[ rss / options / help ]
post ]
[ b / iq / g / zoo ] [ e / news / lab ] [ v / nom / pol / eco / emo / 101 / shed ]
[ art / A / beat / boo / com / fat / job / lit / map / mph / poof / £$€¥ / spo / uhu / uni / x / y ] [ * | sfw | o ]
logo
mph

Return ]

Posting mode: Reply
Reply ]
Subject   (reply to 3953)
Message
File  []
close
IMG_20171102_090207302.jpg
395339533953
>> No. 3953 Anonymous
2nd November 2017
Thursday 9:57 am
3953 spacer
Can I fix this with touch up paint?
Expand all images.
>> No. 3955 Anonymous
2nd November 2017
Thursday 10:32 am
3955 spacer
>>3953

Just asked my old man: Rub it down with very fine sandpaper first, then spray over it.
>> No. 3956 Anonymous
2nd November 2017
Thursday 12:40 pm
3956 spacer
Fix to the level of the leasing company not noticing? Not a chance.
That does look like a sacrificial bit of bodywork - worth checking to see how much it would cost to just snap a new one on.
>> No. 3957 Anonymous
2nd November 2017
Thursday 1:10 pm
3957 spacer
>>3956

A new bumper you mean?
>> No. 3958 Anonymous
2nd November 2017
Thursday 1:30 pm
3958 spacer

joint.jpg
395839583958
does that little scratched corner bit not come off on its own? Looks like it should.
>> No. 3959 Anonymous
2nd November 2017
Thursday 2:05 pm
3959 spacer
>>3956
>leasing company

Is this so normal people just assume it now? Fucking hell.
>> No. 3960 Anonymous
2nd November 2017
Thursday 2:20 pm
3960 spacer
>>3959
I think the assumption was that if someone's asking about that sort of damage then it's probably not their car. If that were mine, I wouldn't worry about it, but if it were a rental I know I'm going to be hot for a couple of hundred quid, which is be without for a couple of weeks until the insurance cheque clears.
>> No. 3961 Anonymous
2nd November 2017
Thursday 4:05 pm
3961 spacer
>>3959

It's pretty standard to get your car on PCP or lease. So much so that the car modding subcultures make it a point of pride they own their vehicles outright.
>> No. 3962 Anonymous
2nd November 2017
Thursday 7:29 pm
3962 spacer
>>3960
>>3959

It's my car. I'll take it to the bodyshop next week.

>>3958
Maybe, but I have a sinking suspicion it's fixed to the bumper.
>> No. 3963 Anonymous
2nd November 2017
Thursday 11:30 pm
3963 spacer
>>3961
Really? I had no idea things were so bad.
>> No. 3964 Anonymous
3rd November 2017
Friday 5:29 am
3964 spacer
>>3963

I don't think it's bad, I just think your average person doesn't want to own the same car forever anymore. Why do it when you can be driving the latest model every three years?
>> No. 3965 Anonymous
3rd November 2017
Friday 6:06 am
3965 spacer
>>3964

Yeah, who wants to actually own shit? I'm going to rent my TV from Netflix, keep all my most beloved pictures on Facebook's servers and order all my meals from a company I heard about on a podcast, and if they fold I'll just fuckin' starve to death, woo! Yeah, dude! Woo!

I'm not slating you, just the entire economic structure of the near future.
>> No. 3966 Anonymous
3rd November 2017
Friday 6:30 am
3966 spacer
>>3965

I get your point, but really I only own cars outright because I'm lucky enough to have a healthy salary AND I'm a car enthusiast. Plenty of my friends simply can't afford to own a car outright, and buying to own on finance is a worse idea than a lease or PCP.
>> No. 3967 Anonymous
3rd November 2017
Friday 7:19 am
3967 spacer
>>3966 latest model every three years?
Cars are getting worse, not better, from my PoV. I'm fine with holding on to what I have.
>> No. 3968 Anonymous
3rd November 2017
Friday 2:04 pm
3968 spacer
>>3964
Because its expensive as shit.
>> No. 3969 Anonymous
3rd November 2017
Friday 2:35 pm
3969 spacer
>>3968
Compared to what?
>> No. 3970 Anonymous
3rd November 2017
Friday 4:49 pm
3970 spacer
>>3968

It's not particularly. You can drive around in a new Merc worth 100 grand for a few hundred a month, and never have to worry about trying to sell it at a loss years later.

It's still not something I would do personally, but it's hard to deny the appeal. The only real argument is that you'd prefer to own your car, which is perfectly valid but has its own pitfalls.

Speaking as someone who buys cars outright, it's lovely to not feel like you're driving someone else's car, but as I type this I'm staring out the window at the RX8 that has sat in my drive for a year and a half, just wishing it was Mazda's burden instead of mine. That's a fairly extreme example, but nothing I've ever bought will see a return.
>> No. 3971 Anonymous
3rd November 2017
Friday 4:53 pm
3971 spacer
>>3969

Buying a decent low-mileage car and keeping hold of it until something expensive blows up. Spend £3000ish on a used Toyota, Suzuki or Kia and it'll give you years of trouble-free motoring.

If you buy from a dealer and have half-decent credit, you can use a credit card on a 0% spending deal - several card companies are offering 30 month interest free deals. Buying on a credit card means you're covered by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, meaning that the card company is jointly liable for the purchase; if the car goes wrong and the dealer dicks you about, the card company have to sort it out.
>> No. 3972 Anonymous
4th November 2017
Saturday 11:32 am
3972 spacer
Body shop man said £120 to fix it. Said touch up paint isn't enough as he needs to use primer.

2 hours work at 40 per hour. Then 40 for materials. Gonna get a second opinion and might end up doing it myself.
>> No. 3973 Anonymous
4th November 2017
Saturday 11:40 am
3973 spacer
>>3970
> You can drive around in a new Merc worth 100 grand for a few hundred a month

I would love so see this deal.
>> No. 3974 Anonymous
4th November 2017
Saturday 5:24 pm
3974 spacer
>>3972
>Said touch up paint isn't enough as he needs to use primer.
Sounds about right. There's a bit in the middle of the top scratch which looks like it's gone right through, as does most of the bottom scratch.

Return ]
whiteline

Delete Post []
Password