[ rss / options / help ]
post ]
[ b / iq / g / zoo ] [ e / news / lab ] [ v / nom / pol / eco / emo / 101 / shed ]
[ art / A / beat / boo / com / fat / job / lit / map / mph / poof / £$€¥ / spo / uhu / uni / x / y ] [ * | sfw | o ]
logo
politics

Return ] Entire Thread ] Last 50 posts ]

Posting mode: Reply
Reply ]
Subject   (reply to 79331)
Message
File  []
close
GettyImages-182289778.jpg
793317933179331
>> No. 79331 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 2:05 pm
79331 spacer
A handy guide to Left-wing people for the under 10s

https://life.spectator.co.uk/2016/10/a-handy-guide-to-left-wing-people-for-the-under-10s/
Expand all images.
>> No. 79332 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 2:06 pm
79332 spacer
Left-wing people in the olden days

Left-wing people used to like working-class people.

Lots of left-wing people used to be working-class people. These people were known as socialists and joined trade unions.

Sometimes working-class people used to frighten left-wing people, but they pretended that they weren’t frightened and were nice to them.

Left-wing people supported working-class people, gave them money, sat in rooms with them and wore badges to show that they cared more than right-wing people, who wore ties instead of badges and didn’t care.

>> No. 79333 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 2:07 pm
79333 spacer
Nowadays

Nowadays, working-class people are bored with socialism because it hasn’t made them rich and happy.

Nowadays left-wing people are middle-class people. Working class people are a big disappointment to left-wing people.

Left wing people now think that working class people are:
a) Simple and easily led
b) Un-enlightened and susceptible to short-term pleasures
c) Terribly sad and struggling, unable to cope on their own
d) All of the above

>> No. 79334 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 2:08 pm
79334 spacer
Education is a life-long task

Left-wing people think that working-class people are unable to think for themselves and require life-long education to help them make informed decisions.

Left-wing people work tirelessly on education programmes to encourage working class people to buy expensive food and clothes and not cheap food and clothes. They are disappointed that working-class people are un-ethical.

Working-class people like to drink alcohol, have sex and eat tasty food. They do not understand that these activities are dangerous and need continuous education from left-wing people.

Working-class people need to be protected from newspapers, even though they don’t read them anymore. They are easily influenced and their happy-go-lucky ways can be turned into bigoted nasty ways. Left-wing people are needed to help them use Facebook carefully and not make mistakes.

>> No. 79336 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 2:09 pm
79336 spacer
Left-wing people like to be sad and unhappy

Many left-wing people have a very nice life, but they like to be sad. To help with this, they choose to be sad for other people. Sometimes these people are far away and sometimes they are nearby, but different to them.

In the olden days, left-wing people tried to make it better for other people. Nowadays, they like to protect them by being offended when a working-class person doesn’t behave properly.

Left-wing like to help other people by being offended on their behalf. This means that the other people can carry on with their lives and the left-wing people do all the work. This isn’t really fair, but the left-wing people seem to carry on doing it, so they must enjoy it. Despite all this effort left-wing people are still very sad.

>> No. 79337 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 2:10 pm
79337 spacer
Left-wing people care more than other people

Left-wing people care so much that they love the whole entire planet. Other people don’t care about the planet, they only care about themselves and other people that they know. This means that left-wing people have to love the planet even more, even more than they actually like other people.

Left-wing people show that they care by telling other people about how much they care. They send special “I care” signals to other people. Forwarding videos on Facebook is one way that they can show how much they care. The videos often show people far away who are living miserable lives, but pictures of cute fluffy chickens in nasty factories are considered sufficient.

Left-wing activists (see below) are very helpful. They make lots of “I care” videos which makes it quick and easy for left-wing people to send their “signals”. They do this several times throughout each day when they are not busy.

>> No. 79339 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 2:12 pm
79339 spacer
Sometimes Left-wing people are made angry by other people

Left-wing people care so much, it makes them hate people who don’t show that they care. These people are right-wing people. Left-wing people have given them a name. It is “Tory scum”. Left-wing people like to shout at the right-wing people and tell them that they are scum even when they aren’t listening.

Shouting at the Tories is another way to show that they care. Caring is very important to left-wing people.

Left-wing people care so deeply that they don’t have time for thinking and convincing. They use their precious time for shouting about caring.

Also, working-class people don’t know what left-wing people are saying, so it is helpful when they point to the right-wing people and shout “scum”. They think that working-class people do understand shouting and caring.

If you have observed someone and you are not sure if they are a left-wing person, seek their opinion on “the Tories”. If they start to shout and care, they are left-wing.

>> No. 79340 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 2:13 pm
79340 spacer
Left-wing activists are helpful

Left-wing activists are left-wing people who have an internet connection. They make the internet very loud.

Left-wing activists help other people care on the internet. They are very helpful in pointing out when people have forgotten to show that they care. They help people in many ways – watching videos, commenting on things and clicking on buttons called “start a petition”. Left-wing activists sometimes go outside their houses and meet other left-wing people and they care together and shout at the Tory scum.

>> No. 79341 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 2:14 pm
79341 spacer
Left-wing people are funny

Left-wing people have “enlightened comedians” who make jokes on “panel games”. These are broadcast on the television and BBC Radio 4.

The enlightened comedians make people laugh at right-wing people, whom they consider stupid. In the olden days, comedians made jokes about Irish people, but these comedians weren’t clever like the enlightened comedians.

Instead of the Irish people, the enlightened comedians make jokes about working-class people.

Because they care, they use special words like “Glaswegians”, “Sun readers” and “UKIP supporters”, so the working-class people will not notice.

Working-class people do funny things like drinking Monster energy drinks, eating Haribos and watching television. This is funny and the enlightened comedians are helpful because they point at them and laugh, so we know who to laugh at as well. It is very funny and we all laugh because we are enlightened too.

>> No. 79342 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 2:14 pm
79342 spacer
If we give a flying fuck we'll use the link, you mouthy twat.
>> No. 79344 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 2:22 pm
79344 spacer
>>79331
Someone seems to have used the word "for" instead of "by".
>> No. 79345 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 2:30 pm
79345 spacer
>Left-wing people have “enlightened comedians” who make jokes on “panel games”.

Stew doesn't even do panel shows.

Also this reads like something penned by someone who's only seen the English language in Twitter format.

And what the actual buggery is an "enlightened comedian"?
>> No. 79347 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 3:28 pm
79347 spacer
>>79345
>Stew doesn't even do panel shows.
He should. I can see him doing well on QI or HIGNFY. With him on it, Mock The Week might actually be funny.
>> No. 79348 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 3:34 pm
79348 spacer
>>79347
I think he doesn't do them because he's not spontaneous enough. Saw him on Buzzcocks once and he was a bit quiet and mediocre. He's more of a scripted comedian.

Paradoxically his stage improvisation is always hilarious, but maybe that's because it doesn't involve any jokes, just complaining.
>> No. 79349 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 3:53 pm
79349 spacer
>>79348
I think you are overstating the level of required spontaneous wit for a panel show.
>> No. 79350 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 4:16 pm
79350 spacer
>>79345
He did 8 out of 10 cats and Never Mind the Buzzcocks to pay for his wedding back before he became a big name again. Said it was an awful experience, doubt he'd do it again now he doesn't need the money.

Anyway, little confused as to why you thought this was worth posting that link without even giving any commentary on it OP. Doubly confused as to why you thought it was also worth postingthe contents of t he article. Oh well.
>> No. 79351 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 4:24 pm
79351 spacer
>>79348
His stage improvisation is mostly done off stage. He might change a word or two in his routine and see how it goes down, but it's all very tightly scripted compared to a panel show.
>> No. 79352 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 4:38 pm
79352 spacer
I think the interview bits in the middle of his latest tv thing are mostly unscripted, just the other writers/comedians asking him questions. Cut up to fuck for impact but then so are panel shows.
>> No. 79353 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 4:53 pm
79353 spacer
>>79352
Probably, but panel shows have an element of one-upmanship and the people he'd be with wouldn't just be his pals.
>> No. 79354 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 7:41 pm
79354 spacer
>>79351
What are you talking about? By improvisation I mean him talking about Robin Hood's tights on the Stand-Up Comedian DVD; the only bloke in the Comedy Vehicle audience who knew about Animal Park leaving to go to the toilet; the video on YouTube of him responding to a heckler in Brighton. These aren't scripted moments. If you think I'm talking about when he drops his microphone and lectures the audience for not getting jokes, I'm not that stupid.
>> No. 79355 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 8:23 pm
79355 spacer
I chuckled and agreed with the first few "paragraphs", but it starts veering into weirdly specific strawman territory after that, as though they author has a chip on his shoulder after he was rejected by a socialist lass or something.

That George Orwell quote rings as true as ever though. The left wing has, largely, been co-opted by terrible, terrible Guardian types who whole heartedly believe that they know what's best for the unwashed hordes; in the same way that an owner knows what's best for their dog when they take Rover for his bollocks lopping off.
>> No. 79356 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 8:36 pm
79356 spacer
>>79354
Sympathising with hecklers is actually very much a rote thing for him.

He actually notes in How I Escaped My Certain Fate that the bit about Robin Hood's tights was only possible because he stole Ted Chippington's ponderous delivery, which gives him time to think rather than responding immediately. Which isn't really possible in something as quick fire as a panel show.
>> No. 79357 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 8:42 pm
79357 spacer
>>79355
>That George Orwell quote rings as true as ever though
You mean not at all? There is nothing socialist about idea that class is reducible to affectations and mannerisms, or that there is something superior about proletarian values. A middle-class socialist acting like they're a born and bred member of the working classes should be met with nothing but derision. The idea that a failure to adopt "proletarian table-manners" indicates fear or hatred is fucking absurd.

The sooner that Little Englander snitch is recognised for the intellectual and literary mediocrity he was, the better.
>> No. 79358 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 8:42 pm
79358 spacer
>>79354

You do realise he already has all those lines written, he just has to wait for the right eventuality to use them, thus giving the impression of quick fire wit? I'm pretty sure in one of his routines he even outright states that fact.
>> No. 79359 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 8:43 pm
79359 spacer
>>79357

Champagne socialist spotted. How's your quinoa this evening lad?
>> No. 79360 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 8:46 pm
79360 spacer
>>79358
The Robin Hood thing was made up on the spot, he notes that that's an unusual thing in his book.

But yeah, the vast majority of his "improvisation" is either scripted or performed within a limited space, like most comedians.
>> No. 79361 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 8:49 pm
79361 spacer
>>79359
Try again. And try harder.
>> No. 79362 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 8:55 pm
79362 spacer
>>79359

Are you not culpable of what the author of the article is suggesting left wingers do by assuming anyone with an opinion other than your own is immediately x, y and z?
>> No. 79363 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 8:57 pm
79363 spacer
>>79356
>Which isn't really possible in something as quick fire as a panel show.
If only someone could edit the pauses and delays out of the programme to make it look like he was much quicker.
>> No. 79364 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 9:00 pm
79364 spacer
>>79363
And edit out the people who are quicker than him. And edit in a laugh track so that it looks like the audience aren't totally thrown by him being on a different beat to all the other panellists.

I don't know why you're getting so invested in defending Stewart Lee's talent at doing something he has admitted he's not suited to and has no interest in pursuing.
>> No. 79365 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 9:02 pm
79365 spacer
>>79357

I'm fairly sure you are misinterpreting the thrust of the quote. It is not that people shouldaffect working class mannerisms or anything like that; just that it exposes how they haven't spent enough time around them to pick up any habits or anything. That's a human trait, the people you spend time with influence you. But I can definitely think of plenty middle class "socialist" types who would still flap around like a fucking Magikarp if you took them to the average boozer on a Friday night. It betrays much of the underpinning of their world view.

To contextualise this, remember that Orwell himself was putting his money where his mouth is- He spent a large portion of his life essentially homeless, drifting between various cities and mixing with an extraordinary range of people. He wasn't talking out of his arse.

You seem to be biased against the guy anyway so I doubt I'll affect your opinion by much. I just happen to think he was a remarkably prescient writer who still bears a huge, if not greater than ever, amount of relevance today, especially if you dig around and read beyond his (I'll concede very bland and dry) "mainstream" fiction works.
>> No. 79366 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 9:09 pm
79366 spacer
>>79365
He outright says that what stops them from doing so is fear and hatred. It's all very in keeping with his life goal of establishing himself as the only authentic socialist in Britain. Perhaps that's how he justified selling out his comrades.

He wasn't "essentially homeless" at any point in his life. He was a poverty tourist, as well as a war tourist. I'm familiar with his work outside of his fiction. And no, it doesn't change my opinion.
>> No. 79367 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 9:25 pm
79367 spacer
>>79366
>Perhaps that's how he justified selling out his comrades.

Sorry Trot lad but some people have a sense of loyalty to their country, not to a fictitious 'revolutionary network.' Fuck commies. Glad Orwell was sensible to switch on to the toxic rot of USSR sympathising.
>> No. 79368 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 9:38 pm
79368 spacer
>>79360
So he doesn't improvise at all, even though he says he does. Gotcha.
>> No. 79370 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 9:41 pm
79370 spacer
>>79367
Don't use words you don't understand.
>> No. 79371 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 9:41 pm
79371 spacer
>>79368
... What?
>> No. 79376 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 10:16 pm
79376 spacer
>>79366

>war tourist

He was shot in the neck while fighting fascists. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that was a better day's work than you've ever done for the socialist cause.
>> No. 79382 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 10:52 pm
79382 spacer
>>79376

I'm more impressed by all the Republicans who avoided being shot, frankly. It's like a footballer bragging about conceding possession, all this well done for being shot business. But I'll let the lad you were querying directly speak for himself.
>> No. 79383 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 10:59 pm
79383 spacer
>>79382

>I'm more impressed by all the Republicans who avoided being shot, frankly

Heh.
>> No. 79386 Anonymous
31st October 2016
Monday 11:07 pm
79386 spacer

encoreplz.jpg
793867938679386
>>79382

>But I'll let the lad you were querying directly speak for himself

Oh no Michael, please don't leave us now!
>> No. 79390 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 12:44 am
79390 spacer
>>79376
I'm not sure what you think his being shot demonstrates. I accused him of being a war tourist, not bulletproof.
>> No. 79391 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 2:07 am
79391 spacer
>Want to let my lack of amusement (I'm actually disappointed because it wasn't funny more than because of the message) take over and let this sort of pish let me say "Fine, have it your way." and vote Tory since I self-identify as lower-Middle class instead of working class and thus at first pass "should be fine"
>Remember that's what most "working class" people identify as nowadays
>Remember that I'm very much in a position to get fucked by the Tories, since I'm not a detached lefty at all (although I mentally detach what I want/need from "What's the right thing for society.") but someone who'd greatly personally benefit from left-wing policies, though my cynicism never realises that since it'd let my hopes be dashed by a Blair figure.
It's not fair. I wish I was rich so that I could join the Conservative party by stealth and use it as a means for fucking over the selfish but not particularly well off, laughing all the while as they vote for their own demise. That's MY aspiration. Tax credit cuts did in some ways give me as much perverse glee as fear. (I thought the welfare cuts would fall on someone else!) Alas, the Tories are cowards.

It is quite funny that some on the left pay lip service to "power to the people" nonsense, though. People (as a collective) are to be led, not followed. If you don't lead them, someone else will. If you have to lie to get them behind you so you'll get the power to do the right thing because they're all stupid arseholes, by god lie to them. (but don't get caught.)
>> No. 79392 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 3:28 am
79392 spacer
>>79391
>It is quite funny that some on the left pay lip service to "power to the people" nonsense, though. People (as a collective) are to be led, not followed. If you don't lead them, someone else will. If you have to lie to get them behind you so you'll get the power to do the right thing because they're all stupid arseholes, by god lie to them. (but don't get caught.)
Gonna go out on a limb and say that if you're posting this to nobody in particular on an image board at 2am, you're a leader of precisely dick all, Il Principe.
>> No. 79393 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 5:16 am
79393 spacer
>>79392
>you're a leader of precisely dick all, Il Principe.
Oh, of course. You don't have to be a leader to know that leadership is what is required. I'd be a terrible leader, don't have the personality for it. Evil advisor, perhaps.

It's largely just a factional snipe at the majority of the Labour party (The naive "power to the people, surely they'll vote for us!" Corbyn types and the "ah fuck it, let's not lead public opinion let's just follow it" Blair-derived types.) to prove that I really honestly am of the left, guv'nor.
>> No. 79394 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 8:08 am
79394 spacer
>>79391
>use it as a means for fucking over the selfish but not particularly well off,

I'm not particularly well off, but I'm not a pauper in need of benefits to top up poor life choices, as my earnings for the year will be c. £32,000 depending on my bonus next month. I can't think of any reason to vote Labour. I'd never vote Tory, but at least under them I'm paying around £1,000 less in tax due to increases in the personal allowance. What do Labour offer me?
>> No. 79395 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 8:19 am
79395 spacer
>>79390

A tourist isn't the sort of person who picks up a rifle and heads to the frontline and beyond, are they? Are you trying to be funny or are you actually that slow?
>> No. 79396 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 10:54 am
79396 spacer
>>79395
Not him, but the conventional tourist who packs suncream and heads to Magaluf wouldn't pick up a rifle, no. Hence the specific term 'war tourist'. You dullard.
>> No. 79397 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 11:57 am
79397 spacer
>>79396

Oh Micky, there's no need to keep making a fool out of yourself on our account. You've done quite enough.

You seem quite unaware what war tourism is, what foreign fighters in Spain did, what Orwell did in particular, and what the post chain you've fumbled into is about.
>> No. 79408 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 5:51 pm
79408 spacer
>>79394

>I'm not particularly well off

Yes you are.

>poor life choices

Never heard that one before.

>offer me?

Are you intentionally trying to prove his point about selfishness?

I don't necessarily have a problem with people of your kind myself, but Christ, you're not exactly helping your case.
>> No. 79410 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 7:02 pm
79410 spacer
>>79394
>c. £32,000
>not particularly well off
Go fuck yourself with a rake.
>> No. 79411 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 8:10 pm
79411 spacer
>>79408>>79410
What? It's not much more than the median average full-time salary (c. £27,500 for 14/15) so it fits on exactly with the statement of being not particularly well off but being far from a pauper. I'll take this as a tacit admission that Labour have fuck all to personally offer the "aspirational lower middle class" who are doing slightly better than average.
>> No. 79412 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 8:16 pm
79412 spacer
>>79411
I don't know what you are on about with Labour or whatever. I just think that you are a lying, self-absorbed twat.
>> No. 79413 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 8:18 pm
79413 spacer
>>79411

An additional five grand a year above the average sounds well off to me.
>> No. 79414 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 8:25 pm
79414 spacer
>>79413
And not so much if you consider he probably works full-time, is male and closer to 30 than 20.
>> No. 79415 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 8:27 pm
79415 spacer
>>79413
Not really, you've got to remember that the average person is rather thick and that many of them live in shitholes like the Midlands. After all, the average starting graduate salary according to the Association of Graduate Recruiters was £28,000 in 2015. It's hardly enough to be a member of the elite.
>> No. 79416 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 8:28 pm
79416 spacer
>>79411


>I'll take this as a tacit admission that Labour have fuck all to personally offer the "aspirational lower middle class" who are doing slightly better than average

Other than attempts to avert the English Channel creeping its way to Oxford and WWIII, not much for you personally, no. (Because, after-all, who gives a shit if those feral children on the estates get a decent education or a hot meal anyway? Those cunts.)

Oh wait, there is of course the whole labour rights thing - having a government which will protect employees from unscrupulous employers... but I'm sure your boss is an A1 bloke and he'll always have your back.
>> No. 79417 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 9:21 pm
79417 spacer
>>79415
This is what the nutter left will never get. Right now I'm taking home about 27k worth of cash and benefits, after tax. For the people on the nutter left, this is an absolute fortune and I'm a dirty Kulak who lives in a palace, when really I live with 3 strangers in a houseshare. They're completely out of touch with normal human beings.
>> No. 79418 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 9:27 pm
79418 spacer
>>79416
>Oh wait, there is of course the whole labour rights thing - having a government which will protect employees from unscrupulous employers

Oh, come off it. Lad.

The same Labour that decided to open the door to Eastern Europe whilst Germany and other nations kept theirs shut? It's not as if a readily available supply of cheap labour was advantageous to employers by diluting union membership and lowering job security so they could get away with eroding working conditions.

The same Labour that introduced tax credits so employers knew they could get away with offering poverty wages and conditions safe in the knowledge that the State would subsidise them?

The same Labour that saw the Tories comprehensively outflank them on the minimum wage and increasing the personal allowance?

If you think Labour are the party of the workers then you need to take off your nostalgia goggles. Their sole claim to this is "we're not the Tories" and, as the SNP have shown in Scotland, this isn't enough anymore and they need to stop taking people's votes for granted.
>> No. 79419 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 9:34 pm
79419 spacer
>>79418
Wow. It's almost as if some of the things you described actually happened. Almost.
>> No. 79420 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 9:36 pm
79420 spacer
>>79417

>Right now I'm taking home about 27k worth of cash and benefits, after tax. For the people on the nutter left, this is an absolute fortune and I'm a dirty Kulak who lives in a palace

That tosh may work down in the pub mate, but you won't fool anyone here. This "nutter left" who rails against the 27kers doesn't exist anywhere outside the minds of quasi-Thatcherites. (In fact, I seem to remember the left - nutter or otherwise - taking issue with the top 1% of earners... there were one or two placards to that effect anyway.)

I'm sorry if this is hard to face, but when the masses begin revolting they won't be gathered outside your flat share demanding bread. They might not even remember you after ransacking Buckingham Palace and Kensington. And that's just something your ego will have to accommodate.
>> No. 79423 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 10:02 pm
79423 spacer
>>79416

This.

Despite all the protestations that they aren't actually well off, these people have nevertheless bought into the idea that the line between "ruffian" and "valued member of society" falls well below their position in the social hierarchy. Completely unaware of their status as useful idiots; turkeys voting for Christmas.

So long as you have a mortgage to pay and a job to show up to for fear of losing your livelihood, you are part of the proletariat, and should show solidarity, even if you think those bloody povvos on the bennies are worse than shit on your shoe. The harsh truth is that when push comes to shove you're largely part of the same strata and the fact you like Radio 4 and Bake Off instead of Stella and Sterlings is of very little consequence.
>> No. 79424 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 10:04 pm
79424 spacer
I don't care about income inequality.
>> No. 79425 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 10:05 pm
79425 spacer
>>79424

Prick.
>> No. 79429 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 10:22 pm
79429 spacer
>>79423
>So long as you have a mortgage to pay and a job to show up to for fear of losing your livelihood, you are part of the proletariat... The harsh truth is that when push comes to shove you're largely part of the same strata and the fact you like Radio 4 and Bake Off instead of Stella and Sterlings is of very little consequence.

Isn't that exactly what they've been saying, that they're not well off? I think you've more-or-less confirmed their point. However, you haven't addressed what Labour specifically offers these people to entice their votes. Nebulous "I'm voting Labour because my dad told me to" solidarity isn't a specific reason, you've got to appeal to aspirations and improving their lot rather than making out like they're scum for not showing "muh solidarity" (ironically, you're acting just like the people described in the OP).
>> No. 79431 Anonymous
1st November 2016
Tuesday 10:30 pm
79431 spacer
Someone change the channel, I think we've already seen this one.

>>77102
>> No. 79444 Anonymous
2nd November 2016
Wednesday 7:38 am
79444 spacer
>>79429
>However, you haven't addressed what Labour specifically offers these people to entice their votes.
"Vote Labour and win a microwave"

They could offer those people something useful, but those people are thick and bought the deficit reduction meme.

For all "appeal to their aspirations" is thrown about, the main thing the Conservatives do is appeal to fear. Oh, you've got a mortgage to pay? It'd be a shame if interest rates went up...
>> No. 79445 Anonymous
2nd November 2016
Wednesday 1:12 pm
79445 spacer
>>79444

> or all "appeal to their aspirations" is thrown about, the main thing the Conservatives do is appeal to fear. Oh, you've got a mortgage to pay? It'd be a shame if interest rates went up...

It is more than that, the average 'true left' (your corbinite rather than your blairite) politician consideres that they aren't doing a good job unless they threatern to fuck up the status quo and piss people off, that is the mark of a true man of the people.

Most people like the status quo, frequently the only thing conservatives need to do is to not pledge to give away bits of british territory to hard suffering foreign imperialists, or scrap the army, and suggest that all white people are secret racists and all men are secretly sexist and should feel guilty about it to convince people that they are a better choice the left. Fear mongering is frequently about just not being as bad as the altenative.

The reason ARE Tony was so sucessful is that the middle ground and moderate tory didn't believe he was going to do something really stupid just to prove a point of how left wing and progressive he was.
>> No. 79446 Anonymous
2nd November 2016
Wednesday 1:13 pm
79446 spacer
>>79429

I don't think you understood much about that post.

Having said that think it should be clear to most people that self described "middle class" sorts are the very worst humanity has to offer.
>> No. 79447 Anonymous
2nd November 2016
Wednesday 3:01 pm
79447 spacer

8203376369_77aa6db752_b.jpg
794477944779447
>>79445
>Most people like the status quo
Ah yes. That's why they voted to leave the EU, and that's why such a song and dance was made about "Better, faster, safer change" in Scotland, because people love the status quo.
>give away bits of british territory to hard suffering foreign imperialists, or scrap the army, and suggest that all white people are secret racists and all men are secretly sexist and should feel guilty about it to convince people that they are a better choice the left
Ed Miliband did none of this and lost. Your hyperbolic examples are meaningless in light of this. (Ah, but he was too left wing. He... err... oohher... Well, he's nicknamed Red Ed, I mean come on!)

The reason Tony Blair was successful was entirely image. Image image image. You aren't wrong to say people believed he wouldn't fuck things up, but people were wrong to believe that. (Hey-ho, who let in all those immigrants again?)

I've once read that Harold Wilson was of the viewpoint that the largest mass of people don't actually pay attention to politics in detail and could be won-over by a good PR campaign with a good leader. If that was genuinely his viewpoint, it's no wonder that he's still the Labour leader who won the most elections. (But he did crazy lefty things, like ending the death penalty and allowing abortion, the virtue signalling bugger.)

On a more general note, It has just occurred to me that perhaps Labour only wins properly when:
a) some jiggery-pokery occurs during a crisis. (1924, 1929, 1974a [which they lost the popular vote but won anyway])
b) they capture a sense of modernity and hope sufficient for natural Tories to let them in (1964, 1966 in part, 1997)
c) they ride the incumbency effect, generally against an unprepared Conservative party. (1951, 1966 in part, 1974b, 2001 and 2005.)

Since a) isn't something you can stage manage and c) relies on winning, that leaves you with b), and I'd say B stands for "Bugger off and read about Harold Wilson until everyone remembers to worship him (He met the Beatles don't you know.)", definitely not "B" for "Blair"

p.s. harold despite everything i just said you're still not forgiven for buying polaris when the manifesto said you'd scrap it.
>> No. 79448 Anonymous
2nd November 2016
Wednesday 3:54 pm
79448 spacer
>>79445

Odd that they scrapped the Forces then. Almost like you are talking out of your ringpiece. Almost.
>> No. 79449 Anonymous
2nd November 2016
Wednesday 5:22 pm
79449 spacer
>>79447
> That's why they voted to leave the EU

Most of the people who I know who voted to leave the EU were in the over 50 camp, who as far as they were concerned were A) just returning to the status quo of their youth, or B) as far as they were concerned didn't do anything but ocaasionally make laws for no good reason to disrupt the status quo.

>>79448

You need to learn the differance between reducing the size of something and getting rid of it entirely, and why people do things.

The tories would spin such an exercise as a begrudging necessary evil for the good of the economy, A corbinite would scrap it entirely because they believed it was our moral duty and if we were attacked because of it we should act as a nation of pacifist martyrs. The underlying motivation is different.
>> No. 79450 Anonymous
2nd November 2016
Wednesday 5:54 pm
79450 spacer
Why does the modern left wing have such a fetishistic desire to atone for the country's historical sins (empire, military might, wealth)?

People would vote for them if it wasn't for all that shit bleeding around the edges of otherwise very sensible and electable ideas.
>> No. 79451 Anonymous
2nd November 2016
Wednesday 5:57 pm
79451 spacer
>>79450
>Very sensible and electable ideas
What left is this?
>> No. 79452 Anonymous
2nd November 2016
Wednesday 6:18 pm
79452 spacer
>>79450
It's a British thing, an obsession with identity politics. In Germany their Green party is relatively successful because they don't subscribe to this nonsense.
>> No. 79453 Anonymous
2nd November 2016
Wednesday 6:25 pm
79453 spacer
>>79452
No, it's an American thing, Guardian type leftism/SJWism is a cultural import.
>> No. 79454 Anonymous
2nd November 2016
Wednesday 6:40 pm
79454 spacer
>>79450
>Why does the modern left wing have such a fetishistic desire to atone for the country's historical sins

It is because modern left is built off a belief that divides everyone into oppressors and the oppressed in different systems and there is no person merits, If you are more successful than another person it purely because of privilege from being an oppressor if you don't think you are, it is because you are arrogant and need to check your privilege.

Hence they feel guilty about their own existence and successes. Being better in any capacity then someone else is not something to be proud of it is something to be ashamed of.
>> No. 79455 Anonymous
2nd November 2016
Wednesday 7:14 pm
79455 spacer
>>79452
The material consequences of our past are still relevant today, and addressing them is neither a recent innovation nor "identity politics" (a term which I've yet to see a coherent definition of). The entire German political spectrum outside of the far right is fanatically apologetic about their past, so I don't really know what you're talking about.

>>79454
So you think the disparity between the kind of life enjoyed by the average, say, laplanderstani compared to the average Briton is attributable to the greater personal merit of the latter?

I don't understand what you're saying at all.
>> No. 79456 Anonymous
2nd November 2016
Wednesday 7:17 pm
79456 spacer
>>79455

Jog on back to SOAS!
>> No. 79458 Anonymous
2nd November 2016
Wednesday 9:34 pm
79458 spacer
>>79454

There's been a lot of drivel on .gs recently but this takes tosh to an entirely new level. I imagine this is what you would get if you were to throw Bertie Wooster to the front of a crowded lecture hall with the instruction "tell us why pinkos are bad."

But you have no Jeeves to save you, so we have to suffer you.
>> No. 79460 Anonymous
3rd November 2016
Thursday 1:50 am
79460 spacer
>>79450
>Why does the modern left wing have such a fetishistic desire to atone for the country's historical sins (empire, military might, wealth)?
It doesn't. You're either imagining things, or narrowing down something so broad as to include everyone from Iraq invading market-fetishising war criminals to Stalin-Defending Communists into a few american-style naive teenagers and Dianne Abbot. Fuck off.

>>79454
>It is because modern left is built off a belief that divides everyone into oppressors and the oppressed
This isn't just a thing of the left, it's something people naturally do.
Consider the Middle East
Evil Oppressor: Gadaffi
Oppressed : Libyan Rebels and Citizens
Solution: Bomb Gadaffi
Result: Fuck shit ignore Libya we didn't intervene what are you talking about.

Evil Oppressor: Assad
Oppressed: "Moderate Rebel groups" and Citizens
Solution: Bomb Syriaaah fucking hell Ed what have you done you've killed all the citizens you bugger
Result: Oh actually that's pretty good if we'd started bombing Assad ISIS would probably own Syria now.


While there are a reasonable group of people who take what should be a useful way of systemising the experiences of various groups and turn it into a black-and-white morality game, it doesn't discredit that it's verifiable fact some people get ahead because of things completely independent of personal merit, or that - shockingly - different people have different experiences and different combinations of unfair advantage and disadvantages in their lives.
>> No. 79461 Anonymous
3rd November 2016
Thursday 3:12 am
79461 spacer
>>79460
>Dianne Abbot
Who?
>> No. 79462 Anonymous
3rd November 2016
Thursday 3:20 am
79462 spacer
>>79461

Don't be obtuse, there're enough actual wazzocks doing the rounds as it is.
>> No. 79463 Anonymous
3rd November 2016
Thursday 6:02 am
79463 spacer

STOP THE BOATS.jpg
794637946379463
>>79461
Y'now, stop the boats guy.
>> No. 79466 Anonymous
3rd November 2016
Thursday 9:00 am
79466 spacer
>>79463

Nah, you're thinking of this bloke:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QEkUINpAsg

Return ] Entire Thread ] Last 50 posts ]
whiteline

Delete Post []
Password