[ rss / options / help ]
post ]
[ b / iq / g / zoo ] [ e / news / lab ] [ v / nom / pol / eco / emo / 101 / shed ]
[ art / A / beat / boo / com / fat / job / lit / map / mph / poof / £$€¥ / spo / uhu / uni / x / y ] [ * | sfw | o ]
logo
healthy

Return ]

Posting mode: Reply
Reply ]
Subject   (reply to 4602)
Message
File  []
close
swdye.jpg
460246024602
>> No. 4602 Anonymous
19th August 2018
Sunday 7:16 pm
4602 Health benefits of following a vegan diet
Alright lads

Wondering if there's anyone on this who can shed any light on the health benefits/drawbacks of following a vegan or otherwise plant-based diet?

Reason I'm asking is that anything I find backing up my own experience seems a bit quacky or otherwise contains a bit of an agenda. Nutritional advice on the internet is mental.

Thoughts?

For myself, I cut out the shite at the end of December, and have noticed a lot of positive changes. My reasons for doing so were that I was getting a lot of colds, flus, coughs, fevers and the like. Since then, I haven't had a sniffle, I've lost 4 stone and my erectile dysfunction disappeared.

However, I'm not sure if those are a result of introducing a lot of veg, or a result of cutting out the mince and cheese.

Expand all images.
>> No. 4603 Anonymous
19th August 2018
Sunday 7:41 pm
4603 spacer
Vegetarianism is piss easy and most people end up eating a healthier diet, because they're replacing meat with more veg or lower-calorie meat substitutes.

Veganism is trickier, especially if you're going for a very natural plant-based diet. We evolved as omnivores and there are a lot of essential micronutrients with few or no plant-based sources. Vitamin B12 deficiency is the most obvious risk, but a lot of vegans are chronically deficient in vitamin D during the winter months. Weirdly enough, crappy breakfast cereals like Rice Krispies are a really useful addition to a vegetarian or vegan diet - they're fortified with all the vitamins that you're least likely to get from a plant-based diet.

Nutritional advice on the internet is mental, mostly because it massively overcomplicates things. As long as you're not obese and you're eating a reasonably well balanced diet, you're fine.
>> No. 4604 Anonymous
19th August 2018
Sunday 8:17 pm
4604 spacer
>>4603
Unfortunately for us, lots of cereals are fortified also with D3, which is usually derived from animal products and knocks a lot of Kellogg's offerings on the head. Sorry bub, just eat some oats, it's far better for you than a bowl of Crunchy Nut.

As for B12, we don't get it from well water or living with our livestock any more, so we're all dealing with the same deficiencies in our food chains, in that livestock under factory farming conditions are supplemented with it to replace its loss due to, well, factory farming. You're either supplementing the cattle, or supplementing yourself. I'd recommend the Vegan Society's multivit, it's cheap as chips and the 180 tub will last you half a year. If you really want to go deep on B12, have fun reading this entire fucking Wiki full of citations and evidence-based approach from a fairly respectable source (although aggravatingly it now seems they DO have a popup advertising some kind of "pay us to tell you how to be vegan" on their site, but the information is still all free): https://veganhealth.org/vitamin-b12/

Approached sensibly a vegan diet can be just as healthy (if not usually more so, unless you live off frozen vegan meat substitutes, chips and Lotus biscuits*) than an omnivore/carnist one. Usually people end up losing weight and getting better skin because, up until about 5 years ago, you were fucking forced to cook for yourself. Which is good, because it teaches people to not be scared of their own kitchens and think a bit more about what goes in their gobs.

*Look fuck you, buddy, just because that's all I've eaten today doesn't make me a bad vegan or unqualified to give this advice, it just means Lotus biscuits are the fucking tits and I'm on my period. Which, incidentally, doesn't even affect my haem levels any more. I'm not about to say going vegan fixed my anaemia, but I couldn't donate blood when I was omnivore and now I can, so shut up and go make an appointment at your local donor centre, thank you.

Luckily for you, times have been a-changing and now most chain restaurants are having to cater to a vegan section of the market. Unless you live in bumfuck nowhere, you can find somewhere with vegan options eating out in nearly all urban areas. Even fucking Ember Inns has a vegan main now (lentil and sweet potato cottage pie, if you were wondering, and it's alright) so you don't have to miss any awkward Sunday meals with your da.

Honestly, the most stressful thing about being vegan is dealing with other people who become overnight nutritionists as soon as they hear the V-word. But we already know hell is other people, and you must be a cantankerous cunt if you're posting here, so I'm sure you'll cope.
>> No. 4605 Anonymous
19th August 2018
Sunday 8:32 pm
4605 spacer
>>4604

I reckon a nice bacon sandwich would cheer you right up.
>> No. 4606 Anonymous
19th August 2018
Sunday 8:39 pm
4606 spacer
>>4604
I thought multivitamin tablets were proven to be at best useless and at worst harmful.
>> No. 4607 Anonymous
19th August 2018
Sunday 8:47 pm
4607 spacer
>>4606
Then buy organic or shove a handful of compost in your smoothie, I don't fucking know. If I start getting any signs of neuropathy in the next 4 years I will make it my dying wish to get to a computer, fire up .gs and tell you all that not only is >>4605 incredibly funny, he was right too.
>> No. 4608 Anonymous
19th August 2018
Sunday 9:11 pm
4608 spacer
>>4606

My doctor told me that most stuff you get more than enough of even in a fairly shite diet, but he reckons Vitamin D, Zinc, and Magnesium are good to take as it's hard to get enough just from food.
>> No. 4609 Anonymous
19th August 2018
Sunday 9:13 pm
4609 spacer
>>4604

>Honestly, the most stressful thing about being vegan is dealing with other people who become overnight nutritionists as soon as they hear the V-word.

HOW HAVE YOU NOT PASSED OUT YET? IT'S BAD FOR YOU YOU KNOW
>> No. 4610 Anonymous
19th August 2018
Sunday 9:18 pm
4610 spacer
>>4604
>Honestly, the most stressful thing about being vegan is dealing with other people

Exactly this. I've been vegan for a long time and its other peoples reactions that are the worst - it has got better over the last ten years, but a LOT of people will try and "catch you out" on your eating (or clothing) choices.

As you say, things have improved eating out though, we recently holidayed in Dorset and almost every (non chain) foodie pub had multiple options.

On the B12 thing, if you like it, Marmite has enough.
>> No. 4611 Anonymous
19th August 2018
Sunday 9:23 pm
4611 spacer
>>4610

Do you mind when people have legitimate questions about the sort of things you eat, or does that get dull too?

I don't know many vegans (possibly none) and I'm always curious about the day-to-day of it, I imagine it's a lot of quite interesting meals we wouldn't normally consider.

I've always shyed away from asking as I assume you're probably sick of answering questions like 'wot do u do insted of eggs?' and that.
>> No. 4612 Anonymous
19th August 2018
Sunday 9:47 pm
4612 spacer
I think a lot of the benefits come from the fact that you almost can't really eat processed foods, and tend to get a lot of vegetables which give you a lot more nutrition, as well as making sure that your insulin doesn't really spike which I think is lovely.

I did think vegan was the ideal, but I've softened my ideal into just understanding that 75% of your food should come from fruit, vegetables, or wholegrain stuff.

I've been vegetarian for a year and a half and it's been great, but a few years ago I went 'low-carb' and thought that was the bomb. I don't really think it was the 'low-carb' part, as it was the 'okay don't eat white bread, biscuits, and cakes' part.

There's a huge wealth of misinformation going around, and I think vegan diets tend to deal with that misinformation pretty well.

My friend was trying to force me to eat M&S Granola cookies the other day because 'it's granola and that's healthy'

To add to my disorganised and poorly written post: my Grandfather told me that he didn't really eat a lot of meat when he was younger, maybe once or twice a week. I think it was quite normal to eat meat little and often, and sustain yourself mostly off vegetables and decent breads. But now we've got ARE PASTIES
>> No. 4613 Anonymous
19th August 2018
Sunday 9:58 pm
4613 spacer
>>4611
Not >>4610, but I actually love chatting about food when it's not in those scenarios he mentioned. I love feeding people, and trying out recipes, and occasionally getting a compliment that it doesn't taste like dirt "even though it's vegan!" (well, other than my smoothies). There are also plenty of vegans who don't really like cooking, and still manage to eat pretty well with minimal effort; anyone can throw together a vat of chilli on Sunday night in the slow cooker and feed themselves for the week - be it meat-free or not - which is the kind of recipe people tend to give to anyone who wants to get into feeding themselves better. Personally I mostly just eat what I always have, with a lot more veg and some substitutions. Eggs are a piece of piss to replace in baked goods, but a bit more difficult in savoury recipes. I do a nice tofu quiche, though.

>>4610
I can't believe I forgot about Marmite. It even has the logo on the back now.
>> No. 4614 Anonymous
19th August 2018
Sunday 10:02 pm
4614 spacer
>>4612
>I think a lot of the benefits come from the fact that you almost can't really eat processed foods

Nah, sorry mate, vegan diets can be just as shitty as the person eating them. Just look at me and my bag of Co-Op donuts. https://veganuary.com/starter-kit/accidentally-vegan-products-uk/ (It really is all down to how you approach it. We should all be eating more home-cooked, veg-based meals. It's as simple as that.)
>> No. 4615 Anonymous
19th August 2018
Sunday 11:25 pm
4615 spacer
>>4613

>There are also plenty of vegans who don't really like cooking, and still manage to eat pretty well with minimal effort

This was what I've always wondered about. I'm a cheflad so when I think 'vegan' I think about lots of lentil and bean soaking, lots of roasting aubergines, and lots of complicated japanese tofu dishes. I suppose the reality for someone who isn't a food wanker like myself it's closer to quorn (or whatever else if that's not vegan) sausages and chips, but for some reason I never thought about that until now.

As someone who has to design menus I've always been very conscious of the limited choices you lot have in 'regular' restaurants. I'm sure there's only so many bowls of risotto one person can eat. I know it's getting better these days, but I still work hard to offer interesting options wherever I can.

I've been thinking about this a lot, really. As a professional I'm quite confident that I understand the wants and needs of people like me, i.e. meat eaters - I have that sixth sense for what people want on a menu, but it's always meat centric. Even my veggie plates often end up being adapted from meat based dishes - which is why I've been considering going vegan for a decent amount of time, maybe half a year minimum, so I can learn what it is you really 'want' when that's your daily diet. Not to mention I suspect it'll be cheaper and probably healthier for me, as I think about my fridge full of chorizo and fatty calf's liver and so on.

Sage for being a wanker and musing about the culinary mindset of a vegan as if you're an alien. Hopefully you get what I mean.
>> No. 4616 Anonymous
20th August 2018
Monday 12:08 am
4616 spacer
>>4612
Yes, people didn't eat meat very often in generations past, but that's irrelevant. If you're going to appeal to your ancestors then you might as well start eating everything raw like a caveman.
>> No. 4617 Anonymous
20th August 2018
Monday 12:34 am
4617 spacer
>>4615

Personally, my favourite meals tend to be similar to thali. They're not necessarily very complicated, but they have a variety of distinct tastes and textures. I appreciate that cooking and plating lots of little things is a pain in the arse in a commercial kitchen, but some simple additions can make a big difference - some crunchy raw peppers in lemon juice or vinaigrette, a crispy little puri or some tortilla chips, a blob of chutney or relish, a little nest of grated carrot or sprouted seeds, a sprinkle of nuts. If my plate looks fresh and colourful, I'm probably happy.
>> No. 4618 Anonymous
21st August 2018
Tuesday 1:57 pm
4618 spacer
>>4615

One thing I've noticed in restaurants is that there's never just a nice big salad, it's always one that's intended to be served with a meat or substitute (halloumi is the 'in' thing right now), or otherwise something vegan that's still somehow pumped full of salt, fat and sugar through overly rich dressings.

It's not even a proper whinge though, but I'd like it if, when I'm dragged to a restaurant by the missus or mates that I can just enjoy the veg for what it is, cos it tastes nice enough to me as is.

That's just me though, as I enjoy simple food. It feels like there's a bit of a concerted effort to overcomplicate food even in the chains. Even the normal pubs round here are peddling sweet potato and halloumi like it's going out of fashion.
>> No. 4620 Anonymous
24th August 2018
Friday 1:06 pm
4620 spacer
>>4608
>>4606

All I can tell you is I've been taking a multivitamin and "men's health" tablet for the last couple of weeks and my stiffys have been well vigorous.

Return ]
whiteline

Delete Post []
Password