit without covering her fucking mouth once. On top of that, every time I took a step forward to get some distance, she'd step closer again and cough right next to me. The self awareness of some pricks, I swear.
>> No. 21205 Anonymous
1st February 2020
Saturday 2:44 pm
21205 spacer
>>21202
You should have just told her.
>> No. 21209 Anonymous
1st February 2020
Saturday 3:37 pm
21209 spacer
>>21189

Yeah I just saved the wrong one because the JPG was too shit for me to realise. I knew you lot would get the gist though.
>> No. 21229 Anonymous
1st February 2020
Saturday 8:09 pm
21229 spacer
>>21202

> On top of that, every time I took a step forward to get some distance, she'd step closer again and cough right next to me. The self awareness of some pricks, I swear.

I had someone in a queue behind me the other day who was devouring a Mars bar, there was no other way to put it, and she made sure that everybody was hearing her eating noises. She also wasn't minding her personal space, or mine really, and started literally breathing down my neck with her chocolate and rotten teeth breath.
>> No. 21248 Anonymous
2nd February 2020
Sunday 11:18 pm
21248 spacer
>>21229

Did you take a casual step backwards, like a little shuffle of your current position? If it's on the tube I'll make every effort to minimise my space, but in shops or queues then there's no reason for someone to push up on you and if they do, try and remember 'this person's a twat' and don't give ground, take it back.

If you get any blowback or they ask you to move, have your reasoning prepared. if you've got big balls, speak loud enough for other people to hear. You know you're in the right, and others will know that too. It's worth the moment of awkwardness to let someone know their social imposition is fucking annoying.
>> No. 21249 Anonymous
3rd February 2020
Monday 9:54 am
21249 spacer
>>21229
>started literally breathing down my neck
I get this a lot with Indians, their idea of personal space seems to be about ½ an inch
>> No. 21250 Anonymous
3rd February 2020
Monday 10:05 am
21250 spacer
I've noticed Chinese people smell like sneeze a lot. Is this because of the masks trapping sneezes on them?
>> No. 21260 Anonymous
3rd February 2020
Monday 5:46 pm
21260 spacer
>>21250
Anon, I'm afraid you have Goo Brain, I'm writing you a prescription for one Brain Hardener.
>> No. 21261 Anonymous
3rd February 2020
Monday 5:56 pm
21261 spacer
>>21260
Mate, they do. There were enough Chinese students on my course when I was at university to know they have a lingering aroma of sneeze about them.
>> No. 21262 Anonymous
3rd February 2020
Monday 6:07 pm
21262 spacer
>>21260

Is that the Huel one?
>> No. 21273 Anonymous
4th February 2020
Tuesday 8:27 pm
21273 spacer
Really hope I can get a new SSD before this hits NAND prices.
>> No. 21274 Anonymous
4th February 2020
Tuesday 9:57 pm
21274 spacer
>>21273
I just bought my first PC in 5 years. 1/2TByte of RAM and 4TBytes of SSD. I think I've done my bit for global semiconductor sales this year.
Although I do have 4 more 2.5" SAS caddies to fill, so there's still hope.
>> No. 21276 Anonymous
4th February 2020
Tuesday 10:07 pm
21276 spacer
>>21274
What are you planning to do with all that RAM?
>> No. 21278 Anonymous
4th February 2020
Tuesday 11:34 pm
21278 spacer
>>21276
I'm going to guess audio. Either that or run a really big SQL database, but it doesn't seem like it has enough storage.
>> No. 21279 Anonymous
5th February 2020
Wednesday 12:39 am
21279 spacer
>>21276
>>21278
I can't even find a 64GB DDR4 module, which would surely be required, unless the motherboard has 16 sticks of 32GB... maybe a server board?
>> No. 21280 Anonymous
5th February 2020
Wednesday 1:12 am
21280 spacer
>>21279

HP Z model workstations go up to 512GB but they cost a pretty penny. They pack Xeon processors though, so I'm going to agree with you and say they probably have motherboards you'd usually expect to find in a server.
>> No. 21281 Anonymous
5th February 2020
Wednesday 1:16 am
21281 spacer
>>21279

64GB RDIMMs are readily available; you can even get 128GB LRDIMMs if you really need them, but they're stupidly expensive. Most workstation motherboards have 8 RAM slots, but you'd spend the thick end of £4,000 to fill them with 64GB modules.

>>21278

Even if you're working on vast projects, I can't think of any audio or video use-cases where you'd really need anywhere near that much RAM. Fast PCIe SSDs have changed the equation substantially, because the latency penalty for running out of RAM is orders of magnitude lower than on spinning rust or even SATA SSDs.

I can only imagine that OP is running tons of VMs for development work or doing some sort of scientific computing.
>> No. 21282 Anonymous
5th February 2020
Wednesday 1:18 am
21282 spacer
>>21274
Jesus, I ordered a second 8gb stick this evening and felt chuffed about it.
>> No. 21283 Anonymous
5th February 2020
Wednesday 6:36 am
21283 spacer
>>21281 tons of VMs for development work or doing some sort of scientific computing

Both. Current box only has 128G of RAM, so this is a comfortable step up.
Yes, it's a rackmount server, I haven't had a tower PC for ages. It's not new, it's a Dell R910, so 4U and can take up to 2T of RAM. Entire thing cost me £1300, and I suspect it'll cost me more than that in electricity, so it'll be powered up only when I want it. 4 1100W PSUs and an idling power of 600W, by the look of it, I haven't measured yet.
Still, new PC always me feel like a younglad cobbling together 486 machines with not scrounged bits in razorsharp cases...
>> No. 21286 Anonymous
7th February 2020
Friday 11:44 am
21286 spacer

AC22845B-A68F-42D8-8DD0-9D7EFCE86122.png
212862128621286
Dumb nerd stuff aside, I’ve got a bad feeling about this, and not just because of the pangolin revelation.
>> No. 21288 Anonymous
7th February 2020
Friday 4:17 pm
21288 spacer
>>21286

It's accepted scientific theory that the HIV virus first crossed the species border between chimpanzees and humans in tropical sub-Saharan Africa, where some people actually traditionally hunted and ate chimps. The transfer mechanism may have been the handling and preparation of raw chimpanzee meat, according to this theory.

>The most commonly accepted theory is that of the 'hunter'. In this scenario, SIVcpz was transferred to humans as a result of chimps being killed and eaten, or their blood getting into cuts or wounds on people in the course of hunting. Normally, the hunter's body would have fought off SIV, but on a few occasions the virus adapted itself within its new human host and became HIV-1.

https://www.avert.org/professionals/history-hiv-aids/origin?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImICPkOm_5wIVQbDtCh1NxwKpEAAYASAAEgI2MvD_BwE

On the other hand, my social studies teacher in school, who was a proper conspiracy nut and realistically never should have been allowed to teach us about the world, maintained that the HIV virus may have been engineered in a CIA lab and deliberately spread among gays, drug addicts and hippies in the U.S. to combat the weakening of America's moral fibre in the Cold War by these groups.
>> No. 21289 Anonymous
7th February 2020
Friday 4:31 pm
21289 spacer
Getting a bit annoyed that a certain crowd is branding fears of this thing racist. It's somewhat deadlier than the flu because we have literally no immune defence against it (there's a reason it's called a novel corona virus), and about on par with SARS and MERS. There are now reports that despite unusual transparency, the Chinese authorities are still downplaying the spread of the virus.
>> No. 21290 Anonymous
7th February 2020
Friday 6:21 pm
21290 spacer
>>21289
You just have to accept you can't please the mods. They think everything's racist.
>> No. 21291 Anonymous
7th February 2020
Friday 7:00 pm
21291 spacer
>>21290
You may well be right - more likely though is that actual racists can’t help but show their true colours, particularly when on topics such as Brexit or coronavirus.
>> No. 21292 Anonymous
7th February 2020
Friday 7:27 pm
21292 spacer
>>21286
Could be a good thing - people don't kill pangolins out of spite, they smuggle them out for 'medicine' and for food. Maybe demand will drop from them being a potential disease vector.
>> No. 21293 Anonymous
7th February 2020
Friday 7:42 pm
21293 spacer
>>21289
I read an article that said reports that the disease originated in bats and snakes in the wildlife market were racist, as it implied the Chinese were somehow savage for engaging in the sale and consumption of animals not considered as food in the west.
>> No. 21294 Anonymous
7th February 2020
Friday 7:43 pm
21294 spacer
>>21290
Nobody has been banned for 11 days, keep your skirt on.
>> No. 21295 Anonymous
7th February 2020
Friday 7:46 pm
21295 spacer
>>21294

What about post deletions, since we're doing this here.
>> No. 21296 Anonymous
7th February 2020
Friday 8:02 pm
21296 spacer
>>21295
In this thread? There haven't been any. What would be the point in deleting a post without banning the poster if we were trying to cover something up? Guaranteed they'd be a massive whiner like you and not shut up about it.
>> No. 21297 Anonymous
7th February 2020
Friday 8:52 pm
21297 spacer
>>21293
You say that like you don't agree with the article.

For one thing, China is a huge country and Asia a huge continent, saying 'they' eat bats and snakes is like saying the British eat frogs and snails and horses and so on. Also people still eat wild animals here e.g. rabbits. And even in our farmed food conditions are shit even with our supposed high standards, animals have to be constantly pumped with antibiotics to stop disease spreading. Remember foot and mouth? Remember mad cows? We can hardly take the fucking high ground.
>> No. 21298 Anonymous
7th February 2020
Friday 9:05 pm
21298 spacer
>>21297
I don't disagree with you. I think the sensationalist reporting on bat soup, which isn't actually popular in China, was very unhelpful and rooted in orientalism. But when the health officials are saying the virus likely originated in bats, an article completely dismissing the experts as racist isn't great.
>> No. 21299 Anonymous
7th February 2020
Friday 9:09 pm
21299 spacer

>> No. 21300 Anonymous
7th February 2020
Friday 9:37 pm
21300 spacer
>>21293
That's ridiculous. Bats are the likely source, since it's been identified as a bat coronavirus + HIV. We know that both bats and snakes were being sold in the meat market in Wuhan. As a certain stopped clock likes to say, facts don't care about anyone's feelings.

As >>21297 points out, even in China cuisines are many and varied. In many parts of China they eat things we would consider unpalatable, and vice versa. Many Han Chinese would not consider dairy products because they're genetically predisposed to lactose intolerance.

Ultimately, the actual eating of the things doesn't matter, because coronavirus doesn't typically spread through carrion. Patient zero will have been someone who handled infected animals and contracted a strain that could transition to humans. We've known for centuries that environments where humans and animals are in close proximity are ideal opportunities for diseases to cross between species. What happened here was really no different than when H5N1/04 jumped from birds in Thailand, or H1N1/09 jumped from pigs in Mexico, or when cowpox crossed from cows in Europe hundreds of years ago.
>> No. 21301 Anonymous
7th February 2020
Friday 9:58 pm
21301 spacer
>>21300

They're saying it was pangolins now.
>> No. 21302 Anonymous
7th February 2020
Friday 10:41 pm
21302 spacer
>>21301

They do love soup.
>> No. 21303 Anonymous
8th February 2020
Saturday 1:39 am
21303 spacer
>>21293

"Anti-racist" is just projecting their own racist prejudices on an imagined villain. Shock horror.

There are 1.4 billion people in China. If you're truly one-in-a-million, there are 1400 of you in China. Even if an infinitesimally small proportion of Chinese people eat bats, that's still a shitload of bat eating. In a country with a population greater than North America and Europe combined, inexplicably weird shit happens constantly.

Food hygiene standards in China are fucking appalling and anyone who says otherwise is a racist - the Chinese are seriously pissed off about how manky their food is and are trying to fix it, they don't need some 老外 telling them that 地沟油 is just a "cultural difference" or minimising the hundreds of babies killed by 三聚氰胺 just to score politically correct points.

Outbreaks of novel diseases are disproportionately likely to happen in China due to a mix of socioeconomic, geographic and cultural factors, but China is uniquely well-equipped to deal with disasters of this kind. No other country could possibly hope to build a 1,000-bed hospital in less than a fortnight. No other country could successfully impose a quarantine curfew on 30-odd million people. China is weird, China is brilliant, China is a dream and a nightmare, China is utterly exceptional in every possible way.
>> No. 21304 Anonymous
8th February 2020
Saturday 8:29 am
21304 spacer
>>21303
>Food hygiene standards in China are fucking appalling and anyone who says otherwise is a racist

I'm reminded of the baby milk scandal, where it turned out 22 companies were shoving the stuff they make white board erasers out of into the formula to trick the testing and filling it with any old crap. A blind eye was turned until babies were dying and the people lost all trust and started importing formula from abroad.
>> No. 21305 Anonymous
10th February 2020
Monday 2:04 pm
21305 spacer
Coronavirus: Brighton GP practice closes after staff member tests positive

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51447761

ITZ HAPPENIN'
>> No. 21306 Anonymous
10th February 2020
Monday 2:25 pm
21306 spacer
>>21305
>The group were staying at this chalet in the French Alpine ski resort of Les Contamines-Montjoie
I thought this was a translation error but it turns out that's genuinely the name of the place. Yes, "contamine" means what it sounds like.
>> No. 21307 Anonymous
10th February 2020
Monday 4:34 pm
21307 spacer
>>21306
The name of the village originates from ancient local dialect. The word “Contamines” once meant ploughable land on the squires estate.

Wasn't going to be my first guess.
>> No. 21308 Anonymous
10th February 2020
Monday 6:23 pm
21308 spacer
>>21307
Etymology aside, in modern French your first guess was right.
>> No. 21309 Anonymous
11th February 2020
Tuesday 4:43 pm
21309 spacer
It's called Covid-19 now. Good name. I reckon it'll kill about two million people, anyone taking bets?
>> No. 21310 Anonymous
11th February 2020
Tuesday 5:11 pm
21310 spacer
>>21309

Is that just direct deaths or are you including secondary complications, stupidity related deaths, deaths due to stretched public services, mercy killings and potential economic fallout in that?
>> No. 21311 Anonymous
12th February 2020
Wednesday 12:37 am
21311 spacer
>>21309
They made it a shit name on purpose.
>> No. 21313 Anonymous
12th February 2020
Wednesday 3:20 pm
21313 spacer
>>21309
It's called SARS-CoV-2 now.
>> No. 21314 Anonymous
12th February 2020
Wednesday 5:59 pm
21314 spacer
>>21313
One is the name of the disease and the other the virus.
>> No. 21315 Anonymous
12th February 2020
Wednesday 6:58 pm
21315 spacer
>>21314
Like HIV and AIDS.
>> No. 21326 Anonymous
14th February 2020
Friday 1:25 pm
21326 spacer
There's a woman at work who is a compulsive liar. She's spent all day so far making a big deal that someone her husband works with has coronavirus, but none of us can find a single news report to say there's been a case in our area.
>> No. 21327 Anonymous
14th February 2020
Friday 5:05 pm
21327 spacer
>>21326

I, for one, would welcome it if not every single case gets reported by two-bit news media desperate for clickbait.

Because realistically, what are you going to do if somebody in your area is diagnosed. You probably can't afford to stop going to work on your commuter train every day, you will have to go to supermarkets and other public places with loads of people, and what-have-you. Sure, you can put on a face mask, but are you really prepared to make yourself look daft like that.

As with 90 percent of other viruses that you've contracted in your life, you would probably also survive a full-on coronavirus infection. You'll feel like utter shit for a few days, and then get to tell people you've survived CoV-19.
>> No. 21328 Anonymous
14th February 2020
Friday 5:21 pm
21328 spacer
I just want an excuse to wear my mask while doing stuff outside. I think it only works for dust but it looks cool.
>> No. 21329 Anonymous
14th February 2020
Friday 5:30 pm
21329 spacer
>>21327
Of the viruses I have contracted thus far, I suspect I have survived more than 90%.
>> No. 21330 Anonymous
14th February 2020
Friday 6:42 pm
21330 spacer
>>21329

A quite daring assumption.
>> No. 21331 Anonymous
14th February 2020
Friday 7:39 pm
21331 spacer
>>21327

I don't think you understand the severity this virus potentially has, so far it has been about one death for every seven recoveries.

That is with high levels of medical care for people in critical condition, this illness has the capacity to infect everyone with little to no resistance based on its origin (humans aren't resistant to illnesses that have developed entirely in other animals), at which point there won't be enough medical aid to deal with all the critical cases and the death count will go up significantly. Assuming no one develops a vaccine, and it isn't contained, expect a billion dead.
>> No. 21332 Anonymous
14th February 2020
Friday 9:18 pm
21332 spacer
>>21331
It’s widely agreed many cases aren’t actually being treated in a hospital environment so you’re being a touch hysterical. I’m not saying it’s not serious but a billion is a bit much.
>> No. 21333 Anonymous
14th February 2020
Friday 9:19 pm
21333 spacer
>>21332

Yet simultaneously nowhere near enough.
>> No. 21334 Anonymous
14th February 2020
Friday 10:54 pm
21334 spacer
>>21332
Can't you be a team player and buy into the fearmongering just once. BILLIONS WILL DIE and those that survive WILL BE KILLED BY CLIMATE CHANGE.
>> No. 21336 Anonymous
15th February 2020
Saturday 12:16 am
21336 spacer
>>21334

>BILLIONS WILL DIE and those that survive WILL BE KILLED BY CLIMATE CHANGE.

Yawn.
>> No. 21337 Anonymous
15th February 2020
Saturday 1:18 am
21337 spacer
>>21334
I've never been much of a team player, sorry.

In all seriousness thought I am a bit surprised at how relatively laid back everyone is about this outbreak. Then again it has only been a month and a bit since it hit the headlines so maybe I'm the paranoid one; actually I know I am. However, pertaining specifically to Covid 19, I can't be so sure.
>> No. 21338 Anonymous
15th February 2020
Saturday 2:38 am
21338 spacer
>>21332

World population of nowish 7,700,000,000

Wuhan coronavirus confirmed deaths and recoveries as of now

deaths 1,526 recoveries 8,185

therefore assumed CFR based on death as opposed to recovery is a Ratio of 15.71%


15.71% of 7,700,000,000 = 1,209,670,000‬


That is assuming that is assuming it isn't contained and no vaccine is found.
>> No. 21339 Anonymous
15th February 2020
Saturday 2:39 am
21339 spacer
>>21338
Why are you replying to my post in a manner that strongly suggests you've failed to even read it?
>> No. 21340 Anonymous
15th February 2020
Saturday 2:40 am
21340 spacer
>>21334
>and those that survive WILL BE KILLED BY CLIMATE CHANGE.

No they wouldn't, a dramatic sudden decrease in humans would be very good for the enviroment and for first time house buyers.
>> No. 21342 Anonymous
15th February 2020
Saturday 2:43 am
21342 spacer
>>21339

Because you don't seem to have any comprehention of how actively this event is being monitored. No matter what your weasle words "It’s widely agreed many cases" say.
>> No. 21343 Anonymous
15th February 2020
Saturday 2:47 am
21343 spacer
>>21339

His manner of posting actually suggests he did read your post as he is keeping the current recovery rate rather than adjusting for the failure of medical care as it becomes overwhelmed, which will increase the death rate. Your suggestion that medicine isn't being used to treat the virus at present, if true, means that the current death rate will remain the same even when medical provision fails due to weight of numbers.

Your suggestion that a billion deaths is hysterical is correct, the virus is unlikely to have an infection rate of 100% but you didn't make that clear in your post so the poster you are replying to is not in fact replying to your post in a manner which indicates he has failed to even read your post. If anything you have failed to even read the poster's post.
>> No. 21344 Anonymous
15th February 2020
Saturday 4:01 am
21344 spacer
>>21338

That's a gross misreading of the data. The CFR for confirmed symptomatic cases in Hubei is ~18%, but that's a highly unrepresentative sample because only the worst cases are actually being confirmed. It excludes people with symptoms too mild to require hospital care and asymptomatic carriers.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-2019-nCoV-severity-10-02-2020.pdf
>> No. 21345 Anonymous
15th February 2020
Saturday 11:13 am
21345 spacer
>>21331

Microbiology lad here.

This virus, like all coronaviruses, is an overblown load of bollocks and we will easily defeat it if you just start washing your fucking hands a bit more. Face masks are a waste of time for reasons I can't be arsed to explain. I work at a big hospital and out of about seven to ten suspected cases a day this week, none have tested positive yet. The people dying from it have all had comorbidity such as being an elderly cunt, just like with seasonal flu.

Expect it to be out of the news by April. Come to think of it, can anyone tell me if Australia is still on fire?
>> No. 21346 Anonymous
15th February 2020
Saturday 11:19 am
21346 spacer
>>21340
In the long run yes, in the short it wouldn't make much difference.
>> No. 21347 Anonymous
15th February 2020
Saturday 11:38 am
21347 spacer
>>21345

>Come to think of it, can anyone tell me if Australia is still on fire?

Good news: most (but not all) of the fires have been extinguished by heavy rain.

Bad news: that rainfall was heavy enough to cause life-threatening flash floods.

Worse news: THERE'S A FUCKIN' CROCODILE SWIMMIN' AROUND IN ME BACK YAARD, MATE.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-47112044
>> No. 21348 Anonymous
15th February 2020
Saturday 12:00 pm
21348 spacer
>>21347
All the debris from the fires getting washed into lakes and oceans is killing off a lot of wildlife too.
>> No. 21349 Anonymous
15th February 2020
Saturday 12:16 pm
21349 I'm right you're wrong, I'm ace you're not!
>>21342>>21343
Aha! Idiots. Thanks >>21344
>> No. 21350 Anonymous
15th February 2020
Saturday 3:08 pm
21350 spacer
>>21348

>All the debris from the fires getting washed into lakes and oceans

Do you think this never happened before there were humans? Nature can deal with natural waste like that, such as ash and charred tree trunks ending up in the ocean. Life adapts on its own after natural disasters.

It's only when you dump billions of tonnes of chemical waste and plastic into the oceans that nature has a hard time dealing with it.



>>21345

Thank you for being a voice of reason.
>> No. 21351 Anonymous
15th February 2020
Saturday 5:51 pm
21351 spacer
>>21350
>Do you think this never happened before there were humans?

It hasn't on this scale, no. Why do you think this is business as usual?
>> No. 21352 Anonymous
15th February 2020
Saturday 6:37 pm
21352 spacer
>>21351

>It hasn't on this scale, no

That's kind of a daring claim, with hundreds of millions of years of biogeological history pointing to this being just a blip on the screen. The Earth has been through several extinction level events that covered the whole planet knee deep in ashes and saw 96 percent of all species wiped out. I'm not saying at all that there aren't implications for what we need to do to protect the environment in the future, but in the end, a bit of runoff from a few seasonal wildfires, even if they were of a magnitude seldom seen, isn't going to throw life in the ocean off its game. In fact, there's evidence from volcanic eruption events around the world where yes, it choked marine wildlife for a few months, but then soon after, the increased availability of minerals and nutrients in the local waters led to an explosion of new life.

Have a sense of perspective, lad.
>> No. 21353 Anonymous
15th February 2020
Saturday 6:41 pm
21353 spacer
>>21352

It depends if by "nature adapts" you mean "something relatively similar to our current ecosphere continues generally unabated" or "practically everything will die but after a few billion years there'll be something with a similar biodiversity again".
>> No. 21354 Anonymous
15th February 2020
Saturday 6:48 pm
21354 spacer
>>21353

>"practically everything will die but after a few billion years there'll be something with a similar biodiversity again".

Not billions, no, the Earth isn't thought to still have that long to support life. I think 500 million years before the Sun will start getting nasty is about the time frame that's accepted scientific belief.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZYgozCTfKc
>> No. 21355 Anonymous
16th February 2020
Sunday 4:38 am
21355 spacer
>>21350

>Thank you for being a voice of reason.

I can't help but notice, despite this lads breakthrough miracle cure of, 'just wash your hands m8' the infection rate and the death toll goes up, even in areas where everyone is acutely aware of the presence of the virus, the only conclusions are that either the Chinese are incapable of washing their hands even when the lives of those around them depend on it, or microbiology lad is talking out their arse about the ease of prevention.
>> No. 21356 Anonymous
16th February 2020
Sunday 4:55 am
21356 spacer
>>21355

It's airborne m8, the virus itself is a molecule fractions of microns in size, and we have no idea yet how long it remains viable on surfaces. Unless you have a negative airflow room installed in your inner city flat washing your hands is about the only thing you CAN do to prevent it spreading.

Fortunately that still doesn't change the fact it's got a piss poor mortality rate on anyone who wasn't at death's door already. I'm sorry to spoil it if you wanted a great plague, but this won't be it.
>> No. 21357 Anonymous
16th February 2020
Sunday 6:46 am
21357 spacer
>>21356

>Unless you have a negative airflow room installed in your inner city flat washing your hands is about the only thing you CAN do to prevent it spreading.

So washing your hands won't prevent it spreading then?
>> No. 21359 Anonymous
16th February 2020
Sunday 11:23 am
21359 spacer
>>21356

>the only conclusions are that either the Chinese are incapable of washing their hands even when the lives of those around them depend on it

As has probably already been mentioned in this thread, culturally, they are not that primed to wash their hands at all. You'd expect more people to start doing it in the wake of the virus, but if it's just not something you're used to then I can see how it could be enough of a phenomenon to cause a more pronounced issue over there than anywhere else.

If the government suddenly told us we had to hop on one leg for 6 seconds every time we cooked food or ate or took a shit, I can't be sure I'd remember every time or even be willing, as it's not something I'm used to doing. I get it, even if it's fucking weird that they don't wash their hands.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23790806
>> No. 21360 Anonymous
16th February 2020
Sunday 11:38 am
21360 spacer
>>21357

Well, yes, it fucking will, you colossal bloody moron. When you cough or sneeze, what do you do? You cover your mouth. With your hands. So what do you suppose happens when you go and touch things after that? I suppose doctors and nurses have been barking up the wrong tree all these years.
>> No. 21361 Anonymous
16th February 2020
Sunday 12:24 pm
21361 spacer
>>21359

The paper you cited totally contradicts your claims. The proportion of Chinese people who reported rarely or never washing their hands after defecation was 1.8% in rural communities and 0.9% in urban communities. The study clearly shows that most Chinese people are aware of the importance of hand hygiene and wash their hands when they're supposed to most of the time.

Hand hygiene adherence in China is clearly less than perfect, but we can't say that it's any worse than in the West without comparable data. We know from hospital-based studies that even doctors are pretty slapdash about handwashing unless you nag them.
>> No. 21363 Anonymous
16th February 2020
Sunday 12:51 pm
21363 spacer
>>21356

>it's got a piss poor mortality rate on anyone who wasn't at death's door already


Also, there is growing evidence that the infection remains symtomless in quite a number of patients. If you don't have symptoms, quite likely you're not going to go see a doctor. Because how will you know you're infected. And then you probably have others where symtoms resemble those of a mild to moderate flu, which again won't prompt them to seek medical help and have their case become part of the statistic.

So if you only have those seeking treatment who have become gravely ill from the virus, then naturally it's going to skew your statistical data. And if you look at pandemics like the Spanish Flu in the 1920s, which killed tens of millions very rapidly at a time when there were far fewer people on the planet and mobility was much less due to commercial international flight being in its infancy, then it's evident that by comparison, the coronavirus is a storm in a teacup, and will stay that way.
>> No. 21364 Anonymous
16th February 2020
Sunday 1:29 pm
21364 spacer
>>21361

I must be misunderstanding something as I read this :

>This study found that 52.7% (rural vs urban: 44.6% vs 56.8%) and 67.3% (rural vs urban: 59.7% vs 71.1%) of Chinese adults reported they always washed hands before eating and after defaecation, and 30.0% (rural vs urban: 25.1% vs 32.8%) of adults always used soap or other sanitizers during washing. Using the criteria of 'always or very often washing hands with soap before eating and after defaecation without sharing a towel with family members after washing', only 47.2% (rural vs urban: 23.8% vs 59.1%) of the adults were graded to practice proper handwashing behaviour.

I concede that I can't really say it's any worse there than in the west, other than anecdotally.
>> No. 21365 Anonymous
16th February 2020
Sunday 2:43 pm
21365 spacer

Untitled.png
213652136521365
>>21364
>> No. 21366 Anonymous
16th February 2020
Sunday 6:26 pm
21366 spacer
>>21360

So it will still spread but slower because you have less vectors? So it won't stop it spreading then?
>> No. 21368 Anonymous
19th February 2020
Wednesday 1:48 pm
21368 spacer

3pnf01.jpg
213682136821368
>>21365

So not even two out of three people in rural areas wash their hands after they've had a poo?
>> No. 21369 Anonymous
19th February 2020
Wednesday 5:49 pm
21369 spacer
>>21365
I've never considered sharing towels to be a factor, before.

>>21368
>Distribution n(%)
>Rural (n = 2072)
>after defaecation, rarely/never; 38 (1.8)

I think it means 38 out of 2072 rural participants, or 1.8%.
>> No. 21370 Anonymous
21st February 2020
Friday 1:46 am
21370 spacer
>>21368
Would you bother if you were going straight back to pitchforking manure around?
>> No. 21371 Anonymous
21st February 2020
Friday 8:13 am
21371 spacer

maxresdefault[1].jpg
213712137121371
>>21368
>> No. 21403 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 10:11 am
21403 spacer
With Italy now firmly on the map of Covid-19 infections, who knows how long it'll take before Britain becomes affected.

It'll be nigh on impossible to stop people carrying the virus from entering the country.

I was actually loosely thinking about maybe going to the Med for a week in spring for a short holiday, but it's probably best to wait it out.
>> No. 21404 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 10:21 am
21404 spacer
>>21403
There's been quite a few deaths in Iran. I've heard it had been hushed up there and also that people there haven't been taking any precautionary measures because they believe their faith will protect them.
>> No. 21405 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 10:54 am
21405 spacer
>>21404
They may be fudging the numbers like China or it may simply be growing too fast and they haven't got a handle on it yet. The faith thing is bullshit though and I've been seeing that crop up in places too, it's either purposeful disinformation or ignorant bollocks.
>> No. 21406 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 12:15 pm
21406 spacer
>>21404

I think the threat of death from Coronavirus is still grossly exaggerated.

So far, preliminary statistics seem to indicate that Covid-19 has a mortality rate of 2.8 percent. You are almost four times more likely to die from SARS, ten times more likely to die from cancer, and twenty times more likely to die from H5N1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_human_disease_case_fatality_rates

Also, there is speculation that in a significant number of patients, a Covid-19 infection will lead to almost no symptoms at all, or simply cause mild flulike symptoms that are indistinguishable from a common cold and the infection therefore remains undetected and unreported. If you add these cases to the statistic, it'll lower the mortality rate even further.

The most likely scenario is that at some point, the coronavirus will just run out of steam and taper off and not be heard from again. Like nearly all viruses before it.

And if in some borderline third-world shitehole like Iran people show an increased mortality rate, that's very likely because they've got borderline third-world shitehole medicine there. If you live in Britain and within about a one-hour radius from an NHS hospital, your chance of dying from Covid-19 should be just about next to zero.
>> No. 21407 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 12:18 pm
21407 spacer

25118366-0-image-m-6_1582543399578.jpg
214072140721407
>>21406
All very well... HOWEVER!
>> No. 21408 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 12:29 pm
21408 spacer
>>21407

Even if you multiply a disease mortality rate with the lifetime risk of contraction, Covid-19 should rank fairly low.

According to cancer.org, you have about a 40 percent chance of developing cancer in your lifetime, slightly depending on whether you're male or female.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-basics/lifetime-probability-of-developing-or-dying-from-cancer.html

So then if you multiply the overall mortality rate of cancer, which is about 30 percent, by those 40 percent, it means that a random person's individual lifetime risk of dying from cancer is 12 percent. Whereas it's hypothetically only 2.8 percent for dying from Covid-19 if you assume a 100-percent infection rate of the entire (global) population.
>> No. 21410 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 12:32 pm
21410 spacer
>>21408
Yeah, alright, nerd, calm down, I know I'm going to die. I was not unironically posting DM screencaps in refutation of your entirely sensible post on this topic.
>> No. 21411 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 12:45 pm
21411 spacer
>>21410

>posting DM screencaps

Nothing wrong with that. They're always at the forefront of reporting the absolute unadulterated truth.
>> No. 21412 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 1:18 pm
21412 spacer
>>21411
I think you're misinterpreting me again so I'm just going to cut my losses.
>> No. 21413 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 1:33 pm
21413 spacer
>>21406
Hahahaha yeah OK as if the NHS is prepared to handle an epidemic. It can't even handle annual flu season without being on black alert all winter.
>> No. 21414 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 1:44 pm
21414 spacer
>>21413

Black alert? Int that a bit racist?
>> No. 21416 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 2:35 pm
21416 spacer
>>21414
Apparently fewer people going to Chinese restaurants is also racist.
>> No. 21417 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 2:36 pm
21417 spacer
>>21416

That's just batty.
>> No. 21418 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 3:02 pm
21418 spacer
>>21416

It would be no more racist if the origin of the virus was in India and you'd stop ordering take away curry.
>> No. 21420 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 3:23 pm
21420 spacer
>>21413

You're actually arguing in favour of the NHS there lad, considering than in all metrics, the seasonal flu is far, far worse than covid.
>> No. 21421 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 3:28 pm
21421 spacer
>>21420

That's because right now it's not an epidemic here. By definition if it becomes an epidemic it will be as bad or worse than other epidemics such as seasonal flu and thus cause similar or more levels of strain on the health service you mong.
>> No. 21422 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 3:29 pm
21422 spacer
>>21414
That was so clever and funny. This website's gone to fucking shit lately.
>> No. 21424 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 3:33 pm
21424 spacer
>>21422
If by lately you mean around 2014.
>> No. 21425 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 3:36 pm
21425 spacer
>>21424

It wuz /*/ wot dun it m8.
>> No. 21427 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 3:47 pm
21427 spacer
>>21421
>By definition if it becomes an epidemic it will be as bad or worse than other epidemics such as seasonal flu
Well that's not really how logic works, is it mate?
>> No. 21428 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 3:48 pm
21428 spacer
>>21427

Fucking /*/.
>> No. 21429 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 4:39 pm
21429 spacer
Saw a friend who had recently been teaching in China at the weekend, now I have a proper bastard flu, fever and delirium and everything.

I live in London, which politician should I cough on?
>> No. 21430 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 5:01 pm
21430 spacer
>>21429

All of them.
>> No. 21431 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 5:09 pm
21431 spacer
>>21429
Sorry to hear that mate. You need to check what official advice is - you might need to report who you have been in contact with, that your friend came from China so they can trace who he has been in contact with, etc.
>> No. 21432 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 5:15 pm
21432 spacer
>>21431
Nobody likes a grass.
>> No. 21433 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 6:41 pm
21433 spacer
WE'RE DOOMED, OTHERLADM7S

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51611422
>> No. 21434 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 6:54 pm
21434 spacer
>>21433

No, just wash your hands and nothing will happen.
>> No. 21438 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 9:10 pm
21438 spacer
>>21041

Knock knock!
WHO's there?
Nope, just Coronavirus.
>> No. 21442 Anonymous
24th February 2020
Monday 9:46 pm
21442 spacer
IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS?
>> No. 21444 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 12:02 am
21444 spacer
I wish I wasn't an overthinker.

Since Saturday I've had a terrible sore throat, cough, temperature and tiredness. A few hours ago I thought I was on the mend and, barring the sore throat, would be okay to go back to work tomorrow. However I suddenly went feverish, shaky and with achey limbs, to the point that I'm unable to do anything but lay here awake.

It was nice knowing you lads.
>> No. 21446 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 12:31 am
21446 spacer
>>21444

Ring NHS 111 and don't go into work tomorrow. It's all fun and games until you're being talked about on BBC News.
>> No. 21448 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 12:50 am
21448 spacer
>>21446
If there's an outbreak in Ossett you'll know why.
>> No. 21451 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 12:45 pm
21451 spacer
>>21431
>>21430

Welp. Went into work today with a red/sore nose, made a joke about seeing China-teacher friend and all hell broke loose. Frogmarched out of the office and told by HR I'm working from home until I've been tested for coronavirus.

This all seems like a massive overreaction to me over what's essentially the funny chinese flu and not at all deadly to your average healthyish office worker in their 20s. Or am I the knob here?
>> No. 21452 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 1:10 pm
21452 spacer
>>21451

It's both. The virus has already spread to a point where it can't be contained without crippling every economy in the world so we're all going to be exposed to it within the next year, but nonsense merchants like the people above and M.D. from Private Eye keep telling people it will all be fine if they just wash their hands. The result is otherwise reasonable people acting like you have the T-virus because you happen to know a chink and have a sniffle.

You should have stayed off, but if you had just not turned up and told them you were pulling a sickie nobody would have believed you about having a chinky mate, only turning up and inducing a state of fear allowed them to accept your statement as true. Most of them have probably already had coronavirus and not realised it, if you have the sniffles you should cut down on your drinking and go running more mate.
>> No. 21453 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 3:05 pm
21453 spacer
>>21452

>Most of them have probably already had coronavirus and not realised it

This is very likely. In a significant number of patients, the coronavirus manifests itself only with very mild flulike symptoms. How are you going to tell the difference between a seasonal flu and the coronavirus as a layperson without professional lab equipment. Many people will just believe they have a common cold or seasonal flu, and not seek any kind of treatment at all, and then also not become part of the statistic.

What everybody is forgetting is that we're not talking about cholera or the plague here. 97.2 percent of people will survive their infection with absolutely no long-term effects, if the assumed mortality rate of 2.8% holds true. And yet, we're acting like it's fucking World War Z.
>> No. 21455 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 3:21 pm
21455 spacer
Ten people offloaded themselves from one of my flights (to Tenerife) today after they heard about that hotel being locked down due to the italian doctor being diagnosed with the virus.

These people were going nowhere near that hotel and were all healthy looking adults in their late thirties or early forties. Got as far as the gate in the airport before deciding to throw their money away and go home.

They are far more likely to have come into contact with the virus at the airport as we still see thousands of travellers to and from china every day. AFAIK there is still a Wuhan - Amsterdam - Here connection flight up and running with KLM.
>> No. 21456 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 3:22 pm
21456 spacer
>>21454

>These people were going nowhere near that hotel

Maybe it's not the location they were avoiding, maybe the shattering of the myth that it's not going to leave China or enter developed countries made them decide to stay at home. Really the overpadding of the "it's never going to do anything" cotton wool gloves has caused all this panic. If medical people had said "yeah this could go big really fast" nobody would be worried, but when I was insistent that it would indeed make its way here last month everyone had a laugh at me and sat there all smug about how much cleverer they were because they could absorb and regurgitate the opinions of the experts on telly. Gang of knobs. The only problem I have with this virus is its mortality is only 2.8%.
>> No. 21457 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 3:47 pm
21457 spacer
>>21455

> They are far more likely to have come into contact with the virus at the airport as we still see thousands of travellers to and from china every day.

I have a friend who is BA ground personnel in Heathrow. He told me they've had a few staff meetings about the coronavirus, but that they were pretty much just told to keep their distance and avoid physical contact with travellers, and to report any signs of the disease to airport medical assistance that they'll spot on themselves or travellers. I think he said something that they're considering putting up thermal imaging cameras to spot sick passengers if the situation worsens.
>> No. 21458 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 3:49 pm
21458 spacer
>>21456

The mortality rate is the only part that matters though isn't it. Nobody was saying "it will never make it over here", but they were saying "you're making a bigger deal of this than you need to".

The common cold is one of the most infectious, contagious diseases known to man, but you're hardly worried about that are you? It's massive, it infects millions upon millions of people every year. When one person at work gets it, you know it's literally just a matter of time til you've got it too.

Stop being such a spod. There will be no great plague. You should instead be pinning your hopes on anti-microbial resistance.
>> No. 21459 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 3:57 pm
21459 spacer
>>21458

Perhaps the mortality rate was an underlying component of the conversation that I wasn't considering because it was only implied, but as far as I can understand the communications I had on the issue at the time it was usually coronavirus mentioned, some muppet saying it's a load of nothing like SARS, myself stating that it will eventually reach us and in large numbers and then being met with the government advisory relevant to that week. "Nah mate we've shut down the planes." "The government danger rating is 'low'" (ignore the fact that low is actually stage 4 out of 5, if the warning is not 'very low' it's time to be worried) or "just wash your hands and you won't get sick."

My only hope is the load of fat mongs who end up catching coronavirus stampeding to buy face masks cause an earthquake and thus massively up the mortality rate. Alas, you will likely survive this great plague.
>> No. 21460 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 4:06 pm
21460 spacer
>>21459

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/influenza-(seasonal)


>Worldwide, these annual epidemics are estimated to result in about 3 to 5 million cases of severe illness, and about 290 000 to 650 000 respiratory deaths.


What a fucking load of shite. We're worried here about a few hundred, perhaps even a few thousand dead, when during a bad year (or a good year, depending on how much you despise mankind), over half a million people die from basic, generic flu.

The cumulative death toll of all worldwide Coronavirus infections is around 2,700 now:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

So if we say it's been three months since the first outbreak, and we're still at only 2,700 dead, then we've still got a lot of catching up to do to get to any kind of year-on-year figure that makes this anything more than a blip on the screen.
>> No. 21461 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 4:07 pm
21461 spacer
>>21459

It IS a load of nothing like SARS though, the only difference is how far it got. It's killed even LESS people than SARS did, it's literally (literally) a shitter cousin of SARS. It might have slept with more birds but it's made less of them cum. It's the kind of guy women ask "...Was that it?" after he finishes.

Why does it matter if it's highly contagious if it's so piss weak when you get it? There's really no need to put in more effort to stop the spread when the spread will largely be inconsequential.

I really don't understand your problem is. It's like someone told you Farsnley Town Athletic did shit this season, they only won three matches." and you go "BUT THEY HAVE MORE PLAYERS THAN ANYBODY ELSE!"
>> No. 21462 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 4:15 pm
21462 spacer
>>21460
>>21461

Right, so if you lot (everything is finers) had said that at the start we wouldn't be seeing bare shelves in Italy or a reversion to tribal leadership at spearpoint witnessed by the lad with the Chinese friend above now would we?

Really you're just a bother, you start with demonstrably false statements and then when the real world proves you wrong you move on to a different set of statistics to abate the panic you created last month by using a different set of statistics. But you know what the real kicker is? I doubt you're even interested in this, you just got told by some funny haired bow-tied expert on the news that the flu kills loads of people and the coronavirus has barely killed anyone, and here you are parroting it like it's your own idea, a definitive unimpeachable thought for which you are responsible. Odds on you were parroting the weekly changing narrative for the last month as well.

I'm sure you'll be saying it's good that the rich have air controlled bunkers when everyone is dead if they manage to keep the electricity going so you can still get you weekly briefing from the news.
>> No. 21463 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 4:23 pm
21463 spacer
>>21462

No lad. I'm a medical worker who would be personally handling infected blood and testing it if covid made it to my town. I'm telling you this is nothing to worry about. In fact I'd love to fucking get it so I can have two weeks of work.

I'm going to stop encouraging you because you're off your bloody rocker.
>> No. 21464 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 4:28 pm
21464 spacer
>>21463

I'm off my rocker for saying the exact same thing as you but suggesting that the claims "it won't leave China" were wrong? No wonder the NHS is in shambles if this is level of reading comprehension present among an average worker.
>> No. 21465 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 4:31 pm
21465 spacer
>>21464

Show me where anybody said it won't leave China. Nice backpedal though m8.
>> No. 21466 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 4:34 pm
21466 spacer
>>21465

See >>21459 and start reading a patient's medical chart more thoroughly before you kill another one.
>> No. 21467 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 4:35 pm
21467 spacer
>>21466

That doesn't show anybody saying it won't leave China.
>> No. 21468 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 4:39 pm
21468 spacer
>>21462

>you just got told by some funny haired bow-tied expert on the news that the flu kills loads of people and the coronavirus has barely killed anyone, and here you are parroting it like it's your own idea

Own idea or not, you can't argue with those statistics. One is from the WHO, generally a trusted institution on public health statistics, and the other, well, is a commonly accepted figure that is being quoted by most reputable news outlets.


I hope you've got a face mask to go along with your tinfoil hat.
>> No. 21469 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 4:40 pm
21469 spacer
>>21467

As I authored the post and the comments to which I was referring were not defined or described by me, nor were they transcribed from the secret audio recordings I make of all my daily interactions in case I'm challenged about the contents of said interactions by an intern nurse on .gs at a later date, you can guess from context that those are the interactions I was referring to.

Now go back to putting the wrong tube in the wrong catheter you fucking idiot.
>> No. 21470 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 4:42 pm
21470 spacer
>>21468

You're taking a post out of the context of the thread. The argument was not about those statistics and I do not disagree with the statistics of the conclusions reached based on them. My argument is, yet again, that all the mongs saying this would never be a thing have been wrong, and I am happy to be vindicated. I know it won't kill many of them, but seeing them in such a panic because the news told them it would never be a thing makes me very happy.
>> No. 21471 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 4:58 pm
21471 spacer
>>21470

> that all the mongs saying this would never be a thing have been wrong


It still isn't a "thing". Not in actual terms of the severity of the infection and its long-term public health effects.

You're just buying into the fact that it's "a thing". Thinking then makes it so, and next thing you know everybody is completely shitting themselves with fear over a bug that should hardly even make the news at all.

The worldwide hysteria really only started because the virus broke out in a totalitarian country where the government has the power to shut down entire cities of a few hundred thousand people. That has set the standard. So if authorities in Western countries are following suit, it's mainly because politicians don't want to be held accountable if a few dozen people die and they are accused of not having taken the same safety precautions as a bunch of pseudo communists in the world's largest autocratically ruled country.

I know that .gs often prides itself in being casually anti-democratic, but we have really allowed a bunch of bat soup eating maoists to pull the biggest practical joke in years on the entire rest of the world.
>> No. 21472 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 5:09 pm
21472 spacer
>>21471

The panic started because you lot (irl, not on .gs) said it would never leave China because we shut down the planes. Then the week when it did leave china you said the government health warning is "low" so it's not going to come here. Then the week when it did get here you said washing your hands will save your life. Now people are forming bands of Mad Max style roving militia looking for anyone with a sniffle, all because people like you lied at every stage instead of just saying yeah it's probably going to come here but only old folks are going to die.

It wasn't a few hundred thousand btw, it started at 11 million on lockdown in Wuhan with the city itself containing a 7 figure number of inhabitants, not hundreds of thousands, now it's 150 million across all of China. I think it's about 50,000 in Italy.

Here's a link because I know you're going to try to be an arsehole about my 150 million claim and I just can't be arsed stretching this out longer than it has to go on.

https://www.channel4.com/news/150-million-people-are-under-coronavirus-lockdown-in-china
>> No. 21473 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 5:46 pm
21473 spacer
>>21472

Semantics, lad. Semantics.

I'll give you that 150 million people were on lockdown. Which is just over ten percent of China's total population. Kind of an impressive number in its own right.

But the panic didn't start because some of us couldn't be arsed to join in on the panic that was unfolding in China. In fact, a lot of us would do well to be a bit more phlegmatic about the whole thing. So what if people were wrong about the virus coming to Britain, or even just Europe. To the great majority of people, it will make no difference for their health one way or another. And even if you catch the coronavirus, your probability of survival is 97 percent and without any long-term effects at all. You'll spend ten days in bed and then you'll be done with it. And you will have developed an immunity.
>> No. 21474 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 6:08 pm
21474 spacer
>>21472
>The panic started because you lot (irl, not on .gs) said it would never leave China because we shut down the planes.
Let me get this straight. Are you trying to take us to task because you are surrounded by idiots? Nobody here said it wouldn't leave China.

>Then the week when it did get here you said washing your hands will save your life.
Nobody said that either. You were told back then that washing your hands carefully was the correct thing to do to minimise the spread of the disease as much as possible. This remains the case.

>I am happy to be vindicated
You aren't being vindicated, you're being shown to be behaving like a hysterical child.
>> No. 21475 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 6:20 pm
21475 spacer
>>21474

>You aren't being vindicated, you're being shown to be behaving like a hysterical child.

Finally, somebody with some sense.
>> No. 21476 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 6:22 pm
21476 spacer
>>21474

That's the problem with arguing with retards, in the end everyone just looks like a retard. I started this discussion much earlier in the day with this post >>21456 which made it clear I was talking about the idiots I am surrounded by but the ensuing argument over nothing culminated in this, you not following the conversation thread and calling me a hysterical child because you have a small willy. It's so tedious that my responses from here on out will be nonsensical and ad hominem you small willy having pikey.

>>21473

>But the panic didn't start because some of us couldn't be arsed to join in on the panic that was unfolding in China.

It did though, when the news pumps out 3 stories offering more excuses about why we'll be fine in as many weeks and all the retards who want to say words without saying anything parrot those lies people feel betrayed when the news suddenly says "what we said before was a lie, now we're all going to die." (It's not saying that, it's actually saying "what we said before was all a lie but now here's a new reason it will all be fine so believe us again and don't panic, but the former is how people are taking it you carpet-bagger.)

>>21475

Your arsehole is the smelliest arsehole I've ever sniffed. Have a shower.
>> No. 21477 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 7:09 pm
21477 spacer
>>21476
>when the news pumps out 3 stories offering more excuses about why we'll be fine in as many weeks
We have the opposite problem. The reality is that this virus is not a serious threat to most people, certainly no more than a seasonal flu, yet for example some are apparently choosing to throw away plane tickets rather than risk flying. This is akin to hiding under the bed to ensure you don't get hit by a bus; it is an effective but not a proportionate response. Why are people behaving like this? Because the topic has been promoted to front-page news by a scaremongering press, who are quite happy to whip up fear among the credulous, the conspiracists, and those chronically short of critical thinking skills. Congratulations on ticking all three, you daft, dopey bastard.
>> No. 21478 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 7:10 pm
21478 spacer
>>21476

>Your arsehole is the smelliest arsehole I've ever sniffed. Have a shower.

Nobody was asking you to smell it.

I'd lay off on the arse sniffing for the next few weeks. Faeces are one of the ways the virus spreads.
>> No. 21479 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 7:15 pm
21479 spacer
>>21477

Okay Harvey Weinstein.

>>21478

I can't help but smell it. Seriously mate have a fucking shower.
>> No. 21480 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 7:33 pm
21480 spacer
>>21477

> The reality is that this virus is not a serious threat to most people, certainly no more than a seasonal flu, yet for example some are apparently choosing to throw away plane tickets rather than risk flying.

That's what's so fucking mental. And a lot of these people will have travel insurance, so in the event that they actually become ill during their time there and either have to fly home early, or that they'll miss the plane home at the end of it because they're hospitalised and what-have-you, your insurance will usually reimburse some 80 percent of your financial loss. Not to mention that all your medical treatment will otherwise be fully covered.

My girlfriend and I flew to Corfu once, and the air conditioning in our hire car gave me the worst fucking cold I'd had in years on the second day. I spent six days of a ten-day holiday in and out of bed at our hotel as well as half a day in a local hospital waiting room. I never even once complained. Neither did she, although it pretty much spoiled the holiday for her as well.

And now these people throw away what could have been a perfectly fine holiday with no chance of reimbursement, all on the off chance that they'd be among the 2.8 percent that actually die from the disease, just because of some Chinese whispers see what I did there that somebody, one person, on an island with hundreds of thousands of inhabitants may have the coronavirus.

People need a sense of perspective. The Bubonic Plague. THAT was a fucking epidemic. Wiped out half of Europe's population. But not this shite that has been blown way out of proportion.
>> No. 21481 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 7:57 pm
21481 spacer

e532d28c9541a831ad99413cc40c68f6.jpg
214812148121481
OMFG MY FRIEND WHO IS IN WUHAN HEARD SOME BANGING IN HIS BASEMENT. HE WENT TO INVESTIGATE AND FOUND THIS THING - HE MANAGED TO TAKE A PICTURE BEFORE HE SHAT HIMSELF AND RAN OFF. WHAT THE FUCK.
>> No. 21482 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 8:01 pm
21482 spacer
>>21481

Fucking hell, Phil Collins was hit hard by that depression lark.
>> No. 21483 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 8:02 pm
21483 spacer
>>21480

>People need a sense of perspective. The Bubonic Plague. THAT was a fucking epidemic. Wiped out half of Europe's population. But not this shite that has been blown way out of proportion.

The 1918 flu pandemic killed more people than the first world war. Coronavirus isn't the bubonic plague, but flu-like illness is still a big deal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu
>> No. 21485 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 8:27 pm
21485 spacer
>>21483

The Spanish Flu only had a mortality rate of 2-3%, surely all those people that died were just making a big deal out of nothing. I bet they didn't even know to wash their hands the silly sods.

For reference, a 2.7% mortality rate is 1 in 37. I'm sure most of us know 36 people, at least in passing. Yes I'm aware that's not how percentages work, no I don't care.
>> No. 21486 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 9:15 pm
21486 spacer
>>21485

>For reference, a 2.7% mortality rate is 1 in 37. I'm sure most of us know 36 people

You're still assuming an infection rate of 100 percent of the population. That's indeed not how statistics work.

Cancer kills 30 percent of patients. That's almost one in three. I'm just going to hazard a guess that you know three people.
>> No. 21487 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 9:17 pm
21487 spacer
>>21486

Now if only cancer could be transmitted by breathing loudly.
>> No. 21488 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 9:35 pm
21488 spacer
>>21487

You could try it on the three people that you know.
>> No. 21489 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 9:40 pm
21489 spacer
>>21488

I would need cancer first, mind you I probably already have it from this conversation.
>> No. 21490 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 9:47 pm
21490 spacer
>>21489

Cancer spreading through image boards?

Interesting idea.
>> No. 21491 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 9:54 pm
21491 spacer
>>21490

The idea has been around for a while. Are you new to the internet?
>> No. 21492 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 9:56 pm
21492 spacer
>>21491

I guess sarcasm still doesn't spread well over the Internet.
>> No. 21493 Anonymous
25th February 2020
Tuesday 9:56 pm
21493 spacer
>>21492

I apologise, I had no idea you were capable of wit.
>> No. 21494 Anonymous
26th February 2020
Wednesday 12:09 am
21494 spacer
It's only skimming the oldies, nae bother.
>> No. 21495 Anonymous
26th February 2020
Wednesday 12:57 pm
21495 spacer
Chinkmatelad here, work still won't let me go back in. I've spoken to the NHS and they've said it's bloody silly hysteria for what's clearly just a bit of flu but HR are still shitting themselves. I'm far more worried about what the cabin fever is doing to my flimsy sanity.
>> No. 21496 Anonymous
26th February 2020
Wednesday 3:00 pm
21496 spacer
>>21495

I'm feeling a bit under myself, I think I am coming down with a cold or a flu the last two to three days. No cases of coronavirus have been reported here in Glasgow as yet, and I can't say I've spent much time among large groups of people or in public places in the last two weeks, so it's probably really just that.
>> No. 21498 Anonymous
26th February 2020
Wednesday 8:03 pm
21498 spacer

CoronaVirus.jpg
214982149821498
>>21438

WHO let the virus out?
WHO-WHO-Wuhan!
WHO let the virus out??
>> No. 21499 Anonymous
26th February 2020
Wednesday 8:14 pm
21499 spacer
For the latest up to date information this is informative:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
>> No. 21500 Anonymous
26th February 2020
Wednesday 8:52 pm
21500 spacer
>>21499
It looks like the thing we have to worry about most is people recovering.
>> No. 21501 Anonymous
26th February 2020
Wednesday 10:41 pm
21501 spacer

hken.png
215012150121501
>>21499
You're not the only one who finds it informative.

>>21500
The relatively low mortality is actually a reason to be concerned. It has already killed more people in a couple of months than much more deadly viral strains like SARS or avian flu have in decades because people infected people typically remain healthy enough to spread it.
>> No. 21502 Anonymous
26th February 2020
Wednesday 11:09 pm
21502 spacer

coronavirus-face-masks.jpg
215022150221502
Looks like face masks and rubber gloves are becoming a hot commodity. You even read stories around the web that hospitals are starting to struggle procuring them.

Nice porn name though.
>> No. 21505 Anonymous
27th February 2020
Thursday 12:56 pm
21505 spacer
So a lad said he had flu symptoms and I said he should see what official advice is (while well aware that the risk to his health is low) >>21431.

I return to the thread a few days later and a full blown cunt off has ensued about whether people are panicking unnecessarily, or causing panic unnecessarily, or whether washing hands is right or wrong. What the hell happened? If you think you've caught the novel coronavirus, it's not dangerous to you personally, but you should stay home from work and let the authorities know you have it. Honestly why is this a difficult or contentious thing?
>> No. 21506 Anonymous
27th February 2020
Thursday 1:27 pm
21506 spacer
>>21505

>a full blown cunt off has ensued

Welcome to .gs, ladm8.
>> No. 21507 Anonymous
27th February 2020
Thursday 10:46 pm
21507 spacer
I’ve got a really shitty feeling about this.
>> No. 21508 Anonymous
27th February 2020
Thursday 10:50 pm
21508 spacer
>>21507

It's probably coronavirus. Do you have a will?
>> No. 21509 Anonymous
27th February 2020
Thursday 11:15 pm
21509 spacer
>>21508
No, I’m exceedingly indifferent.
>> No. 21510 Anonymous
27th February 2020
Thursday 11:24 pm
21510 spacer
>>21508
It sounds more like dysentery.

Return ] Entire Thread ] First 100 posts ] Last 50 posts ]
whiteline

Delete Post []
Password