[ rss / options / help ]
post ]
[ b / iq / g / zoo ] [ e / news / lab ] [ v / nom / pol / eco / emo / 101 / shed ]
[ art / A / beat / boo / com / fat / job / lit / map / mph / poof / £$€¥ / spo / uhu / uni / x / y ] [ * | sfw | o ]
logo
politics

Return ] Entire Thread ] Last 50 posts ]

Posting mode: Reply
Reply ]
Subject   (reply to 78448)
Message
File  []
close
ireland?.jpg
784487844878448
>> No. 78448 Anonymous
7th October 2016
Friday 5:25 pm
78448 spacer
I voted leave but isn't this all going a bit too far now?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/07/lse-brexit-non-uk-experts-foreign-academics

>Leading foreign academics acting as expert advisers to the UK government have been told they will not be asked to contribute to government work and analysis on Brexit because they are not British nationals.


Coupled with the listing of migrant workers (what does this achieve anyway?) it's all getting a bit out of hand.
Expand all images.
>> No. 78450 Anonymous
7th October 2016
Friday 5:47 pm
78450 spacer
My granddad was in the Wehrmacht. He came to Britain in the early '50s. He has never really talked about what happened to him during the war. He suffered from terrible nightmares, crying out in his sleep in German. The nightmares stopped about 20 years ago, but started again in the last few weeks. Nan won't let him watch the news, because it upsets him too much.
>> No. 78452 Anonymous
7th October 2016
Friday 6:25 pm
78452 spacer
NONE OF THAT FOREIGN MUCK.
>> No. 78453 Anonymous
7th October 2016
Friday 6:37 pm
78453 spacer

image.jpg
784537845378453
>>78452
>> No. 78454 Anonymous
7th October 2016
Friday 6:49 pm
78454 spacer
>>I voted leave but isn't this all going a bit too far now?

You dug your own grave. Enjoy watching Little England sink to third world toilet status within two decades.
>> No. 78455 Anonymous
7th October 2016
Friday 6:52 pm
78455 spacer
>>78448
Don't call it a grave. It's the future you and everyone like you chose.
>> No. 78456 Anonymous
7th October 2016
Friday 6:57 pm
78456 spacer
>>78448
>I voted leave but isn't this all going a bit too far now?

>marking out foreigners
>presuring them out of their jobs

It is begining to feel like voting to leave the EU was apparently all the mandate needed for the unelected Theresa May to begin upon the vision of mein kampf. It seems so absurd saying that because it should be hyperbole but it isn't.

I can't see anythings positive to come from making up lists of migrant workers and the govenment setting a precedent that they aren't wanted (even at the most unique skill level), it's the first step towards empowering racist vigilantes.
>> No. 78457 Anonymous
7th October 2016
Friday 7:10 pm
78457 spacer
>>78455
No, it's the future that you and people like you chose on behalf of me and people like me.
>> No. 78458 Anonymous
7th October 2016
Friday 7:20 pm
78458 spacer

image.jpg
784587845878458
>>78457

You, me, you me. Make your mind up bruv.
>> No. 78460 Anonymous
7th October 2016
Friday 7:23 pm
78460 spacer
I don't really care.
>> No. 78462 Anonymous
7th October 2016
Friday 7:31 pm
78462 spacer
To be honest I voted remain but had the vote gone my way the government would still be incompetent and ham-handed. At least austerity is apparently going to stop soon.

Do we even have enough expert advisers as it is?
>> No. 78463 Anonymous
7th October 2016
Friday 7:35 pm
78463 spacer
>>78462
>Austerity
We're such pussies on this.
>> No. 78464 Anonymous
7th October 2016
Friday 7:43 pm
78464 spacer
>>78460

Thank you for yet another groundbreaking analysis Professor. I await your next paper.
>> No. 78468 Anonymous
7th October 2016
Friday 9:25 pm
78468 spacer
>>78455
>>78456
You might say the old 'I told you so', but did anybody really forsee Theresa 'I'm as moderate and safe as they come' May turning into a literal Hitler?

We weren't meant to demonise the poor bastards, just limit them to sensible numbers.

This has all got way out of hand. I usually hate wanky people crying how scary the government is because of this and that but it's genuinely intimidating and I'm a British national.
>> No. 78470 Anonymous
7th October 2016
Friday 11:03 pm
78470 spacer

Snooper the snooping lady.jpg
784707847078470
>>78468
>did anybody really forsee Theresa 'I'm as moderate and safe as they come' May turning into a literal Hitler?

While I wouldn't go throwing terms like 'literal Hitler' around its fairly obvious she was going to take an authoritarian term with all her talk of scrapping the ECHR in the past. Of course if she did want to turn into literal Hitler who is going to stop her? We're an effective one party state where the majority of the press are in bed with the government.

The hatchet has been buried with conservative backbenchers, Labour are a joke, UKIP is dead (but she has taken their platform anyway) and the liberal democrats are electorally irrelevant. The Tories even seem to be turning it around in Scotland. Who are you going to vote for?
>> No. 78471 Anonymous
7th October 2016
Friday 11:09 pm
78471 spacer
>>78470
I'm one of those white working class northern Labour voters who felt left behind by a London-centric system and wanted to send a message.

Considering Labour have been hijacked by the type of cunt who judged me at uni for my accent and thought they knew what living in poor post-industrial estates with no prospects was like I have nobody to vote for.

UKIP, let's face it, are pretty much a semi-acceptable face of dolphin rape. I'd never vote tory, particularly not with this witch hunt of people who want to make a better life for themselves.

Lib dems, irrelevant. Greens, don't get me started.

I probably won't vote, unless Tony Blair comes back and forms a centrist Labour with Hilary Benn.
>> No. 78472 Anonymous
7th October 2016
Friday 11:12 pm
78472 spacer
>>78470
>The Tories even seem to be turning it around in Scotland
Not really. They're definitely improving, but they're still less relevant than the SNP in 1999 (both in raw votes, which i did not expect, and in %, which I did.)

They're basically floating up just because Labour has totally died. The press supporting the government on this sort of thing is an unsettling situation, though. (The one thing about Scotland is that even with the utter death of the opposition, the press has generally been opposed to the SNP, which helps maintain a limited semblance of fairness to affairs.)
>> No. 78473 Anonymous
7th October 2016
Friday 11:12 pm
78473 spacer
>>78471
>I probably won't vote, unless Tony Blair comes back and forms a centrist Labour with Hilary Benn.

I really hope this happens, with or without Blair. I'm sticking it out in Labour because some people need to be around to vote for change in the party. The hard bit will be getting people like you to engage with internal Labour politics so we can kick these fucking cunts out.
>> No. 78474 Anonymous
7th October 2016
Friday 11:14 pm
78474 spacer
>>78471
>I hate a London-centric Labour party who left behind the working class.
>That's why I want a centrist Labour party with Blair and Benn, even though Blairism was essentially predicated on the idea that Scotland/Northern England/Wales had nowhere else to go, allowing them to move right and capture middle-England swing seats.
...What?
>> No. 78476 Anonymous
7th October 2016
Friday 11:25 pm
78476 spacer
>>78473

I'm already a member, but completely distance myself from the entryism what has effectively turned the party I joined into a hard-left party.

>>78474
Corbyn's 'accept as many immigrants as we can and btw spend 500 billion' doesn't appeal to me.

I like the country I live in, I don't particularly care about the Queen, nor do I think it's anybody's choice but Northern Ireland's choice who they associate with. Hamas aren't friends and I have no problem with jews.

People can say what they like about Blair, and they often do, but under him my shitty northern town had an increase in doctors, nurses, health care provisions and centres, social programmes and social policies that really started to put a dent in the old boy's club.

I didn't really appreciate these things growing up until the investment dried up thanks to austerity and pretty much every social programme and health centre we relied on shut down.

I didn't appreciate having a Labour party that wasn't diametrically opposed to British values but was also sensible in its economic policy and wanted to actually invest in the shitholes left behind.

Yes, Tony Blair had to capture middle England and moved towards that. Again, it's no problem for me. I'm not a retard, so I understand that it's necessary to win elections. Id rather have a diluted manifesto actually implemented than a hard left one that never gets put in place because Corbyn is too stupid to realise he actually needs middle England to win.
>> No. 78480 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 12:06 am
78480 spacer
>>78471
I ended up settling on the Lib dems last year. They seem harmless and should be rewarded for all the work they are inevitably going to be doing in the Lords (much as Tim Farron plays it down in his idiot tone).

Consider it the new protest party that is easier to take over.

>>78472
>Not really. They're definitely improving

So they are turning it around. My point was though that the SNP is not in a position to challenge the Tories on national issues with even the threat of blocking Brexit being a patchwork operation with such political heavyweights as the Green party.

Maybe at some point the regional parties can come together as some kind of 'BNP' to win over English voters so we can have that nice Leanne Wood lady as PM.
>> No. 78481 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 12:12 am
78481 spacer
>>78476
>I didn't appreciate having a Labour party that wasn't diametrically opposed to British values
New Labour were massive cheerleaders for multiculturalism and otherwise "modernizing" (Americanizing and destroying) British culture and values.
>Id rather have a diluted manifesto actually implemented than a hard left one that never gets put in place because Corbyn is too stupid to realise he actually needs middle England to win.
I don't want any manifesto implemented that funds new hospitals via ruinous PFI schemes that pile debt onto the NHS and will lead to cutbacks in a few years once Labour's out of power. Blair's legacy was complete and utter shit.

It's not even that he was "too right wing", if he just hadn't spent money at all that'd be fine, but he did, he spent it in the most ridiculous of ways. If Blair had just been a smarmy electioneering cunt like Salmond that would've been fine - but that's not what Blair was. Blair had a definite political project and it was one of the ugliest things in the history of our nation.

I mean this is New Labour in a sentence:
>A Labour council, operating under a Labour Scottish Executive and a Labour government at Westminster, needed to spend £150m on its schools, but rather than use a small fraction of the effectively free money that was sitting around unspent in the Executive’s coffers, signed off on a PFI contract that would cost Scottish taxpayers £729m to do the exact same job.
I'd be inclined to say I'd take the Conservatives over this insanity, but they're inclined to the very same thing because PFI has one small value - hiding something that is essentially debt off balance sheet (at a massive premium for doing so.)
>> No. 78482 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 12:28 am
78482 spacer
>>78481
That's right lad. New Labour didn't achieve anything. Any more copy-pasted items from your latest Momentum newsletter you'd care to share?
>> No. 78483 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 1:14 am
78483 spacer
>>78482
Yes, when I implied "It's better to spend no money at all than to blow it irresponsibly" what I really meant was "Jeremy Corbyn was right-on, saying we should dump Trident but keep the Submarines."

New Labour were chronic underachievers and their record on civil liberties was fucking abysmal. (Come on Citizen, get your ID card out or it's a month's detention without charge.) You can't whitewash this with "muh-inimum wage!!!" or pretend that just for being revolted by this I must be part of Mementum.
>> No. 78484 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 1:18 am
78484 spacer
>>78483
>You can't whitewash this with "muh-inimum wage!!!"

Ah, I can see you're one of those 'I'm not one of the people who benefited the most from New Labour, therefore they achieved nothing' sorts.
>> No. 78485 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 2:11 am
78485 spacer
>>78476
>I'm not a retard
Yet apparently you somehow failed to grasp the basic notion that the referendum was not an appropriate venue to "send a message" about feeling "left behind by a London-centric system".
>> No. 78486 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 3:07 am
78486 spacer
>>78484
I didn't say they achieved nothing, I said it's pathetic to whitewash their innumerable failures with "But they did some good things!"

The Nazis lead some of the earliest anti-smoking campaigns after recognizing the health risk posed by cigarettes: that's still not going to un-invade Poland.
>> No. 78487 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 9:10 am
78487 spacer
>>78481

Yes but the thing is, Tony Blair has several times come out and accepted that was a mistake. I have no problems with parties saying they've learnt. New Labour clearly learnt that message, which is why Miliband got shit for allowing mugs to be sold at conference which said 'controls on immigration.'

Pragmatic Labour centrists are now willing to take it on.

Again, I have no problem with some very small private contracts to improve services as long as the basic premise stays the same.

You can list one or two things you hate, but they did so much for shit northern people like me, middle class southern people who don't live in these towns and just scoff, like you're doing, and go 'but there was some privatisation!!!11!!!'

Before you say you personally are not middle class, that's not the point.

>>78485
Ahh, more sneering is it?

I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about, because it worked perfectly.

The parties are scrambling and Theresa May has quite bonkers with it all, but they're paying attention now. They're trying anything radical because they've understood, it just wasn't working the way it was.

I can't fault them for trying, even though they're getting the message and implementation catastrophically wrong, it sent out something very clear. If we had have voted to stay, it would have been business as usual.

>>78486
This is typical pathetic smearing. So the good things Tony Blair did are only comparable to anti-smoking campaigns and the rest is literal Nazism ? Get a fucking grip. This is when people stop to take the good points you say seriously.



It cracks me up. Guardian commentators and middle class people alike just don't get it.

'The pound's down! Holiday's are more expensive! Stocks are going haywire and increasing but only because the pound is cheap, they're gonna fall! Our national standing has been decreased! The city will lose billions.'

Nobody fails to grasp that people still voted out because they've been left behind, they can't afford the holidays, they can't afford to exchange currency and go away anyway, they don't have shares in anything, they'll never get a cushy London job and the banks mean nothing to them, they just have their depressing post-industrial existence that had it's only supply line cut because of said bankers, who got all the money to bail them out. They don't want to be part of a feel good EU club because nothing about it feels good for them.

The EU wasn't the archnemesis, and if anything, it improved a lot of money distribution in the UK and spent on proejcts that the UK govt never would have, but by upsetting the whole system, frustration could finally be voiced.

Yet, rather than understand this message, people still are sneering. Madness.
>> No. 78489 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 10:06 am
78489 spacer
>>78483

>New Labour were chronic underachievers and their record on civil liberties was fucking abysmal.

Those underachieving bastards, introducing the Human rights act, the single most significant piece of legislation for civil liberties in english legal history, a piece of work so significant it affects the interpretation of every other english law, and the behaviour of every govenment institution, it prevented various anti-terror laws comming into effect and has been a constant thorn in the side of Theresa Mays political carear of trying to build her police state, so much so she has tried ever way she can to subvert it and even as prime minister with no serious opposition party and is struggling to do so.

Do you litterally ignore the things going on around you and just spout buzzword opinions without thinking about the reality of your statements? Or did you realise you could get more attention as a child by insisting the sky was green and never grew out of it?
>> No. 78492 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 11:00 am
78492 spacer
>>78489
Ah yes, the Human Rights Act, which they utterly failed at embedding into the public consciousness as "a good thing" and instead allowed the Daily Mail to steer the narrative towards "Gives criminals the legal right to rape you."

The human rights act was great, Shame we're about to lose it thanks to the far reaching toxic legacy of a toxic man. But hey, at least we got 16-18 years out of it. Better than nothing :^) eh?
>> No. 78512 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 3:17 pm
78512 spacer
>>78487
>Ahh, more sneering is it?
No, just a simple factual observation. We have elections for a reason. If you wanted to send the message "I feel left behind", then it won't have been heard. The message the government will have taken is "I want us to leave the EU", and what you'll get is the UK out of the EU but still feeling left behind.
>> No. 78514 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 3:25 pm
78514 spacer
>>78489
You are referencing a government that wanted to extend detention without charge to 90 days.
>> No. 78515 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 3:35 pm
78515 spacer
>>78512

>They find your patriotism distasteful, your concerns about immigration parochial, your views about crime illiberal, your attachment to your job security inconvenient.

>It was about a sense – deep, profound and let’s face it often justified – that many people have today that the world works well for a privileged few, but not for them.

>It was a vote not just to change Britain’s relationship with the European Union, but to call for a change in the way our country works – and the people for whom it works – forever.

>They find the fact that more than seventeen million voters decided to leave the European Union simply bewildering.

>Because if you’re well off and comfortable, Britain is a different country and these concerns are not your concerns. It’s easy to dismiss them - easy to say that all you want from government is for it to get out of the way.

>But a change has got to come. It’s time to remember the good that government can do.


I know it's easy to try and point score by pretending that there's no nuance to these things and literally all we can ascertain from it is an anti-EU public, but it seems to me the top brass on both sides are getting the message, as Theresa May (who I can't stand) said.

It's quite clear the message it sent.
>> No. 78516 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 3:38 pm
78516 spacer
>>78515
>but it seems to me the top brass on both sides are getting the message
Yes, they're getting the message that people like you are gullible idiots. They think that you'll actually believe that they're listening, while they set about delivering the reality I've described, where our international standing is affected but you still get left behind.

I'm sorry if the truth hurts, m7.
>> No. 78517 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 3:42 pm
78517 spacer
You heard it here lads. Tony and the gang were pathetic for trying to get the human rights record straight, they couldn't foresee right wing populists and a prolonged media smear campaign against it when they legislated for the better.

For that reason, fuck Tony Blair who had the ability to get to positions of power to try and improve lives, and just support Corbyn instead. He's done really well and no sort of media campaign agianst anything he'd do in power (in power, lol) would ever happen.
>> No. 78518 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 3:47 pm
78518 spacer
>>78516

A minute ago you were saying that the message won't have been heard. Now you're saying it's been heard but they just won't pay attention.

Whatever I say you'll be unhappy with it, and that's fine, but to pretend that this vote didn't send a shockwave of desperation and 'we'll take the radical route because the status quo just isn't working for us anymore' is ludicrous, as I've just shown you by literally taking a few excerpts from Theresa May.

Whether they do anything they say is up to them, but they're aware they at least need to be doing something now or look like it.

I think the truth is hurting you.
>> No. 78520 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 4:07 pm
78520 spacer
>>78518
>A minute ago you were saying that the message won't have been heard. Now you're saying it's been heard but they just won't pay attention.
Nope. Try again.

May is talking a good game. She's trying to get you to believe that she's listening to you and taking your message on board. Going by your reaction, she's succeeding, but don't make the mistake of thinking she's genuinely taking it to heart.

We will leave the EU. You will still be left behind. This is the bed you've made for yourself.
>> No. 78521 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 4:09 pm
78521 spacer
>>78520
Better than being in the EU and being left behind.

GET IN MY BED.
>> No. 78523 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 4:21 pm
78523 spacer
>>78492
DAILY MAIL CRITICISES LEFT WING POLICY AND IS FEAR MONGERING SHOCKER!


>>78514

But they couldn't because of that legislation, I'm not hearing a legitable argument here, given that they didn't, and that they improved civil liberties to the best state they have ever been in. Were they perfect, no. Were they the best government for civil liberties since Lord Grenville. Yes.
>> No. 78524 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 4:33 pm
78524 spacer
>>78520
>Try again

If it wasn't you, you basically alluded to the same thoughts as the post I was on about.

>Going by your reaction, she's succeeding, but don't make the mistake of thinking she's genuinely taking it to heart.

I specifically said
>Whether they do anything they say is up to them, but they're aware they at least need to be doing something now or look like it.


Maybe you're just thick. I never said voting to leave the EU would lead to a golden age of not getting shafted by elites, it just sent a message. You've conflated it, but again, maybe you're thick or maybe you just want an internet disagreement.

Regardless, as I originally said, it sent a message. It's quite clearly been heeded.
>> No. 78527 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 4:40 pm
78527 spacer
>>78524
>If it wasn't you, you basically alluded to the same thoughts as the post I was on about.
Only if you're the sort of thicko that thought voting to leave the EU was an appropriate way of bloodying the government's nose.

>I never said voting to leave the EU would lead to a golden age of not getting shafted by elites, it just sent a message.
Yes. It sent a message saying that you're a thicko who'd rather ruin the country than actually have someone try and address your concerns. So congratulations, the government is going to pull us out of the EU and pretend that this somehow will make your life less shit.

>It's quite clearly been heeded.
If you say so, luv. They've definitely heeded the message and aren't merely engaging in typical populist politics as usual.
>> No. 78529 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 4:44 pm
78529 spacer
>>78527
So it was you.

You really don't understand do you? I honestly don't know how many more times it can be said.

People whinging about the country being ruined through leaving the EU don't realise, to the people overlooked, not just 'Hurrr my kid only got into York and not into Oxbridge' aspiring middle class, but for those really suffering, it was already fucking ruined.

There was nothing they had to lose, so they voted for the extreme. It doesn't matter if the pound crashes, the FTSE is down, etc. They never had a stake in it anyway.

Your posts read like the Guardian comment section where people just think it's a stupid working class that doesn't know what's good for them and they're all stupid. I can't imagine being so fucking self-absorbed.
>> No. 78531 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 5:07 pm
78531 spacer
>>78517
He was in power when the media were smearing it and utterly failed to mount an effective defence.

Your continued insistence that everyone who dislikes Blair must by nature love Corbyn is pathetic. The pair of them signing a suicide pact would be a godsend to the country.

>>78523
Daily Mail criticises policy
Government keeps quiet in hopes they'll get tired and talk about how guilty Amanda Knox is instead.
>> No. 78532 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 5:16 pm
78532 spacer
>>78529
>people just think it's a stupid working class that doesn't know what's good for them and they're all stupid.
Gee, I wonder where those people might have got that impression.
>> No. 78533 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 5:30 pm
78533 spacer
>>78532
Probably in their weekly wank-each-other-off-with-Abdul-and-Jeremy sessions.
>> No. 78534 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 5:37 pm
78534 spacer
>>78532

When they sit in a North London pub saying how great immigration is before catching the train back to Buckinghamshire where it's full of rich white people.

This is after wanking each other off about how European and cultured they feel by the way.
>> No. 78536 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 5:51 pm
78536 spacer
>>78533
>>78534
Yep, must be the wanking sessions. Obviously doesn't have any basis in reality.
>> No. 78537 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 5:54 pm
78537 spacer
>>78536
Oh wow, you mean they don't actually all wank each other other sanctimoniously just like all northerners aren't smelly, stupid racists?

Wow mate, tell me more.
>> No. 78538 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 6:00 pm
78538 spacer
>>78537
Nah m8, them working class folk are all well clever and that. They all know far better than any of them "experts" wiv their silly numbers an' shit. If them "experts" think any diffrent its coz their numbers are all wrong, innit.
>> No. 78540 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 6:18 pm
78540 spacer
>>78538
Imagine being this supercilious. What a bellend.
>> No. 78541 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 6:21 pm
78541 spacer
I fucking hate the liberal middle class.
>> No. 78544 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 6:51 pm
78544 spacer
>>78540
I know, right? Those daft working class folk, thinking they're superior.
>> No. 78545 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 7:00 pm
78545 spacer
I voted leave and I am okay with this. I never really cared about all these foreigners. They can all fuck off if they don't like it.
>> No. 78548 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 7:18 pm
78548 spacer
>>78545

Trying way too hard lad, it's too obvious.
>> No. 78552 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 7:54 pm
78552 spacer
>>78538
>They all know far better than any of them "experts" wiv their silly numbers an' shit.

Haven't the IMF come out this week and said their forecasts on Brexit were hopelessly wrong and were far too pessimistic? Then again, they spent 2014 supporting Osborne's "deficit reduction plan" and encouraged other European nations to copy our hard austerity.

Maybe if they stopped spouting any old bollocks, like how we'd face economic ruin if we didn't join the Euro, then they'd be more trusted but economics is more-or-less stating the obvious and making an educated guess rather than an exact science.
>> No. 78554 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 8:03 pm
78554 spacer
>>78552
Are you always this ignorant, or just when you're posting on /pol/?

>Haven't the IMF come out this week and said their forecasts on Brexit were hopelessly wrong
No.

>Then again, they spent 2014 supporting Osborne's "deficit reduction plan" and encouraged other European nations to copy our hard austerity.
Also no.

But, of course, let's not let reality get in the way of BUT DEM EXPERTS DUN NO SHIT M6, eh?
>> No. 78556 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 8:11 pm
78556 spacer
>>78554

Didn't they?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/oct/04/imf-peak-pessimism-brexit-eu-referendum-european-union-international-monetary-fund


https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/oct/04/britain-fastest-growing-g7-economy-imf-international-monetary-fund-brexit-vote

>The International Monetary Fund has predicted the UK will be the fastest growing of the G7 leading industrial countries this year and accepted that its prediction of a post-Brexit-vote financial crash has proved to be overly pessimistic.
>> No. 78557 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 8:11 pm
78557 spacer
>>78554
>No.

I definitely recall reading it on the Grauniad this week.

>Also no.

Also, yes.

>After completing its two-week annual assessment of the UK economy, the IMF said in its so-called Article IV report: “The planned fiscal adjustment this year is appropriate.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10881540/IMF-accepts-it-was-wrong-on-George-Osbornes-austerity.html

>IMF tells rest of Europe to copy George Osborne's austerity drive

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/imf-downgrades-european-forecasts-and-tells-countries-to-copy-osborne-s-austerity-drive-9780028.html

I know it's scary when facts and the truth don't support your viewpoint, but sometimes you have to accept reality rather than trying all sorts of mental gymnastics to support the narrative you've built up.
>> No. 78558 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 8:26 pm
78558 spacer
>>78555
>I definitely recall reading it on the Grauniad this week.
They said they were off, they didn't say they were "hopelessly wrong".

>Also, yes.
No, sorry. Maybe if you wilfully misread and misinterpret the reports involved and ignore a lot of materially relevant facts, but otherwise, no. The Article IV report in particular refers to Osborne's toned down plans. They reference to "playing with fire" is talking about his original plans, which were much more severe.
>> No. 78559 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 8:27 pm
78559 spacer
>>78557
In the article linked, I can see no explicit quote from an IMF guy endorsing Austerity.

Just "Britain and America are doing well, everyone else is fucking shit." which while an "endorsement" in the sense of showing good things about the UK relative to everyone else, doesn't actually explicitly endorse austerity so much as state the forecasts are better. For all it (hypothetically) mattered, the forecast was better because they thought Scotland would fuck off and this would be a net gain for public finances.
>> No. 78560 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 8:31 pm
78560 spacer
>>78556
>But while the Washington-based IMF said Britain would have a “soft landing” in 2016 with growth of 1.8%, it stuck to its view that the economy would eventually suffer from the shock EU referendum result and said expansion next year would be just 1.1% – lower than it expected in the immediate aftermath of the Brexit vote.
>Maurice Obstfeld, the IMF’s economic counsellor, said the fund had been right to warn about the risks of Brexit but added: “We are looking at a soft landing for 2016. We are happy about the outcome.”
Not exactly "hopelessly wrong".
>> No. 78564 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 8:48 pm
78564 spacer
>>78560
They predicted an immediate recession, stock market crash and huge fall in property prices.
>> No. 78571 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 9:26 pm
78571 spacer
>The number of homophobic attacks more than doubled in the three months after the Brexit vote, with toxicity fostered by the EU referendum debate spreading beyond race and religion, new figures suggest.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/oct/08/homophobic-attacks-double-after-brexit-vote
>> No. 78574 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 10:58 pm
78574 spacer
>>78571

The way the Guardian writes shit about Brexit is fucking comedy. Oh no the Nazis are coming back etc etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLsqmEc8l0I

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/8663/germany-migrants-rape
>> No. 78575 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 11:06 pm
78575 spacer
>>78574
Nice links, lad. I'm sure they were relevant somehow.
>> No. 78576 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 11:27 pm
78576 spacer
>>78574
How can you even be so dense.
>> No. 78577 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 11:29 pm
78577 spacer
>>78564
Did they say after the vote, or after actually leaving?

Because there is of course the minor fact that nothing has happened yet.
>> No. 78579 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 11:38 pm
78579 spacer
>>78571
I don't know about this, someone tells a Pole to fuck off and I see a connection but I've not heard anyone complain about gays coming over 'ere sucking all our dicks. Homophobic attacks have gone up for the past 10 years so there is that but then again 'LGBT anti-violence charity' sounds a bit biased and we have the problem of rises in reported crime. Nothing against LGBT and voted Remain I just question the data.

>Nik Noone, Galop’s chief executive, said: “UK responses to hate crime are among the best in the world but our hate crime laws are far from perfect. The highest prison sentence a court can give for homophobic, transphobic or disability common assault is six months.

I mean its obvious they have an agenda and one that I don't agree with (raising sentences that is) therefore its doubly suspicious. The conclusion that should be reached is that treating causes of offence differently doesn't work because you just end up with a long list of special crimes and people upset that they aren't covered them. Lightly touching a someone in a threatening manner (without being ABH) doesn't in my mind justify more than 6 months in prison even if it motivated against a minority group and the money spent on punishment would be better used educating and the like.

Galop of course would love to put pressure on the government to raise sentencing and they look at the data to support that. You get me?
>> No. 78580 Anonymous
8th October 2016
Saturday 11:48 pm
78580 spacer

B1WxrEiIgAARn7k.jpg
785807858078580
>>78576

And your point is.....

Go on, tell me.
>> No. 78592 Anonymous
9th October 2016
Sunday 2:56 am
78592 spacer
>I've not heard anyone complain about gays coming over 'ere sucking all our dicks

Good point made ladm8. The Guardian is up it's arse on such Brexit scaremongering matters. Pun intended.
>> No. 78596 Anonymous
9th October 2016
Sunday 7:38 am
78596 spacer
>>78579
If you look at the figures in the report, the 200% rise in gay hate crime or whatever is an increase the numbers being reported to that specific charity from like 7 to 21.

Return ] Entire Thread ] Last 50 posts ]
whiteline

Delete Post []
Password