[ rss / options / help ]
post ]
[ b / iq / g / zoo ] [ e / news / lab ] [ v / nom / pol / eco / emo / 101 / shed ]
[ art / A / beat / boo / com / fat / job / lit / map / mph / poof / £$€¥ / spo / uhu / uni / x / y ] [ * | sfw | o ]
logo
food

Return ]

Posting mode: Reply
Reply ]
Subject   (reply to 13366)
Message
File  []
Embed  
close
34a7d0ca56e5a2aa67d6b048a6bf00fb.jpg
133661336613366
>> No. 13366 Anonymous
30th May 2020
Saturday 3:04 pm
13366 spacer
Overall, what's your favourite fruit? I have a couple of oranges in the evening with a nice cup of redbush which I find pairs nicely. The sugar content is a little high but they seem durable and hassle free.

Just fishing for some ideas for variation.
Expand all images.
>> No. 13367 Anonymous
30th May 2020
Saturday 3:11 pm
13367 spacer
I'm a fan of stone fruit, particularly peaches, nectarines and especially plums.

I have been having issues with them this summer, though - bitter peaches and plums that refuse to soften. Perhaps a corona related harvest or transport issue, or it was just too cold a winter.
>> No. 13368 Anonymous
30th May 2020
Saturday 3:42 pm
13368 spacer
Most weekdays I'll eat grapes (red), an apple (granny smith) and a couple of clementines. I'll occasionally have a melon (galia, honeydew or cantaloupe). When it's bramble season I'll usually pick a fair bit and make it into jam. My favourite fruit is strawberry but I don't have it that often, although I've had two punnets since yesterday.
>> No. 13369 Anonymous
30th May 2020
Saturday 4:43 pm
13369 spacer

The man from Del Lonte.jpg
133691336913369

>> No. 13370 Anonymous
30th May 2020
Saturday 4:45 pm
13370 spacer
Watermelon.
>> No. 13371 Anonymous
30th May 2020
Saturday 5:35 pm
13371 spacer
>>13367
I tend to be sceptical of stone fruits because of low nutrient content. They're like cucumbers or lettuce.

Although mango is bloody delicious.
>> No. 13372 Anonymous
30th May 2020
Saturday 6:09 pm
13372 spacer
M and S clementines from Morocco are delicious, pink lady apples and some nice strawberries.
>> No. 13404 Anonymous
7th June 2020
Sunday 9:51 pm
13404 spacer
On balance, are dates actually good for you? That may sound like a strange question but my google search tells me that big date is a powerful group.

I bought some from the local cornershop today because I couldn't be arsed queuing for tesco. I know they have good fibre content and general nutrition but, you look at an orange and think "well it has lots of sugar but it is nutritious" but that's only 9/100g. Dates are 63! That's an absurd amount of sugar for something the internet tells me is healthy.
>> No. 13405 Anonymous
8th June 2020
Monday 8:11 am
13405 spacer
Oranges, because their fresh juice is too good. But Lemons, because when you think about it they're just fucking badass.
>> No. 13406 Anonymous
8th June 2020
Monday 8:53 am
13406 spacer
Golden delicious apples.
>> No. 13407 Anonymous
8th June 2020
Monday 10:34 am
13407 spacer
>>13406
Get out.
>> No. 13409 Anonymous
8th June 2020
Monday 11:27 am
13409 spacer
>>13404

Dates aren't that good for you in my opinion. As you say, the way they're prepared can be extremely high in sugar (almost like a glazing?) and I sometimes think people misunderstand how fibre works -- often the last thing you want to do when you have indigestion is slam a bunch of indigestible fibres on top. Little and often keeps things moving, yes, but lots of fibre can be just as bad as no fibre.
>> No. 13410 Anonymous
8th June 2020
Monday 1:38 pm
13410 spacer
>>13409 >>13404

Dates are just dried fruit. Compare them to raisins, or other dried fruits.
I don't know what dates you've been buying either because they're certainly not syrupy for me. Perhaps a little oily if they've been industrially dried, like raisins.
>> No. 13411 Anonymous
8th June 2020
Monday 3:35 pm
13411 spacer
>>13410
Dried fruit isn't something you should be eating all the time either. Compare the 16% sugar of grapes to 59% in raisins. It's just inferior to fresh produce and ends up almost as bad as eating sweets.

>I don't know what dates you've been buying either because they're certainly not syrupy for me

Mate, they're 80% sugar. 2% more and your eating honey. In fact, it's thought the 'land of milk and honey' in the bible is actually referring to dates.
>> No. 13412 Anonymous
9th June 2020
Tuesday 12:08 am
13412 spacer
I had a punnet of strawberries today and they were delicious.
>> No. 13413 Anonymous
9th June 2020
Tuesday 8:28 am
13413 spacer
I'm getting a steady trickle of strawberries from the garden, and they're great. (Winning the battle against the sluggy menace and the bastard birds).
However, what I'm really looking forward to, is the massive glut of peaches coming. Hope they don't all fall off, like they sometimes do. When they're good, they're brilliant. Utterly unlike UK shop peaches.
However - OP. Apples. I fucking love apples. Eaters, cookers, dried, crumble, pie, stewed, baked, cider. If there was only one fruit, it'd need to be apples.
>> No. 13414 Anonymous
9th June 2020
Tuesday 1:25 pm
13414 spacer
OP's picture is confusing me because rhubarb isn't a fruit.

My favourite fruit in general has to be the navel orange. There's nothing more fundamentally refreshing, nothing more that tastes like pure sunshine, that a navel orange cut into quarters, then eaten off the skin.

>>13413

It doesn't take long for strawberries to take over if left unchecked, which is only a good thing if you know a lot of people who'll take some off your hands and throw you a jar or two of jam back.
>> No. 13415 Anonymous
9th June 2020
Tuesday 6:37 pm
13415 spacer
>>13414
>OP's picture is confusing me because rhubarb isn't a fruit.

Shockingly it also doesn't mention tomatoes.
Maybe by "fruit" it means "crops we eat primarily as a pudding".
>> No. 13416 Anonymous
9th June 2020
Tuesday 6:40 pm
13416 spacer
>>13415

There's culinary fruit and vegetables, then there's botanical fruit and vegetables. It's safe to assume most people are going to be talking about the former in the context of eating them.
>> No. 13417 Anonymous
9th June 2020
Tuesday 7:23 pm
13417 spacer
>>13415

Also, how the fuck are bananas and pineapples seasonal in the UK?
>> No. 13418 Anonymous
9th June 2020
Tuesday 7:33 pm
13418 spacer
>>13417
Aren't all bananas we eat based on the British banana despite there being dozens of other varieties?
>> No. 13419 Anonymous
9th June 2020
Tuesday 7:36 pm
13419 spacer
>>13417

The best justification I can come up with is they mean 'readily available in the UK', But I feel like an apologist for even saying it.
>> No. 13495 Anonymous
6th July 2020
Monday 1:18 pm
13495 spacer
What's with all the peaches this year? Not complaining, just curious.
>> No. 13496 Anonymous
6th July 2020
Monday 1:41 pm
13496 spacer
>>13495
I've noticed that supermarkets have an abundance of melons recently. Lots on offer for a quid. Assuming it's coronavirus related.
>> No. 13497 Anonymous
6th July 2020
Monday 5:46 pm
13497 spacer
>>13495

I am complaining about the peaches. They're all fucking terrible and seem to rot without ever ripening.
>> No. 13498 Anonymous
11th July 2020
Saturday 10:35 pm
13498 spacer
I ordered some oranges from Tesco, and the ones they supplied were roughly the same size as satsumas. At least the bunch of bananas they delivered were nicely green and not immediate banana bread fodder.
>> No. 13499 Anonymous
11th July 2020
Saturday 10:56 pm
13499 spacer
>>13498
>Nicely green bananas
Probably the only acceptable 'ripen at home' fruit.
>> No. 13500 Anonymous
11th July 2020
Saturday 11:37 pm
13500 spacer
>>13495

>> No. 13514 Anonymous
17th July 2020
Friday 6:33 pm
13514 spacer

peaches.jpg
135141351413514
>>13497 Look at these magnificent bastards. Probably got 100 or so on our one little tree (in the greenhouse). We've never had so many, and the ones I've already eaten have been fantastic.
It was a crappy year for nectarines and apricots, though.
>> No. 13515 Anonymous
17th July 2020
Friday 6:48 pm
13515 spacer
>>13514
Those look really good! Is it a tree grafted on to a root stock of some kind?
>> No. 13516 Anonymous
17th July 2020
Friday 6:56 pm
13516 spacer
>>13515 Probably - we inherited it.
The nectarine tree next to it is definitely grafted - the rootstock grew hard this year, and the Mrs wouldn't let me hack it back, as she was convinced it was so healthy it would have to grow fruit. Nope. Total of 4, from the non-rootstock section. It's coming off this winter whether she likes it or not.
I'm still fretting that I've left more grapes on the vine than it's got leaves to ripen - it's always a gamble. If they all come good, it's going to be insane. Apples also look very promising this year, although there's a lot of blemishes.
>> No. 13517 Anonymous
17th July 2020
Friday 6:59 pm
13517 spacer
>>13516
The whole science/art of grafting trees onto existing rootstocks does my fucking head in. It's quite amazing really. I wish I had the kind of place where I could plant a bunch of them.

What sort of grapes are they? Edible or for juicing?

The obvious answer with the apples, blemishes and all, is to press them and try not to drink it for a while..
>> No. 13518 Anonymous
17th July 2020
Friday 7:30 pm
13518 spacer

index.jpg
135181351813518
>>13514
Lovely. My freezer was full so I started a mixed berry ferment today. Ended up with quite a lot more than I expected and had to draft in a second bucket.
>> No. 13519 Anonymous
17th July 2020
Friday 8:09 pm
13519 spacer
>>13518
What's in the other bucket on the right?
>> No. 13520 Anonymous
17th July 2020
Friday 8:56 pm
13520 spacer
>>13519
Cabbage brew, what of it?
>> No. 13521 Anonymous
17th July 2020
Friday 9:27 pm
13521 spacer
>>13520 Aimed at pickling or drinking?
>> No. 13522 Anonymous
17th July 2020
Friday 9:35 pm
13522 spacer
>>13517 Grapes are edible if they get big enough. Got pips, though - remember grapes with pips? I think we got about 150kg last year, although the wasps also had a good go, the stripey bastards.
Apples, yes, bought a crusher and press last year. Will buy a much bigger crusher and press this year. Drank it as juice last year, but want to start fermenting, but need to find some space.
>> No. 13523 Anonymous
17th July 2020
Friday 9:45 pm
13523 spacer
>>13519
Is that for sauerkraut or kimchi or similar? I've just never seen it before.
>> No. 13524 Anonymous
18th July 2020
Saturday 9:36 am
13524 spacer

gimchi.jpg
135241352413524
>>13523
>>13519
It's Sauerkraut; I'm doing kimchi too but a much smaller batch.
>> No. 13525 Anonymous
18th July 2020
Saturday 10:57 am
13525 spacer
>>13524
And an expert on pickling eggs by the look of it?

Can I come to your house for tea?
>> No. 13526 Anonymous
18th July 2020
Saturday 11:06 am
13526 spacer
>>13524

There's something about a man or woman who is into fermenting and pickling that just commands instant respect.
>> No. 13527 Anonymous
18th July 2020
Saturday 11:53 am
13527 spacer

pickles.jpg
135271352713527
>>13525

Pickling various things. It's a simple enough hobby to pick up. You'd be welcome to eat them.
>> No. 13528 Anonymous
18th July 2020
Saturday 12:06 pm
13528 spacer
>>13527
I almost got into making jam last year and started to acquire the bits and pieces required - quite similar to pickling I guess.

I like the look of your pickled garlic very much; I'm one of those who usually double the amount in any recipe. How do you make it? I notice you've got both cloves and then bulbs in one jar. Please, tell me everything.
>> No. 13529 Anonymous
18th July 2020
Saturday 12:25 pm
13529 spacer

black-garlic.jpg
135291352913529
>>13528

The cloves are just pickled in vinegar with peppercorns the usual way. You sterilise the jar thoroughly then boil the thing you want to pickle in vinegar, let it cool then put the two together. It was just white vinegar, the garlic turned it yellow.
The bulbs aren't pickled but "black" garlic which is normal garlic given an enzymatic reaction turning the cloves black, paste-like and gives them a sort of balsamic flavour. I meant to add them to some soy or hot sauce ferments later in the year but they're tasty and I keep eating them.
>> No. 13530 Anonymous
18th July 2020
Saturday 1:59 pm
13530 spacer
>>13529

How are you making your black garlic?
>> No. 13531 Anonymous
18th July 2020
Saturday 6:40 pm
13531 spacer
>>13530

Wrap it in clingfilm, wrap that in foil, bung it in a dehydrator on low for six weeks. Doing it in big batches is the only thing that makes sense else you're running a mostly empty machine. I don't know if I'd do it again.
>> No. 13575 Anonymous
1st August 2020
Saturday 5:34 pm
13575 spacer
Does fruit sugar count as carbhydrates, and will eating it interfere with this ketogenesis thing i keep hearing about?
>> No. 13577 Anonymous
1st August 2020
Saturday 6:06 pm
13577 spacer
>>13575
Yes.
Yes and no.

The sugar is fruit is bad but there's not a lot of it and the fibre in natural fruit slows digestion down, so a small amount of fruit does raise your blood sugar but less than a glass of orange juice for instance.

Return ]
whiteline

Delete Post []
Password