[ rss / options / help ]
post ]
[ b / iq / g / zoo ] [ e / news / lab ] [ v / nom / pol / eco / emo / 101 / shed ]
[ art / A / beat / boo / com / fat / job / lit / map / mph / poof / £$€¥ / spo / uhu / uni / x / y ] [ * | sfw | o ]
logo
literature

Return ] Entire Thread ] Last 50 posts ]

Posting mode: Reply
Reply ]
Subject   (reply to 5996)
Message
File  []
close
Screenshot_2015-06-28-12-38-23.png
599659965996
>> No. 5996 Anonymous
2nd July 2015
Thursday 3:02 pm
5996 BBC
Has anyone else noticed schoolboy mistakes on the BBC website?
Expand all images.
>> No. 5997 Anonymous
2nd July 2015
Thursday 3:03 pm
5997 spacer

Screenshot_2015-06-28-12-50-13.png
599759975997

>> No. 5998 Anonymous
2nd July 2015
Thursday 4:10 pm
5998 spacer
>>5996
It would say bad things about your attention to detail if you hadn't. This goes for more or less every major news organisation one reads regularly.
>> No. 5999 Anonymous
2nd July 2015
Thursday 4:55 pm
5999 spacer
>>5996
All the fucking time. It's the main reason why I don't read the news on the BBC website anymore.
>> No. 6000 Anonymous
2nd July 2015
Thursday 5:38 pm
6000 spacer
>>5996
>>5997
Those are live blog posts as far as I can tell, which are prone to errors for obvious reasons.
>> No. 6001 Anonymous
2nd July 2015
Thursday 6:13 pm
6001 spacer
More importantly, the BBC and other big media increasingly seems to opt for clickbait.
>> No. 6002 Anonymous
3rd July 2015
Friday 1:43 am
6002 spacer
>>6001
The Independent is probably amongst the worst these days
>> No. 6003 Anonymous
3rd July 2015
Friday 11:50 am
6003 spacer

Screenshot_2015-07-03-11-19-47.png
600360036003
He grew up his grandfather's house
>> No. 6004 Anonymous
3rd July 2015
Friday 12:21 pm
6004 spacer
>>6003
Yet people still think weed is harmless.
>> No. 6005 Anonymous
3rd July 2015
Friday 12:33 pm
6005 spacer

Screenshot_2015-07-03-12-32-17.png
600560056005
"to reduce to the minimum the time needed".
>> No. 6006 Anonymous
3rd July 2015
Friday 12:52 pm
6006 spacer
>>6005
Clumsy but correct.
>> No. 6007 Anonymous
5th July 2015
Sunday 11:08 pm
6007 spacer

speling.jpg
600760076007
Oh God it's spreading.
>> No. 6008 Anonymous
5th July 2015
Sunday 11:21 pm
6008 spacer
>>6007

The All-Father takes what is his to take.
>> No. 6009 Anonymous
6th July 2015
Monday 10:05 am
6009 spacer
What really bothers me is that BBC news thinks that the only superlative that exists is "massive".
>> No. 6010 Anonymous
6th July 2015
Monday 11:10 am
6010 spacer
>>6009

Don't worry, John Whittingdale's going to get on at them about giving undue bias in favour of all that which is massive soon.

What? He's the Culture Secretary. Look it up if you don't believe me.
>> No. 6011 Anonymous
6th July 2015
Monday 11:26 am
6011 spacer
>>6009
That annoys me massively.
>> No. 6012 Anonymous
6th July 2015
Monday 11:28 am
6012 spacer
>>6010
It's true. I saw him on the telly on Sunday handing over a trophy of some kind.
>> No. 6013 Anonymous
10th July 2015
Friday 3:51 pm
6013 spacer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-33480569

"Police apologise for three-day delay in M9 fatal crash", everyone knows it's M7!
>> No. 6014 Anonymous
10th July 2015
Friday 4:16 pm
6014 spacer
It is what happens when you sack the sub-eds: journocunts are not renowned for their use of language, that is the editor's job. Feel free to substitute "journocunt" for "author" as well, should you wish.
>> No. 6015 Anonymous
11th July 2015
Saturday 1:16 pm
6015 spacer

Screenshot_2015-07-11-13-00-40.png
601560156015
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3KmYMxxyRTVQsF4KtVVW9Tg/why-all-artists-should-have-naked-ambition
>> No. 6020 Anonymous
18th July 2015
Saturday 11:09 am
6020 spacer

Screenshot_2015-07-18-11-02-22.png
602060206020
Now they're ripping off content from tabloids.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33578174
>> No. 6021 Anonymous
18th July 2015
Saturday 11:16 am
6021 spacer
>>6020
Sorry, what do you mean "now"? They've always done that.
>> No. 6081 Anonymous
28th July 2015
Tuesday 12:24 pm
6081 spacer

Screenshot_2015-07-27-12-42-03.png
608160816081
Not capitalising Internet.
>> No. 6083 Anonymous
28th July 2015
Tuesday 12:31 pm
6083 spacer
>>6081
Yeah, the rest of the world resolved that issue a decade ago, mate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3613594.stm
>> No. 6092 Anonymous
29th July 2015
Wednesday 4:02 pm
6092 spacer
>>6083
So is it "emailed" or "e-mailed"?
>> No. 6093 Anonymous
29th July 2015
Wednesday 4:13 pm
6093 spacer

Screenshot_2015-07-29-14-42-36.png
609360936093
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33687718/how-to-remove-embarrassing-facebook-and-twitter-posts

Should be parents not parent.
>> No. 6119 Anonymous
27th August 2015
Thursday 1:06 pm
6119 spacer

Screenshot_2015-08-27-12-52-00.png
611961196119
Missing quotation mark.
>> No. 6120 Anonymous
27th August 2015
Thursday 1:08 pm
6120 spacer
>>6119

I'm going to admit my own ignorance here because I see that all the time in print journalism and assumed it was an accepted style of open-form quotation.
>> No. 6121 Anonymous
27th August 2015
Thursday 1:10 pm
6121 spacer
>>6119
No. Look again at the following paragraph.
>> No. 6122 Anonymous
27th August 2015
Thursday 2:24 pm
6122 spacer
You should probably find something better to do with your life than misidentify errors in BBC news articles.
>> No. 6123 Anonymous
27th August 2015
Thursday 2:24 pm
6123 spacer
>>6120
It is.
>> No. 6125 Anonymous
27th August 2015
Thursday 2:26 pm
6125 spacer
>>6119
Has anyone else noticed schoolboy mistakes on the gs website?
>> No. 6128 Anonymous
27th August 2015
Thursday 2:30 pm
6128 spacer
>>6125

Has anyone else noticed you being a fucking queer?
>> No. 6130 Anonymous
27th August 2015
Thursday 2:33 pm
6130 spacer
>>6128
On the occasions I'm being fucking queer, yeah.
>> No. 6131 Anonymous
27th August 2015
Thursday 3:13 pm
6131 spacer
>>6128

IQ adventurer.
>> No. 6133 Anonymous
27th August 2015
Thursday 5:42 pm
6133 spacer
>>6131

Is that available to pre-order yet?
>> No. 6134 Anonymous
28th August 2015
Friday 1:41 pm
6134 spacer

Screenshot_2015-08-28-13-35-47.png
613461346134
In June some 600,000 payments failed to reach enter the accounts of RBS customers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34084767
>> No. 6136 Anonymous
3rd September 2015
Thursday 4:00 pm
6136 spacer

Screenshot_2015-09-03-15-49-10.png
613661366136
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/34141910
An FIA statement summarised
>> No. 6137 Anonymous
3rd September 2015
Thursday 4:54 pm
6137 spacer
>>6136
50/50 ball. Strictly should be "A" but will be pronounced "An" in speech.
>> No. 6138 Anonymous
3rd September 2015
Thursday 9:33 pm
6138 spacer
>>6136

Well 'an' is not just for vowels, but for vowel sounds.

'F' can be argued to have a phonetic vowel sound in it: 'an FBI investigation..' etc. The same way that Americans will say 'an herb' because their pronunciation of 'h' can sometimes carry a vowel sound.
>> No. 6139 Anonymous
3rd September 2015
Thursday 11:40 pm
6139 spacer
>>6138
>Well 'an' is not just for vowels, but for vowel sounds.
"Federal" does not begin with a vowel sound.
>> No. 6140 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 7:48 am
6140 spacer
>>6139
But you don't say "Federal", you say "eff".
>> No. 6141 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 8:37 am
6141 spacer
>>6140
In speech, but not in writing. In writing, unless it's an acronym, the abbreviation replaces what it stands for.
>> No. 6142 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 1:00 pm
6142 spacer
>>6141

FBI is an acronym.
>> No. 6143 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 1:22 pm
6143 spacer
>>6142
No it's not.
>> No. 6144 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 1:28 pm
6144 spacer

Picturejoovc7-8[1].jpg
614461446144
>>6143
Yes it is.
>> No. 6145 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 1:36 pm
6145 spacer
>>6144
I stand corrected. In which case it should be "a FBI" since the pronunciation "fibby" starts with a consonant sound.
>> No. 6146 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 3:02 pm
6146 spacer
>>6145

Look m8 I've watched all nine series of the x-files in the last couple of months and they all say "eff bee eye" all the time.
>> No. 6147 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 3:44 pm
6147 spacer
>>6146

I've gotten stalled on series 5. Those monster of the week episodes scare me. Not because they're frightening, just because it feels like a lucky dip of quality.
>> No. 6148 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 3:49 pm
6148 spacer
>>6146
So then it ain't an acronym after all. Fuck's sake, make up your minds, lads.
>> No. 6149 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 3:49 pm
6149 spacer
>>6147

I don't know what series it is in, but there was a guy who could talk on peoples illnesses, ailments and diseases. I first watched it when I was 15 and I remember thinking If I had it I could save my Grandad, who raised me, from cancer and because I was younger I'd have a better chance of fighting it off. When I told him this, it was the first time I ever seen the man cry.
>> No. 6150 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 3:53 pm
6150 spacer
>>6148

Federal Bureau of Investigation.

F.B.I (eff bee eye), you daft cunt.
>> No. 6151 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 4:37 pm
6151 spacer
>>6150
I'm getting confused here. I've said it isn't an acronym, and you seem to be agreeing that it isn't an acronym, having just posted the evidence that it isn't an acronym.
>> No. 6152 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 4:43 pm
6152 spacer
>>6151

I'm not sure you know what an acronym is, lad.

"An acronym is an abbreviation, used as a word, which is formed from the initial components in a phrase or a word. Usually these components are individual letters (as in NATO..."

or you know.... FBI.

Acronyms don't have to be pronounced as they're written as the acronym SPQR only proves.
>> No. 6153 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 4:50 pm
6153 spacer
>>6151>>6152

Unless you're going to go full pedant and pull us into the Initialism vs Acronym debate, at which point everything becomes futile anyway because FBI as an initialism would still be pronounced "eff bee eye" and would therefore be used in the construction "an FBI investigation".

QED
>> No. 6154 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 4:52 pm
6154 spacer
>>6152
>used as a word
>FBI
Have a word with yourself, lad.
>> No. 6155 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 5:05 pm
6155 spacer
>>6154

> used as a word
> Have a word

I do hope that was an attempt at a joke. If not I invite you to go back retest your logic, this time using the acronyms SCSI, CPU, GUI, and SQL. Let me know which ones you think are words because there are valid pronunciations of them, and which ones you remain convinced are not words. Then try and work which, if any, are acronyms. Boy, this is fun.

Or, you know, just see >>6153

> everything becomes futile anyway because FBI as an initialism would still be pronounced "eff bee eye" and would therefore be used in the construction "an FBI investigation"

Is it 5pm yet? I need a drink.
>> No. 6156 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 5:09 pm
6156 spacer
>>6153
>FBI as an initialism would still be pronounced "eff bee eye" and would therefore be used in the construction "an FBI investigation".
No. As it is not an acronym, in writing you would use the article that goes with what it stands for, because that's what "stands for" means.
>> No. 6158 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 5:22 pm
6158 spacer
>>6156
>the acronyms SCSI, CPU, GUI, and SQL
Yes, no, yes, and depending on the speaker, in that order. Acronyms are abbreviations used as words, which means they have their own pronunciations. If an abbreviation is used as is a word then it's an acronym and treated a word. If it's not used as a word then it's not an acronym and instead treated as if the words it abbreviates were there instead. Most acronyms are initialisms. Some initialisms are acronyms.
>> No. 6159 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 5:34 pm
6159 spacer
>>6155

Behead those who pronounce GUI as "goo-ey".
>> No. 6160 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 6:02 pm
6160 spacer
>>6156
>>6158

> Yes, no, yes, and depending on the speaker, in that order.

To say a construction can be an acronym or an initialism according to the whims of the speaker is some serious quantum-linguistical nonsense.

I can imagine the scene now: "Much like observing a photon, we won't know if Donald and Raymond's new database language known as 'SQL' will be an acronym or an initialism until one of them pronounce it for the first time, thus revealing the true nature of the word".

> Acronyms [to] have their own pronunciations

So you would say that the statement "SPQR is an acronym" is false?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursive_acronym lists quite a few "recursive acronyms" that have no valid pronunciation that I could think of.
>> No. 6161 Anonymous
4th September 2015
Friday 6:07 pm
6161 spacer
>>6160
>To say a construction can be an acronym or an initialism according to the whims of the speaker is some serious quantum-linguistical nonsense.
Welcome to the English language. If you think that's odd, wait until you see people use adjectives as nouns and nouns as verbs.
>> No. 6163 Anonymous
6th September 2015
Sunday 12:00 pm
6163 spacer

Screenshot_2015-09-06-11-43-58.png
616361636163
The IchorCoal clipper set off to on the 6,000 mile journey to Brazil on 30 August

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-34162728
>> No. 6164 Anonymous
14th September 2015
Monday 2:28 pm
6164 spacer

Screenshot_2015-09-14-14-18-28.png
616461646164
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2cW0Px8xhSXqzDbr5jMdHRB/i-was-there-worst-gadget-in-history-launch-1985

Merged the title from another article.
>> No. 6165 Anonymous
14th September 2015
Monday 6:33 pm
6165 spacer

phillip's.jpg
616561656165
This one's pretty bad.
>> No. 6166 Anonymous
14th September 2015
Monday 6:43 pm
6166 spacer
I've been noticing a lot of mistakes in the i newspaper lately. Surely they check these things before printing.
>> No. 6168 Anonymous
20th September 2015
Sunday 3:29 pm
6168 spacer

Screenshot_2015-09-20-15-21-39.png
616861686168
Not a mistake, but thought this quote of an official calling someone autistic was worth mentioning.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34307745

Romanian Foreign Minister Bogdan Aurescu called Hungary's actions "autistic and unacceptable".
>> No. 6169 Anonymous
21st September 2015
Monday 2:17 pm
6169 spacer
Their feature on housing benefit refers to the issue of why rents have risen as "the $6 million question".
>> No. 6170 Anonymous
21st September 2015
Monday 2:44 pm
6170 spacer
>>6168

That will only be an issue to those people who get offended at stuff on behalf of others, basically guardian readers.
>> No. 6171 Anonymous
21st September 2015
Monday 4:09 pm
6171 spacer
>>6170
Also autistic people, who will be confused at the use of "autistic" to describe something other than actual autism.
>> No. 6172 Anonymous
27th September 2015
Sunday 4:56 pm
6172 spacer

Screenshot_2015-09-27-16-39-26.png
617261726172
"could be limited driving into the city centre."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34257424
>> No. 6179 Anonymous
10th October 2015
Saturday 11:48 am
6179 spacer

Screenshot_2015-10-10-11-47-35.png
617961796179
The court heard they no shoes, inadequate clothing and were unsupervised.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-34491753
>> No. 6180 Anonymous
14th October 2015
Wednesday 7:32 pm
6180 spacer

Screenshot from 2015-10-14 19:31:47.png
618061806180
Useful...
>> No. 6193 Anonymous
21st October 2015
Wednesday 12:09 pm
6193 spacer

Screenshot_2015-10-21-11-44-28.png
619361936193
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34559870/vin-diesel-online-abuse-is-the-dark-side-of-fame

They forgot to close the quotation marks.
>> No. 6194 Anonymous
21st October 2015
Wednesday 12:13 pm
6194 spacer
>>6193
We're not falling for that again.
>> No. 6195 Anonymous
21st October 2015
Wednesday 3:04 pm
6195 spacer
Sometimes I imagine a gs minigame where we try to spot grammar errors. There could be peer review and a leaderboard and everything.

This thread illustrates why it's the worst idea ever.
>> No. 6196 Anonymous
21st October 2015
Wednesday 4:39 pm
6196 spacer
>>6193

Ross Kemp has let himself go.
>> No. 6197 Anonymous
25th October 2015
Sunday 2:31 pm
6197 spacer

Screenshot_2015-10-25-14-21-06.png
619761976197
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24022774

"fleet-of-foot police officer"
Should be plural.
>> No. 6198 Anonymous
25th October 2015
Sunday 2:40 pm
6198 spacer
>>6197
We're not falling for that one either.
>> No. 6217 Anonymous
11th November 2015
Wednesday 5:05 pm
6217 spacer

Screenshot_2015-11-11-16-44-17.png
621762176217
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34758441

Its claims to have downed the Airbus were initially treated with scepticism.

Should be an apostrophe for it's.

(A good day to you Sir!)
>> No. 6218 Anonymous
11th November 2015
Wednesday 6:13 pm
6218 spacer
>>6217
I hope that was a lifetime ban.
>> No. 6219 Anonymous
19th November 2015
Thursday 1:48 pm
6219 spacer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29529578

Hah.

Return ] Entire Thread ] Last 50 posts ]
whiteline

Delete Post []
Password