[ rss / options / help ]
post ]
[ b / iq / g / zoo ] [ e / news / lab ] [ v / nom / pol / eco / emo / 101 / shed ]
[ art / A / beat / boo / com / fat / job / lit / map / mph / poof / £$€¥ / spo / uhu / uni / x / y ] [ * | sfw | o ]
logo
film/video

Return ] Entire Thread ] First 100 posts ] Last 50 posts ]

Posting mode: Reply [Last 50 posts]
Reply ]
Subject   (reply to 16455)
Message
File  []
close
Gregor.png
164551645516455
>> No. 16455 Anonymous
14th April 2014
Monday 11:11 am
16455 Game of Thrones
Are you all just going to pretend this isn't happening?

I assume everyone's already illegally downloaded last nights episode? If so you'll definitely understand my next question...

WHO DONE THE DOINGS WHAT DID GET DONE!?

I'm reckoning Cersei at a daring 50/1.
555 posts omitted. Last 50 posts shown. Expand all images.
>> No. 22695 Anonymous
2nd May 2019
Thursday 5:52 pm
22695 spacer

1556638018025.png
226952269522695

>> No. 22697 Anonymous
2nd May 2019
Thursday 9:11 pm
22697 spacer
>>22681

That's all very well, but this isn't the book, it's the telly show. You might as well be talking about Harry Potter.

I've got a mate at work who always tries to defend the bad writing on the TV show by going "Yeah but if you'd read the books you'd have known that it was Eddard's second cousin Bakewell who gave the Sword of Thoth to the blessed dancer in the treetop and that's why he knew it had to be him, because he was one of the first men. It's all about how it connects together innit."

I don't care about the fucking books. I watch the show. Just because something was deeper in the books doesn't stop it being bland and poorly explained in the show.
>> No. 22698 Anonymous
2nd May 2019
Thursday 11:06 pm
22698 spacer
>>22697
Most right-thinking people know to avoid purchasing the carpet-bagger fantasies of GRRM.

Even if that's the kind of thing you like, the guy's gonna die before completing the last book anyway.
>> No. 22699 Anonymous
2nd May 2019
Thursday 11:23 pm
22699 spacer
>>22697
It's an adaptation, it should follow the same internal logic as to motivations of pivotal characters and basic things like lore and one of those pieces of lore is that White Walkers can be killed by dragon fire.

I don't mind too much that Arya kills him, Jon doing it himself in a heroic last stand would be a trope too far, but it was poorly executed.
>> No. 22700 Anonymous
2nd May 2019
Thursday 11:41 pm
22700 spacer
>>22697
I love the books, but let's be frank: GRRM has never been known for fast writing or finishing works. He's like the polar opposite of Brandon Sanderson. The first book came out near enough to 23 years ago, the TV series is a measly 8 years old and ran out of book quite a while ago. Meanwhile GRRM is doing what Rowling should be doing, being happy as a pig in shit that they got rich with not much of a desire to remain in the lime light.
>> No. 22701 Anonymous
3rd May 2019
Friday 1:57 am
22701 spacer
Can I just slightly divert this threat for a minute to say that epic fantasy is one of the most bollocks genres in all of literature? Every single series and author is the same, it's just "ooh but this time the magic works with runes!" or "oh, no, this is totally different, in this setting magic is an ancient singing tradition" or some other dogshit.

I know a few people who bang on about shite like Raymond E Feist like it's the best thing since War and Peace, when it's pretty much just Eastenders with fucking elves. OH BUT THE CHARACTERS ARE SO GRIPPING fuck off.

(sage for /101/)
>> No. 22702 Anonymous
3rd May 2019
Friday 8:31 am
22702 spacer
>>22701
I feel similarly about the cyberpunk aesthetic, but it's not really about the visual themes or more stereotyped aspects of the world, and more about how they're often used without consideration for their meaning in the story. I don't know, you sound like kind of a contrary bastard, maybe we don't feel the same.
>> No. 22703 Anonymous
3rd May 2019
Friday 9:46 am
22703 spacer
>>22702

Not Mr. Contrary but I agree with you somewhat, but I do find that Sci-fi settings in general tend to feel more varied and are often justified by the author, i.e they'll explain why and how their particular magic spaceship wormhole lightspeed bollocks works, whereas in fantasy you typically just get "there has been dragons forever and if we ever knew why it's been lost to time". Cyberpunk is different but there's not that much of that out there is there?
>> No. 22704 Anonymous
3rd May 2019
Friday 10:51 am
22704 spacer
>>22701
Game of Thrones isn't supposed to be high fantasy, which is what I think you probably meant there. D&D are just not very good at the political intrigue side of the story and are using magic and high fantasy tropes as a crutch.
>> No. 22705 Anonymous
3rd May 2019
Friday 10:53 am
22705 spacer
>>22703
I'd say that's because it doesn't really matter if the dragons fell out of the moon or were created in the image of an ancient god, what matters is their role in the story and the meaning of their presence. That's why I brought up cyberpunk, because it's more of a look than anything, which is often how fantasy settings are used. They aren't trying to tell a story pertinent to those settings, people just want wood-elves and hackers with neon streaks in their hair to do cool stuff. This is where I'd probably give GoT a pass because it does engage with the realities of a pseudo-medieval setting. Equally, Deus Ex uses a cyberpunk setting to highlight real world issues and pontificate on their potential for long term harm, but also there are laser swords.
>> No. 22706 Anonymous
3rd May 2019
Friday 12:33 pm
22706 spacer
>>22704

I literally said epic fantasy. I never mentioned high fantasy. I wasn't even talking about Game of Thrones.
>> No. 22707 Anonymous
3rd May 2019
Friday 1:15 pm
22707 spacer
>>22706
You said epic fantasy which isn't actually a genre, per se, and is a ubiquitous term to describe high fantasy fiction and then described high fantasy tropes as being shit.

As mentioned current GoT is full of them, you're posting in a GoT thread... it's not exactly a leap to assume you were talking about the series. I'd go as far as to impune your motives for making that statement if you weren't talking about GoT, simply so you could start a cunt off about genre fiction. If you want to decry fantasy fiction, there are a lot of like minded troglodytes over on funchan's /lit/ who will pat you on the back for your alacrity.
>> No. 22709 Anonymous
3rd May 2019
Friday 2:02 pm
22709 spacer
Hobbits are bummers.
>> No. 22710 Anonymous
5th May 2019
Sunday 10:55 am
22710 spacer
>>22707

I just meant specifically that type of character arc focused big wedge airport novel fantasy, really, and I did apologise for derailing the thread in advance, but no bother lad. I just felt like a bit of a rant.
>> No. 22711 Anonymous
6th May 2019
Monday 11:31 am
22711 spacer

1551529812630.jpg
227112271122711
>>22705
>Deus Ex uses a cyberpunk setting to highlight real world issues
You mean how Jewish banking families control the world?
>> No. 22713 Anonymous
6th May 2019
Monday 2:53 pm
22713 spacer
>>22711
That's entirely true though.
>> No. 22714 Anonymous
6th May 2019
Monday 3:50 pm
22714 spacer
>>22713
Hi Jezza.
>> No. 22716 Anonymous
7th May 2019
Tuesday 6:34 am
22716 spacer
Alright, so we're just keeping the Jew-hating nonsense, aces.

With regards to the show, I'm very, very happy to have more intrigue back in the plot, but killing Misande felt cynical and Euron doesn't just sound, act and look wrong but has the dullest motivation out of any character I can think of from the series. I know he barely spoke this episode but every time he's on screen I'm mentally preparing for the worst. If he wasn't a Greyjoy I'd have to assume he'd fallen through space-time from another intellectual property. I know book-nerds are upset he's totally different to his character in said books, and that's probably a valid point, but regardless no one should have let that actor do his best Jack Sparrow-but-darker impression, it only draws attention to the fact that he's the only person solely where he is because he just likes power and being powerful and stuff, everyone else could probably have an entire ten part spin-off show about them, but show-Euron would struggle to flesh out a three-minute music video. Seriously, Jack Sparrow's opening scene in the entire Pirates franchise tells us more about the character than almost everything Euron's done on TV. If I keep thinking about him I might actually begin to hate him, so I'll stop.

Regarding the "cynicism" mentioned earlier, what I mean by that is what is Misande to anyone except Danny's mate/hairdresser and Greyworm's missus (for the past fortnight at that)? It just felt like a character the writers didn't have any room in the plot for, but who was nice enough to get people a bit more sadderer if she was killed; a cynical slaying, basically. I could be misrembering her importance and unapriciating her death as a result, and it definitely worked in the context of Greyworm and Danny having lacked a personal reason to hate Cersei before that. However, what didn't help was that it felt like scenes had been cut after the ambush and her appearing in King's Landing. Hey HBO! If you filmed it, put it in the show, people are already staying up until 4AM to watch the damn episodes, no one cares if they're two hours long at this point. I don't know, maybe they didn't film them, but it felt rushed either way.

Despite doing nothing but complaining, I did like the episode, but perhaps that's the bar GoT has set itself; that when it feels like a TV show for a couple of minutes, it sticks out like a sore-thumb.
>> No. 22717 Anonymous
7th May 2019
Tuesday 6:50 am
22717 spacer
>>22716
Euron only exists in the show as a device to move the plot along rather than being an actual fleshed out character.

I don't understand how Dany was unable to spot the fleet and be ambushed by it.

>> No. 22718 Anonymous
7th May 2019
Tuesday 7:26 am
22718 spacer
>>22717
Exactly. Danny's myopia aside for a moment, they should have just cut Euron altogether.

Maybe have that Kingsmoot thing say "we talked about it and, erm, we don't want to be ruled by the mind-broken eunuch or a fucking girl, because we're sexists who value rape and pillage more than being able to grow out own food, we're tired of dynastic politicking getting in our way, all Balon did for thirty years is mope, and neither of you are going to produce an heir, so the Moot's going to run the whole shebang, oligarchy style, baby!" Just have Balon die of pneumonia, because he's older than the average .gs user and lives on a cold, damp rock in the sea, no one will question it. As far as character development is concerned it's just the same as before regarding Theon and Yara. Theon still never got daddy's approval and Yara still gets betrayed by those she thought respected her. You even have a more sympathetic antognist, because after everything you've seen in the show who can honestly say they want to live under the rule of any king or queen in this damn universe? Even if you do you're still only an undiagnosed heart problem, or a fall off a wobbly ladder away from a Joffrey or a civil war or both.

Just have Cersei loan ships from someplace in Essos, maybe in the show the Golden Company also have a really powerful fleet. Oh, but wait then they'd have to give the Ironborn more than eight minutes of screentime per series, my bad, and in fairness writing a TV show is far harder than coming up with your own fanfiction. It's just the only "big" problem in the show, at all, in my opinion.
>> No. 22719 Anonymous
7th May 2019
Tuesday 8:18 am
22719 spacer
>>22716

They're basically just killing characters who serve no real purpose any more, because they've written themselves into a corner where they need to keep the actual important ones around or else everything falls apart, and they've got very few left. None of the deaths this series have been of any consequence, except the one they should have given the most impact, and it had none at all.

Clearly for several seasons now the show has been in the hands of hacks who don't understand how or why a death should be used to create impact and change the direction of the plot, they've just been doing it because they think that's what this show is meant to have.
>> No. 22721 Anonymous
7th May 2019
Tuesday 8:42 am
22721 spacer
>>22719
I agree the killing of secondary and tertiary characters has been a bit much this series, but I think calling the creative team behind it all "hacks" who've "written themsevles into a corner" is a bit much. The show still has plenty of plot left. Maybe it's a corner in a room shaped like dodecahedron, at worst. It's probably best to save such damning verdicts until after the show's wound up.
>> No. 22722 Anonymous
7th May 2019
Tuesday 10:49 am
22722 spacer
>>22719
>Clearly for several seasons now the show has been in the hands of hacks who don't understand how or why a death should be used to create impact and change the direction of the plot
The books have been in the hands of such a hack since day one.

Also, spoiler tags, you cunts .
>> No. 22725 Anonymous
7th May 2019
Tuesday 1:05 pm
22725 spacer
>>22722

I would have used spoilers if I actually spoiled anything you cunt.

>>22721

I don't know, I feel like it's an appropriate judgement. If you compare the earlier seasons to the last couple it's a shockingly drastic decline in quality. Somebody earlier compared it to Lost, and I feel that's very apt. Long arcs concluded badly because they never really knew where they were going with it, they were just making it look like they did. If you watch the behind the scenes bit at the end of each episode and hear them talk about what they did with the episode, you'll see what I mean.

The last episode was the best in has been for a long while now that a bit of intrigue and drama has managed to come back in- But it's a shadow of what the first two or three series were built upon.
>> No. 22727 Anonymous
7th May 2019
Tuesday 9:03 pm
22727 spacer
>>22716
Say what you want about Euron but he's entertaining in a 4channy way.


She's been in it since season 3 and been Greyworms love interest since that time he peaked on her in the nip. It's just generally been a poor romance. Do you think it's intentional that Euron constantly shows up Eunuchs but is himself getting played by Cersei?
>> No. 22728 Anonymous
7th May 2019
Tuesday 11:45 pm
22728 spacer
>>22727
>Say what you want about Euron but he's entertaining in a 4channy way.

The relavent authorities have been contacted and you have been forbidden from watching Game of Thrones ever again. A written notice should be with you shortly.
>> No. 22737 Anonymous
12th May 2019
Sunday 11:58 pm
22737 spacer
I wonder.
Is the decrease in discussion of episodes as time has gone by related to the drop in quality, or a drop in .gs users?
>> No. 22738 Anonymous
13th May 2019
Monday 12:04 am
22738 spacer

D57hhRyU8AAsR_B.jpg
227382273822738
>>22737
Drop in quality. There's simply less to discuss. Look at the (well-written and intelligently spoilered) OP, that was just one question about a single scene in an opening episode that brought up a handful of mysteries that all went off in new directions and physically drove characters all over the planet. Now they kill hairdressers.
>> No. 22739 Anonymous
13th May 2019
Monday 7:16 am
22739 spacer
>>22737
This place has a habit of discussing things extensively before they're out, followed by near silence once they're released. The Hobbit thread was a prime example of this.

If you want lots of replies on /v/ wait for Clarkson to do something and post about that.
>> No. 22740 Anonymous
13th May 2019
Monday 7:33 am
22740 spacer

1557726105590.png
227402274022740

>> No. 22741 Anonymous
13th May 2019
Monday 8:02 am
22741 spacer
Remember when we cared about Cleganebowl?
>> No. 22742 Anonymous
13th May 2019
Monday 11:11 am
22742 spacer
For fuck sake.

"I didn't come here to become Queen of the ashes." - a literal thing Daenerys says in the show. What even is this, it's an absolute mess. She has never blamed the people for the crimes of their lords.

So Character assassination of, so far, Stannis, Jaime and Daenerys.

>> No. 22743 Anonymous
13th May 2019
Monday 6:20 pm
22743 spacer

9hg4kEv.jpg
227432274322743
>>22742
Daenerys arc makes complete sense and likely what GRRM had planned from the start. She realised that she will never be loved and has rationally concluded that to rule she must do so by fear - a line she states to Jon Snow when he refuses her advances. This was already strongly established in the episode where she was burning Lannister soldiers alive and letting her Huns massacre everyone.

This is in line with GRRM famous criticism of LotR's failure to show the actual business of ruling and likely extermination of the Orcs. I'm frankly amazed you didn't see this coming from episode one.
>> No. 22744 Anonymous
13th May 2019
Monday 7:29 pm
22744 spacer

charliegoesamerica.jpg
227442274422744
Daenarys Stormborn Goes Targaryan All Over Everybody's Ass

>Dracarys, man, dracarys!

>> No. 22745 Anonymous
13th May 2019
Monday 8:01 pm
22745 spacer

D2cpEbnXcAE2Nzd.jpg
227452274522745
>>22743
There's a big difference between ruling by fear and fantasy nuking your own capital city that you have spent the best part of a decade trying to retake as your birthright. If she was going to become the most evil person in all of Westeros then we needed more than fifteen minutes for the change to come, not to mention the complete hack job we just witnessed done to Jaime and Sandor. The frauds sailing this ship off a waterfall just wanted to fill their show with Emmy bait 9/11 imagery and I promise you the words "this will blow the Red Wedding out of the water" were spoken during a writing session. Apparently people never change, unless it's for the fucking worse, everyone is Anakin Skywalker in the minds of Benioff and Weiss. Except Jon and Tyrion, who have become so catastrophically dumb I'm concerned they could die next episode after they forget to keep breathing. And I suppose the scorpions are just however accurate the script needs them to be, nor did Arya and Sandor talk once on the four-thousand mile trip down to King's Landing, except to tell him about hair conditioner.

When the First Crusade took Jeruselem they might have butchered a few thousand people, but they didn't pull down every fucking building and burn the rubble. And I don't want to hear about no Sacking of fucking Magdeburg, you disgusting nerds, that shit was an early-modern act of religiously motivated genocide, it's apples and oranges compared to why Daenarys was attacking King's Landing.

Speaking of Star Wars I hope Benioff and Weiss enjoy their big fat Disney cheques, which I suspect might be the reason behind them wrapping this up in a mere 6 episodes.
>> No. 22746 Anonymous
13th May 2019
Monday 8:10 pm
22746 spacer
I haven't watched the series due to my poor attention span, but I have read the Wikipedia episode summaries, and it sounds fucking dreadful. I'd be pissed off if I'd invested like 70 hours of my life on a show which looks like it's going to have a piss poor ending.
>> No. 22747 Anonymous
13th May 2019
Monday 8:28 pm
22747 spacer
lol
>> No. 22748 Anonymous
13th May 2019
Monday 10:40 pm
22748 spacer
Heed the sunk cost fallacy. It makes no sense to spend time watching the finale.
>> No. 22749 Anonymous
15th May 2019
Wednesday 2:36 pm
22749 spacer

60303654_2333846156682862_5255165904274063360_n.jpg
227492274922749
That's enough internet for today.
>> No. 22750 Anonymous
15th May 2019
Wednesday 4:01 pm
22750 spacer
>>22749
It has been 48 hours, I still think this needed a season to mature not a single episode. The TV show has spent 7 seasons taking great pains to show she wasn't like her Father, with D&D confirming it in their post-episode discussion segments. Her descent into madness should have began when Viserion died at least and she should have been more suspicious of the Dragons letting Jon ride them.

Ultimately, it's beautifully shot and well directed by safe hands and the costume designers are also phenomenal, but it's written by 2 total incompetents and I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise at this point.
>> No. 22751 Anonymous
15th May 2019
Wednesday 4:05 pm
22751 spacer
>>22750
Plotters vs. pantsers.

https://twitter.com/DSilvermint/status/1125856091261136896
>> No. 22752 Anonymous
15th May 2019
Wednesday 4:37 pm
22752 spacer
>>22750
Benioff and Weiss are directing the finale.
>> No. 22755 Anonymous
15th May 2019
Wednesday 5:58 pm
22755 spacer
>>22751

Why the fuck did this fucking prick write that as twenty odd fucking twitter posts instead of just putting it on Reddit or something like a sane and mentally functioning fucking adult, jesus fucking christ.
>> No. 22756 Anonymous
15th May 2019
Wednesday 6:09 pm
22756 spacer
>>22755
Same reason anyone posts on Twitter. They're pricks.
>> No. 22757 Anonymous
15th May 2019
Wednesday 6:13 pm
22757 spacer
>>22752
D&D are competent directors, they just shouldn't be helming the writing of a show like this on their own. They need oversight and until the end of season 4 they did have, but George got so annoyed at them he left his role as Exec Producer if the rumours of his exit are to be believed.

They are the Peter Molyneux of TV and film.
>> No. 22759 Anonymous
17th May 2019
Friday 1:07 pm
22759 spacer
I'm hearing nothing except whining from people about how they don't like the ending, but I think the truth is that ending a programme like this one was always going to be controversial.

To those saying that Daenerys becoming mad queen was out of character, I disagree, I found the programme to be full of foreshadowing for this moment (I've expected it for years); the following link is very informative on the matter: https://tinyurl.com/y3pf68e2

>>22742

Why do you think that Stannis and Jaime had their characters assassinated?
>> No. 22761 Anonymous
17th May 2019
Friday 1:22 pm
22761 spacer
>>22759
Jaime escaped Cersei's influence and when she was on trail for fucking Lancel, et al, he let her rot. In the show, he does this later and for different reasons, but still does it, and then... goes back? Completely nonsensical. Especially considering what he says when he confesses to Brienne at Harrenhal vs what he says when he leaves her at Winterfell this season about the small folk in the city of Kings Landing. Jaime wants to be an honourable knight, that's his character arc.

Stannis says in Theon's PoV from the start of WoW, a chapter that coincidentally George released after he burned Shireen (I think not), that Lord Darry might hear of his death at Winterfell while in Bravos hiring sellswords, but that it wont matter. He was to seat his daughter on the throne or die in the attempt. George also describes Stannis as the only real hero in Westeros. Burning Shireen is miles off base. Fucking miles.

Dany going mad has not been foreshadowed, in quite the way you imply and it needed an entire season to mature not a single poorly written episode where she burns a city because Euron killed her Dragon.
>> No. 22762 Anonymous
17th May 2019
Friday 2:55 pm
22762 spacer
>>22759
I've been saying she was going to be a mad Targaryen since series four or five, but I didn't expect it to happen in the span of fifteen minutes. This series has been a half-arsed hack job, anyone not seeing that is willfully ignoring what's right in front of them. Even the underwhelming series seven looks like a masterpiece compared to what's happening now, it's just become this character kills that character over and over, with said characters acting as if hours of on-screen personal development hadn't occured, all in order to wrap the show up so D&D can leave and earn that fat Disney cash (in my opinion). No intrigue, no mystery, nothing, just labourious plots done as quickly as possible, with so much of what came before discounted I'm actually staggered by it. From the silly, "I've never known bells to mean surrender", Davos Seaworth, series 2, episode 9, to the confusing, regarding Jaime's direct contradiction of his previously stated reasons for killing Aerys II, the Mad King, and thereafter being known as the most dishonourable man in Westeros for the rest of his life. I guess he just did it because he thought it would be funny.

Honestly this might be the worst ending I've seen, ever, and it's not even over yet. People flipped their lid about how dumb the ending of Mass Effect 3 was, and they weren't wrong, but it didn't do an about turn on loads of its major characters for no reason. But what's the point in rewatching old GoT episodes now, if none of those scenes with Sandor build up to anything meaningful, or all the mystic happenings beyond The Wall end in the blink of an eye with no real pay-off? At least Bioware were being leaned on by EA to get ME3 out the door ASAP, whereas HBO were offering as much time as Benioff and Weiss wanted to finish up the show, but they decided to spend two years on dodgy scripts and all but meaningless battle sequences.
>> No. 22763 Anonymous
17th May 2019
Friday 5:28 pm
22763 spacer
>>22762
>HBO were offering as much time as Benioff and Weiss wanted to finish up the show
Source?
>> No. 22764 Anonymous
17th May 2019
Friday 5:48 pm
22764 spacer
>>22763
https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/09/game-of-thrones-season-8-showrunners-interview/

Return ] Entire Thread ] First 100 posts ] Last 50 posts ]
whiteline

Delete Post []
Password